• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested in this game and trying to decide which platform to buy it on. Is it enhanced for PS4 Pro or Xbox One X at all? Does it run in 4K on either console? I saw earlier in the thread that there's a 4K graphics pack for the PC version, but I don't think my graphics card would run this in 4K.

OP
OP
Bardoon

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I'm interested in this game and trying to decide which platform to buy it on. Is it enhanced for PS4 Pro or Xbox One X at all? Does it run in 4K on either console? I saw earlier in the thread that there's a 4K graphics pack for the PC version, but I don't think my graphics card would run this in 4K.

I think there's still some technical problems with the console versions, so might be best going for PC if you can. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone playing this? I'm up to the last fight and cannot beat it no matter what I try. Seems super hard.

OP
OP
Bardoon

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Anyone playing this? I'm up to the last fight and cannot beat it no matter what I try. Seems super hard.

They patched the difficulty recently, so I'm not sure how it is changed since I first played it. I did see some people discussing it lately on reddit and they were saying for last fight you need to go full solitaire and not interact with opponent.

So maybe cloning the Scythemen with the Aretuza Adepts and pulling them all out with Reinforcement (iirc that's the card that does it) and then boosting them with Meve's Loyal triggers. You can also use the upgraded Foragers to destroy and combine power of two high power units and then use Alchemists to copy their power to a weaker one next to it iirc.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
They patched the difficulty recently, so I'm not sure how it is changed since I first played it. I did see some people discussing it lately on reddit and they were saying for last fight you need to go full solitaire and not interact with opponent.

So maybe cloning the Scythemen with the Aretuza Adepts and pulling them all out with Reinforcement (iirc that's the card that does it) and then boosting them with Meve's Loyal triggers. You can also use the upgraded Foragers to destroy and combine power of two high power units and then use Alchemists to copy their power to a weaker one next to it iirc.
I actually got it shortly after posting. Took several attempts but I got him eventually.

The story was really good, I really love this world and exploring different characters and locations was a blast. It's insane that it's over 30 hours lol.

OP
OP
Bardoon

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I actually got it shortly after posting. Took several attempts but I got him eventually.

The story was really good, I really love this world and exploring different characters and locations was a blast. It's insane that it's over 30 hours lol.

Yeah, I had a lot of fun with it, and love the Witcher world.

I hope CDPR do more Witcher Tales some day, but I think with disappointing sales and the Gwent team being downsized over to Cyberpunk team that it won't be anytime soon.

Clydefrog

Oct 25, 2017
Hawaii
Really enjoying the game but having a bit of trouble with some of these Scoiatel fights. I imagine the game gets much harder...

OP
OP
Bardoon

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
New patch.

https://playgwent.com/en/news/26012/thronebreaker-update-1-1-patch-notes

New patch for Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales is now available for PC, PS4 and Xbox One! With this update, we've focused on improving the overall stability, performance and visuals of the game, as well as adding support for Traditional Chinese. The full list of these changes can be found below.

FULL LIST OF CHANGES

New Features
  • An animation setting for premium cards is now available in the main menu. For new players, "Always Animate" will be the default setting.
  • Added support for Traditional Chinese.
  • New controls have been added for gamepads (Xbox One / PS4):
LB,RB / L1,R1: Jump to the leftmost or rightmost side of a row.
LT / L2: Switch between opponent and player graveyards.
X / Square: Select your Leader.

Game Fixes
  • Overall game performance has been improved.
  • Overall game stability has been improved.
  • Greatly reduced the chance of blocking player progress due to infinite loading screens (all platforms).
  • Blur has been enhanced to improve both performance and visuals (especially on consoles).
  • Fixed an issue whereby the player would occasionally lose the ability to make selections with the gamepad after entering the camp.
  • Fixed an issue whereby the opponent would get an infinitely long turn after the player viewed the deck preview during puzzle battles.
  • Minor localization fixes.
  • Numerous fixes for PS4 trophies, Xbox One achievements, and GWENT: The Witcher Card Game contracts.
  • Fixed an issue whereby the number of Golden Chests found wouldn't be counted properly by the Grey Rider in the Mess Tent.
  • Fixed an issue with incorrect special rules for the Snowball Fight puzzle battle.
  • Fixed an issue in The Battle of Caedva Gaenvid whereby the opponent would discard all cards and the player would experience an infinite loading screen after victory.
  • Fixed an issue whereby Thronebreaker would crash after attempting to start the Spring Cleaning and Battle for Red Lobinden battles.
  • Corrected a misleading prompt in the camp tutorial for previewing and recruiting cards.
  • Fixed an issue whereby fire visual effects on the enemy ranged row were not visible during the Abandoned Outpost puzzle battle.
  • Fixed an issue whereby either Gascon's or Reynard's card and dialogues would incorrectly appear during The Siege of Tuzla battle even after they had been lost to the player during The Battle for Red Lobinden quest.
  • Fixed an issue whereby gamepad input would sometimes not be accepted at the start or end of a shortened battle.
  • Fixed an issue whereby Thronebreaker would crash following the redraw screen of the Battle for Red Lobinden battle.
  • Fixed an issue whereby loading a game from the main menu would sometimes result in an infinite loading screen.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My favourite part is when my Gheso Footman summon my Strays Infiltrator + into my own lines, and then they power up off my treated up Knickers before switching sides to the enemy line with all the foglets and ekkimaras. that's what's best.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Can anyone comment on how this game runs on consoles? I wanted to buy it for the X but I saw the review which cites numerous issues with crashes and framerate for Xbox (did not specify which model). As for PS4, the rating states 4.5 but given the rating of Anthem also is well above 4 out of 5, it is irrelevant.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am on act 3 and absolutely loving the game.

Nilf deck is tough as fuck to crack. So much armor and buffs.

Monsters are easy except the vampires.

The choices fuck me up every single time. I spend like 15 minutes figuring out what to do. Fuck gimpy tho.
Can anyone comment on how this game runs on consoles? I wanted to buy it for the X but I saw the review which cites numerous issues with crashes and framerate for Xbox (did not specify which model). As for PS4, the rating states 4.5 but given the rating of Anthem also is well above 4 out of 5, it is irrelevant.
I am probably way too late but it runs lovely on PS4. Nilfs take a slightly longer delay in making decisions but it's totally fine.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Playing this makes me wish the competitive Gwent version was on Switch, too.

I will say that this game is actually pretty difficult, too. I'm on Act 2 and one of these side battles seem practically impossible with my current cards. I can definitely see how this can turn a lot of people off. The frequency of battles is often too so it's one of those games I have to play in short bursts because after like a battle or two I'm already spent.

I guess I can always just stick to the main story if I get stuck with a side quest.

Last edited:

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing this one the Switch and having a great time, but the graphics are kind of grainy (mostly the animated background), especially when we see people talking to each other in cutscenes (or whatever you want to call them). Is it like this for anyone else?

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Finally got around to beating this game.

I enjoyed it a lot. It's a shame it didn't sell well because I think the game deserved to have much more success and I would have liked to see another game like this in the future but now it will probably never come about. Nice and varied environments, a meaty length with great writing, the different choices numerous, and fun Gwent gameplay that was different enough from the Witcher 3 Gwent to make it feel unique in its own right.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I picked this game up on Switch on sale given the positive reviews...and I hate it. I'm finding it is a miserable experience. I have no idea how to play it and I think the tutorial did an absolutely terrible job of explaining what to do. Battles seem so random and I always end up losing as I don't understand the game mechanics.

I'm a decent gamer overall and this is the first game I've ever played where I literally have no idea what I'm doing. I'm really close to dropping it and it sucks, because I feel there is a good game here - I just have no idea how to play it.