• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
The challenge is to finish at least three games each month. I find that setting a target like this helps to motivate me to finish games I liked but abandoned, as well as to try new games.

There aren't any rules. The games can be long or very short. You could be near the end already or only just beginning. And though it's sometimes unclear what counts as finishing a game, you can use your own judgement.

Please post the games you hope to complete, but also share your successes, setbacks and impressions.

I find How Long to Beat to be a really useful general guide to game lengths.

Last month's thread:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/three-in-january-no-more-backlogs.90594/

Best of luck to everyone!

Credit for the OP and challenge also go to NeoGAF users Grief.exe, RichardAM, Roflobear and ResetEra user Poutine Runner 2049.
Kingdom Hearts III: Finished on the 8th. I was disappointed by the end. I had looked forward to some Pixar worlds, but was disappointed by the relative absence of worlds based on traditional animation. The world I was most interested in was absurdly limited, just being one small area with three variations of a Puzzle Bobble minigame. Towards the end, I wasn't paying attention to the story at all. Sure it's visually impressive how many things are happening on screen, sometimes.
Tetris Effect: Finished Journey mode on the 11th. I'll play it a lot more though, as it's a great way to unwind.
Spyro 3: Finished the remake on the 27th. The reignited trilogy brought new life to the precursors of Ratchet & Clank, one of my favourite series.

I might try for:
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood: I'm up to the fifth level. I like this game but it takes some motivation to load up, perhaps from it being VR, horror and no mid-level saves.
The Legend of Zelda: I'm up to the sixth dungeon, and have been for a few months but now I have a healing potion.

Last edited:

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
This month I plan to finish :
- Super Smash Bros Ultimate : at least WOL and classic mode for all characters
- Fate/Stay Night: I'm confident I can see the of the Fate route. Not sure about the orther 2 routes (Unlimited Blade Work and Heaven's Feel)
- Yakuza Kiwami 2 : going for the plat, should be easy. I'm not sure about NG+ on very hard, we'll see

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 2 (Nearly escaped the police station on Leon A, still a bit to go)
Hellblade (Near the end I think, just reached the tree bit)
and finally at long last
Crackdown 3

Was gonna put Persona 5 (about 5 palaces in) down but next month me can worry about finishing that

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have a list of games I would like to finish at least three of:

Cosmic Star Heroine
Shenmue
RE2make
Vagrant Story
Castlevania Lords of Shadow

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I will finish at least three games in February:

- Crackdown 3
- Kingdom Hearts 3
- Anthem ("finish" as in "grinding a lot")

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
Finish Smash WOL.
Get the plat on GOW.
Start and finish Hellblade.

That should actually be doable.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Games beaten:

Detroit Become Human (PS4) - Took me some time to finish the game. Overall I think this might be my favorite Quantic Dream game. Suprised how much it reminds of the TV series "Real Humans".

Night In The Woods (PS4) - Indie game of the month, wasn't really sure what to expect from it. At the start I didn't enjoy the game that much, the humor just didn't click with me. And i found Mae to be rather unlikeable. But I found the surrounding cast to be interesting (especially Bea). I really liked how it dealt with small town depression and anxiety in general. Mae redeemed herself somewhat by the end. And I can see myself replaying this to see the Greggs scenes and hang out with citizens I missed.

Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4) - Whilst it is a good game in general, I think I enjoyed the previous games more just simply because I didn't have a connection to most of the Movies used in KH3. I liked the size of the worlds and the improvements to the Gummi Ship. I'm kinda torn by the ending and the lack of some characters from the previous games (Had been looking forward for years to see them again). Thinking of working on the Platinum trophy.

Games for February:

All Done

Last edited:

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I want to platinum Ace Combat 5, 7 and Horizon Zero Dawn on February. I would also like to git gud at Smash and at least finish WoL.

Crackdown and Metro are coming this month but I won't touch them until I get those sweet platinums (must stay strong).

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for my TV and I have no idea when someone will bring it to me.

The games I really want to play right now are :
  • Kingdom Hearts 3
  • Earthbound
  • Splatoon
  • Ever Oasis
3 of them require a TV. I could swap out one of longer ones for Paper Mario Color splash if I have to.
This month is probably going to be a mess as well.

Animagne

Oct 27, 2017
Beat 3 last month, but only 2/3 that I've planned (Let's Go Pikachu and Smash Bros Ultimate, didn't plan on beating Celeste).

This month I'm definitely gonna finish Astro Bot, it's really disappointing how I don't find more time to play VR games. Also, this month I want to beat Super Mario Bros 3, there's quite a lot of old games I have never beaten and with nes/snes mini and switch online, time to fill in those gaps. Finally, I want to beat one of the longer games, but I'm not sure what exactly, I'm in middle of Torment Tides of Numenera, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Shadow of Mordor so might finish one of those, or play something like original Kingdom Hearts or Shenmue.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Going to beat Breath of the Wild (very close now, all divine beasts + 87 shrines), Kingdom Hearts (in Halloween Town), and Inside.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
  • Kingdom Hearts 3 - I just finished Frozen last night so I have a few more worlds left + the endgame stuff.
  • Anthem - Story probably won't take too long to play through, but then I'll be grinding out loot afterwards too.
  • Shadow of the Colossus - I got this for Christmas but haven't had the chance to play it yet. Never played the original so I'm excited.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Just got back into Gaming, but since Devil May Cry 5 is coming out next month, I need to familiarize myself with the combat system and story so I'm currently playing the collection and a couple of other games:

Devil May Cry HD Collection - self explanatory
Mafia 3 - never played Mafia before and heard this had a good plot and music
Need for Speed (2016) - wanted to finish this game since I enjoyed it a while ago

Possibly might play:
Gravity Rush 2 - Loved the original on Vita and PS4. Feel off in gaming a bit around the time this released but wanted it at launch.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Pokemon Let's Go Eevee (Switch)- currently playing it, just beaten a 4th gym leader.
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II (PC) - a very dissapointing sequel of a good game.

Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4) - was interested in that game since it was released.
Marvel's Spider-Man: The City That Never Sleeps (PS4) - all of downloadable content released for that game.

Last edited:

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure what my third game will be - thinking of picking up Anthem or Metro this month.
  1. Resident Evil 2 (2019)
  2. Kingdom Hearts 3
  3. ???

Oct 27, 2017
Currently halfway Tales of Berseria, planning to beat:

1. Tales of Berseria
  2. Vanquish
  3. Remember Me
  4. Abzu
  5. Assassins Creed Chronicles: China

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
  1. Xenoblade 2: Torna the Golden Country - This is my main goal for the month. I really liked what I played but I had a lot of things get in the way when it came out, so this is what I want to finish if I don't finish anything else.
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - a leftover from last month that I was intending to do, but didn't. I just have one more Divine Beast to do before confronting Ganon.
  3. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - One of the remnants of the 3DS. Not expecting to get through it this month but I'd like to try.

Kamagii

Oct 27, 2017
South of Heaven
I plan to finish:

Kingdom Hearts 3: just started arenaville
LIS: Before the storm: start and finish in one day
Gears1: finish on insane ( doing a gears series play through on insane for achieves)

Starts/possible finishes:
Crackdown 3
Yakuza 6

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Only manged one of my last month (Spyro 3) as ended up starting the Witcher 3 so my games are:

Smash World of Light
The Witcher 3 (Though doubt I will finish)
Just Cause 4 (if somehow I finish Witcher 3)

Sounds

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to work on finishing some switch games.

1. octopath traveler - I like this game for the most part, I'm about 8 hours in...

2. golf story - I love the game, but struggle to find the motivation to sit down and play.

3. into the breach - going in blind, have only heard amazing things so I can't wait.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Ghost Trick: I always seem to do adventure/visual novel style games in February. Been wanting to play this for a while. Plus I'm still maintaining my goal of playing something with a video game doggo every month this year.

Mario Odyssey: Got around halfway through this at release, time to go back. Plus it'll be a nice contrast to all the survival horror I've been playing recently.

Resident Evil 2: Wasn't sure I'd include this for Feb since I was hoping to fit it into late Jan, and I've indeed done a Leon A/Claire B run already, but I know I'm going to keep going for the other path and the bonus modes, plus Ghost Survivors hits in a couple weeks, so I may as well list it. Just more of an open goal since I already "beat" it.

Otherwise I've still got about a third of Mother 3 left from January.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I beat my record last month: 7 games
This month I am gonna go for 3 or 4:

Resident Evil 2 remake
Terranigma
The Darkness
Wild Arms

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I'm in that weird post finishing games moment where I'm not sure what to tackle next.

Ace Academy, this is a little boring but I want to finish at least one route before moving on.

Sentience: An Android's Tale, again another kind of boring game that I keep saying I'll play but never get round to it. I'll give it another hour to see if it catches me.

I'm in the mood again to start playing BOTW. After my first divine beast I fizzled out for a while but my will to play a big game is back again, at least for a short time.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I think it will be a very light month for me and since I'm not looking to pick up any new games I will take care of the backlog a bit.

1. New Super Luigi U
2. Resident Evil 2
3. Farpoint

Trickytoon

Jan 14, 2018
Had a good January so hoping to keep the momentum up this month. Doing well as I've already completed my first :

1. Quake (PC) COMPLETED : Bucket list game, right up there with my favourite FPS's. Why did I wait so long to play this?

2. Dishonored 2 (PS4) IN PROGRESS : The first game has a special place in my heart, I'm diving in with one eye open as I haven't read any reviews or LTTP threads and I'm hoping it lives up to the first

3. Rise of the Tomb Raider (PC) NOT STARTED : Reboot series gets way too much hate, really liked the first one and heard sold things about this. Hoping it gives my new graphics card a solid workout as well.

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
1 down! Cleared Leon Route A and Claire Route B.
  1. Resident Evil 2 (2019)
  2. Kingdom Hearts 3
  3. ???

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
2 down! Wrapped up Kingdom Hearts III last night.
  • Resident Evil 2 (2019)
  • Kingdom Hearts 3
  • Metro Exodus
I'm guessing Metro Exodus might be my third, but if Anthem's campaign is short, I might end up beating that one first.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • Kingdom Hearts 3
  • Earthbound
  • Splatoon
  • Ever Oasis
Finished KH3 and made good progress with EO and EB.
Pretty good game, but it ain't no KH2FM.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm in the middle of a ton of games, but I'm hoping to finish at least 3 before month's end.

1. Monument Valley + Forgotten Shores & IDA's Dream DLC (mobile)
  2. Monument Valley 2 (mobile)
  3. The Room (mobile)

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
I did Titanfall 2 (awesome campaign) and am now almost through Metro Last Light. Up to Chapter 18 (Undercity). Grim times.

Might play something a bit cheerier for my third ha. Maybe Tetris Effect or something.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've already done three in February.

Kingdom Hearts III (which I started in January)
Nier Automata (which I started in late December 2018)
Mega Man X4 (from the MMXLC)

I've got a few more games I think I can finish before the end of February. We'll see what happens.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Beaten Detroit (ps4), Mercenaries saga (trilogy on switch) and Yokus island Express (Switch)

Want to beat: GTA V story (ps4), Diablo 3 main campaign (Switch) and I'm not sure if I want to beat Dragon Quest Heroes 2 or Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

Metallia

May 31, 2018
Finished:

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Finished, just barely at the start of this month)
The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince (Finished it quickly after buying it, then immediately platinumed it, absolutely loved it)

Would like to finish:

Kingdom Hearts 3
Valkyria Chronicles 4

Still fairly early in both but playing regularly and making good progress, so we'll see.

Trickytoon

Jan 14, 2018
Despite a busy month making great progress on the backlog :

1. Quake (PC) COMPLETED : Bucket list game, right up there with my favourite FPS's. Why did I wait so long to play this?

2. Dishonored 2 (PS4) IN PROGRESS : The first game has a special place in my heart, I'm diving in with one eye open as I haven't read any reviews or LTTP threads and I'm hoping it lives up to the first

3. Metro 2033 (PS4) COMPLETED : With all the Exodus hype doing the rounds I wanted to see if I could get past my issues with the mechanics and technical issues with this game and enjoy the story and setting. Mediocre shooting and the AI issues and bugs still frustrate but the game is dripping with atmosphere and I found the story relatively engaging. Has actually made me excited to play Last Light, which I'll slot in for March.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 2 - I've been kind of obsessed with this game. I did Leon A, Claire B, then S Rank Leon A for the infinite handgun. I got the infinite knife also, so that should make the other playthroughs less stressful. The Extra modes are really hard and I don't think I have the skills and patience for them, but I'll keep trying.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Going to get that 2 Months for $2 Game Pass deal today.

Life is Strange 2 Episode 1.

I might do Crackdown 3 next month depending on how long TR takes.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I think I'll participate. I just might finish three games as I'm currently playing Ken Follett's the Pillars of Earth which shouldn't be more than 15 hours long. Will play a Way Out with a friend in couple days, need to find something for the third game still. Maybe Titanfall 2 campaign, I've heard it should be excellent.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Beat and got the plat for Spyro 1 (PS4)
Beat and got the plat for Planet of the Eyes (PS4)
Beat Persona 5

Hopefully before the end of the month, I'll get to:

Plat Persona 5 - 1 trophy away
Beat RDR2 (PS4)
Beat Sunset Overdrive (X1)
Beat RE2 remake (PS4)

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Kingdom Hearts III (Xbox One X) -- What a ride! I had been catching up with the series over the past 18 months or so just to be able to fully enjoy this first 'modern' Kingdom Hearts game in a long time. What a ride it was!

Mark of the Ninja (Xbox One X) -- Neat. Tidy. Pure gameplay greatness. Everyone needs to play this stealth game.

Diablo III (Xbox One X) -- Finished the campaign which is supposed to be tutorial mode. It certainly felt this way and it wasn't always fun to play, much too easy in fact. Let's see how many more targets I can set for myself when increasing the difficulty for adventure mode.

Batman: Arkham City (Xbox One X) -- Finally got to play this game through Game Pass inclusion. I never touched the 360 original disc despite owning the game. It's been an enjoyable time with Batman. You can feel it's not a 2018 title on many occasions, the world is pretty small, the freeflow combat can be clunky and you have to use gadgets every 3m to progress in levels. Still had a good time as the story is pretty good and the atmosphere is well transported to the player.

Last edited:

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have a list of games I would like to finish at least three of:

Cosmic Star Heroine
Shenmue
RE2make
Vagrant Story
Castlevania Lords of Shadow
I wound up finishing both Cosmic Star Heroine and RE2make off the list.

I won't be able to finish any other by Thursday, but I did also finish Bloodstained and Sonic CD as well. So overall a satisfying month

Oct 28, 2017
Finished New Super Luigi U (the Switch version), Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (yes, the Switch version) and Kirby Star Allies. Hoping to also finish the remake of Superstar Saga, as I'm currently at the final boss.

The lack of 1st-party games from Nintendo is really helping me clear the backlog!

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
Don't think I'll hit three this month - so close too. I think I have maybe two more main missions left in Anthem based on achievements, but hopping on a plane soon and will be gone all week. Should give me an easy jump start for March though :)

The two games I managed to get through were Resident Evil 2 (2019) and Kingdom Hearts 3.