• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Babuk re-organizes as Payload Bin, offers its first leak

At the end of April, threat actors known as Babuk indicated that they were closing up shop and switching to a different model: Babuk changes direction, we no...

The About and Rules pages are not available yet and so far there is only one leak listed under Announcements: CD Projekt. CD Projekt was attacked in February by attackers using what is believed to be the Hello Kitty ransomware. The hackers had put the stolen source code up for sale on a Russian-language forum, listing it all as:

• Full sources for the games Thronebreaker , Witcher 3 , the undeclared Witcher 3 RTX (the version of the Witcher with raytracing) and of course Cyberpunk 2077
  • Dumps of internal documents
  • CD Projekt RED offenses .

They subsequently withdrew the auction listing, claiming that they had received a satisfactory offer from outside of the forum, and that because of a condition of no further distribution, they were removing the listing from auction.

Shut off my kitchen faucet if the leak is being too leaky...

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
What does this mean?
Maybe some cool modding projects, but realistically not much. If you downloaded all the art assets, you could compile the game and make a working version of it, but at that point you'd be better off just pirating it.
As a programmer I'd love to look at it...

Edit: In theory if there are bugs in the code, some not well-intentioned hacker could release a mod that looks innocuous at first glance and then uses some exploit to do bad stuff from the game executable. But I've never heard of that happening.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If mods use this, it'll be non legal, right?

Nevertheless it'll inspire some great mods or total conversions.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I hope the workers don't get personal info leaked about them like addresses etc.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
If mods use this, it'll be non legal, right?

Nevertheless it'll inspire some great mods or total conversions.
Incorporating any code from these leaks would be a straightforward copyright violation, yeah.

If you looked at it and learned something that let you write a mod for the game, without using any code from the leak, you could probably get away with it bc I don't see CDPR making a Trade Secrets claim against a modder. But if you looked at it as an employee of a CDPR competitor and learned some Super Secret technique that CDPR had dreamed up and turned around and used it in your employer's game, you'd be exposing your employer to potential litigation if CDPR could show you used their IP gleaned from this (pretty far-fetched tbh, but in general if you're a programmer in an industry, don't look at your competitors illegally leaked code if you want to avoid any possibility of legal entanglements. Clean Room techniques exist to avoid this kind of liability).

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe some cool modding projects, but realistically not much. If you downloaded all the art assets, you could compile the game and make a working version of it, but at that point you'd be better off just pirating it.
As a programmer I'd love to look at it...
Yeah I'm sure it would have been far worse if there were multiplayer modes for the game since making cheats would probably be easier with the full source code but I imagine at worst we'll get some higher quality mods over the next few years.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Torrent is out in the wilds, being shared on /v/.

Torrent contents are password locked. There's alleged announcement saying that the password will be revealed (or dropped) on an Onion link.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For clarity, the leak hasn't happened yet just happened, but instead is the password for it is promised for tomorrow. As the article pointed out, the original auction was ceased due an alleged deal with a no redistribution clause, which appears to be out the window.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Now they can fix the AI by correcting a spelling error.

sBJifqI.gif

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Doesn't seem like anything's leaked yet, just that they're threatening to put it up shortly? Not really wanting to go to the hackers website itself to check.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Yeah I'm sure it would have been far worse if there were multiplayer modes for the game since making cheats would probably be easier with the full source code but I imagine at worst we'll get some higher quality mods over the next few years.
True, I didn't even think about that. I wonder if it has any mention of CP2077 muliyplayer mode, is that even still coming?

slothrop

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Yeah, real awesome everyone that we continue to get extortionist attacks on companies thoughout the industry 🙄 (and every other industry right now tbh). Come on, the files are not the story here.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FreeSpace 2 source code project..... Cyberpunk 2077 source code project?! (not remotely the same, I know)

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Cheering for something like this is nuts. Work of thousands of developers was stolen.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
And the only thing that gamers will take out of this is mods that "fix cyberpunk" and people doing video code reviews on YouTube summarized as "haha their code sucks how funny".

Maxxan

Jan 7, 2018
At least it seems they wont be sharing employee data and contracts with anonymous users, that would really suck

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
It's now reported that the Nintendo Switch SDK files in the torrent is different than the Nintendo Switch SDKs that was found in the Nintendo Gigaleaks.