• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Im not a hoarder so can someone tldr the idea in her book to me? I have family members that collect too much shit, thankfully not hoarder levels but enough that it's messy. Might recommend the book to them.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Im not a hoarder so can someone tldr the idea in her book to me? I have family members that collect too much shit, thankfully not hoarder levels but enough that it's messy. Might recommend the book to them.

Most tidying methods advocate a room-by-room or little-by-little approach, which doom you to pick away at your piles of stuff forever.

The KonMari Method™ encourages tidying by category – not by location – beginning with clothes, then moving on to books, papers, komono (miscellaneous items), and, finally, sentimental items. Keep only those things that speak to the heart, and discard items that no longer spark joy. Thank them for their service – then let them go.

People around the world have been drawn to this philosophy not only due to its effectiveness, but also because it places great importance on being mindful, introspective and forward-looking.

The Six Basic Rules of Tidying:

RULE 01
Commit yourself to tidying up.

RULE 02
Imagine your ideal lifestyle.

RULE 03
Finish discarding first.

RULE 04
Tidy by category, not by location.

RULE 05
Follow the right order.

RULE 06
Ask yourself if it sparks joy.

https://konmari.com/pages/about

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the second episode tonight and I'm really impressed and how hard these people worked. That was a lot of work and they did well in throwing out 150 bags of trash.

We've already got to work in our own house and we've got rid of 3 giant trash bags so far-took them right to the donations.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
My wife and I watched the first episode and it has already changed the way we look at the things we have in our home and how we organize them. I don't own many things so i just moved clothes around, but my wife, who was already pretty organized, is now even more obsessed with being organized. HIghly recommended.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
We'll have to get on this as I'm moving into a small studio next month with all this crap I have around me that needs to be reduced.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What does she say about displaying all your toys in a way that doesn't make you look like a sloppy, immature man-child?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Reviews and the impressions here. There have been other house cleaning shows, and this doesn't seem to add much so it's another Netflix show to easily skip.

Most of the impressions in here are pretty positive and the show seems to be working seeing how many people are already tidying up their places in this thread alone.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Why is this show popular? She doesn't do or say anything that isn't common sense, and all of her "wisdom" is just meaningless cliches. It's ineffective and worst of all, boring.
Because many people live like pigs. Others can't bare the thought of getting rid of something that might one day be useful. Others are shopping addicts who fill their homes with cheap shit because shopping makes them feel happy. You're dealing with people who own 160 pairs of shoes, have a nutcracker collection, have difficulty getting rid of the belongings of a deceased loved one, or just let their pile of shit exhaust them and take over their lives. People with these issues aren't rare.

I read this book early last year and enjoyed it. The show could have used more Marie, and some of the cluttered homes grossed me out. It was still a decent watch though, I enjoyed it.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Because many people live like pigs. Others can't bare the thought of getting rid of something that might one day be useful. Others are shopping addicts who fill their homes with cheap shit because shopping makes them feel happy. You're dealing with people who own 160 pairs of shoes, have a nutcracker collection, have difficulty getting rid of the belongings of a deceased loved one, or just let their pile of shit exhaust them and take over their lives. People with these issues aren't rare.

I read this book early last year and enjoyed it. The show could have used more Marie, and some of the cluttered homes grossed me out. It was still a decent watch though, I enjoyed it.

I get that but other than the prospect of being on tv I don't know what she does or says to people that actually gets them to change. At least long-term.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Binged the first 5 episodes. Love the show, great to have a visual aid to go by if you just read the book/listened to the podcasts

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I am soooo afraid of watching this. I have 2 storage lockers full of videogame and movies collected through the years. Not willing to let that go yet lol.

I only watched episode 1 and they apparently don't get to her books rule until many episodes later, but personally I don't feel like you should be pressured to give up your physical media.

The priority seems to me things that take up more space and are harder to organize that don't even "spark joy" in you life. I could look at almost every physical game I own and it would "spark joy" for me.

So I'd say watch it.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
god this is extremely my shit

I will never get tired of seeing this tiny Japanese woman inflict these families with incredible amounts of dread as she walks up to their home to take away all their personal belongings

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I love Marie and her book (and organizing) but I thought the episode I watched was mediocre (the one with the gay guys). She barely featured in it (probably due to the language barrier. The show would have been significantly better if it had been set in Japan), didn't share any useful tips, didn't explain her method, and honestly, shockingly, didn't offer up anything useful to the audience. The normies had to hold down the fort but they were basic as hell and they simply could not carry the episode by themselves.

I probably won't watch any further. What a disappointment.
I watched 3 episodes and I think there is at most a 3 minute total of tips between all that. Feels much more like those TV shows that you watch to laugh at what people do than actually learn something.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I didnt like this show as much as Queer Eye, but I still got some great tips. Boxes for everything!!!

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Family: Wow I hope Marie Kondo the master of tidying will help us get our shit together
Marie Kondo: Hello! For the first step in tidying
Family: Yes we hope this will wor-
Marie Kondo: Take all your shit & put it in this room
Family: Wh-
Marie Kondo: Cause I'm gonna burn it all

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
god this is extremely my shit

I will never get tired of seeing this tiny Japanese woman inflict these families with incredible amounts of dread as she walks up to their home to take away all their personal belongings
Holy shit you weren't kidding! Looked her up and she's 139cm tall! Anyone below the 150 mark is alarmingly short!

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Family: Wow I hope Marie Kondo the master of tidying will help us get our shit together
Marie Kondo: Hello! For the first step in tidying
Family: Yes we hope this will wor-
Marie Kondo: Take all your shit & put it in this room
Family: Wh-
Marie Kondo: Cause I'm gonna burn it all
I'm watching the show right this minute and this is making me laugh harder than it deserves

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay almost done with 1.5 episodes of this and it is kiiiiiiinda lame

I think I'm better off reading the actual book

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Holy shit you weren't kidding! Looked her up and she's 139cm tall! Anyone below the 150 mark is alarmingly short!

And yet she's more frightening to these people than an army knocking on their door

I'm watching the show right this minute and this is making me laugh harder than it deserves

WHERE'S THE LIE

Okay almost done with 1.5 episodes of this and it is kiiiiiiinda lame

I think I'm better off reading the actual book

The show is fun/a bit more neatly wrapped together in terms of presentation

The audiobook is goddamn incredible and I've probably tossed oue 20-30% of my stuff every time I listen to it, just rapid fire

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The show is fun/a bit more neatly wrapped together in terms of presentation

The audiobook is goddamn incredible and I've probably tossed oue 20-30% of my stuff every time I listen to it, just rapid fire
Actually, I don't think I really mind the way it is presented as it is since I've seen a handful of other house/lifestyle shows -- even with the contrived overplaying of emotions at points. I think it's because given the reputation that preceded Kondo, I was kind of hoping for something more substantial from it and little more tact, so I'm disappointed on that end. I also jumped ahead too (watched half of 1, all of 4) so I'm most likely missing something I guess.

Also I have such mixed emotions about Markon the Devourer of Households Kondo herself lol. One minute, I find her overt cuteness seriously annoying -- the next minute, it is admittedly enamoring.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Actually, I don't think I really mind the way it is presented as it is since I've seen a handful of other house/lifestyle shows -- even with the somewhat contrived overplaying of emotions at points. I think it's because given the reputation that preceded Kondo, I was kind of hoping for something more substantial from it and little more tact, so I'm disappointed on that end. I also jumped ahead too (watched half of 1, all of 4) so I'm most likely missing something I guess.

Also I have such mixed emotions about Markon the Devourer of Households Kondo herself lol. One minute, I find her overt cuteness seriously annoying -- the next minute, it is admittedly enamoring.

The book would definitely be way more up your alley then tbh

While it is her book obviously, this show puts her personality a bit more front and center, guessing because that's the brand

It kinda feels like they're trying to make her some Japanese Mary Poppins or some shit where she just rolls in, DESTROYS YOUR HOUSE, AND THEN LEAVES YOU DESTITUTE

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Why is this show popular? She doesn't do or say anything that isn't common sense, and all of her "wisdom" is just meaningless cliches. It's ineffective and worst of all, boring.

I use her shirt folding method now to cram my clothes in drawers like files in a cabinet now. It's way easier to pick what I want now.

The rest is common sense.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just started watching with my wife last night, and reorganized my dresser tonight. I love the folding system.

Same thing happened when my wife watched her show as well. Off to the walk in robe to organise, I got roped in too.

hZtFCjh.jpg

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I just moved into a new house, most of my shit is still in boxes so I think I should check this out. I know I'm never going to be some organizational crazy personal but I could use a few tips for sure.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't watched the show yet, but the way the book is written is annoying the hell out of me. Maybe it's the translation, but the "voice" of the writing and the precocious stories of a kid obsessed with cleaning are cringeworthy.

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Girl from the first show was on The People's Couch on Bravo. Are "celebrities" always the ones that need to tidy up?

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
All hail the queen.

Her book is pretty life-changing. my wife and I got rid of so much shit.

I read her book after moving back in with my parents. Changed how I lived with them. She made me realize I had tons of shit I would never need and just bought because I was bored.

Anyways, love the show. She's such a positive light of a person

Oct 27, 2017
Watched 3, not sure I'll continue.

They seemed samey, the hackneyed spiritual talking to the house is cringe, and it seems like she doesnt do anything other than gather into a pile, and subdivide in boxes.

Should I continue if this is how I feel so far?

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I don't regret watching the first episode, but I probably won't continue. The "house thanking ceremony" thing is weird, too.

Ever since I move abroad I live a pretty minimalist life, to be honest, but I still manage to make a mess out of my place.