• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
Gonna give a PSA for those just joining. These are spoilers from the first map, but if you make these choices, you'll feel bad man.

When you do the side quest to recover the stolen jewels from the Temple of Melitele, don't take them for the war effort. You'll lose out on being able to recruit a super cool companion.

When you come across an elf being lynched by a mob, shut it down, but don't let him join your party. Seems the villages had reason to suspect him after all.

I'm not sure what the outcome is of killing the Nilfgaardian emissary, I didn't do do, but I did capture him in irons. I'm going to suspect that its not a good idea to murder him in cold blood.

Unlike Witcher 3, where I found its morality laughable, and got the best outcome in my first playthrough, I've fucked up this Thronebreaker playthrough, I'm actually thinking of restarting.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
I'm still fairly early on in the game but so far it's been really great. I'm surprised it has so many puzzles where you have to use your cards specific abilities in a certain way to win.

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
I don't know why CDPR said that this is an open world game, because it's not, and that's good. It's a linear hub world style cRPG with Gwent instead of RTwP. When you leave a map, you don't return. As someone who loves those kinds of games, some of my favorites games are the BioWare RPG's from that era, and Dues Ex, thanks Jesus this isn't yet another open world copy paste collectathon.

It's funny, because I recall CDPR saying they would never make another RPG like this. Again, as someone who loves TW2 because it has branching paths and doesn't take 200 hours to finish like TW3, praise be to who ever pushed for this in the studio.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Really? I saw a video of this and it looks like there were only two ranks to deploy cards onto as opposed to three for Gwent. Has Gwent been significantly reworked since I saw it last?

Gwent has been significantly reworked at least 5 times in the last 2 years.

Homecoming is what they consider to be the final version, hence why it's version 1.0

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Gonna give a PSA for those just joining. These are spoilers from the first map, but if you make these choices, you'll feel bad man.

When you do the side quest to recover the stolen jewels from the Temple of Melitele, don't take them for the war effort. You'll lose out on being able to recruit a super cool companion.

When you come across an elf being lynched by a mob, shut it down, but don't let him join your party. Seems the villages had reason to suspect him after all.

I'm not sure what the outcome is of killing the Nilfgaardian emissary, I didn't do do, but I did capture him in irons. I'm going to suspect that its not a good idea to murder him in cold blood.

Unlike Witcher 3, where I found its morality laughable, and got the best outcome in my first playthrough, I've fucked up this Thronebreaker playthrough, I'm actually thinking of restarting.
What companion do you mean? I can't remember if I took the jewels or not.

And yeah, I let the elf join my party, this POS lol

But yeah, there's some stuff I'd do differently now. But the first map alone took me almost 8h to complete, so I'll just continue with the decisions I made so far.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
End of first map spoilers
So who the hell will rescue you from the dungeon if you manage to kill Gascon in battle?

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
End of first map spoilers
So who the hell will rescue you from the dungeon if you manage to kill Gascon in battle?

If you "kill" him in the Gwent battle, it just ends the battle. It's one of the optional adjectives. Other battles have them too. He doesn't actually die. I know because I did that.

What companion do you mean? I can't remember if I took the jewels or not.

And yeah, I let the elf join my party, this POS lol

But yeah, there's some stuff I'd do differently now. But the first map alone took me almost 8h to complete, so I'll just continue with the decisions I made so far.

Eyck of Denesle

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
The only thing I have to hold against Thronebreaker so far: the card descriptions aren't always as clear as they should be. There was a puzzle (D'ao) where I had no idea how I was supposed to solve it and in the end I just got lucky that it worked out. I almost switched to adventure mode to skip this puzzle.
Eyck of Denesle
Ah, seems like I've missed him. But you can meet him later even if you take the money. But I still managed to not get him to join my party lol

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Can someone explain the saving system to me:
How do I save my game?
How do I reload my game?
Are there any permanent penalties associated with losing gwent battles, such as losing resources or not being able to try again with some battles?

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
The only thing I have to hold against Thronebreaker so far: the card descriptions aren't always as clear as they should be. There was a puzzle (D'ao) where I had no idea how I was supposed to solve it and in the end I just got lucky that it worked out. I almost switched to adventure mode to skip this puzzle.

Ah, seems like I've missed him. But you can meet him later even if you take the money. But I still managed to not get him to join my party lol

In Aedirn?

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
No, still in Lyria. You meet him before you make your final way to the capital (there's a destroyed village where you can go west instead of east to the capital, he's standing in front of the village entrance). He's hunting a monster and you can offer to help him in return for his help with the Nilfgaardian invaders. But he declines and says that's not his war to fight. You can insist that he joins you but I didn't do that.

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
No, still in Lyria. You meet him before you make your final way to the capital (there's a destroyed village where you can go west instead of east to the capital, he's standing in front of the village entrance). He's hunting a monster and you can offer to help him in return for his help with the Nilfgaardian invaders. But he declines and says that's not his war to fight. You can insist that he joins you but I didn't do that.
Yeah, that's what I meant. You only meet him once, during the manticore quest in Lyria.

If you steal the gold, and then ask him to join you, he says you're a blasphemer bc you stole from the gods. Then you (I'm assuming) never see him again.

If you don't steal, he can join you and stay in your party because I've seen screenshots of him in the Aedirnian mess tent (Meve's camp changes looks depending on the region its in).

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Yeah, that's what I meant. You only meet him once, during the manticore quest in Lyria.

If you steal the gold, and then ask him to join you, he says you're a blasphemer bc you stole from the gods. Then you (I'm assuming) never see him again.

If you don't steal, he can join you and stay in your party because I've seen screenshots of him in the Aedirnian mess tent (Meve's camp changes looks depending on the region its in).
Alright, I get it now. Seems like I didn't steal the gold but I neither insisted that he joins me, so I ended up without him.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Either these puzzles are super fucking hard or I'm a fucking idiot. Spent probably 45 minutes on the first puzzle with the drowners? And now I'm stuck on the next one.

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
Ahhh, this would be perfect for the Switch but doesn't look like a release on that is on the horizon. I'd have loved to play this while traveling etc.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Regarding those optional objectives in battles

They don't change anything. They're just an alternative win condition that's often easier than trying to win by points.

Or at least I won by killing Gascon and watched other streams that didn't and the story was the same afterwards. Since then I've won every battle via optional objective if it was there.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Either these puzzles are super fucking hard or I'm a fucking idiot. Spent probably 45 minutes on the first puzzle with the drowners? And now I'm stuck on the next one.
Haha you're not the only one! I felt so dumb once figuring it out. Keeps happening too hahaha

Dio

Oct 25, 2017

somewhat pissed by that emissary choice. i thought locking him up was the evidently better option, but got surprised by it saying it was choosing evil for another. then i went to choose the other, same notification, but now the game was able to save before i could close it. ffs

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So i played Gwent in Witcher 3 and thought it was fun.
Did all the related achievements to it.

But The Official Online Cardgame and this new one are different when it comes to rules and how it works,right?

Is this SinglePlayer Gwent as deep and confusing as the usual cardgames?
For ages im interested so much in cardgames but once you leave the "beginner" level and you have to build yourself a deck with tons of special,summon etc effects out of 1000s of cards so i usually give up.
I just a couple months back played a Multiplayer YuGiOh game and got pretty much destroyed in the first round by some dude that couldn't stop summoning stuff because his deck kinda played itself while i had garbage on my hand and couldn't do shit and the only way to change it is to either google for OP Decks or read tons of card descriptions and plan the masterplan.

Though this is a SinglePlayer CardGame with an actual story i heard,so i guess i don't have to fear that i get destroyed in 1 turn by a self playing deck,right?

So if someone is already far enough..
Is it still deep enough to deliver a challenge on Normal Mode without the need to google for Overpowered Decks or would it be a braindead experience because the AI is no challenge?

OP
OP
Bardoon

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Well, I've had my first departures

Both Rayla and Eyck have left my team. Can't say I will miss either of them, even though Rayla's card was bonkers good with Xavier and Reynard.

The decision that caused Eyck to leave took me a few moments to decide, and after I chose it I immediately regretted it. Not because of Eyck leaving, but because I think I should have chosen the other option. I was thinking that by sparing Keltullis she might appear and help me at a later time, but when I thought about it more, I don't think that's likely to happen.

The puzzles are still the best thing. The one

at Falbeson's manor, when he asks you to the meal, is one of my favourite ones so far. I just liked the idea of a Meve, Gascon and Reynard in a fight around a banquet, with the wine card and Reynard flipping the tables lol

The 3 round matches with normal rules are too easy.

I've moved onto using more of a trinket deck now, with a few Lyrian Blacksmiths.

But The Official Online Cardgame and this new one are different when it comes to rules and how it works,right?

For ages im interested so much in cardgames but once you leave the "beginner" level and you have to build yourself a deck with tons of special,summon etc effects out of 1000s of cards so i usually give up.
I just a couple months back played a Multiplayer YuGiOh game and got pretty much destroyed in the first round by some dude that couldn't stop summoning stuff because his deck kinda played itself while i had garbage on my hand and couldn't do shit and the only way to change it is to either google for OP Decks or read tons of card descriptions and plan the masterplan.

Though this is a SinglePlayer CardGame with an actual story i heard,so i guess i don't have to fear that i get destroyed in 1 turn by a self playing deck,right?

Is it still deep enough to deliver a challenge on Normal Mode without the need to google for Overpowered Decks or would it be a braindead experience because the AI is no challenge?

A lot of the matches in Thronebreaker are puzzles which have their own rules. They don't function like a normal card game and more like brain teasers telling a story. One example I can give that isn't a spoiler, is in one puzzle all but two spots on the board are filled with "corpses" and you have to destroy all the corpses. Each time you destroy a corpse it damages ones next to it. And you have to destroy them all in a limited number of turns.

I'm playing on the hardest difficulty, and some of the puzzles can be challenging, but any match that is a regular match vs AI is too easy.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017

That's what I was about to post, but I am really enjoying it as I like puzzle based games. But it's been a while since I have played Gwent so I am just a bit rusty I guess.

Oct 26, 2017

-Yes, both Gwent and Thronebreaker are more 'advanced' than Gwent in W3.

-Dunno, what are the 'usual cardgames'. Some of themm are pretty complex, others less so. What I can say... it's a f2p game, so just try it. The moment you feel you hit a wall, just stop playing.

-Thronebreaker veers into being easy, yeah. In fact I would prefer it if it would be harder. Hard feels what normal difficulty should be. The exception are the optional puzzles, they can be pretty tricky.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
That's a relief to hear. How well does the story fit into expanding events prior/during the book Baptism of Fire?

I haven't read that book yet. CDPR definitely added some characters that weren't in the books. They also added characters in the game from the books who were't busy during that time in the book.

Eyck of Denesle can become your companion and you fight Albrich for example

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
-Yes, both Gwent and Thronebreaker are more 'advanced' than Gwent in W3.

-Dunno, what are the 'usual cardgames'. Some of themm are pretty complex, others less so. What I can say... it's a f2p game, so just try it. The moment you feel you hit a wall, just stop playing.

-Thronebreaker veers into being easy, yeah. In fact I would prefer it if it would be harder. Hard feels what normal difficulty should be. The exception are the optional puzzles, they can be pretty tricky.

Cool
Thanks for the answer - Will probably pick it up after RDR2 especially because it has a SinglePlayer which seems fairly decently long.

With usual I've really meant those that are popular but at the same time are so complex that you really don't have any fun if you aren't using a deck crafted by a ProPlayer or something like that because everyone is copying them.
Those that when you play 1 card that summons 50 more units which you sacrifice to summon 30 different stronger units and then do some more crazy stuff to win in a single round.

Elysiums

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
The best part is that the game is Denuvo Free.. that's a major thing for me when I decide if I buy a game or not.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tried to hold off for the console version so I don't end up starting this right before RDR, but hype was too strong.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really enjoying this new meta (or the lack of it). There are not netdecks available so you see lots of experimentation and different decks.
Nihil is crazy strong though, it's gonna be nerfed hard. But I love my GS deck.

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
The art looks awesome but I did not like Gwent, so I may pass. Unless it turns out to be a must buy in a few months.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Rayla left at the beginning of Act 3 cause I wasn't hard enough on the nonhumans in Aedirn :(