• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
They've got good customer service though, in case something goes wrong!

Wat?

Kept meaning to post this but I think I'm done with playasia because of customer service. Last package just never showed up and they told me since last tracking showed it got to America and there is no tracking after that I'm sol. So whatever, I just rebuy it since it's the first issue I've had but I'm still out a full game.

Months pass and I put in another order with them (Oniken + Odallus Collection) and it comes in a crushed box with heavy damage to the gamebox itself. Contact them because they have a tweet about their limited things having some sort of guarantee, but nope, since the shipping box was damaged they don't do shit. Oh but since I've bought so much I get a $10 credit. :c

How a web store handles shipping may be the most important thing to me and they just don't.

Jan 11, 2018

I had a package arrive in my country and then mysteriously just sent back the next day. Contacted their customer service and they offered to send me the same order again, either with the same shipping method at no additional charges or pay for a different shipping method this time. I wish they would offer shipping with DHL though, like Amazon JP does.

Samuray

Nov 21, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
So far I've had only good things to say about Play Asia's customer service. However, that may change now...

I buy quite a few of their Exclusives, and I always use DDP shipping because German customs enjoy way too much making me drive 80 miles to pay 5,50€ in taxes.

Then came those days when they changed their shipping carrier or whatever and stuff got turned around by customs, like in my case "I am the Hero". They re-sent my copy without additional cost, which was awesome.

"Ghoulboy" got stuck in customs too, and I wrote an email, telling them about it. They say "Well, you used DDU shipping" and I'm like "What?! No way!! I would never .... ohlookyou'reright..."

My mistake.

They say "No worries, dude. Just let it get returned to us, then we re-ship it with DDP and you just pay those taxes"
I'm really really happy and grateful, and off we go. For 18 weeks or so. Maybe even more. That's how long it took the freighter to take it back across the ocean.

Anyway, just this week it finally arrived with them, and now....they want 20 bucks. Nope, no more free shipping for me. I get confused because it was free before and when they offered the return, they clearly said I'd only have to pay taxes for DDP. But they won't budge, at least not at first. Now they have escalated the matter to...someone? and I will hear their decision soon. Somehow I can't imagine they'll just say "Oh, you're right, sorry 'bout that, here you go"....but we'll see.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I wish LRG put all their shit in Best Buy. I'm done with the boutique shit.

I stopped buying LRG stuff it feels great. Their business model makes me unhappy and having to camp for games I want is unfortunate. I just can't do it anymore.

I miss when we had companies like Working Designs who put out quality niche games and every release felt special.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped buying LRG stuff it feels great. Their business model makes me unhappy and having to camp for games I want is unfortunate. I just can't do it anymore.

I miss when we had companies like Working Designs who put out quality niche games and every release felt special.

the company is only fine if you're only going for regular editions of switch games because pretty much every title has been on pre-order, i still don't understand why PS4 games haven't hit pre-order on everything yet but maybe it'll change once the vita is dead and gone from their warehouse

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I buy a lot less LRG games than I used to and it's great. I definitely was a HUGE fan when they got started but that wore off quickly. They still get some titles that I'm excited about but I do my best to steer clear. It sucks when I get a package from them 4 months later and I wish I hadn't ordered it. I'm about to receive a game from them on both Switch and PS4 that I've 100% achieved on PC already. I'm dumb.

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
the company is only fine if you're only going for regular editions of switch games because pretty much every title has been on pre-order, i still don't understand why PS4 games haven't hit pre-order on everything yet but maybe it'll change once the vita is dead and gone from their warehouse

Hopefully. I love my Vita, but really sick of all the drama that surrounds each release with selling out in 2-3 minutes and LRG continually not listening to their customers asking for 1/customer limit. I mean, come on LRG, It's pretty rare customers in any instance purposely ask for their purchases to be limited!

If no pre-orders on all PS4 titles moving forward, hopefully we get that on PS5. Either way, I really only buy exclusives for Switch or titles that just seem like a better experience on it. I have been loving not having to freak out on Friday morning though with those releases.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Yeah I buy a lot less LRG games than I used to and it's great. I definitely was a HUGE fan when they got started but that wore off quickly. They still get some titles that I'm excited about but I do my best to steer clear. It sucks when I get a package from them 4 months later and I wish I hadn't ordered it. I'm about to receive a game from them on both Switch and PS4 that I've 100% achieved on PC already. I'm dumb.

I have the same sentiment, I panic buy stuff that I kind of sort of want from them. Moving away from LA and being away from my PS4 has been wonderful in that my orders for short run games have greatly diminished. Only stuff I'd really really really want.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017

They've done PS4 pre-orders and it sold horribly.

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
I had a complete Limited Run collection for quite a while, but sold almost everything and haven't placed an order in a long time. I think I came out pretty far ahead because of the premium the early releases had so that's a plus.

They really went downhill in quality and have been putting out way too much. I remember that Switch releases were supposed to be 1-2 per month, haha.

It took a combination of things. Taking preorders way too early, taking advantage of the complete set collectors with variants, overpriced CE's, and pointless trading cards that no one other than Josh will ever have a complete set of. And my last 2 interactions with CS were pretty bad, which turned me off.

Jan 11, 2018
Considering how well they're doing, I mostly just wish for them to open up a European branch. They're no longer as niche as they once were.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
They've done PS4 pre-orders and it sold horribly.
so they only do limited numbered run prints to get their numbers up ?

I had a complete Limited Run collection for quite a while, but sold almost everything and haven't placed an order in a long time. I think I came out pretty far ahead because of the premium the early releases had so that's a plus.

They really went downhill in quality and have been putting out way too much. I remember that Switch releases were supposed to be 1-2 per month, haha.

It took a combination of things. Taking preorders way too early, taking advantage of the complete set collectors with variants, overpriced CE's, and pointless trading cards that no one other than Josh will ever have a complete set of. And my last 2 interactions with CS were pretty bad, which turned me off.

i don't know if this post is just in general or reflecting on my post but i don't buy everything LRG do, only the stuff i want mostly like FMV games or the Japanese games that have next to no chance of getting physials over herelike Raygigant or the Nurse Love series VNs

Considering how well they're doing, I mostly just wish for them to open up a European branch. They're no longer as niche as they once were.

sadly that wouldn't happen, they'd also have to pay PEGI rating fees too but instead they're fine with $15 shipping per game and no hold orders to help get subsequent orders get cheaper shipping for those who pretty much have the choice of no physical or get it through them

Jan 11, 2018
sadly that wouldn't happen, they'd also have to pay PEGI rating fees too but instead they're fine with $15 shipping per game and no hold orders to help get subsequent orders get cheaper shipping for those who pretty much have the choice of no physical or get it through them

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe PEGI is even mandated (unlike ESRB). Would explain why it's not used by many similar companies based in Europe.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe PEGI is even mandated (unlike ESRB). Would explain why it's not used by many similar companies based in Europe.
i think it's pretty much required for them to be able to sell the game but it's not a requirement to include the rating on a cover if the game is sold only online which is what SLG are able to do

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
I've sold off all my LRG titles on eBay. It feels so good to be done "collecting" them. I only had about 15 anyways, and I got some tiny profit

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Just sell them..

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Anyone know if the Japanese version of River City Girls would have English? Lots of options if it does, and I'm guessing it will be a universal eshop Sku so it most likely would.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If anything, it's the other way around. Some European countries legally required PEGI (or other) ratings for selling games, while ESRB has no legal authority, as it's an industry-run self-regulation body.
Not that this matters, as all the platform holders demand age ratings for all releases anyway.

Samuray

Nov 21, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
LRG still has my hooked. Should I add "sadly"?

I don't nearly buy everything, but since I like so many kinds of games I still get more than I should.. :)

I do agree that LRG has really taken a turn for a worse, though:

- getting rid of any kind of help for international customers was tough and has massively diminished my purchases
- way way waaaay too many releases. I feel like they put out more games a month than any other traditional publisher.
- too many CEs: It's nothing special anymore and puts pressure on people who prefer CEs of indie games
- surprise announcements suck for financial planning, and they mostly don't care

It's all about making money, of course, and we all have, or had, to realize that LRG is not our buddy who just wants to provide great indies with physical releases. Way back Doug wrote one time in response to something "gotta grow the business!", and I clearly remember my feeling of "Oh god....that's not good".

I mean...yeah, when you create a company you usually wanna become a millionaire, I suppose, but it just would have been nice for LRG to have remained a small, nice niché company with that feeling of being run by fellow gamers and collectors.

Eh, whatever. I'm still very happy I can get physical copies of games that would otherwise have been impossible, and I for one have not considered getting out totally and selling everything. Not saying it couldn't come to that....but as of right now, I'm still on board for some games of theirs, every now and then. Also selling their games in Germany would be a pain in the ass....very few folks would be even interested, and international shipping would be a huge hassle. So....nah. ^^

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I've only bought Switch games from them (regular editions I don't need any more bulky plastic shit in my house), and every experience has been great. Easy to order, posts when they said, no problems. Postage is too expensive to Australia but eh.

The only exception is Celeste, but for a good reason. I'd imagine if they knew it would take this long they would have skipped waiting for the extra levels?

Oct 28, 2017
I've only bought Switch games from them (regular editions I don't need any more bulky plastic shit in my house), and every experience has been great. Easy to order, posts when they said, no problems. Postage is too expensive to Australia but eh.

The only exception is Celeste, but for a good reason. I'd imagine if they knew it would take this long they would have skipped waiting for the extra levels?
I think that was the original plan and it wasn't until people brought it up afterwards that they decided to hold off and wait.

Jan 11, 2018
If anything, it's the other way around. Some European countries legally required PEGI (or other) ratings for selling games, while ESRB has no legal authority, as it's an industry-run self-regulation body.

Wasn't the reason why they LRG started to use ESRB because they had to? And I think you can get around PEGI requirements simply by not operating from one of the countries that mandate it (there should be quite many that don't, but again would love to see some actual source on this).

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the reason why they LRG started to use ESRB because they had to? And I think you can get around PEGI requirements simply by not operating from one of the countries that mandate it (there should be quite many that don't, but again would love to see some actual source on this).
As I've said, Nintendo and Sony require an age rating for every release on their platforms, so they'd have to have them no matter where they sell their games. Some countries actually legally require age ratings for any game sold, but not NA, which is where ESRB is used (which, as I've said, has no official standing and is run by the industry itself).
You can see that some of their PC releases aren't rated, as with their retro releases.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
As I've said, Nintendo and Sony require an age rating for every release on their platforms, so they'd have to have them no matter where they sell their games. Some countries actually legally require age ratings for any game sold, but not NA, which is where ESRB is used (which, as I've said, has no official standing and is run by the industry itself).
You can see that some of their PC releases aren't rated, as with their retro releases.

they already had age ratings, it's the ESRB that forced them to get age ratings for the different medium release which ironically and coincidentally happened after they released Night Trap on PS4 which got ratings started back in the 90s

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
they already had age ratings, it's the ESRB that forced them to get age ratings for the different medium release which ironically and coincidentally happened after they released Night Trap on PS4 which got ratings started back in the 90s
Different medium releases? As in, across different platforms? You always have to re-rate those.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Edit: Gone

Is anyone thinking of buying anything from the NISA online store? I have $9.40 in points there that I'm never going to use.
I'll order whatever you want if you pay the rest. Just want to get rid of it.

Last edited:

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
I have $9.40 in points there that I'm never going to use.
I just stopped a while ago too, and they keep emailing me about my unspent reward points.
I couldn't justify buying a $100 CE when they started releasing 2 of them for the Switch/PS4. Dropping $200 on them because I didn't know which version was superior didn't make any sense. Buying neither has turned out to be pretty satisfying.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Nisa is releasing La Mulana 1+2 and the Psikyo Collections in the US and EU. Does anyone know if they plan to release standard editions without the extra stuff that comes with the LEs? Can't find anything about this now, only finding stores were you can pre-order the LEs but I don't care about that stuff.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
Nisa is releasing La Mulana 1+2 and the Psikyo Collections in the US and EU. Does anyone know if they plan to release standard editions without the extra stuff that comes with the LEs? Can't find anything about this now, only finding stores were you can pre-order the LEs but I don't care about that stuff.

This was discussed on CAG. They said that they are doing "Retail LE" now and there will only be one SKU.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
I just stopped a while ago too, and they keep emailing me about my unspent reward points.
I couldn't justify buying a $100 CE when they started releasing 2 of them for the Switch/PS4. Dropping $200 on them because I didn't know which version was superior didn't make any sense. Buying neither has turned out to be pretty satisfying.

Yeah, I want a few of the SW titles since that's a thing I like, and maybe a few other Vita titles, but other than that, I think I'm done. Not putting limits on certain titles has rubbed me the wrong way, and I don't have it in me to camp. I've spent plenty with them, and I think I'll just save my money for the most part, going forward. They did a good job early on, but their competitors are better, IMO.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017

There are Limited numbers for the SRG physical edition of Downwell.

Sale opens September 17th at 12:00pm CST/ -5 GMT.