• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm relieved this isn't out on consoles yet as I'd have trouble choosing between this, the Spider-Man DLC and Red Dead. Can't wait to play it in December though.

Last edited:

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
How's the performance?
Well it's a card game so good I guess? Hard to not be good I'd think. You can just launch Gwent for free since as far as I can tell it runs on the same engine. There's the whole worldmap adventure thing but since that has barely anything going on, I doubt it's much more demanding than the minimum specs. FPS isn't going to be a big concern either since there isn't really any action or even animated stuff going on.

questionmark

Oct 25, 2017
As someone with the Witcher-series on my to-play-list, I'm wondering if this spoils any moments in the series to any significant degree. Might be too early to tell for those that are just starting the game, but maybe a developer or journalist has commented on it. Anyone know?

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea this came out already. Very interested in playing it, but with Red Dead coming on Thursday, I might wait a bit...

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
As someone with the Witcher-series on my to-play-list, I'm wondering if this spoils any moments in the series to any significant degree. Might be too early to tell for those that are just starting the game, but maybe a developer or journalist has commented on it. Anyone know?

This is a prequel set at least 10 years before TW1. The only thing it'll spoil is the 2nd Northern War from the book saga.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Screenshots don't do this game justice, damn. I'll give it a try anyway.

qAdtzNP.jpg

Last edited:

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland

No, you won't spoil yourself The Witcher games by playing Thronebreaker. It's basically a spin-off where you play as a new main character (Queen Meve, while TW trilogy is about Geralt of Rivia), story is set years before the events of main games. Fun fact, Thronebreaker has some ties with The Witcher novels, though. Queen Meve was a very minor character in one of the novels (Baptism of Fire), her arc was expanded to its own standalone game.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Btw. I played a little bit of a revamped Gwent. Before you start playing with others, you have to complete a new tutorial, which is actually quite cool addition. It's a little side-adventure about Geralt and Dandelion which teaches you all of the basics. If you are hesitant about combat in Thronebreaker, I recommend to at least trying this tutorial (Gwent is avaiable for free at GOG). It should give you a glimpse how Gwent will work out in a full game.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Played for about 4 hours now and I'm really enjoying it even though I'm not a big fan of isometric games. Still, the art style is gorgeous and the narrator is really good as well.

The puzzles are good fun and most haven't been that obvious and took me at least two tries. And the different mechanics/goals they introduce are refreshing. I hope they'll continue to be mostly unique.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy/care about the card gameplay at all? I'm just playing it for the RPG/story elements which are great, and I love the art style. I'm playing on the adventure mode so I can just skip the battles if I want to.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Any user impressions?

I've played five hours so far on the hardest difficulty. The game consists of puzzle battles and normal battles like in the multiplayer. It's too easy for me, even on the hardest difficulty. That's probably because I've played the game since the closed beta started two years ago. The writing so far is pretty good. The game has several interesting characters and the writing of side stuff is good as well, just like in The Witcher 3. Your choices also matter like they do in The Witcher games. It has a great art style and the sound effects are solid. The game expects you to use your imagination to get a picture of what CDPR is trying to tell though. Exploration is rewarding, because you can find resources which you need to upgrade your camp and for crafting cards. You can also find unlocks for the multiplayer and pieces of some good cards.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
The UI bugged for me twice, couldn't use hotkeys nor see the icons on the screen, had to alt+f4 both times which was rather annoying...

OP
OP
Bardoon

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I played a few hours earlier, got to the second area. Enjoying it so far, the puzzles are fun. I agree with earlier post that it's not particularly hard even on the hard difficulty though. Art and voice acting is top notch.

One of the golden chests has bugged for me, when I opened it it said it failed to add the card to my Gwent account. So now I can't get premium elf soup in Gwent :(

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interested to see if this can run on my work laptop. Sooner or later will buy this if reviews claim correctly how good it's story is

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted to start this before I dive into the long AC Ody. Still finishing off the never ending DQXI, but if I can run this on my laptop, then I could perhaps start this earlier. Will decide over the weekend.

Oct 26, 2017
In terms of overall mechanics, basically yeah (Gwent is getting an update the same day). But there will be lots of different card effects and puzzles that won't exist in standalone Gwent for reasons like balance or just because it doesn't fit a multiplayer setting.
Really? I saw a video of this and it looks like there were only two ranks to deploy cards onto as opposed to three for Gwent. Has Gwent been significantly reworked since I saw it last?

SourKiwi

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2018
please pleeease someone tell me it has full controller support on pc! loving what i see

Stalwart

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
What is the adventure mode thing? If battles arent done with cards when what do you do in the game?

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I just started. Really excited to do more after the first few battles. The environmental puzzle tutorial I played seemed rather clever.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Performance in homecoming is definitely worse than in old Gwent. My laptop can barely run it now .
I'm scare of buying Thronebreaker and not being able to run it :/

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
One of the golden chests has bugged for me, when I opened it it said it failed to add the card to my Gwent account. So now I can't get premium elf soup in Gwent :(
Happened to me as well.
What is the adventure mode thing? If battles arent done with cards when what do you do in the game?
I guess it's mostly exploring and enjoying the story. You can still do the battles/puzzles but you have the option to skip them if I understood that correctly.

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
i just received the email from GOG, i thought they release the game at same day on PS4

prefer to play on console at the moment, not sure why they potspone it to December :(

whatever, i'll wait, hope i won't stumble upon spoilers

Oct 27, 2017
i just received the email from GOG, i thought they release the game at same day on PS4

prefer to play on console at the moment, not sure why they potspone it to December :(

whatever, i'll wait, hope i won't stumble upon spoilers

Maybe they concentrated on PC first, ironing it all out or... RDR2, it would be suicide to release it the same week it comes out.
I hate the wait too, but from Friday everything is put on hold for me, RDR2 comes first.

OP
OP
Bardoon

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Rayla + Xavier + Reynard is so overpowered. You can play 4 cards from your deck in a single turn. I've been using War Wagons alongside Plunderers, Grey Riders and Strays Slingers. In shortened rounds it's easy to run out of space to play anything. I might change it up and try something else though.

Really? I saw a video of this and it looks like there were only two ranks to deploy cards onto as opposed to three for Gwent. Has Gwent been significantly reworked since I saw it last?

Gwent is now 2 rows too. They spent the last six months of Gwent beta reworking the game entirely. Now it has the same overall structure as in Thronebreaker - 2 rows, leader stands at the side, etc.