• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Lol. That's what I'm afraid of. Storage boxes, cabinets and lots of garbage bags.
Kondo's method is actually against buying tons of organizational aids. She's about using what you already have. It's why I love her approach. It's economical.

I've repurposed shoeboxes as drawer dividers for example. Yeah, don't kill your wallet at the Container Store.

I don't regret watching the first episode, but I probably won't continue. The "house thanking ceremony" thing is weird, too.

Ever since I move abroad I live a pretty minimalist life, to be honest, but I still manage to make a mess out of my place.
That's very Shinto actually. Makes sense given the author's nationality. But Shinto is not really seen as a religion as we see and categorize religions in the West.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't regret watching the first episode, but I probably won't continue. The "house thanking ceremony" thing is weird, too.

Ever since I move abroad I live a pretty minimalist life, to be honest, but I still manage to make a mess out of my place.
I questioned this also, but think about it. We all know the house can't respond, so it seems useless. I see it as a form of meditation to get you prepared for the task. I mean when's the last time anyone has ever meditated? The families on the show are all bewildered when she does this, but meditation does have positive health benefits and this helps clear the mind for the task at hand.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
That's very Shinto actually. Makes sense given the author's nationality. But Shinto is not really seen as a religion as we see and categorize religions in the West.
I'm not sure about this, I live in Japan and I watched it with a Japanese friend, who also thought it was weird :P But maybe it's normal for other people? My Japanese relatives are also not too spiritual, I think.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Seems weird to have a show starring a person who doesn't even speak English. I guess she's not that popular in Japan so she has to leverage her popularity abroad.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Things you don't like about Marie Kondo:

She makes you throw out your books
She makes you thank an item before you kill it
She makes you thank the house
She makes you get up and do things
She just stole the deed to your house that you threw out by accident and now she owns your house
She just took the kids away

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't watched the show yet, but the way the book is written is annoying the hell out of me. Maybe it's the translation, but the "voice" of the writing and the precocious stories of a kid obsessed with cleaning are cringeworthy.
I mostly enjoyed the book but yes, there was certainly a "space cadet" feeling to it where I couldn't relate to the talking to possessions, talking to the house, being obsessed with tidying and throwing out other family members' stuff, etc. I suppose I did take away a slightly different point of view of trying to appreciate my belongings more though, despite having no desire to have one sided conversations with them.

At the very least take them to GameStop, Jesus Christ that's extreme.
Despite all the garbage bags "throwing out" in the context of the book mostly means donating or selling. Of course some people hoard gross old shit that's deserving of the garbage bin.

Oct 25, 2017
My wife found her method and has slowly been converting over all the drawers and organization in our house and it has helped tremendously. The drawer organization and folding is so helpful. This is her new favorite show.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Keeping things tidy and minimalism are key tenets to my being. I'll have to watch this for sure...

Edit: Oh sounds like it's not worth watching after all.
My girlfriend watched a few episodes and now has spent 2 days organizing our closets, drawers and has all these plans to rearrange stuff that I didn't know needed organizing

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Kondo's method is actually against buying tons of organizational aids. She's about using what you already have. It's why I love her approach. It's economical.

I've repurposed shoeboxes as drawer dividers for example. Yeah, don't kill your wallet at the Container Store.

Except she's selling $90 organizational boxes on her website :x

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
I actually love this show and it's making me clean more at home lol. I was folding my clothes the Marie way lately. You really do save a bunch of space and make it easier to find things.

Also I have a crush on Marie.

I watch the show and clean at the same time... anyone else do this?

Last edited:

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
Seems weird to have a show starring a person who doesn't even speak English. I guess she's not that popular in Japan so she has to leverage her popularity abroad.

She has notoriety in the field. That's more than enough to make her star in a television show. Would you watch a show headlined by Shigeru Myamoto, Yu Suzuki, Hideo Kojima? They have notoriety in their field and all understand and speak a fair bit of English but have translators with them. Same as Marie Kondo.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
LOL. I never visited her site, but read her books, where she says don't buy extra stuff. I guess everyone has a price lol.

This show is nothing but a cash grab IMHO. That being said, I don't really care. Waiting for rich people to donate all their nice shit so I can score some sweet thrifts :p

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Except she's selling $90 organizational boxes on her website :x
LOL. I never visited her site, but read her books, where she says don't buy extra stuff. I guess everyone has a price lol.
To be fair, these boxes are not for long term storage of things out of view. They're the boxes for your drawers and such as she loves compartmentalizing things.
But yeah, they're over-priced haha.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Personally, I think the show is too long honestly. Needs more editing. I do like the visual references, though.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Checks username
Ahh, you must be an expert in Japanese culture
Netflix just shot themselves in the foot
I mostly enjoyed the book but yes, there was certainly a "space cadet" feeling to it where I couldn't relate to the talking to possessions, talking to the house, being obsessed with tidying and throwing out other family members' stuff, etc. I suppose I did take away a slightly different point of view of trying to appreciate my belongings more though, despite having no desire to have one sided conversations with them.

Despite all the garbage bags "throwing out" in the context of the book mostly means donating or selling. Of course some people hoard gross old shit that's deserving of the garbage bin.
I mostly just have an issue with the language of the book. It's just...weird.
Maybe it's the constant use of the word "tidy" and the barely-believable stories of a young cleaning-nazi kid.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
ZackieChan it definitely has a weird writing style and I'm not sure how much of that is true to the source. And yes, the tales of the cleanest person in the house being in elementary school seem a bit far fetched.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
While I like Kondo, I do disagree her on many things, including her view on books.

This tweet summarizes my thoughts lol.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
While I like Kondo, I do disagree her on many things, including her view on books.

This tweet summarizes my thoughts lol.

I keep seeing this on Twitter, but I don't think her actual practice advocates for this at all, at least not what I've gathered from the book and show. If those books all really give you joy in the moment, I'm pretty sure her advice would be to keep them. But as an example of something I came across while cleaning my garage: do I really need my collection of Steven King hardcovers that I've never opened because I got a good deal on them at a used bookstore? Nah. That doesn't really bring any added value to my life, and actually contributes more to me not reading the books I really want to read. But I did pick out some to add to my bookshelf that I had an actual plan to read in the future. I think that's what she's going for, and the memes that are spreading around Twitter really seem to be taking her view on it in bad faith because books always = good.

So I guess if that interpretation goes against her, yeah, I agree with you. But the notion of getting rid of ones you're never going to touch isn't something that I take issue with.

CopyOfACopy

Oct 27, 2017
binged thru the 1st season

huge fan of minimalism and always led a Spartan existence

love the "introducing myself to your home" and showing gratitude

Last edited:

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
The people who think she advocates throwing everything out and purely minimalist/spartan living don't seem to be watched the same program. Even in episode 3 or so, when the teen boy wanted to keep an engraved sippy cup she's just like "ok once the kitchen's sorted we'll find a place to display it." She's never mean or badgering about what people can and can't part with. In the end most of the houses still have quite a lot, in terms of books and knickknacks.

Started watching the first episode and she seems so happy and positive it makes me feel bad about myself

Don't feel bad! Take whatever you like about her and try to add more positivity into your life, if you can.
I actually am planning on doing some research on Shintoism, because I heard some of her practices and outlook stem from those beliefs.