• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Bardoon

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Anyone far in the story? I've been making some progress in Mahakam.

I just reached Angren, the fourth area.

Rayla left at the beginning of Act 3 cause I wasn't hard enough on the nonhumans in Aedirn :(

She stayed with me for a bit in Mahakam. But then she went all psycho and murderered a bunch of dwarves, she was covered in blood, huge grin on her face. I told her to leave. There was an option to let her stay, but she's just a bloodlusting racist, so I think she's always going to cause problems like this.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
The art looks awesome but I did not like Gwent, so I may pass. Unless it turns out to be a must buy in a few months.
It has very little in common with Witcher 3's Gwent, so if you didn't like that it's not really an indication of whether you'll like Thronebreaker. Reviews are quite stellar, by the way (and I personally like it a lot).

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
She stayed with me for a bit in Mahakam. But then she went all psycho and murderered a bunch of dwarves, she was covered in blood, huge grin on her face. I told her to leave. There was an option to let her stay, but she's just a bloodlusting racist, so I think she's always going to cause problems like this.

Ok wow... maybe it's better that she left now.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Only played 5 hours so far, but loving it more and more. Trolls making an appearance is always fun! I'm still on the first map though, so I have a lot to see.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First map spoilers, asking about a treasure map location:

I found that note and map that point you to an inn opposite the temple and the map itself is just a nondescript building on a road with a fence attached to the building. Anyone want to tell me where this is? I wasn't sure if the note was referring to the big Melitile temple or some small unnamed one but I looked all over and I couldn't figure it out

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
The art looks awesome but I did not like Gwent, so I may pass. Unless it turns out to be a must buy in a few months.

If you are bad at card games like me, its can be a challenge

My brain fails to make the connections needed for some of the puzzles

It took me 7 tires to kill a stupid cow

:(

Story, presentation and VO is excellent though

If you want more Witcher its basically an isometric Visual Novel version of TW3

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Damn RDR2! I actually just loaded up Gwent last night and was blown away by the changes and it tickled my fancy to play this. I will buy it tonight and then play it after RDR2 is completed.

Watercolour

Oct 27, 2017
Music question:
Has anyone been to find the music track that plays when you fight the Elven leader in the cemetery? That's definitely one of my favourite fights in Thronebreaker thus far.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I just reached Angren, the fourth area.

Isn't Angren the last area of the game? On their webside they have this written in the game description - "Explore never-before-seen parts of The Witcher world — Lyria, Rivia, Aedirn, Mahakam and Angren."

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I fucking love this game. It's so well made and the puzzles are actually challenging. The first real one with "leave these guys at 1hp" took me quite a while to figure out haha

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I like the MP, but I hope they can add in missing mechanics like armour and strength/weaken soon enough. Some of these artefacts (Sihil basically) are so damn annoying

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Can someone explain the turn counter system on the right to me? I have no idea what round I am on.
Most fights in Thronebreaker are short fights(it says at the beginning, twice, once during the story screen showing all the effcts on he fight light story quest, puzzle etc and then as you load full screen), which means there's only one round. When it's not it's bo3. Basically the crowns represent the wins, if it's bo3 they're both dark and whoever wins a round has half the crown lightning up, and fully lit up when you win twice(which ends), and short fights start with both sides having half the crown already lit up.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most fights in Thronebreaker are short fights(it says at the beginning, twice, once during the story screen showing all the effcts on he fight light story quest, puzzle etc and then as you load full screen), which means there's only one round. When it's not it's bo3. Basically the crowns represent the wins, if it's bo3 they're both dark and whoever wins a round has half the crown lightning up, and fully lit up when you win twice(which ends), and short fights start with both sides having half the crown already lit up.

Holy crap, now I get it. This isn't a turn counter at all lol. So is there no turn counter?

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Holy crap, now I get it. This isn't a turn counter at all lol. So is there no turn counter?
Not that I know, there's no reason to count turns in this after all, no mana, you just stop playing when you run out of cards or when you pass. Each individual card has its own counter for stuff that's turn based like cooldowns and such.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not that I know, there's no reason to count turns in this after all, no mana, you just stop playing when you run out of cards or when you pass. Each individual card has its own counter for stuff that's turn based like cooldowns and such.

Wait I'm confused, I thought the game ended after 3 turns, I must be mistaken. The game ends when both players pass? I need to rewatch the tutorial or something lol.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Wait I'm confused, I thought the game ended after 3 turns, I must be mistaken. The game ends when both players pass? I need to rewatch the tutorial or something lol.
I mean those are rounds, not turns. Like you take turns playing your cards and stuff, and when both players pass(you automatically pass once you run out of cards to play in your hand too), the round resolves, it checks the total power value(the number on the right side which is just all the numbers of your cards added up), whoever is highest wins. If it's only one round like most short fights, then that's it, if it's 3 rounds(standard game, although not common in this), then you draw 3new cards and play again until someone wins 2 rounds. You can pass before you're done playing all your hand if you feel this round is lost, as long as you plan on winning 2 out of 3, which wins the game.

Note that passing is a specific term, there's end turn and passing. If you play a card or use any order(including your hero), then you will only be able to end turn, which will let your opponent play. If however you want to just give up for now, you can use Pass at the start of the round instead. This means you will not be able to do anything anymore until this entire round is over(until your opponent pass, but he can take any amount of turns he wants before doing so). If you're guaranteed to win or lose then you pass to end, and again if you run out of cards in your hands you'll pass automatically.

If you don't draw cards, the maximum amount of turns in a round would be 10, the 10 cards you can play from your hand. Any drawing mechanic will add more potential turns, and since you can pass early, the round can also be less than 10turns. That's why there's no turn counter, because rounds are as long as they need to be.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
There's a good explanation by Pyros Eien already. But I'll add that there's plenty of battles that are for one round only. The game conditions are in the screen before the battle, like if it's a one round battle or if it uses special decks.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying this new meta (or the lack of it). There are not netdecks available so you see lots of experimentation and different decks.
Nihil is crazy strong though, it's gonna be nerfed hard. But I love my GS deck.

Do you mean Sihil? The stupid artefact that increases damage every time you kill a unit? I hate that card. Someone made a suggestion that artefacts should at least have armour health, which I think is a great idea as it removes the binary of needing artefact destroying cards only to destroy them

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Damn RDR2! I actually just loaded up Gwent last night and was blown away by the changes and it tickled my fancy to play this. I will buy it tonight and then play it after RDR2 is completed.

I'm about 9/10 hours into Thronebreaker but RDR2 comes out tomorrow yea. Very unfortunate timing since I'm loving Thronebreaker. I'll just play both alongside each other but it sucks. Arrived at second map and already pretty far into it. Game starts a bit slow but once you reach the end of map 1 things kick off for real.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Is it possible to fail puzzles? I was trying (and failing miserably) to solve the ice troll puzzle in Mahakam and after a few tries, it just kicked me out of the puzzle. That said, I'm not sure if I clicked something and forfeited or something but when I was back on the map, the option to do the puzzle was gone. I Alt+F4ed as quickly as I could but the damn autosave is just too fast in this game lol.

It's a bit annoying because I solved all other puzzles so far.

OP
OP
Bardoon

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Is it possible to fail puzzles? I was trying (and failing miserably) to solve the ice troll puzzle in Mahakam and after a few tries, it just kicked me out of the puzzle. That said, I'm not sure if I clicked something and forfeited or something but when I was back on the map, the option to do the puzzle was gone. I Alt+F4ed as quickly as I could but the damn autosave is just too fast in this game lol.

It's a bit annoying because I solved all other puzzles so far.

Was that the one with the snowballs? If so, the same thing happened to me. Only one it's happened with so far though.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Ended up buying it and installing it so it is ready to go as soon as I finish my current game. Tempted to just start this anyway haha.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
In case you wanna save scum because being locked out of MP unlockables for "consequences" that should really be SP focused is annoying, your saves are in Appdata/LocalLow instead of the usual Appdata/Roaming

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. I've seen ads for this pop up on YouTube. I had no idea it was a fleshed out SP game. The ad on YouTube made it look like some mobile game.

Watercolour

Oct 27, 2017
Really starting to warm up to Homecoming!

I was sure I was going to lose this match until my opponent played a Ihuarraquax and summoned my Vattier, which allowed me to steal the highest unit on his board, which also happened to be locked down prior.

The screenshot is dark because I took it just a few seconds after the post-game transition.

tvAuytV.jpg

Last edited:

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Do you mean Sihil? The stupid artefact that increases damage every time you kill a unit? I hate that card. Someone made a suggestion that artefacts should at least have armour health, which I think is a great idea as it removes the binary of needing artefact destroying cards only to destroy them
Yup that one. It's pretty stupid right now, you either have artifact removal or you lose the game. And playing around it it's tricky when you can bait removal with the bronce lances, or resurrect it with Caretaker.
Unless the meta settles in a very different direction, the sword and the Witcher trio getting nerfed hard.

Oct 26, 2017
From the new Gwent, I'm not a fan of how 'capped' it feels in some aspects, like capped hand size or capped row size.

But for the rest, I like it. I like the Order system as a way to give a chance the opponent to remove the card if he thinks it's very valuable, basically the equivalent to summon sickness, but also they still keep the ability to play an effect immediately (deploy/zeal) for variety, or even play around with re-using the effect with Charges.

I like having different mulligans for leaders, and different number of uses of effects, it gives more variety between them.

I actually like having less consistency of the game, with a minimum of 25 cards on the decks and max 2 bronzes, although I know some people loved how consistent it was before. But for me, it was more like hyper-consistency, with decks playing very similarly between games, and the games themselves being too focused on deckbuilding (where you design your synergistic super combo of death based on a concept, like siege engines or consume or dwarf buff) and the games were more about putting your super combo on the board and the opponent doing the same, and he who had a better combo won. I mean, the game is still notably more consistent than other card games, but a lil' less than before.

Obviously having some kind of solution to the coin flip is good, too. Weather feels in a good spot, after so many iterations of being OP or UP.

edit: Swim shows 14 different good decks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lVNvzsTSME

Oct 26, 2017
Almost 10 hours played of TB.

The game has the flaw, like The Wicher 3, of being too easy. Like, damn, how hard can be to put a very hard more that is challenging, for the veterans. And it isn't like I'm a pro Gwent player, I played casually for two months close to one year ago, and except the puzzles, I'm beating the fights by a difference of 40-70 points, playing in Hard already.

BTW, Nilfgaard in this game seems to be a really evil empire in TB. Slaving people, burning entire cities, being cocky and mocking you, etc, and it's a different tone than the one used in The Witcher 2/3, where they were presented in a bit more neutral guy, the bad guys, but more like, just another side in the war, not inherently evil.
The typical grey morality from The Witcher games is presented in hard decisions you have to take in a hard situation, and less in the characters or the setting itself. Meve is presented as very upright queen who will fight to the death the enemy, and I think it would have been interesting to remark more her flaws, she seems uncompromising to a fault, she is uptight, she doesn't seem to be able to use a more broad perspective.

For example there was a moment that seemed funny to me, in her capital she exclaims, without a pinch of irony, how Nilfgaard will stole their freedoms if they surrender. Funny, because she said that as an absolute monarch! Her normal citizens will have as much freedom under Emhyr than under her.

Although, you know, there could be a way to reconcile everything; the story you play is a tale told by the guy from the intro. So it could be an 'embellished' tale, or a biased look or hearsay, not what happened in an objective way.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Meve is presented as very upright queen who will fight to the death the enemy, and I think it would have been interesting to remark more her flaws, she seems uncompromising to a fault, she is uptight, she doesn't seem to be able to use a more broad perspective.

For example there was a moment that seemed funny to me, in her capital she exclaims, without a pinch of irony, how Nilfgaard will stole their freedoms if they surrender. Funny, because she said that as an absolute monarch! Her normal citizens will have as much freedom under Emhyr than under her.

Although, you know, there could be a way to reconcile everything; the story you play is a tale told by the guy from the intro. So it could be an 'embellished' tale, or a biased look or hearsay, not what happened in an objective way.
Well aren't those very specific flaws of her? She doesn't seem to be well connected with the daily burdens of the people. There's a conversation with Gascon about the prison break-in which stresses that fact even more.

CDPR even commented that Nilfgaard is presented too positively in The Witcher 3 because they had to cut out a lot of content revolving around war crimes committed by Nilfgaard. Hence why it might feel like Nilfgaard are the good guys, compared to Radovid. There are still a few remnants of that remaining in the game though, like that one quest where you find out Nilfgaard is secretly killing Redanian prisoners of war and hiding them.

Oct 26, 2017
Holy crap, this game is sometimes some Apocalypse Now shit, fantasy version. I'm talking of the forest in Aedirn. At least that's how I imagine her entering in the dark woods finding more and more twisted scenes, and the fight being more and more cruel. The writing is superb, and some of the scenes
(the delirious wounded men tied to the tree being used as bait when suddenly the tree burst into flames, the field hospital in the cave, the burnt mill full of human skulls, the constant ambushes) are some of the most hard hitting stuff for Scoia'tel in the three Witcher games.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
All right, I'll get started.
It's amazing to notice the CdProjekt leg miles away: the details, the composition of the map, the " wrecks " on the ground after a battle, and of course the music and the sound effects. A combination that makes it a good production value.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
To unlock more of the camp building upgrades/skill tree abilities, do I just need to keep playing and they'll open up, or do I have to upgrade the workshop again?

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Was pretty great overall, the normal battles were a tad bit too easy on the hardest diff with some gwent background, but other than that wasn't disappointed. Solid story and writing was good, few puzzles actually required some thinking too, oh and loved the artwork!

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
I kinda wish all battles were puzzles or at least short battles. The normal Gwent battles are too easy anyway and get a bit boring after 20+h.

If I replay it, I'll do it in adventure mode and skip them.

Last edited:

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so what does Elf and Onion Soup do exactly? Can you make any card you want that's Bronze? Are you given a random one? Just for the match?

As for battle difficulty, I'm glad it's very manageable (only on the first map so far). It encourages me to use any deck I want versus being pressured to use some over others. Also redrawing cards can give sucky results sometimes, so it's nice to work myself out of that as well without needing to restart (all the time anyways).

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
This game wasn't on my radar at all. Stumbled on a review on YouTube and damn, that looks great! Didn't know that it has such a meaty story and content, will buy it later today. Pleasant surprise .