• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

foppy79

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The last time I saw him win the masters it was with my grandmother. I still remember both of us freaking out over the chip on the 16th. I wasn't even in kindergarten yet, and here I am calling her about it from college. The back surgeries and just how sad he had gotten a couple of years back, that's what cements this as legendary.

Oct 28, 2017
So, Occam's razor here. Either people are saying things just to, I don't know, "impress?" strangers on an anonymous niche gaming forum... or they just... don't like the guy? Do you believe it is an uncommon view for people to really dislike cheaters? Or to dislike Trump?

Do you ever consider that when you call out people for being "woke", an already fairly nebulous and meaningless distinction, that what you're really doing is just calling out a set of what people see as decent values that they try to live up to and want society to move towards? Or, that they are just referencing their own personal values, that in this case happen to be fairly common ones?

I don't get it with the "woke" nonsense, it's basically just a different way to tell people to shut up and dismiss them, yet people are happy to throw it around like it isn't that, and people don't treat it that way when that's exactly what it's doing. It's in the same boat as the "outrage culture" or "purity test" dogwhistling.

"The right idea at the wrong time is the wrong idea."

While you have every right to feel how you do about the man, no being able to divorce yourself from those feelings to post about things not related to the event today does not feel productive to this thread.

We won't run out of digital ink so feel free to make another thread about the dumb shit he got into back then.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Every single time we have a golf thread when Tiger does well, the same fucking people come in to shit up the joint. Fuck off.

Congrats to Tiger, I never thought I'd see this happen. The game of Golf needs a pick me up.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
His back surgeon is a genius. That's what people worried about the most, his health.

No doubt. Tiger on Sunday was the closest we got to watching Jordan in the playoffs/finals. I guess I just miss that feeling and want it back.

PS. Lifelong Knicks fan but Jordan was something special.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Good for him. All the injuries he's had to overcome the last few years, in addition to his age, makes this rank among his most impressive victories.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The man gas spent a long time putting his life back together. Good for him. He still has time to catch Jack.

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you're killing yourself with all this concern. I'm sure Tiger's ex isn't as wound up as you are at this point. It's been more than a decade by now.

Enjoy life. I worry about the mental health of some of you here sometimes.
I'm very flattered that you are concerned about my mental health because I posted in this thread twice.
You look after yourself too, okay?

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I feel like he can be friends with whomever he wants to be without the spin you placed on it. His achievements as such a powerful and important black man in golf has shattered records, and no you or anyone can't take that away from him.
Me or anyone posting on here isn't taking anything away from anyone.

As a black man, I do know I wouldn't be caught dead playing a round of golf with Trump, though. Calling Trump what he is and what he represents isn't spinning anything either. I already acknowledged Tiger's accomplishment and achievement here including opening up the game.
Saying that he's friends with Trump is quite a reach. He played a round of golf with him. Maybe he regrets it but Tiger is one who really doesn't delve into politics in a public way. He played with Obama too (multiple times). People really need to stop playing this up and trying to shit up the thread even more than it has been. It's run it's course and then some.
Obama isn't a virulent racist, though. Which is a massive difference and consideration for me to take into account.

And again, I clearly gave props for his accomplishment and opening of the sport.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I never cared about golf until Tiger came along and changed the sport (like Serena and Venus did). Good for him to overcome all that self-inflicted issues and get the green jacket again. I hope he really does catch Jack so we can settle the GOAT for all time.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Incredibly happy for him, what a remarkable victory.

Disappointed that I have seen someone call him a "coon" in this thread though, what sort of disgusting language is that?

Oct 25, 2017
Me or anyone posting on here isn't taking anything away from anyone.

As a black man, I do know I wouldn't be caught dead playing a round of golf with Trump, though. Calling Trump what he is and what he represents isn't spinning anything either. I already acknowledged Tiger's accomplishment and achievement here including opening up the game.

Obama isn't a virulent racist, though. Which is a massive difference and consideration for me to take into account.

And again, I clearly gave props for his accomplishment and opening of the sport.
Again, how does playing one round of golf with him make them "friends"? He shouldn't have done it but that's his business and he has to know how that will reflect upon him (look at this thread FFS).

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Glad he got a win, Im sure that feels amazing for him. Here's hoping hes able to get the next few wins he needs to set that record.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I caught this live, it was really nice to watch. What a great redemption story! Between this and Virginia winning, it's been quite a week for movie-like comebacks!

OP
OP
Soliloquy of a Dogge
Oct 27, 2017
And he has Bethpage and Pebble tracks coming up for the PGA and US Open.... Tiger could miss every cut for the rest of the year and I wouldn't care because everything else is gravy.

... but don't be surprised if he picks up a 2nd major this year the way he's playing. Just truly remarkable.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It is interesting that some of you seem to think that we are so one track minded that people cant possibly hold multiple viewpoints on a single issue at once. Like me being excited about this event by itself cant also be coupled with some negative opinions of tiger and feel the need to complain that everyone isnt 100% praising tiger on an actual discussion board.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
And he has Bethpage and Pebble tracks coming up for the PGA and US Open.... Tiger could miss every cut for the rest of the year and I wouldn't care because everything else is gravy.

... but don't be surprised if he picks up a 2nd major this year the way he's playing. Just truly remarkable.
Yup, Tiger could easily get another major this year

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017

He's peaking at the right times and they're good courses for him. He could definitely won again if he stays healthy.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Again, how does playing one round of golf with him make them "friends"? He shouldn't have done it but that's his business and he has to know how that will reflect upon him (look at this thread FFS).
I mean, unless he was forced to, people generally don't play golf with people that aren't friends. Maybe it was a business meeting or something idk.

I do hope he's aware of those optics. And again, I had no problem giving props for his accomplishment today. That doesn't mean I'll also ignore other things about him.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is interesting that some of you seem to think that we are so one track minded that people cant possibly hold multiple viewpoints on a single issue at once. Like me being excited about this event by itself cant also be coupled with some negative opinions of tiger and feel the need to complain that everyone isnt 100% praising tiger on an actual discussion board.

So where were these opinions when Tiger wasn't winning a tournament last year? Are you going to consistently shit on him when he isn't winning? Or is it just when he's in the spotlight so you can co-opt the moment?

Oct 25, 2017
h_2019041446971.jpg

h_2019041447933.jpg

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So where were these opinions when Tiger wasn't winning a tournament last year? Are you going to consistently shit on him when he isn't winning? Or is it just when he's in the spotlight so you can co-opt the moment?

Uh..what exactly are you saying here. People should voice their opinions in threads that dont exist? People shat all over him in the thread of him palling around with trump when it first happened

I'm also laughing at the idea that some message board user can "co-opt" the moment of a superstar winning. Literally every news story is praising him and every story on ESPN is about his inspirational story. So you are upset you arent reading perfect harmony on a message board?

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
America loves a good redemption story. Congrats to him.

I think this is ultimately what irritates me about the whole reaction to Tiger winning - the idea that simply being good at golf again is redemption.

Tiger, by all accounts, is basically a huge jerk. Obviously this is most exemplified by the way he treated his wife and children, but that is basically the pattern for the way he treats everyone around him. His father did a real number on him.

The closest comparison in so many ways is Michael Jordan, the only difference is that Jordan was able to hide it better until his career was finished. Both are singularly great talents at their sport, but both got there by treating everyone around them like crap.

You don't have to cheer for that.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

Irrespective of that though, I think it's disgusting that people are calling Tiger a "coon" because he played golf with Trump, utterly disgraceful that that sort of racist language is being thrown around.

If it was a black cop calling a young black kid the N word in a hateful fashion that would be racist, it's no different calling Tiger a coon just because a person thinks it's justified or because they hate Trump.

It's about building each other up, not knocking each other down, that sort of language should not be used, context is irrelevant imo.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying the criticisms on his personal life immediately following a major tournament win are lame to me. These are character flaws that can be levied at any time, so when you do it's hard not to frame these things as raining on someone's parade.

Sorry I hit the post button early and expanded on it. Tiger is not impacted at all by some random internet using talking about him though. I would agree if newscasters were aggressively questioning him after the win but that is not happening at all.

I mean ultimately it seems like you want it both ways. You want this thread to be nothing but praise for tiger but then also say that this board is terrible for nuance. Which is it?

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
HOLY SHIT! Props to TIger but Im all about that guy who dropped 80K on TIger winning! That guy is a instant millionaire!!@!

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
I've never liked Tiger as a person because of how cocky and how shitty he is to his fans, but I can't deny he's the best golfer ever, well I mean 2nd to The Golden Bear.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I hit the post button early and expanded on it. Tiger is not impacted at all by some random internet using talking about him though. I would agree if newscasters were aggressively questioning him after the win but that is not happening at all.

I just feel it's that way because it's probably been done to death already over the past decade. He already (in my mind) answered for that shit. His recent comeback had more to do with overcoming his physical issues than what happened with his marriage.