• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Then I guess this leak occurred much earlier than now, and that someone else has already gotten the password from the Onion site before the Onion site expired. It still means that the leak is out in the wilds, but it isn't known whether it has already been leaked or not.
Yeah they mention April 1st in the post scriptum so it might've only recently circulated widely

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Im the only one that thinks they will release Witcher 3 like how it was originally before the downgrade AND the version we finally got for retail and NOT the next gen in development version?

Oct 28, 2017
I kinda wish source codes were sunset after 40-50 years or whenever they're past use. I've combed through Pokemon source code (or faked source code?) in the past just to motivate me and put the dots together. Even Doom's source code was interesting to look at if I understood 0% of it.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
How potentially damaging are console SDKs leaks? Can they be used to sign in custom stuff?

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
sooo what could potentially be done with those SDKs ? Does this give hackers more ways to exploit the systems in question and find vulnerabilities ?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
What's the implication of an SDK like that leaking? Opens hacking for the console?

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
PS5 SDK is now leaked.

PS5.7z has an SDK from Jan 31 2020, Dec 30 2020, and devkit updates as early as Jul 1 2019 and as late as Sep 23 2020

Holy shit

Pardon my ignorance, but why haven't SDKs leaked from other non, CDPR hacks? Did they just really really really not have good server security? This seems like a no brainer thing to keep very safe

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
SDK leaks are bad. This opens up hacks/exploits and potential piracy. Not good for anyone

Edit- I have been corrected on this and what I wrote wasn't actually correct

Last edited:

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
What's the implication here of an SDK leak? I can't imagine there's anything to crazy here with it, right? It's just the tools/backends for developing on the PS5?

slothrop

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I am less concerned about about the SDK leak I think. What, the APIs that games call to interact with the system leak, and maybe some documentation? SDKs are public interfaces anyway (public in the sense that, 3rd parties use them and they need to be secure)

Again the more significant issue is we have a major game developer being extorted here.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit

Pardon my ignorance, but why haven't SDKs leaked from other non, CDPR hacks? Did they just really really really not have good server security? This seems like a no brainer thing to keep very safe
One random guess would be that black hat types might want to keep the SDKs to themselves to try to develop exploits.

Another would be that the platform owners generally have an order of magnitude again more resources to go after leakers than a random developer does. Stuff like this is really pulling on the tiger's tail.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
What's the implication here of an SDK leak? I can't imagine there's anything to crazy here with it, right? It's just the tools/backends for developing on the PS5?
You can also find out whether there are new firmware exploits, and whether you're able to hack your PS5 or not. The possibilities are somewhat endless.

And this means PS5 emulators are going to avoid this CD Projekt leak.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Unless I'm completely wrong here, SDKs are useless unless there is an exploit that allows unsigned code to be run, right?

It's pretty crazy that it's out in the wild though.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
*I'm programming illiterate so forgive me* The sdk is the key to the console, right? Like it let's developers access basically everything it has to offer. If so, then holy crap are the big 3 going to be pissed.

Correct me if I'm wrong please. Better to look like a fool and learn rather than be a quiet fool who thinks he's a genius.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Expectation: oh no now PS5 will be pirated and hacked.
Reality: unofficial 4k60 bloodborne patch on PS5

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
*I'm programming illiterate so forgive me* The sdk is the key to the console, right? Like it let's developers access basically everything it has to offer. If so, then holy crap are the big 3 going to be pissed.

Correct me if I'm wrong please. Better to look like a fool and learn rather than be a quiet fool who thinks he's a genius.
A SDK are the tools you use to develop and run games on a console. Basically, the environment that allows you to interact with the hardware.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fBTdJvF.png

Image is shared around in 4chan right now. URL redacted.
This is the most 2021-ass sounding thing ever.

ShaiKhulud

Oct 27, 2017
Kazan, Russia
Console SDKs leaked earlier (100% not the first such leak for Xbox).

It will be an additional headache for infosec guys at Sony/MS/Nin, but this is hardly a grave leak that will open up all 3 platform to piracy or homebrew.

But muh boi, CP2077 is a gift that keeps on giving, I see.

Last edited:

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully all of the SDKs leak so people can crack all platforms wide open and run whatever apps.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Man these Russian hacks are really getting out of hand and dangerous for businesses. Yesterday was Ubisoft, today CDPR, tomorrow who knows?

And not to mention ransomwares against public services like Healthcare in Ireland or the oleoduct in Texas.

It's very hard for me to believe that this is just one or more organisations of guys in their basements. This kind of thing needs resources.

Oct 27, 2017
Unless they're able to decompile the SDKs the shouldn't offer/allow any functionality that any game dev wouldn't already have access to on a given system

swnny

Oct 27, 2017
Hold your horses on them SDK speculations. These kits are for software development (its in the name), doesn't mean they will sign whatever you build with them and being able to run it on retail hardware. Retail hardware patched numerous times after the leak at that. You still need modded console to boot unsinged code. And PS3 is proof, that even if the master/encryption keys leak, there are still ways to patch and block the issue.
This will definitely boost homebrew if there are some kernel exploits in the future.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
SDK leaks are bad. This opens up hacks/exploits and potential piracy. Not good for anyone
Yeah, that's not how any of it works. The SDK just allows you to write software for the platform, it goes through a signing and certification process that allows it to run on the platform. That signing process is protected by the relevant platform.

It's like saying people will be able to hack iOS because they have XCode, in reality you write an app, submit it to apple, who then certifies it and lists it on the app store.

Without knowing the underlying keys, signing process or a way around that you have no exploit.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Will I get in trouble here if I were to say I'd wish they'd hack CIG next so the community can get the source to Star citizen and actually make it playable (meaning, no more server crashes cause we can fly any ship we want in single player) because CIG sure as crap isn't getting it done after all these yrs