• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...-misconduct-claims-1170077?utm_source=twitter

But with the second season of the show set to premiere Jan. 20, SMILF has become a production plagued by allegations of abusive behavior and violations of industry rules. Despite the involvement of several experienced producers and oversight from executives at both Showtime and Disney's ABC Signature Studios, which produces the show, matters have nonetheless reached a point where one performer is exiting amid claims her contract was breached due to two mishandled sex scenes, numerous employees have contacted Disney's anonymous tip line about an array of issues and complaints have reached the major talent guilds, including allegations of separating writers by race.

THR has learned that multiple staffers have made complaints to the WGA about both credit issues and alleged race-based separation, though no formal grievances have been filed. (The guild is said to be encouraging writers to file complaints and possibly to pursue litigation.) Several sources say writers of color were put in different rooms from Caucasian writers and felt that their ideas were exploited without pay or credit.

But several insiders on SMILF who spoke to THR on the condition of anonymity say they are extremely fearful that Shaw will try to sabotage them professionally if they speak publicly about alleged issues on the show. They also express great disappointment at what they describe as manipulative and inequitable treatment — with behavior veering from warm to cold and threatening — coming from a rising female showrunner that has been outspoken in the #MeToo and Time's Up movements.
"She uses this idea of being feminist and a progressive as camouflage," says one staffer. Says another, "A lot of shows are generally unpleasant. Production is stressful. There are a lot of shows where people are angry at each other and then it's over and then you celebrate the work. This was not like that. People were really traumatized. It was pretty upsetting."

In the second season, Weaving was set to do another intimate scene with Gomez, one in which he was nude and she was wearing only a T-shirt and underwear. Sources say the pair asked to meet with director Cate Shortland without Shaw present. They explained the season-one conflict over the nude scene and stressed the importance of having their privacy respected. On the morning of the shoot, the set closed and monitors outside were turned off.
Shaw was not present the day the scene was shot. However, she texted a staffer to ask how it was progressing. When told the monitors were off, she is said to have instructed that they be turned on, and producer Allyce Ozarski carried out the order. More than a dozen staffers were in the room when the unfolding scene appeared on two screens, sources say, with the actors unaware. Weaving learned what had happened from the writers and sources believe she reported the incident to SAG-AFTRA and Showtime.

More at the link, but sounds like a shitshow, and people are scared of Shaw.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Wait: segregation, coerced nudity, credit appropriation, Belittling of peoples feeling, requests to comment "positively" and/or not having knowledge of set conditions(I dont believe she didnt know Samara wanted a closed set, she just didnt care)

Damn Frankie Shaw really trying to tick off all the boxes of being a shitty showrunner.

I really liked Frankie Shaw as well, I was hoping Smilf would be a show that runs a while, but looks like the third season might be in limbo unless this get sorted out.

I feel for the writers, assistants and other lowerlevel production staff in this situation....if they talk publicly they are effectively fucked because she is powerful enough to crush them right now. If they speak anonymously we are less likely to believe them and studios are probably less likely to actually do anything about the situation.
They need to band together and all speak out.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
aww damn I was really into this show, without her it all falls apart since she's both the star and showrunner. she sounds like such a shit.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
The environment of fear that it is creating for the others is horrible as well. I was really wanting to give this show a try but after reading this I think I am going to pass.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
"Race based separation" - uh.....what? Why?

So that if the blacks come up with an idea, you can move it to the white room for "review". Change nothing and give all the credit to the white room.
Black room gets told, Yes we took your idea and reworked it into what it is now, your input was just a small grain of what we had actually brought into production give you full credit would be a disservice to the white people who reworked the idea into a production ready thing.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Shaw was not present the day the scene was shot. However, she texted a staffer to ask how it was progressing. When told the monitors were off, she is said to have instructed that they be turned on,

What a fucking power trip

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well Frankie sounds like a piece of shit if even one of these things is slightly true. Good lord, from racism to sexual exploitation.