• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
WvqaG6Y.png
Platforms: PC (Windows 7, 8 and 10), Xbox One and PS4
Publisher and Developer: CD Projekt Red
Genre: RPG, strategy, fantasy

Release date:
PC: October 23rd 2018
Xbox One/PS4: December 4th 2018

System Requirements:
Processor: Intel Celeron G1820 / AMD A4-7300
Memory: 4GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 / Radeon R7 240
Storage: 15 GB

Price: Varies by your area
US: $29.99
EU:
UK: £23.39

EkCEsHr.png
Thronebreaker is a 20-30 hour adventure set in the Witcher universe. It's the story of Meve, the queen of two northern kingdoms, Lyria and Rivia, and her fight against Nilfgaardian invaders during the Second Nilfgaardian War. In the timeline, it is set before all three Witcher games, and is the same time as the Witcher book saga. If you have read the books, you might remember Meve.

As Meve, you'll explore various parts of the Witcher world in isometric 3D, battle using Gwent matches, uncover main story events and side quests, as well as engage in other features like upgrading your camp, managing your army (deck) and finding hidden treasures and secrets. As a queen you will also be required to make difficult decisions and the choices you make will effect the story, as is the case for Witcher world games.

The writers of Thronebreaker's story are some of the writers responsible for memorable quest lines from the Witcher 3, such as the Bloody Baron story. In total, Thronebreaker has more dialogue lines than Witcher 3's expansion Hearts of Stone.

D38kl4O.png
  • A huge adventure: Explore 75 quests in over 20-30 hours of content across 5 maps with 20 game end states. More than 250 cards and over 100 battles have been designed for the story.
  • Three difficulty modes: Story, Normal and Hard. Story mode allows you to skip any Gwent battles if you lose them, so you don't have to be stuck at a fight you are struggling to beat.
  • Five kingdoms: You'll explore five regions in the Witcher world throughout the story, such as Lyria and Aedirn. Each one is a fairly large map with a variety of quests and secrets to discover.
  • Battle rule variety: Gwent matches make up all the combat, and will have a variety of rules tailored to the situation. Some may be puzzles that require a specific goal, while others like a boss fight can be more demanding. Some might have optional objectives that can alter the story, while others may just be simple changes like having only one round instead of Gwent's usual three.
  • Manage your camp: Your camp is your main base, and here you will be able to improve existing units, recruit new ones, speak to important characters and hear their stories, or check letters and treasure maps you have collected.
  • Build your army: Your army is your deck. Recruit new units and characters using resources you've acquired, fulfill quests and people might provide aid to your army. Outside of unique characters and regular troops, trophies and trinkets you collect add another layer of strategy to your army composition.
  • Customise Meve: Unlock various weapon cards for Meve, allowing her leader effects in battle to fit your needs or playstyle.
  • Resource system: As the game progresses, you'll collect gold, wood and recruits. These are used to further build your army and camp, or to make decisions during quests or while exploring. Morale is also another resource that affects the strength of your troops, and can be improved or reduced depending on whether your army likes the choices you make.
  • Choice and consequence: Decisions you make as Meve will change the story and your army along the way. If you make decisions that important characters don't like, they may even leave your army.
  • Meet both old and new faces: Meve encounters a lot of characters on her journey, some will be familiar to Witcher fans, while others will be totally new. Getting these characters to join your force will improve your army, but they won't all see to eye, or agree with certain decisions you make as Meve.
  • Explore: Find treasure maps to collect scraps of cards, collect all the scraps to complete the card and add it to your deck. You can also find hidden secrets too. If you play the Gwent multiplayer game, golden chests offer rewards that can also be shared to your Gwent account, such as cards and cosmetics.
OeVTWUu.png
Screenshots:
Combat (2):

Exploring (4):

Dialogue (2):

Videos:

Official gameplay trailer (embedded above)
Story trailer
37 minute gameplay with CDPR
Thronebreaker with the developers

445ns6S.png
Is Thronebreaker digital only?
Yes. No physical copies.

Is Thronebreaker on Steam?
No. It's exclusive to GOG on PC. So you'll need to download GOG. Yes. From 9th November it is now available on Steam. However, because Gwent is not on Steam you won't earn/unlock any of the Gwent rewards like the free cards, kegs, etc. So if you want Gwent rewards, you need to play on GOG.

Will there be a preload?
Yes, check here. Preload is available 24 hours before the release time.

Do I need to play or know anything about Gwent to play Thronebreaker?
No, it's a completely standalone single player game. You don't need to play Gwent or even download it to play Thronebreaker - Thronebreaker is separate to it. If you play both they can be linked together for some benefits in Gwent, though.

Is this Free-To-Play?
No. While Gwent is F2P, Thronebreaker is a fully priced game with 20-30 hours of single player content. No microtransactions either.

Is this only a Gwent campaign?
Basically, yes. While it's an isometric RPG, it uses the card game for all the combat.

When does the game take place?
It's set before the Witcher games, and is the same time as the book saga. It's not the same Nilfgaardian war in Witcher 3, that was the Third one, this one is the Second.

Do we play as Geralt?
No, we play as Meve. She's a character that was mentioned and appeared in the books.

Are there any rewards for pre-ordering or purchasing?
None for pre-ordering, but for purchasing (even after the release date) you'll get:
  • Official Thronebreaker Soundtrack
  • Digital version of GWENT: Art of The Witcher Card Game artbook from Dark Horse.
  • Concept art, including the map of Lyria
  • The Witcher graphic novel "Fox Children" by Dark Horse
  • 2 in-game GWENT: The Witcher Card Game Player Titles
  • 2 in-game GWENT: The Witcher Card Game Player Avatars
  • 5 premium kegs for GWENT: The Witcher Card Game
If I play Gwent, do I get anything for purchasing/playing Thronebreaker?
Yes, in addition to the Gwent specific rewards listed in the answer above, you'll also get 20 cards from Thronebreaker to use in Gwent. You can also find golden chests with various cards and cosmetics that will be shared to your Gwent account.

rrnZcKQ.png
Resources:
Review thread
GOG page
Official site
CDPR Thronebreaker/Gwent forum
Official Gwent site
Thronebreaker/Gwent reddit

Pre-release press:
PC Gamer: Thronebreaker is a true Witcher RPG and a surprisingly sharp card puzzler
PCGamesN: How CDPR is expanding on the Witcher legacy
Gamespot interview with lead writer
IGN 30 minutes of gameplay

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bardoon

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Sorry for double post, hopefully it is ok.

It's my first time making a thread like this, so any feedback is appreciated - I tried to be as comprehensive as possible, but felt I was adding too much.

To set the mood here's a bit of Thronebreaker music! :)

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
????? What? I might be interested in this any reviews ?
Review thread is linked in the OP.

Game looks pretty nice, even though it has had basically 0 advertisement and it's GOG only so not sure how well it's gonna sell(not because it's on GOG, but because it doesn't get Popular steam games list free sales kind of thing).

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Review thread is linked in the OP.

Game looks pretty nice, even though it has had basically 0 advertisement and it's GOG only so not sure how well it's gonna sell(not because it's on GOG, but because it doesn't get Popular steam games list free sales kind of thing).
Yeah I peeped that after I posted, pretty good reviews, console launch isn't till December though so I can wait for impressions

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
This and the Spider Man DLC just sliding in making this coming Friday real tough.

Anyways, been looking forward to this for a while, never was good enough to play real people in Gwent, was always holding out for the SP campaign.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Nice info in the OP.

I'll buy this as soon as I finish my current games (DQXI and AC Ody).

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
This game deserves a lot of love. Gwent MP is so fun and the Beta for the new gwent was fantastic. I bastly prefer it to Hearthstone and the free content they give you is extremely generous

I hope they are super successful

OP
OP
Bardoon

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Is this the gwent game they were making? Or is a more straightforward one coming out?

This is the singleplayer side of their Gwent project, yeah.

There's also another game - the multiplayer Gwent: The Witcher Card Game - which is coming out of beta on the 23rd Oct too.

This game deserves a lot of love. Gwent MP is so fun and the Beta for the new gwent was fantastic. I bastly prefer it to Hearthstone and the free content they give you is extremely generous

I hope they are super successful

Same. It seems they have poured a lot of love into the project. Also I wouldn't mind seeing what they come up with for the next faction campaign (Monsters would be neat), but they said they will only do another if Thronebreaker is received well enough.

Oct 25, 2017
Having to choose between Thronebreaker and RDR2 sucks, but I at least did my part by supporting CDPR. Looking forward to playing some Gwent just as soon as I'm done being a cowboy.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Another game I'm interested in playing but can't fit it in right now. Guess I'll wait for the console versions or get it on sale.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
im currently reading the books (on blood of elves) and just played the first game, i guess i'll wait to finish the books serie before playing Gwent standalone

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait until the console version, by then hopefully I'll have more time to play and enjoy it.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited for this, but with RDR2 about to drop like a megaton bomb I just can't justify buying it right now. I'll definitely get it on the other side, though.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Day one for me. Bad timing with Read Dead, but I'm still excited. Gwent has definitely had a lot of things that need to be improved, but I'm impressed with how much money/people CDR is willing to throw at it.

The reception for homecoming has been extremely positive based on the test server so I'm excited. It's especially interesting considering the huge changes in another card game, Elder Scrolls Legends, and how terrible they were.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea this even existed until I saw a promoted Tweet about it (a promoted Tweet that I actually wanted to see, go figure!). Not sure how I missed any news of this. I knew about the Gwent game, but not this. Anyway, it looks really cool. I'm super excited for this now. I'll be waiting for the PS4 release I guess, but looking forward to hearing what people think in the meantime.

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
Any reviews so far? For some reason I didn't really like the Gwent standalone but loved it in Witcher 3.

I thought I'm gonna pass on Thronebreaker since the Artifact Beta was supposed to be this month and it isn't on Steam but I'd give it a shot if it's any good.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Any reviews so far? For some reason I didn't really like the Gwent standalone but loved it in Witcher 3.

I thought I'm gonna pass on Thronebreaker since the Artifact Beta was supposed to be this month and it isn't on Steam but I'd give it a shot if it's any good.

There have been several reviews so far. The game has an 85 MC score out of 18 reviews. Gamespot gave it a 9 for example.

Great OP! I'm definitely hyped and I will be back from university just in time to play it when it releases.

OP
OP
Bardoon

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
is the gwent in thronebreaker the same as the gwent in standalone gwent?

In terms of overall mechanics, basically yeah (Gwent is getting an update the same day). But there will be lots of different card effects and puzzles that won't exist in standalone Gwent for reasons like balance or just because it doesn't fit a multiplayer setting.

The review thread is in the Links section at the bottom of the OP. Not every review is linked there though, so if you check somewhere like Metacritic it has more compiled. It seems to be reasonably well received, as Couscous said above.

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
Get hype for Meve.

Preload should be live on GOG in 2 or so hours. It's been a long wait for Homecoming and Thronebreaker.

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
I wonder why they called it Thronebreaker? In Polish and Russian, the name translates to Blood War or Blood Feud. Seems apt considering where the story is likely to go.

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait... it's on the 23rd ?? i read it was on the 25th :)
that's good news, i'll get the game tonight then.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I got an email that I have 5eur in my GOG account and it will expire soon. Don't know if this is just a plot from CDPR, but I know how I'll be spending these :)

Looking at trailer, I never expected this single player game to be so expansive, I thought it will be a series of gwent battles with some dialogue in between. Exited!

Oct 26, 2017
Intern got a chance to edit their first trailer.

Oh, the production values of the video are very good, nothing an intern could do, I just find funny how transparent it is, marketing-wise. Like, how the hell can you make a card video game more interesting, more visceral, to attract people? Throw some sick 3d camera movement effects to make it more cinematic!

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea this existed until I saw the trailer a few days ago. I'm very excited!

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to this. The genre needs more stuff like this.

Also gonna give Gwent another shot. Never gave it a fair chance.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
And they actually localised dubs in many more languages that the main witcher games without the aid of bandai namco.
Thata how much love they poured into it.

I cant wait to hear cdpr work with good castillian spanish voice acting, hope they do the same with cyberpunk, my money will be there for them always, as they treat the consumer amazingly way while making also awesome games.