• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, there was an update for GoG galaxy, and then the preload appeared. 6GB. I guess they delayed the preload until the update was done.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Does this integrate with the multiplayer GWENT game in any way? Are the cards the same?

OP
OP
Bardoon

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Can you pre-load HC or is it only for Thronebreaker?

Just Thronebreaker.

Does this integrate with the multiplayer GWENT game in any way? Are the cards the same?

You can find cards and cosmetics when exploring in Thronebreaker that will be shared with Gwent account (if you have one of course).

But the cards you use/play against in Thronebreaker are mostly different than they are in Gwent, because they are tailored for story/quest scenarios.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
When does it unlock? I am sick for the week and it is 23th in Germany, but I still only have pre-load option.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Why isn't there more hype for this? It's a new major singleplayer game by CDPR; Witcher 3 people worked on its story, characters and dialogues; the reviews are quite stellar and praise the gameplay as well; etc. Is this because console versions are delayed?
I, for one, am incredibly hyped.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Why isn't there more hype for this? It's a new major singleplayer game by CDPR; Witcher 3 people worked on its story, characters and dialogues; the reviews are quite stellar and praise the gameplay as well; etc. Is this because console versions are delayed?

I think the lack of a Steam release is one major reason and the release date being so close to RDR2. There's a reason no one wanted to release a game the same week as RDR2 or for a week or 2 afterwards... I'm likely going to wait for a sale. If the game was available on GMG with a 20% discount or even just on Steam since I have $6 credit from selling cards, I'd get it day 1.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

Gwent was a cool distraction in TW3.... but there is no way I'm gonna play a game where all the combat is replaced by gwent.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I think the lack of a Steam release is one major reason and the release date being so close to RDR2. There's a reason no one wanted to release a game the same week as RDR2 or for a week or 2 afterwards... I'm likely going to wait for a sale. If the game was available on GMG with a 20% discount or even just on Steam since I have $6 credit from selling cards, I'd get it day 1.

GMG most likely screwed themselves out of ever working with CDPR by sourcing and selling grey market TW3 keys back when TW3 launched.

Gwent was a cool distraction in TW3.... but there is no way I'm gonna play a game where all the combat is replaced by gwent.

Gwent in TW3 isn't same as Gwent in standalone TCG which isn't even near what Gwent is in this game.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Why are you going to wait for a sale if it's a great game (as apparently reviews indicate)? Just because it's not available on Steam? It's already a bargain, in my opinion: a new large 25-30-hours single-player game for just $30. I mean, you get more bang for your buck than with most other games, even if you'd cut $6 off their price.

Battles in Thronebreaker have very little in common with Witcher 3's Gwent. Hell, they even have pretty major differences with the new standalone Gwent to be released simultaneously today. Just read gameplay portions of the reviews, e.g. of the Gamespot one. And take a look at the 37-minute gameplay walkthrough.

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Well, in that case then I'd say the marketing just has been piss poor. I was under the impression this was still a Gwent game, just single player.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hyped, but I'm tuning out for a month (until it's released on PS4 together with Gwent Homecoming).

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
It is a single player Gwent game.
But they changed the formula quite a bit, right? From three to two rows and some of those cards and synergies are pretty complex, in comparison to the quick and easy setup of the original Gwent.

However I don't think the marketing was poor. Whoever has remote interest in the game could have noticed that. They announced those huge changes some months ago and revealed them just a couple of weeks ago.

Personally, I pretty much lost my interest into the game, due to the massive changes. It seriously does not resemble the mini game at all anymore, besides the core game play idea.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
For Thronebreaker you just have to think of the Gwent combat as a battlefield with two armies and you controlling one. It's actually pretty fun and strategic and much better than The Witcher 3's version.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Well, in that case then I'd say the marketing just has been piss poor. I was under the impression this was still a Gwent game, just single player.

It is a single player gwent game. And gwent got completely overhauled today as well with the launch of throne breaker called homecoming

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
But they changed the formula quite a bit, right? From three to two rows and some of those cards and synergies are pretty complex, in comparison to the quick and easy setup of the original Gwent.

However I don't think the marketing was poor. Whoever has remote interest in the game could have noticed that. They announced those huge changes some months ago and revealed them just a couple of weeks ago.

Personally, I pretty much lost my interest into the game, due to the massive changes. It seriously does not resemble the mini game at all anymore, besides the core game play idea.
It looks like it is a lot more in depth. And there are apparently a lot of puzzles interwoven with the mini-game to resemble the story beats.

OP
OP
Bardoon

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I know this is gonna seem obvious, but if anyone is wanting a bit of a challenge then starting on hard is probably the way to go. A few of the reviews said the base difficulty can feel too easy. Thought I'd mention it, since we are only like 1 hour away from launch.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Oh ok, such small delays are so weird to me, like why? Was someone taking a late lunch? lol

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Whelp shit. I have to start work at 4 and wanted to get some hours in to start on my Review. My week is packed and Red Dead is also coming out... Oh man. :(

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Servers are dead. It took me 30min just to update the gog client.
And the game download has been stuck at 3% for minutes now.

Edit: lol now it's at 2%. It actually went down hahahah
I think i'll try again tomorrow.

deadfish

Nov 12, 2017
Looks really cool, haven't been a big card game fan before but I will give this a try. Like it not being PvP focused.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
Just played half an hour, I think I will really like this game. Reminds me of Etherlords a bit. Or Kings Bounty, just with Gwent combat obviously.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Instabought, but will play later after RDR2. Witcher RPG, even 2D one, is not to be rushed.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
Played to the first boss type battle, was fun but figured out the mechanic to optionally kill him too late.

The puzzle scenarios seem good, the first one past the tutorial had me thinking.

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
No Ultrawide 21:9 support in Thronebreaker. Damn shame considering how most of the cutscenes are 21:9 with black bars in 16:9.

Also, look at all those scraps after the great mill. 250K. FeelsGoodMan

S1TtvUG.jpg

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Have there been any hints on if this will eventually ported to the Switch? I am assuming not, but wasn't sure if people tracking the community/development around this might have heard something...

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia