• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've gotten around to re-watching The Last Jedi and once again arrived at the throne room scene. There are a few things I notice now that I didn't notice the first time:

He carefully omits mentioning The First Order in the list of things Rey should consider letting go of as part of her past, but comfortably suggests the Sith, Jedi and rebels.

We've seen how conflicted he is since The Force Awakens. That's part of his character. It's this conflict that makes him so great. However I had not noticed how much of a plea for help he makes when he asks Rey to join him after extending his hand. You think by this point after killing Snoke and the guards that he's fully committed to embracing the dark side, but I can't help but to think that he really wants Rey to join him as some semblance of sanity and good to offset this internal turmoil he can't escape. It seems that Snoke did such a number on his mind that he can't help but to unwillingly gravitate toward being a villain, even though he wants to embrace the light side. In this scene he even says "please" to Rey while appearing to nearly cry.

I think this scene between the two movies best sums up how much of a tragic character he is.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I agree. He is asking her to be his partner to rule the galaxy with an iron fist. I think he wants a friend more than anything.

Jyester

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a good scene that gets undone by the end of the movie when, for all the movie's attempts at subverting tropes, Kylo still turns into Space Hitler.

Oct 26, 2017
I hate that after all that effort Rey put into getting to Kylo to bring him to the light, in that moment she pretty much gives up on his ass at the drop of a dime. I wish they gave her at least one or two more strong pushbacks to Kylo. She just went on a suicide run for his ass. She should be willing to fight for him harder.

Adam Driver is fantastic. I can't believe there are folks who still rip on him for his looks, like after he took his mask off in TFA.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I do love that "Please" because it feels like he is still seeking validations regarding the path he has taken. Kylo going full bat shit at the end of the film when Luke appears and whenever Han is mentioned has so much impact too.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I hate that after all that effort Rey put into getting to Kylo to bring him to the light, in that moment she pretty much gives up on his ass at the drop of a dime. I wish they gave her at least one or two more strong pushbacks to Kylo. She just went on a suicide run for his ass. She should be willing to fight for him harder.

Adam Driver is fantastic. I can't believe there are folks who still rip on him for his looks, like after he took his mask off in TFA.
I do love that "Please" because it feels like he is still seeking validations regarding the path he has taken. Kylo going full bat shit at the end of the film when Luke appears and whenever Han is mentioned has so much impact too.
yup.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
They were onto to something in that scene when Kylo was either doing a face-turn, or trying to make a heel out of Rey. I was like 'ohhhh, so they're going this way'....then he ends up going full-out evil by the end anyways. Guess that was subversion within a subversion.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

In that moment she realized she made a huge mistake, that Luke was right, Kylo was far too gone. And, he had used her in his scheme to gain further power and usurp the throne.

It's at this moment she clearly "sees" him and who he is.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Kylo Ren is the most fun to watch character in the new movies and Adam Driver plays him incredibly well

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I think he's trapped. I think he thinks he'd be good with Rey, but it would be an abusive relationship, given the things he says to try to convince her to stay with him. I think, when he woke up and made himself the supreme leader, he was both holding on to that opportunity to have his own army and fleet and also doubling down on being evil, since it's what is expected of the supreme leader. And he's actually, you know, evil.

Plus, he still hates Luke. He wants to kill the past.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was literally the only good scene in the movie up until she turns her back on Ben.

They could've went full on Fel Empire here, but nope, can't do anything unpredictable or new in the films.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
It's a fantastic moment and Kylo Ren is definitely the most interesting character in both Force Awakens and Last Jedi, in large part die to Driver acting his ass off. Kind of sucks that shortly after all of this interesting character development, Kylo basically devolves into being a pretty flat Space Hitler character for the finale.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh. I didn't think of it as validating what he's doing but that seems equally plausible.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
That is the tragedy of his character. He's looking for some greater purpose or sense of fulfillment that he can never achieve. He put on a cape and a mask and cosplayed as Vader, but that just held him back as a pretender. He killed his dad because he thought it would complete his turn to the dark side, it didn't and only served to tear him apart further. He killed Snoke and assumed control, but Rey rejected him and now his rule is based on a lie (Rey killed snoke) and he is all alone.

Luke is gone, his mom will presumably be gone (he is also still clearly torn on her), now he has nobody else to blame. He'll never have closure or be full. Rey is the last obstacle, but will he continue craving her validation or will he skip that step and obsess over defeating her? Will he be able to bottle his conflict and competently rule The First Order or will it be chaos?

Either way, he'll be a wreck. Very different from the scheming Palpatine, or the towering Vader.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
In that moment she realized she made a huge mistake, that Luke was right, Kylo was far too gone. And, he had used her in his scheme to gain further power and usurp the throne.

I think that's precisely what the movie sells, and it sells it convincingly, but I still feel like it's not the most interesting route. He's clearly conflicted. If she wanted, she could have fought for his soul here and there, but she gets pushed away and I think what makes her drop all hope of redeeming him isn't the idea that he's impossible to redeem but that it's not worth it.

That's the most tragic aspect of the character. Ben Solo is unwanted. Unwanted by his parents, unwanted by his master, and ultimately rejected by the person he almost proposes to and wants to make his queen. There's something about Ben that pushes people away, and it's not his unprecedented level of evilness (quite frankly he got nothing on the dark side users that preceded him).

The interesting thing about Ben is that nobody really likes him or respects him. This is shown in TFA and ultimately shown in TLJ too. Rejection is his nemesis.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I would be interested in seeing what the galaxy looks like under the First Order/Ben Solo. I think we'll get that in IX before the Rebels strike back (tm).

The only major crime he committed was blowing up a village in TFA and that's because they were hiding a map to a war criminal in exile. Obviously.

T'Challa Shakur

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

He does such a good job. I fully believe this is the grandson of Anankin Skywalker from The Clone Wars

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. I didn't think of it as validating what he's doing but that seems equally plausible.
I don't think the "please" is Kylo Ren seeking validation for the path he's taking. The same goes for why Kylo Ren mentions "Sith" as something to let go of but conveniently omits "The First Order". I think that entire sequence, including killing Snoke, is Kylo Ren consciously and meticulously trying to make himself look more human in order to get Rey to empathize with him and potentially join him. He's basically trying to say all of the things he believes Rey actually wants to hear in order to trick Rey into making the decision to join him voluntarily, similarly to how Kylo Ren says everything to make Rey believe she and here parents were nobodies but stops short of actually saying it for her.

I believe Kylo Ren already went into the throne room with a plan to kill Snoke, so I think it's entirely logical to believe he also had a plan to convince Rey to side with him.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Yes he is desperately wanting a connection to anyone he considers a peer or kindred spirit. That's all well and good but maybe if he stopped KILLING everyone who LOVES him he he would not be alone.

He's an emotional brat that doesn't know what he wants and leaves destruction in his wake. He needs to die.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest I would be interested in seeing what the galaxy looks like under the First Order/Ben Solo. I think we'll get that in IX before the Rebels strike back (tm).

The only major crime he committed was blowing up a village in TFA and that's because they were hiding a map to a war criminal in exile. Obviously.

He also murdered his defenseless father and watched in glee as the Starkiller laser went to blow up the Hosnian System.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a good scene that gets undone by the end of the movie when, for all the movie's attempts at subverting tropes, Kylo still turns into Space Hitler.

They we're never trying to subvert this part, though. He was simply conflicted.

You can subvert some things and not others.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They were onto to something in that scene when Kylo was either doing a face-turn, or trying to make a heel out of Rey. I was like 'ohhhh, so they're going this way'....then he ends up going full-out evil by the end anyways. Guess that was subversion within a subversion.

I still think the potential for his redemption is the main thread of this sequel trilogy. Depending how things go, Episode IX will either be hugely cathartic or a grand tragedy.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought he wanted to physically join with her. Like graft her body to his. At least that's how I interpreted it.

Deleted member 43514

Banned
May 16, 2018

They both try to turn each other and the novel states like in the old EU visions always lack context. Rey could have killed Kylo in the throne room when he was knocked out but she realized the force had different plans. The sith impose their will upon the will of the force and the Jedi submit themselves. "Luke's failure was thinking bens fate was sealed, my failure was thinking Kylo would be turned so easily just by killing snoke"

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't know if its Driver acting beyond the material or what but there's obviously a lot of anguish and confliction in the character. Which is why its so jarring when his own virtuous mom is just like "Oh yeah, he's totally gone. No biggie."

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't know if its Driver acting beyond the material or what but there's obviously a lot of anguish and confliction in the character. Which is why its so jarring when his own virtuous mom is just like "Oh yeah, he's totally gone. No biggie."

"No one is ever really gone."

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still think the potential for his redemption is the main thread of this sequel trilogy. Depending how things go, Episode IX will either be hugely cathartic or a grand tragedy.
Maybe he'll dial up the desperation and conflict to 11 in IX, where at the very end you think he's finally going to heel turn, only for him to still snap his fingers.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't really see why Rey didn't at least try to say why don't you join us and burn this evil first order shit to the ground and work to help the Galaxy, not rule it.

Like at least try saying that.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, OP. If they really wanted to build some hype for the next film, they should've had Rey join him and showed what happened from there. There would be tons of interesting conflicts to build upon.

Instead she beats him for a third time, so that we get to look forward to her beating him for a fucking third time in Episode 9. :/

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
He also murdered his defenseless father and watched in glee as the Starkiller laser went to blow up the Hosnian System.
His father is a war criminal and the Hosnian system was harboring an entire fleet of them. I don't think any of the politics matter to him. He's just one person.

Also it was Hux's fault.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
It's a great scene, but I didn't think it was anything deep.

Kylo just wanted another powerful Force user on his side. And Rey finally realized that she can't win him over to the Light.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Too far gone, in a world where Darth fucking Vader gets turned to good at the end. Ok.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I don't think the "please" is Kylo Ren seeking validation for the path he's taking. The same goes for why Kylo Ren mentions "Sith" as something to let go of but conveniently omits "The First Order". I think that entire sequence, including killing Snoke, is Kylo Ren consciously and meticulously trying to make himself look more human in order to get Rey to empathize with him and potentially join him. He's basically trying to say all of the things he believes Rey actually wants to hear in order to trick Rey into making the decision to join him voluntarily, similarly to how Kylo Ren says everything to make Rey believe she and here parents were nobodies but stops short of actually saying it for her.

I believe Kylo Ren already went into the throne room with a plan to kill Snoke, so I think it's entirely logical to believe he also had a plan to convince Rey to side with him.

Perfectly valid reading :)

I don't think he is a meticulous planner - he isn't that kind of villain for me. He is certainly conflicted and has handled so much rejection and disappointment, I can't see that not shaping his character.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

It is hard for me to say he "used" her. I guess you could read the scene as him grasping opportunity to kill Snoke instead of saving her. But, he makes it clear afterwards that he does care for her and wants her to stay with him.

She doesn't do or say anything to convince him to come with her. He literally tells her she means something to him, and she responds by reaching for her lightsaber.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017

Likely, I'm curious as to who will be the penultimate threat to overcome or catalyst for his redemption when it's all said and done.

Oct 31, 2017

I remember when Rey catching the lightsaber after going through Snoke got a round of applause from my theater the second time. I was thinking, "hehe, if only you guys knew what's about to happen." xD~~

"You're nothing... but not to me." Fantastic line, fantastic delivery.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That wasn't said by his mom, so changes nothing about our beloved Princess Leia seeming to not care about her own son who the movie shows at least has some cracks.

Also, I'm pretty sure that line is mostly just a wink to audience since Luke is about to "die."

Perhaps. Throughout the movie, Leia is all about hope, and in that moment she has none. Not sure you can take her at face value.

Likely, I'm curious as to who will be the penultimate threat to overcome or catalyst for his redemption when it's all said and done.

Yeah, hard to say. I'm intrigued, though.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Perfectly valid reading :)

I don't think he is a meticulous planner - he isn't that kind of villain for me. He is certainly conflicted and has handled so much rejection and disappointment, I can't see that not shaping his character.
I think that could potentially explain why Kylo Ren kind of snaps and goes full super villain at the end of the movie. He spends most of Episode 7 getting dunked on by Hux because Kylo Ren's plans keep fucking up. Then he finally crafts this big plan in his head to kill Snoke, take over the First Order, and convince Rey to join him, and everything goes perfectly according to plan but at the 11th hour Rey swipes left on him and it kind of tanks Kylo's grand plan. So then maybe he just goes "fuck it" and tries to blow up everything because he's frustrated with being a failure as a leader.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Too far gone, in a world where Darth fucking Vader gets turned to good at the end. Ok.

Darth Vader didn't know he had kids. And, we still have Episode 8 to go.

It is hard for me to say he "used" her. I guess you could read the scene as him grasping opportunity to kill Snoke instead of saving her. But, he makes it clear afterwards that he does care for her and wants her to stay with him.

She doesn't do or say anything to convince him to come with her. He literally tells her she means something to him, and she responds by reaching for her lightsaber.

By telling her to abandon her friends who he's allowing to be wiped out at the moment and join him so they can rule the galaxy together with an Iron Fist. He showed to her that he hadn't changed one bit, he's still an evil little prick.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
It was literally the only good scene in the movie up until she turns her back on Ben.

They could've went full on Fel Empire here, but nope, can't do anything unpredictable or new in the films.
So to do something new, you want them to retread something that already exists?

Okay dude.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Sure he turns into space hitler, but he has a compelling story and character to go along with it. Funny people were satisfied with vader being space hitler and his redemption after like a handful of mentions of him beign lukes father and no compelling acting to back it up. Kylo's character and acting are killing it on that front.

But I will say, the scene would have been way more impactful if it were the climax of the film, as it is, it gets kinda buried by the planet and luke stuff.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
He's gonna get shot in the back by Hux and we're just going to have to accept it.

No redemption and no catharsis.