• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, i'm going to have to see some receipts. Their first party teams are lacking and buying 2nd party exclusives from great developers haven't been doing them any favors. They can make a good box but until they show a significant effort with more first party teams, i see no reason to be excited.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I always thought, for like the last 2 gens, that they'd go 'all in' by using their vast cash reserves to essentially choke out the competition (Sony was in financial trouble, and Nintendo was 'lost'). Sell an incredible console at $299, or something, just bleed money to 'win'.

But they didn't, and now Sony is back in the black (thanks to PS4 mainly), and Nintendo is no longer 'lost' (just the opposite, they seem "back"). Asia won't want an xbox, Europe almost because XB territory, but PS4 squashed that...short of giving away a console at a huge loss, I don't see how they become #1 in gaming.

Unless - they somehow make a windows based console-pc (winbox) that is basically compatitble with steam / other store fronts, and they take a % of the sale from those places...but thats just a crazy idea.

Its Dead Jim

Jan 11, 2018
Ceti Alpha V
What you're describing is backwards compatibility.

If the 360 was forwards compatible with the One you would be able to take halo 5 and play it on 360.
No, I'm using destiny as an example because it launched on both generations simultaneously. It makes a simple analogy. The game played on an XOne would be the superior version.

Backwards compatibility is where a game from an earlier generation is playable, code untouched, on a newer console.

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think there is a lot of over complicating of this. I think we are already seeing the fruits of next generation future proofing with dynamic resolutions and preformance modes

Fatal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What you're describing is backwards compatibility.

If the 360 was forwards compatible with the One you would be able to take halo 5 and play it on 360.
I think this is an eloquent description of forward compatibility. If a console is marketed as forward compatible, it's all or nothing. A forward compatible console must play all new games, otherwise it's just an eventual door stop like all the ones that came before it.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
No, I'm using destiny as an example because it launched on both generations simultaneously. It makes a simple analogy. The game played on an XOne would be the superior version.

Backwards compatibility is where a game from an earlier generation is playable, code untouched, on a newer console.

Destiny is a terrible analogy. It's just a cross gen game where they gave away the license to last gen owners. A few other games did the same like AC4.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's literally the same thing. But if cloud and connectivity becomes so widespread that even single player games are played when connected this stuff becomes possible on all games, not just ones that requires a huge playerbase playing online to justify the costs.

Except for a single player game it will always be cheaper and easier to do all that locally. The only reason to involve a server in the first place was to sync the changes between clients. Absent that use case there's no point. The only reason we talk about it is because MS has a business interest in getting developers to use their cloud compute platform even where it's not actually justified.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Except for a single player game it will always be cheaper and easier to do all that locally. The only reason to involve a server in the first place was to sync the changes between clients. Absent that use case there's no point. The only reason we talk about it is because MS has a business interest in getting developers to use their cloud compute platform even where it's not actually justified.
Not possible if what you are trying to do is above what's capable of the running machine.

But Ms investing in the cloud, making it so widespread might make it cost effective enough for developers to try (though I do think that SP games would have to have some sort of on going monetization to make the cost worth it).

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, I'm not familiar with IEB involvement in Surface or such partnership deals, so I'm surprised that such a large deal could be pinned on Mattrick. The 5 year deal also just got extended for another year so MS still seems on-board.

It wasn't only for Surface. The NFL deal was fairly broad, touching on Xbox, Surface, Skype, and more of Microsoft's consumer products and services, as well as being an official sponsor of the NFL. Mattrick was one of the primary figure heads for it, but I'm sure it was a big team effort across the E&D divsion.

The Entertainment and Devices Division was led by Robbie Bach, with the Interactive Entertainment Business (e.g. Mattrick's team) rolling into it. IEB led all things games, movies, TV, and music for Microsoft's consumer products. There multiple hardware development teams and a centralized services team within the overall E&D division.

If you want a trip down memory lane and want to hear Mattrick talk about the deal for Xbox: https://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/...ional-football-league-partnership-nfl-on-xbox

Ehker

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't only for Surface. The NFL deal was fairly broad, touching on Xbox, Surface, Skype, and more of Microsoft's consumer products and services, as well as being an official sponsor of the NFL. Mattrick was one of the primary figure heads for it, but I'm sure it was a big team effort across the E&D divsion.

The Entertainment and Devices Division was led by Robbie Bach, with the Interactive Entertainment Business (e.g. Mattrick's team) rolling into it. IEB led all things games, movies, TV, and music for Microsoft's consumer products. There multiple hardware development teams and a centralized services team within the overall E&D division.

If you want a trip down memory lane and want to hear Mattrick talk about the deal for Xbox: https://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/...ional-football-league-partnership-nfl-on-xbox
Thanks, that's interesting. Appreciate the info, Sydle!

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't believe that forward compatibility part b/c like i said the second you dont need the new console to play new games youre basically DOA

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I don't believe that forward compatibility part b/c like i said the second you dont need the new console to play new games youre basically DOA
On the contrary, once you reach that point you lower the price barrier so people already in your ecosystem spend just in games and services. Instead of having to buy another console (that offers no profit for the company) to be able to keep playing new games.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
On the contrary, once you reach that point you lower the price barrier so people already in your ecosystem spend just in games and services. Instead of having to buy another console (that offers no profit for the company) to be able to keep playing new games.
except you just spent a shit ton of money on R&D on the new console so you want it to get profitable asap and it sitting on shelves because ppl have no reason to upgrade unless they want a shinier version is not going to help your bottom line

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Not worth making a new thread over, but database vendor CBInsights makes the case that Microsoft 'may' spinoff the Xbox based on their earnings calls, investments, and M&A activity.

Microsoft talks less about Xbox (and Surface), and more about Azure:
Microsoft-product-mentions-ET-1024x576.png

Microsoft buys a lot of companies, but fewer consumer, and more enterprise:

Slide1-1024x576.png

https://www.cbinsights.com/research/microsoft-spinoff-xbox/

Anyway, for entertainment only.

Damn, Linkedin is a major part of their business. That's surprising.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
except you just spent a shit ton of money on R&D on the new console so you want it to get profitable asap and it sitting on shelves because ppl have no reason to upgrade unless they want a shinier version is not going to help your bottom line
At the console get profitable with game sales, if anything you'll have a larger base spending more on games and services making up more revenue.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
I do, and all the video games I would play on Xbox I can play on my PS4 and/or PC.

No reason to own an Xbox.

Lucky for you the games exclusive to X are also available on GFW, which allows you the freedom to pick your platform of choice and still enjoy a particular game or more from that ecosystem.

Pretty good deal for folks on both sides.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Lucky for you the games exclusive to X are also available on GFW, which allows you the freedom to pick your platform of choice and still enjoy a particular game or more from that ecosystem.

Pretty good deal for folks on both sides.
Even with that being the case, to be honest the MS first party exclusives are very lacking, in my opinion. I haven't felt the need to own any of them, even though I have access to a lot of the recent ones on PC.

Even if I didn't have a PC, there's nothing giving me a reason to get an Xbox because of that, and just the lack of exclusives in general. First party or otherwise.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You don't need to own an Xbox...you just need to play games. #shrug
Yep, but my statement, from the beginning was for MS to give me a reason to own an Xbox. Saying their exclusives are lacking is an understatement and something MS is clearly very aware of at this point.
Why?

If you need someone else to convince you then there's no point.

Yes, I want the company who makes the product to give me a reason to own it. That's kind of their job, giving consumers a reason to buy their product. Not sure why it's such a controversial statement.

batosaims

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
TLOU, Uncharted have a similar aesthetic. Sony has always made AAA single player games. Horizon fit right in with Sony's exclusive lineup.

MS has publicly said they are going the GaaS route. I don't expect a AAA single player game like Horizon from them. I don't know why anyone would.

When did Microsoft say they were going the GaaS route? If by service games you mean games like Fable Legends? Which Microsoft canceled?

Or do you mean by Gamepass ei subscription model? Because a subscription based model doesn't mean they're not going to invest in triple A games, obviously Forza Horizon/MotorSport/Gears 5 and Halo are all AAA games, and Playground is supposedly working on a big budget Fable with tons of devs from other games

Why would anyone expect an AAA single player game? Simple, because that's how you draw people into Gamepass, by having content that people want, it's why Netflix works so well why they pay Dave Chappelle 50 million dollars for his specials.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, but my statement, from the beginning was for MS to give me a reason to own an Xbox. Saying their exclusives are lacking is an understatement and something MS is clearly very aware of at this point.
My statement to you is about owning the box...why care about owning the box when you can play the games on PC as I'll assume you have a capable machine to play it on? Unless you want a box to play the games?

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
At the console get profitable with game sales, if anything you'll have a larger base spending more on games and services making up more revenue.
the issue is converting the install base, youre talking about bringing in new costumers but the issue is if you come out and say "you don't need the new console to play new games" youre telling everybody it's basically another 1X, a luxury to get if you really care about the best graphics & nothing else

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
the issue is converting the install base, youre talking about bringing in new costumers but the issue is if you come out and say "you don't need the new console to play new games" youre telling everybody it's basically another 1X, a luxury to get if you really care about the best graphics & nothing else
I'm saying the userbase don't need to be converted. It can be expanded.

People will upgrade in their own time because that's what we do, we always buy the next new things.

batosaims

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
They could, but they wouldn't because making a single player experience with that budget isn't something people sign up for/stay engaged with the Game Pass model.
Putting like 150 million on a game (without marketing) that people would play for 30 hours and then never touch again is the opposite model of what Game Pass was made for. They could do this with a lot of mid budget titles and stuff like Cuphead and Ori, but not Horizon, Zelda or God of War budget tier games. It's not really feasable or justifiable from a budgeting point of view when you don't get more than 10 bucks from most people that just want to play that game.
And if they are engaged with the service anyway due to one or two GaaS games, pumping that much money into one title people are done with in a few weeks makes even less sense.

How many games actually cost 150 million dollars? The most expensive game ever made was GTAV which cost 265 million and that was including marketing, licensing music, the online portion of it. Horizon Zero Dawn had a 47 million development cost which isn't very much if you have a 10-15 million (on the low end) subscriber base. Does this mean Microsoft is going to put out AAA hits every month? No, but then again Sony and Nintendo don't put out AAA games every month either so it's moot, you'd probably have a mix of AAA games and games like Ori/Cuphead/State of Decay 2 to supplement them.

With the Gamepass model, Microsoft's likeness of putting out AAA games depends on their subscriber base, obviously it'd be more difficult to put them out with 2 million subscribers vs 15 million subscribers. The entire reason why the Netflix model works is because they have a ton of original content, and the content that people watch the most ei Dave Chapelle, Marvel offset the shows and specials that people largely ignore.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm saying the userbase don't need to be converted. It can be expanded.

People will upgrade in their own time because that's what we do, we always buy the next new things.
yea of course, but initial sales are definitely crucial to helping offset those costs. if the ps4 and xb1 games were playable on the 360 and ps3 it would have only hurt and not helped. forward compatibility makes no sense when things like cross-gen ports exist. making the base for a game dependent on past gen consoles just doesnt help anybody

batosaims

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Sony is nowhere near as rich as MS, so I am interested to see how Sony responds when MS dips into its warchest

It doesn't matter much because Xbox doesn't have access to all of MS money, they have to get funding from the higher ups. Phil use to have a boss named Terry Myerson who ran the Windows and Devices Group that Xbox was under and he was notorious for not funding anything unless it benefited Windows directly.

He's gone now and Phil has been promoted and reports directly to Satya, who is now 100% behind Phil. Now more than ever Xbox has financial flexibility which is why people are eager to see how this pans out.

batosaims

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
You don't get my point, do you? How many of their hired studios/partnerships knocked it out of the park and then returned to work on a sequel? This strategy is not working for them , don't you get it?
Microsoft specifically?

Playground, Moon Studios, Undead Labs, the guys who are doing Crackdown 3 (who worked on the first game) 4 is a pretty good track record considering their game output.

If they don't invest in first party it means that they aren't in it to win it, and it means that they haven't learnt anything in recent years. They always relied on partnerships like you described and it got them nowhere; their first party output won't improve unless they invest in their own studios. The evidence is in their history of running their studios.

By 1st party do you mean studios that Microsoft owns or games published by them? Because Aaron Greenberg and Insomniac both clarified that if a game is published by Microsoft/Sony than it's considered first party

Games that their internal studios develop ei Forza, Gears, Uncharted, God of War

Games that external studios develop but MS owns the IP Too ei Bloodborne, Ori, Forza Horizon 3

Games that are external and the IP's are owned by the developer ei Sunset Overdrive

All of these are technically 1st party games.

Last edited:

batosaims

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
We've been hoping since 8 years when Kinect came out.

They always say this but I feel like they want to make some quick money and aren't interested in the long slog.

8 years ago there was massively different structure, leadership and overall direction for the company....