• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Will I get in trouble here if I were to say I'd wish they'd hack CIG next so the community can get the source to Star citizen and actually make it playable because CIG sure as crap isn't getting it done after all these yrs
Not sure if you'd get in trouble, but this statement does show a very confused understanding of what a source code leak would enable, both legally and also technically with a game that relies significantly on centralized servers.

Also kinda shitty to want a company to be extorted just b/c you don't like their game.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
cant believe some people are cheering for this...
if anything this will lead to more of such attacks ultimately doing alot of damage to the industry.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
cant believe some people are cheering for this...
if anything this will lead to more of such attacks ultimately doing alot of damage to the industry.
People in threads cheering it on isn't going to lead to more hacks; rich companies with poor IT infrastructure that have something valuable will lead to more hacks. The larger these companies get, the more their stolen assets are worth.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
People in threads cheering it on isn't going to lead to more hacks; rich companies with poor IT infrastructure that have something valuable will lead to more hacks. The larger these companies get, the more their stolen assets are worth.
Not sure how you can reasonably say this when previous threads, and this one, have people in them hoping other companies are hacked just because they are either interested in the information for purely selfish reasons or some weird idea of how games actually work to think they can make it better this way.

The more you normalize a hack/a companies property being released like this the worse this becomes for everyone else. There's no way to spin that all the fervor surrounding the Nintendo leaks wasn't a net negative for the actual gaming industry. That fans got interesting material out of it doesn't negate that it's all stolen and not actually meant for anyone who partook in it.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Initial findings reported that there are some extra libraries and new SDK licenses.

6f13c7b7933bfd6472ab264c2cd1db46.gif

Interesting. Thanks!

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA

Whether or not people look down on cheering is not related to whether cheering will cause more of the thing. You can cheer for all kinds of bad things (pick your favorite) without effecting their frequency, and people would still rightly think its bad you are cheering for the bad thing! This is kind of an obvious point.

It also really does not matter how big of a company you are as to whether you will get hit. Big companies are just the main ones that make the news, because well, they are big and newsworthy. Small and medium businesses are getting hit just as hard with ransom attacks. Its just really bad! Ransomware gangs are operationalizing this to be able to just spew attacks.

If only it were so easy to just replace all of your "poor IT infrastructure" and avoid being compromised because Jerry in finance got tricked into inputting his credentials into a targeted phishing email, with an attacker who hijacked his 2FA code as he was inputting it. You can do a lot of things right and you will still get hit by a targeted attack. Someone only needs to make a mistake. Justifying attacks because the victim wasn't able to prevent it is really simple and straightforward victim blaming.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020

I didnt say anything about cheering will lead to more hacks... Thats nonsense.

What will lead to more of this stuff happening is those guys making alot of money with the stuff they stole...

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Not sure if you'd get in trouble, but this statement does show a very confused understanding of what a source code leak would enable, both legally and also technically with a game that relies significantly on centralized servers.

Also kinda shitty to want a company to be extorted just b/c you don't like their game.
Oh I like SC, I just think I can fix it to actually work (I'm a C++ software engineer, been programming for over a decade). So I understand what a source code leak entails.

It wouldn't hurt CIG profit-wise anyways. They'd still make a killing from their fans. That community is as devout as it comes
[edit] Also, if I had the source, obviously I could make a local server as well. It would be a dream come true to be able to play it single player w/o worry everything will come crashing down due to a 30k error.

Last edited:

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I thought this already happened months ago

I think what happened is that they released gwent to prove they had the things they said they had before proceeding with their auction with the remaining items.
The surprise to me is that i thought it was CDPR that won the auction... and they did not.
So the original auction winner accepted a discount with the counterpart of only having a few weeks of exclusivity on the content.
I may be wrong though, but that's how i put this all together

Seaweed

alt account
Banned
May 27, 2021
Stealing from a multibillion company doesn't morally offend me. Attempting to sell what you stole (disguising the sale as a fundraising for charity) makes you a scumbag.

Is this a joke? So you're okay with shoplifting?

This is stealing, plain and simple. Doesn't matter if it's digital. Worse, you know SDK data will be used for security breaches.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I wish these hackers would take care of my student loans instead of hacking game companies

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
You know that copying some files from a vulnerable server isn't the same as hacking the banking system, don't you? The latter only happens in movies.
I hope you don't believe this? Banks get hacked all the time. Ever heard of customer information getting stolen?
Here's a quick google result but there should be tons and tons more: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...ine-accounts-hacked-to-steal-customers-funds/

Here's a better article where the hackers got "in": https://www.bankinfosecurity.com/midwest-bank-hacked-damage-limited-a-596
(Also top page hit)

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
The person you quoted didn't say otherwise, they were talking about hacking the whole banking system.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Did they ever say what charities they were supposedly raising money for?

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
I wish these hackers would take care of my student loans instead of hacking game companies

If anything they'd threaten to raise them if you didn't pay the hackers. They're doing this to try and make money, and for the shit of it. Helping you get rid of studen loans does neither.

It also is wayyy harder. You'd probably have to delete the servers from the loan company, school, credit bureaus, and all burn/erase all sixes physical backups/cloud too.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yes. Using stolen source code in a project is blatantly illegal.

Anyone using it would be sued (quite easily) by CD Projekt if they got caught.
Incorporating any code from these leaks would be a straightforward copyright violation, yeah.

If you looked at it and learned something that let you write a mod for the game, without using any code from the leak, you could probably get away with it bc I don't see CDPR making a Trade Secrets claim against a modder. But if you looked at it as an employee of a CDPR competitor and learned some Super Secret technique that CDPR had dreamed up and turned around and used it in your employer's game, you'd be exposing your employer to potential litigation if CDPR could show you used their IP gleaned from this (pretty far-fetched tbh, but in general if you're a programmer in an industry, don't look at your competitors illegally leaked code if you want to avoid any possibility of legal entanglements. Clean Room techniques exist to avoid this kind of liability).

Thanks for the explanation!

Are there any big Witcher mods in the works that could in theory take shortcuts through this or benefit from this?

Holy shit

Pardon my ignorance, but why haven't SDKs leaked from other non, CDPR hacks? Did they just really really really not have good server security? This seems like a no brainer thing to keep very safe

This is what can happen way more easily due to covid and more lax security because suddenly everyone needs to be able to access everything from home.
It was either that or figuring it out more safely but losing a lot more time.

I don't think everyone got hacked but cdpr must have been a great target with the cyberpunk hype around the time.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any big Witcher mods in the works that could in theory take shortcuts through this or benefit from this?
No, unless they want to receive the fastest Cease and Desist in history.

(I'm talking on the top of my mind, but I think you can't use stolen things even in free mods)
(second point, most of the things they can touch with mods is already open, so not many things would be discovered in that sense)

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
No, unless they want to receive the fastest Cease and Desist in history.

(I'm talking on the top of my mind, but I think you can't use stolen things even in free mods)
(second point, most of the things they can touch with mods is already open, so not many things would be discovered in that sense)

I meant more in the way of indirectly learning from this leak without directly using or addressing said information.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I meant more in the way of indirectly learning from this leak without directly using or addressing said information.
Then it's more my second point, The Witcher 3 already gave you enormous access to the game's code with its mod tools, so not much more can be dig.

Maybe it's more impactful for CP2077, as it doesn't have official mod tools yet.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I only want someone to hack Capcom servers and see if they lost the code for Capcom vs SNK2.
Knowing they are not re-releasing it due to lost code will comfort me somehow.

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
Will I get in trouble here if I were to say I'd wish they'd hack CIG next so the community can get the source to Star citizen and actually make it playable (meaning, no more server crashes cause we can fly any ship we want in single player) because CIG sure as crap isn't getting it done after all these yrs
Requesting hacks and stealing is probably not a good idea. On the other hand, whatever CIG has in their repositories is mostly trash anyway, can't make anything useful with that.

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to the upcoming topic discussing the arrest of these low life individuals.
I'm hoping nothing related to employees is leaked.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Looking forward to the upcoming topic discussing the arrest of these low life individuals.
I'm hoping nothing related to employees is leaked.
I'm sure the original threat said they had a load of HR files.
I'm unsure as to why people are revelling in this so much , this is criminal activity.
These weren't leaked, they were stolen.
I'm also surprised this is being allows to be discussed so frankly and people are talking about how they have it.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Really curious if the PS5 SDK can give us actual info on the PS5 clock speed settings.

Jan 4, 2018
Seems that Cyberpunk 2077 leaks are now starting (Seems to be originating from this hack), saw on reddit a link to a 4chan thread, theres a 2013 build from there showing third person gameplay, an internal memey bug compilation video that was created a few months before launch and so on.
This is gold. Who at the studio decided to make that bug montage and why?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
This is gold. Who at the studio decided to make that bug montage and why?

I wouldn't be surprised if most studios have montages like this. They have to document this stuff anyways with screenshots and videos so there is references for what to fix.

Edit: That compilation also does show good bit of things they axed even just before finish line. Once upon a time NPC's were kinda able to drive vehicles in combat scenarios, but in final game it never happens. Guess they just couldn't fix that stuff in time. Also could explain why things like bus routes and trains don't exist.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I just don't get the purpose. I understand having video captures of bugs to help with fixing them, but why put it all together in a memey montage? I guess someone just had some downtime and wanted to make a funny video to share around the studio?
Exactly that. I mean they poke fun at themselves by starting the video with the "when its ready" marketing line. Gallows humour is helpful to deal with stress.

Now I want the Neko Bike back in the game.