• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Wait, so what does Elf and Onion Soup do exactly? Can you make any card you want that's Bronze? Are you given a random one? Just for the match?
You can choose between three random bronze cards that don't have to be in your deck. And just for one match, yes.
Gotcha, thanks.

Also just wanted to say the chests in this game are really lame. Not a fan of being rewarded for exploring the over world with an avatar border for a different game.
Yeah, I still open them for the gold but it's kinda lame. They should have tied that stuff to the story battles for example.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
giphy.gif

Wow, well, at first everything goes well with the tutorial, and then we're thrown into the ocean without a float... I who played a little bit of Gwent when it came out in stand-alone, the change is sudden. And this Lyrian flag still intrigues me. Then we take his marks but there is a lot of die & retry.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
How is the story and choices?
The story is arguably the best part of the game. It doesn't get boring and is written pretty well. Lots of twists, betrayals, etc.

As far as I can tell the choices you make do have an impact, probably more than the ones you had to make in TW3. And since the game autosaves after every decision, you really have to consider carefully since there is no going back. And believe me, sometimes it's really hard to make a choice.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The story is arguably the best part of the game. It doesn't get boring and is written pretty well. Lots of twists, betrayals, etc.

As far as I can tell the choices you make do have an impact, probably more than the ones you had to make in TW3. And since the game autosaves after every decision, you really have to consider carefully since there is no going back. And believe me, sometimes it's really hard to make a choice.
good! That's what i want from an RPG! Good story and choices that matter

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just started this. I was going to give it a quick 10 minute spin just to see what it was all about and ended up playing for 2 hours. Great stuff so far.

I'm ashamed to say that I spent like 20 minutes in one puzzle in ch1
Where you have to calm down the angry mob and you just get 3 cards, had a hard time figuring out how to deal the 6dmg at once, heh.

After I solved it, I felt bad cause I chose to punish the instigators and not hang them. The game said I chose an evil option and that the non humans kind of held a grudge against me :(

Oct 26, 2017
Is Trhonebreaker a bit buggy? I had three fights already that I won and I shouldn't have.
1. a puzzle fight with a water hag
2. a puzzle fight with Gascon using stealth to reach the bottom right corner. I won way before being close to that position.
3. the first fight against a monster nest in Mahakam. I barely played 3 cards, the enemy still had more cards to play and the nest still had 45 points or something like that. I think the interaction of the nest with one of the Meve's abilities insta-destroy it.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
The Letho-isbel combo is amazing.
If you manage to get just 1CA, you get two extra cards, choosing from yours or your opponent's deck.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
I wonder if I'll be able to completely upgrade the camp. Currently on map 4 and I'm still missing three upgrades that are quite expensive. And because of a decision I made earlier I just lost 1000 wood lol
Just started this. I was going to give it a quick 10 minute spin just to see what it was all about and ended up playing for 2 hours. Great stuff so far.

I'm ashamed to say that I spent like 20 minutes in one puzzle in ch1
Where you have to calm down the angry mob and you just get 3 cards, had a hard time figuring out how to deal the 6dmg at once, heh.

After I solved it, I felt bad cause I chose to punish the instigators and not hang them. The game said I chose an evil option and that the non humans kind of held a grudge against me :(
It always says that you chose the evil option ("chose one evil over another" or something like that)
Is Trhonebreaker a bit buggy? I had three fights already that I won and I shouldn't have.
2. a puzzle fight with Gascon using stealth to reach the bottom right corner. I won way before being close to that position.
3. the first fight against a monster nest in Mahakam. I barely played 3 cards, the enemy still had more cards to play and the nest still had 45 points or something like that. I think the interaction of the nest with one of the Meve's abilities insta-destroy it.
Yeah, the water hag thing happened to me as well.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't like how they have nerfed stealthily the progression in Gwent. If you want to have a minimum progression and get new cards, the fastest way to do it is doing the daily win, where you have win 6 rounds (to win daily 100 scraps, enough for a keg). That means winning from 3 to 6 rounds in a day, and it's going to be closer to six than to three if you are a new players. That progress of daily wins is reset daily

I disliked that from before, if you are casual player and just want to play 1 or 2 games of Gwent daily, then you are screwed.
But now it's even worse, because the games themselves are longer, a bit because the new order system, a bit because of some slow animations, and a bit because you literally play more cards now as the draw rules have changed.

OP
OP
Bardoon

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I finished the game yesterday. I really enjoyed my time with it, but the regular Gwent matches started to just feel like a chore because I knew I was going to win by hundreds of points. The puzzles were much more engaging, and I'd like to see more of the those in the next Witcher Tales.

The characters were all great. And the end reveal of who the narrator is

cool. I wasn't even thinking it would be Borch. I guess we're going to be following his story with the other Witcher Tales games, and looks like it's heading to Zerrikania to meet Zerrikanian queen at some point, so maybe it's all leading to eventual Zerrikania faction being added into Gwent.

I wonder if I'll be able to completely upgrade the camp. Currently on map 4 and I'm still missing three upgrades that are quite expensive. And because of a decision I made earlier I just lost 1000 wood lol

You get lots of resources in the last two maps. I ended the game with over 40 000 gold and 10 000 wood. I also crafted 5 copies of every unit that I could, so probably could have had even more if I had been more stringent with my spending.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
You get lots of resources in the last two maps. I ended the game with over 40 000 gold and 10 000 wood. I also crafted 5 copies of every unit that I could, so probably could have had even more if I had been more stringent with my spending.
Yeah, managed to fully upgrade the camp while I was still in Angren.

I skipped the first battle in my playthrough today, I just couldn't be bothered to defeat Gernichora. It's kinda like a puzzle but with your own cards. Gave up after several tries with different decks.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
fuuuuuuuuuuuck,
i don't know if i should kill Keltulis or not. obviously Eyck will leave the party, and some of the time he does great combos, but it feels so bad to just kill her.
plz help

OP
OP
Bardoon

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
fuuuuuuuuuuuck,
i don't know if i should kill Keltulis or not. obviously Eyck will leave the party, and some of the time he does great combos, but it feels so bad to just kill her.
plz help

I couldn't bring myself to do it, and just took the card loss.

Some of the decisions you have to make are really hard.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't bring myself to do it, and just took the card loss.

Some of the decisions you have to make are really hard.
it's oh so incredibly conflicting.
i get why the dawrves did it, but i get why it did it too, and in W3, i disliked to kill more aware monsters when they weren't entirely in the wrong, so maybe i should be consistent. so i'm guessing doing it doesn't really affect the main questline?

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
fuuuuuuuuuuuck,
plz help
At first I was gonna kill her but I just couldn't, they killed her babies so obviously she was mad about it. I've lost both Eyck and Rayla, both see the world as black and white so obviously they would have issues with my choices.

OP
OP
Bardoon

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
i get why the dawrves did it, but i get why it did it too, and in W3, i disliked to kill more aware monsters when they weren't entirely in the wrong, so maybe i should be consistent. so i'm guessing doing it doesn't really affect the main questline?

I thought Keltullis might come back later and help Meve, but that didn't happen. Killing her doesn't affect much, just seems to decide whether you keep Eyck or not. You also get a Keltullis Trophy card.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
At first I was gonna kill her but I just couldn't, they killed her babies so obviously she was mad about it. I've lost both Eyck and Rayla, both see the world as black and white so obviously they would have issues with my choices.

I thought Keltullis might come back later and help Meve, but that didn't happen. Killing her doesn't affect much, just seems to decide whether you keep Eyck or not. You also get a Keltullis Trophy card.
ended up deciding to spare her. Rayla(fuck off saying i should have killed the injured scoia'tel), and to a lesser degree Eyck, can screw themselves. your post was very well put, Braag

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, some of the moral decisions are very hard on this game, even harder than in the mainline Witcher series.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Damn, really loving this game. Just left Mahakam. I really should play on the hardest difficulty though, any normal battles are piss easy. There's certain overpowered combos, too good synergy between some of the cards. But this is looking to be my GOTY. Will definitely play the game second time at some point, with harder difficulty and bit different choices. I've been quite ruthless when it comes to war, dealing with Nilfgaard and Scoiatel.
Also just wanted to say the chests in this game are really lame. Not a fan of being rewarded for exploring the over world with an avatar border for a different game.
Well, it's not exactly a different game. Just the multiplayer of it.
This happened to me once too. Also just happened what another poster here mentioned earlier, got kicked out of a battle after losing it and didn't get to retry.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do you guys think this game has bombed? There's very few viewers on twitch, there's not much discussion going on about it. It's a shame because this is awesome.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Do you guys think this game has bombed? There's very few viewers on twitch, there's not much discussion going on about it. It's a shame because this is awesome.
Hard to say, but Twitch numbers aren't really a good indicator about this. Also there's still two platforms waiting for release. And I don't know what CD Projekt's expectations were for the game, but definitely not around the sales of Witcher 3. Not even half of that.

Last edited:

Won

Oct 27, 2017

Thronebreaker had pretty big twitch numbers during launch. Then RDR2 happened. I would assume it did fine.

Gwent itself imo comes off as rather weak after less than a week though. But who really knows.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
ended up deciding to spare her. Rayla(fuck off saying i should have killed the injured scoia'tel), and to a lesser degree Eyck, can screw themselves. your post was very well put, Braag
Yeah. Feels like I lost half my crew in Mahakam. Black Rayla's act I should have seen coming considering how she is in Witcher 1.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
The release timing (DQXI, AC Odyssey, RDR2) is not doing it any favors. Even though I've bought it, I don't think I can start playing it until at least a couple more weeks.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Just finished the game after almost 36h and I thoroughly enjoyed it. But as already mentioned the standard Gwent battles were too easy and became a bit boring, so I switched to Adventure difficulty, skipped them and just did the puzzles and shortened battles. But the story and characters definitely made up for that. And while I was wary of the outcome most of the time, I think I got a decent ending. The reveal of the narrator was done quite well, too. Didn't expect to see them.

Ending/character spoilers
Meve defeated Nilfgaard (is there even another possible outcome?) and liberated the North. Villem died when Meve took the castle back. Not really unhappy with it tbh. I didn't accept his conditions but I was unsure how I want to treat him once I have the castle back (imprison/pardon/execute?) and the game took that decision out of my hand. At least he died a hero. In the final cutscene it was said that Meve ruled with an iron hand (not fist) and the enemy soldiers that returned to Nilfgaard called her the bloodthirsty one. Not really surprised by that since I pretty much killed all Nilfgaardians and Scoia'tael I encountered. But I also forgave Gascon and Reynard for betraying me and Isbel for withholding that she is from Nilfgaard.

As for the other characters:
Reynard: forgave him his betrayal and he continued to serve as an advisor to Meve after the war (and husband/lover?), he's a bit calmer and sometimes more reasonable than Meve
Gascon: forgave him his betrayal as well and he got a title and land after the war but at one point decided to leave it all behind and disappeared
Black Rayla: told her to get lost when she killed the young dwarves/Scoia'tael in Mahakam
Isbel: she joined the Lyrian army as a combatant once she told me her story (and I forgave her), she then stayed with me as an advisor after the war
Gabor: he asked me to join my ranks after the Battle of Langbridge but I refused because I thought that he may have been the traitor (and because of the thing with the Fuchses)
Knickers: I don't know what became of him, I'd like to think he's a member of the court now

I really hope we'll get another Witcher Tales game. Maybe with less standard battles and more puzzles...

On another note, two easter eggs I have found:
Witcher 3 stuffed unicorn
WitIZHB.jpg

Zelda
hmBDJKd.jpg

Brood_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I also finished the game. I started off really positive that would concur with the hype, but by the end I could only really enjoy the narrative. Gameplay--way too easy. I admit, I'm a card game vet and even familiar with Gwent, but there seemed to be very little thought put into battles after the first couple of chapters. I had to change my deck for only two boss fights (Gernichora and aep Dahy) out of the hundred or so battles, fifty of which are the exact same, monotonous random Nifgaard spam. Decision/rewards are too binary, unlike the best of The Banner Saga/standard-bearing CRPGs. There's very little (gameplay) incentive to do anything but the most obvious, best choice, bar maybe two exceptions. Puzzles also stopped being puzzles with interesting solutions and either become a) free-for-all fuckfests of just doing stuff until one of ten/twenty solutions happened, or b) weird programming experiments that tried to make other games (Hearthstone, Bejeweled, escape-the-tower) work on the Gwent engine. All of which seems to confirm--if you played Gwent, at least--that CDPR might not be the best at balancing/designing this kind of game.

It reminds me very much of Ni no Kuni II in that regard, in that on the surface and at first impression, it's very good, but playing more it slowly becomes less than great.

Also, there's a bunch of bugs, some of which should have never made it through basic playtesting. Strays of Spalla has an effect which seeks out a row with "Fire", and it doesn't work if the row has... "Fire+". Quite a few effects simply stop working if you mulligan them away. A bunch of flags aren't correctly set in game files when you make decisions meaning they have no impact at all. And the one pretty much everyone is puzzled about: there's 4 golden chests on the final map needed for an achievement that are simply not placed at all.

Play it if you want additional Witcher lore, I guess. But it stopped being whole-hearted fun and strategic a few hours in.

Gameplay tips: pretty much every card is broken. Literally all of them. Almost every single Gold or character card is insane at various points you get them. Caldwell will carry you through Act 1. Rayla + Xavier (+ Reynard + Knickers) ends up pulling 7 cards out of your deck with only one card in hand, although maybe that's supposed to be balanced by Rayla being fairly easy to dismiss? Eyck does crazy things against monsters, every artifact is just about broken though I used the Manticore trophy for 98% of the game, Gascon+ and Isbel eventually become crazy as well. Bombers are 8 point bronzes with effectively unnerfed gold weather (i.e. 20-60 pts) and Slingers are base 20. Eventually you get access to units that just start on the battlefield (free cards and optional thinning?) and thinning options that just pull out 5 cards from your deck and give you 50-70 points worth for 2 cards in the process, so there's very little thinking involved. You'd have to purposely build a deck with the goal of having it be not absurd, and there'd only be like 5 or so options to choose from.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

It's a pc-only for now, single player story based card game, which is pretty niche concept, even if it's in the Witcher setting, and it only sells in GOG. It was never going to sell like gangbusters.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Agree on the difficulty. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and have found the game to be really easy.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
I also finished the game. I started off really positive that would concur with the hype, but by the end I could only really enjoy the narrative. Gameplay--way too easy. I admit, I'm a card game vet and even familiar with Gwent, but there seemed to be very little thought put into battles after the first couple of chapters. I had to change my deck for only two boss fights (Gernichora and aep Dahy) out of the hundred or so battles, fifty of which are the exact same, monotonous random Nifgaard spam. Decision/rewards are too binary,

A relatively small and confined map (in addition to being a card-powered isometric RPG) doesn't give the opportunity to do more complex side quests. The idea is already good to solve small conflicts quickly (having a list of quests in a menu and making instant moves on the small map would have been very annoying). Now the difficulty has always been a concern in CD Projekt games: they don't know how to adjust it correctly all along the game. But you're going to tell me it's not new with the Gwent... and you're right.

It's a pc-only for now, single player story based card game, which is pretty niche concept, even if it's in the Witcher setting, and it only sells in GOG. It was never going to sell like gangbusters.

Just hope the release on PS4/Xbox/Steam will boost the sales.
The approach is interesting, especially since they know how to create an atmosphere, unique characters with a strong personality and a captivating story. Basically, they want to make several games (for each faction), but it has to be successful.... or at least profitable.

Oct 26, 2017
Ive been skeptical about the removal of the 3rd row, how are people finding it?

That's barely noticeable. More important related to that, it's that all units can go in all rows. With that feature, having 2 or 3 rows isn't that relevant.
What we have now it's some abilities that trigger if you deploy the unit in the 'correct' row or abilities with different effects depending if you use one row or the other.

Brood_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about the current Gwent side of things, where probably the change to rows matter a lot more, but there's very few interactions involving a melee or ranged row deployment in Thronebreaker, which is disappointing.

I'm reading a lot of rave reviews on the Gwent subreddit, which is curious to me, but makes me think: was there any word about potential sequels? I could stand for another one of these with a lot of its problems sorted out, or at least a CE table that jacks up difficulty 300% or reduces effectiveness of your cards by half or something to that effect.

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
I don't know about the current Gwent side of things, where probably the change to rows matter a lot more, but there's very few interactions involving a melee or ranged row deployment in Thronebreaker, which is disappointing.

I'm reading a lot of rave reviews on the Gwent subreddit, which is curious to me, but makes me think: was there any word about potential sequels? I could stand for another one of these with a lot of its problems sorted out, or at least a CE table that jacks up difficulty 300% or reduces effectiveness of your cards by half or something to that effect.

Before there were no interactions, because you could play cards on any of the three rows. In Thronebreaker there are some, I've played quests where if you play a card on siege or melee, they have different effects.

In Gwent there are a lot. Most cards have two functions or either siege or melee.

Most people forget, they removed the Siege, Melee and Ranged lock in Closed Beta that was present in TW3 Gwent. With the two rows, at least there's some thought to where you play cards.

That want a campaign for each faction. They've implied that if they do another capmaign, it will be ST. They teased on stream that Iorveth has been super neglected (not technically true, they spent 3 years working on the plague questline for TW3 - it just didn't work out), and that they wish to make that right. Seeing as he's mentioned in a letter in TB, and they've also wanted to do Dol Blathanna since TW1 (it was a part of TW2 before the move from Aurora to REDKit, then got cut due to lack of time and resources), I'd say that's a good next bet if TB is successful.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Do you miss something big by not
Attacking that Blackclad caravan with the riches?

...cuz I didn't do it. Seemed like a classic bait and switch.

Brood_Star

Oct 27, 2017
That want a campaign for each faction. They've implied that if they do another capmaign, it will be ST. They teased on stream that Iorveth has been super neglected (not technically true, they spent 3 years working on the plague questline for TW3 - it just didn't work out), and that they wish to make that right. Seeing as he's mentioned in a letter in TB, and they've also wanted to do Dol Blathanna since TW1 (it was a part of TW2 before the move from Aurora to REDKit, then got cut due to lack of time and resources), I'd say that's a good next bet if TB is successful.
Good to know, thanks.

Here's the result of some other common decisions I've been asked:
The dragon Keltullis: killing it rewards a (meh) trophy card and Eyck will stay in your party, letting her go gives 10k gold
The ritual in Angren: sacrificing an animal will anger the druids later down the line, not doing so will cause a pestilence which Isbel may or may not be able to heal
Vilem: I only tested the accept his conditions line, which lets him join your party and has positive consequences for the rest of the chapter. Otherwise, he may be imprisoned or die, but a condition for saving BOTH Reynard and Gascon even later requires Vilem to die, so that may be how.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
God damn the game is good. Though as been said about the normal battles, I just for the first time had to change my deck for them. The end of Rivia was pretty much counter to my deck with it's passive hero power, to spawn a new unit when killed. As my deck was about destroying units and the opponent had deck of close to hundred cards or something. Usually I just pass with 4 cards left in my hand and watch the units melt the opponent plays on their turn.Still wasn't a hard battle though, as I won it on the first try with the new deck.

Really hoping we will get to see more of these games. Though some improvements I'd like to see. Obviously something has to be done with the normal battles, make them harder or have more special cards in them. Or maybe those optional win conditions could affect something or give some rewards. So there would be more reason to go after them, though those should be more common occurrence then too. Or just have less normal battles, only have them for critical moments or something. These battles were definitely the weakest part of the game, dragging it down a bit. TBF I haven't played on the hardest difficulty yet, so maybe I shouldn't complain so much before I do. I'll do my second playthrough on hardest. Though the game probably is bit harder to someone with less Gwent experience than me, or barely at all. I played a ton of Gwent in W3 and was able to break it quite fast too. Also I have around 100 hours in the multiplayer, not with these new cards and two row boards though.

The strongest part is of course the story, characters and choices. And I'd want more discussions with the companions. The companions in the mess hall usually have something to say only when new map starts. I feel there should had been much more of this, they should comment things more and I'd like to learn more about them. So better regular battles and more interactions with the companions are my two biggest wishes for the next Witcher tale.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the lenght of this. I've played about 40 hours already. Though I've investigated every nook and cranny so I wouldn't miss anything. Sometimes checking places twice when I wasn't sure if I visited it already. I did miss one golden chest from the first map because of my choices. Shouldn't do the same mistake on second playthrough.

Excellent game and very unique. I didn't know I wanted this, but now I can't have enough of it.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Make no mistake, I've been enjoying the game, but after 100%ing the second map. I just realized again that there are FOUR maps?

Woof. I'm feeling the beat a bit.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Good to know, thanks.

Here's the result of some other common decisions I've been asked:
The dragon Keltullis: killing it rewards a (meh) trophy card and Eyck will stay in your party, letting her go gives 10k gold
The ritual in Angren: sacrificing an animal will anger the druids later down the line, not doing so will cause a pestilence which Isbel may or may not be able to heal
Vilem: I only tested the accept his conditions line, which lets him join your party and has positive consequences for the rest of the chapter. Otherwise, he may be imprisoned or die, but a condition for saving BOTH Reynard and Gascon even later requires Vilem to die, so that may be how.
So it's either Vilem or Reynard + Gascon? Glad Vilem died in my playthrough then lol

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
They did a very good job on Angren's graphic composition.
It really looks like the canopy/forest is alive, everything is moving and gurgling. The effects on Mahakam were also well done, it is almost a pity that we are not staying there for long.

If I had another flaw to point out, it was economic management. We get money too easily, and when they ask you for money and/or we have to leave the money to the poor villagers, we don't really care. At one point, there was a dilemma and they were asking for 600 gold pieces... I would have given him twice as much. It would have to be 5000 gold pieces, that would have been a dilemma.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
There's an unread "!" over my Camp and I don't know why it's there. Is this a Bug? I checked all new cards.