• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, this is amazing.

I loved her book, even through I sometimes I kinda get lazy with my stuff, hehe.

Anyone trying to get their stuff sorted out, needs to read this book, or watch this series.

Prepare with tons of garbage bags, friends.

So happy for Marie :D

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The book (the magic of tidying up or whatever) is good. Some of the advice goes way too far but it forced me to examine how much junk I was holding onto for no reason.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like the 'talk to your stuff and thank it for its service'? :p
Exactly. I actually like the idea of this but I found ideas like holding something and asking if you stand to gain something by letting go of it (like more space, less clutter, or allowing someone else to enjoy it if you've not used it enough or at all) to be much more practical. I got rid of bags and bags of stuff after reading her book. It felt extremely liberating.

maks

Oct 27, 2017
Throw your backlog and sealed games out era. You're never going to play or sell them.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This looks like a really fun show (I need to tidy up my place as well). Defiantly will watch this.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This woman feels like the Fairy Godmother/Mary Poppins to my mom's emotional baggage/hoarding.

I *hated* living at home for this.

crossslide

Oct 27, 2017
I actually really enjoyed her book even though I have no intention of ever taking any of its advice. I just liked her sense of humor, underrated.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
We just started watching this tonight and my daughter loves it. I'm imaging that my closets and bathroom are going to be reorganized by her soon.

I love seeing these people get freaked out when the purging starts.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Saw the first episode and it reminded me of this Buddhism book I once read. I already did a purge to the point where I had to sleep on the floor. The episode didn't actually teach me any new techniques or approaches. And I thought Marie was mostly just an emotional support to push the family a little. This wasn't that good.

That said, I'll keep watching the next episodes. She brings lots of positive energy to such a daunting clean up, which is nice to see.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I love Marie and her book (and organizing) but I thought the episode I watched was mediocre (the one with the gay guys). She barely featured in it (probably due to the language barrier. The show would have been significantly better if it had been set in Japan), didn't share any useful tips, didn't explain her method, and honestly, shockingly, didn't offer up anything useful to the audience. The normies had to hold down the fort but they were basic as hell and they simply could not carry the episode by themselves.

I probably won't watch any further. What a disappointment.

imb0rden

Oct 29, 2017
If anything the show pushed me to clean out my closet of clothes I haven't worn in years. For that, it gets a thumbs up. 👍🏽

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
WsyPoAR.jpg

Just started watching with my wife last night, and reorganized my dresser tonight. I love the folding system.

lunch

Oct 26, 2017
I love Marie and her book (and organizing) but I thought the episode I watched was mediocre (the one with the gay guys). She barely featured in it (probably due to the language barrier. The show would have been significantly better if it had been set in Japan), didn't share any useful tips, didn't explain her method, and honestly, shockingly, didn't offer up anything useful to the audience. The normies had to hold down the fort but they were basic as hell and they simply could not carry the episode by themselves.

I probably won't watch any further. What a disappointment.
I agree with all your points, although I think the episodes with the gay couples (5 and 8) are the best ones. The language barrier makes it impossible to have any banter, and since parts of the show are subtitled anyway, I wish it were just in Japan too.

One of the big tenets of her book is that tidying is a way to get to the life you want. That's a really difficult thing to illustrate in this show, but feels really key to me, and it made the Japanese drama that came out a bit ago more fun and satisfying.

Oct 27, 2017
Keeping things tidy and minimalism are key tenets to my being. I'll have to watch this for sure...

Edit: Oh sounds like it's not worth watching after all.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
Read and really liked the book but the series is a bit of a let down. It's not bad, it's just not as good as it could have been.

First of all, Marie Kondo is merely featured. Her presence seems to be a supporting character. There's huge parts where she is missing from the episodes. And her absence is noticeable. The episodes are carried by the respective families so the episodes vary in quality depending on who they're tidying. The episode with the Pakistani wife really came off mean-spirited. They were nagging at each other, the children were completely missing and Marie didn't even greet the house. Or just bad editing.

And speaking of editing. The episodes are too short. And they're not well-introduced. Instead of Marie talking about what lessons is needed for the coming family, it's them giving a presentation of themselves. And then an introduction to their central-conflict. 45-55 minutes episodes with more depth and more time to breath (and more Marie) would have gone a long way. And the lessons. It's not until the forth episodes they even mention lessons 2 & 3. Why not have episodes focus specifically on a lesson?

Now, it's a bit brief and devoid of much of the hands-on the book has. KonMarie is still there. Not just as good as the book. Generally I think it just lacks structure.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My wife has really got into this, and because she's pregnant her nesting has kicked in. She's going through her own tidy up process and is ironically thinking things before getting rid of them.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
She's so tiny. I feel like I could probably fit 150 of her in the garage.
And if you did, you'd be a perfect candidate for her show.

My partner was watching it and it's literally hoarders but with a nice person. Too nice almost. Easy watching though and the personal stories in each episode are quite nice.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
My wife started listening to her book randomly one night this week, then this popped up on Netflix.

We reorganized the garage tonight. Tomorrow we donate and get rid of 15 garbage bags of stuff. We didn't even feel like we were extreme in our collecting, and did a huge cleanse last year when we moved, but thinking about if things "bring you joy" has been a really great way to let go of stuff that we've just had sitting around. It feels good!

I'm also going to comb through my game collection and movie collection and get rid of stuff I've never touched, including on Steam. Choice paralysis has been a huge part of me not really engaging with games how I personally want to, and I'd like to fix that. I miss that feeling in high school of only getting one game every few months and my backlog is hundreds of titles long.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I am soooo afraid of watching this. I have 2 storage lockers full of videogame and movies collected through the years. Not willing to let that go yet lol.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
I am soooo afraid of watching this. I have 2 storage lockers full of videogame and movies collected through the years. Not willing to let that go yet lol.

One family in the show has an entertainment center just stuffed to the brim with DVD/Blu Ray cases, and they fit all of that into one fancy little leather-coated binder which, honestly, looked nice enough that I was doubting my many, many years of refusing to get rid of cases for games and movies.

It feels very wrong, but I'm considering just wiping out my huge two rows of movies and games and collating them into one that I can stylize with the cover art.

Also I just found out that Steam has a feature to hide all games that you don't play or aren't planning to, so I just reduced my list of visible titles on all fronts to about 30, and I could probably even reduce it a bit from there. I feel a ton better looking at my library now, even if I know that a few settings tweaks could bring that laundry list of titles back.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ditched my dvds. Ripped my Blu-ray to Plex, kept the discs in a small case wallet thing, and I keep the cases in the loft. I should just throw them out.

My wife is pretty good at keeping tidy but i'm not. She keeps one box of memory stuff from when the kids were little. I keep a box of SNES/Dreamcast games :p

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
One family in the show has an entertainment center just stuffed to the brim with DVD/Blu Ray cases, and they fit all of that into one fancy little leather-coated binder which, honestly, looked nice enough that I was doubting my many, many years of refusing to get rid of cases for games and movies.

It feels very wrong, but I'm considering just wiping out my huge two rows of movies and games and collating them into one that I can stylize with the cover art.

Also I just found out that Steam has a feature to hide all games that you don't play or aren't planning to, so I just reduced my list of visible titles on all fronts to about 30, and I could probably even reduce it a bit from there. I feel a ton better looking at my library now, even if I know that a few settings tweaks could bring that laundry list of titles back.
My entertainment center is quite organized. It's just I have so much stuff in my lockers in boxes and containers.
But that binder thing reminds me of the piracy days when folks didn't have their own burners. One went to shady places that have binders of PS1/Dreamcast games with printed slipcases for games and movies.
Anyhow, I'm just delaying the inevitable. I know I'll have to consolidate and get rid of my consoles and games and DVDs/Blurays for next to nothing in the future.