• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Is resetera desperate for traffic nowadays that this racist shit only warrants a warning? Which mod read this post and decided it's not ban worthy. Disgusting
This was the response I got after reporting it.
Unfortunately, your recent report has been rejected: Post in thread 'Tiger Woods authors one of the greatest sports stories of all time. Wins 5th Green Jacket. 15th Major.' - We do not believe that the user was using this in a racist manner, given their post history that calls out racism, and their investment in issues concerning black people. The meaning of this word can change drastically depending on context. That's why have received a warning rather than a ban

I dont know. Within the context of this thread its super sketchy and the person who posted hasnt come back to clarify what exactly it is they meant.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Probably going to regret this because I like this forum and really don't want to get banned but since I actually do care about racism and find it completely unacceptable I refuse to stand by and say nothing.

I am going to share the reason that guy only got a warning (since I reported him and this was the response.)

"Unfortunately, your recent report has been rejected: Post in thread 'Tiger Woods authors one of the greatest sports stories of all time. Wins 5th Green Jacket. 15th Major.' - We do not believe that the user was using this in a racist manner, given their post history that calls out racism, and their investment in issues concerning black people. The meaning of this word can change drastically depending on context. That's why have received a warning rather than a ban"

I am sorry but context is irrelevant, like I said before, if it was a black cop calling a young black kid the N word and he tried to justify it because of "context" and because his personal convictions told him it was justified would that be ok?

No, it would be racist, just like the use of the word coon to describe Tiger is racist.

Personal opinion on an individual shouldn't give a free pass to spout words like that with hateful history behind them.

Using the N word as a friendly greeting and taking the hate out of the word and taking the power away from racists I can fully understand but the word coon is being used in a hateful manner here to describe Tiger, how is that justifiable?

It's racist imo.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Probably going to regret this because I like this forum and really don't want to get banned but since I actually do care about racism and find it completely unacceptable I refuse to stand by and say nothing.

I am going to share the reason that guy only got a warning (since I reported him and this was the response.)

"Unfortunately, your recent report has been rejected: Post in thread 'Tiger Woods authors one of the greatest sports stories of all time. Wins 5th Green Jacket. 15th Major.' - We do not believe that the user was using this in a racist manner, given their post history that calls out racism, and their investment in issues concerning black people. The meaning of this word can change drastically depending on context. That's why have received a warning rather than a ban"

I am sorry but context is irrelevant, like I said before, if it was a black cop calling a young black kid the N word and he tried to justify it because of "context" and because his personal convictions told him it was justified would that be ok?

No, it would be racist, just like the use of the word coon to describe Tiger is racist.

Personal opinion on an individual shouldn't give a free pass to spout words like that with hateful history behind them.

Using the N word as a friendly greeting and taking the hate out of the word and taking the power away from racists I can fully understand but the word coon is being used in a hateful manner here to describe Tiger, how is that justifiable?

It's racist imo.
Glad I'm not alone in my thinking. Whoever moderated that is off, IMO.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's racist imo.
Coon said by a black dude about a black dude aint racist, it has a different meaning. But for me Tiger is just a dickhead, he aint Kanye.

May 26, 2018
UwedcZq.png

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's racist imo.
Exactly. There's no context needed. It's easy for ppl to pretend to be for black people and call out racists in disguise. That poster couldn't help but show his true colours. Ridiculous

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Coon said by a black dude about a black dude aint racist, it has a different meaning. But for me Tiger is just a dickhead, he aint Kanye.

I disagree brother, sorry, using a racist term in a hateful fashion is racist, irrespective of race imo,there is no need to use that word, not trying to start an argument just giving my opinion on it.

By all means people can insult Tiger but that word has a significant history behind it and it's not even like how the N word was reclaimed for use in a positive context, this is just used in a degrading fashion towards Tiger because they disagree with his personal decisions.

Would it be ok for a black cop to call a kid from the streets the hard N word because he felt it was justified? Hell no man, I can't agree with this logic.

OP
OP
Soliloquy of a Dogge
Oct 27, 2017
Tiger, by all accounts, is basically a huge jerk. Obviously this is most exemplified by the way he treated his wife and children, but that is basically the pattern for the way he treats everyone around him. His father did a real number on him.

By all accounts, Tiger Woods isn't even close to being the same person he was even a few years ago.

Life has humbled him and it's easy to tell how that humility has shaped him. He is a completely different person. So you're out of date with the "huge jerk" claim.

Tiger in the past would've never formed the friendships he's forged with the young stars on tour these days. Or been willing to reach out for help and rely on others. Or, or, or.... fact is, Tiger suffered through self inflicted wounds and injury that tore him down and came through on the other side a better person. So many aspects which make what he accomplished today all the more legendary.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Greatest sports comeback ever from one of favorite athletes ever. Like many other people (especially minorities),I only started watching golf because of tiger. I'm so fucking happy today. Plus lefty was way back in the pack lol.

(Now gimme some of what he's taking!)

Tankard

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
"I was done at that particular time,'' Woods said earlier this week. "In order to actually come to the dinner, I had to get a nerve block just to be able to walk and come to the dinner".

Who is getting the rights to the movie?

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017

How is anyone supposed to know that the poster is black? To the random user it looks like unchecked racism.

The meaning from who is saying it isn't really relevant when it's some anonymous person on a forum.

Dec 13, 2018
Allowing that post to stand the way it is is more harmful than anything "positive" that person could have posted in another thread. Since when does having a certain stance in one thread give you a free pass in another.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Please, tell me how you really feel. My post was a dig at the forum in general and not at either poster I quoted FWIW
Sure, that's why you cut off the part of my post talking about the sports aspect of it. Riiiight. smfh.

Anyway, I'll reiterate that it's an absolutely incredible sports achievement. Easily among the greatest comeback stories of all-time considering his back injuries, how much time he missed and how bad his game got due to those issues. The chase for Jack's Majors-won record will revitalize PGA ratings as long as Tiger's playing in those Majors and is contention. He's not far off and is still plenty young enough to get there, if his back/body holds up. If he gets there, that'll be one of the greatest sports stories of my lifetime, by far.

That being said, that doesn't mean I have to personally like the guy and none of it has to do with his infidelities or whatever, that's really none of my business. It's more that he's just a rich apolitical asshole who pals around with Trump. And I don't think mentioning that is taking away from his achievement.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if everyone went around this forum calling every black person a coon though? And when called out they say "it's ok I'm black". ? I've grown up around black people my whole life and only ever heard racist shitheads use that.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
It's pretty much this. It means an uncle Tom. Context really does matter. The meaning of words can change depending on the person who is saying it.

Yup, I'm am not about to police a Black person using that word, fully allowed. It's like if I said , "stop your nonsense you're being a "f****t" to one of my fellow lgbt folks,they would 100% get my meaning and not try and call me prejudiced or some nonsense

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
No doubt. Tiger on Sunday was the closest we got to watching Jordan in the playoffs/finals. I guess I just miss that feeling and want it back.

PS. Lifelong Knicks fan but Jordan was something special.

Id liken Tiger to a Frankenstein jordan/shaq. Like, they had to literally change all the golf courses because of tiger destroying them all like how rules had to change because of shaq.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
What if everyone went around this forum calling every black person a coon though? And when called out they say "it's ok I'm black". ? I've grown up around black people my whole life and only ever heard racist shitheads use that.
I'm black, and I've heard it used in the context of an uncle tom for literally my entire life.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree brother, sorry, using a racist term in a hateful fashion is racist, irrespective of race imo,there is no need to use that word, not trying to start an argument just giving my opinion on it.

By all means people can insult Tiger but that word has a significant history behind it and it's not even like how the N word was reclaimed for use in a positive context, this is just used in a degrading fashion towards Tiger because they disagree with his personal decisions.

Would it be ok for a black cop to call a kid from the streets the hard N word because he felt it was justified? Hell no man, I can't agree with this logic.
Don't call me brother plz. I get you, but some have reclaimed coon as well. I don't use it myself.

How is anyone supposed to know that the poster is black? To the random user it looks like unchecked racism.

The meaning from who is saying it isn't really relevant when it's some anonymous person on a forum.
Look at mans posts? Mods have obviously done it and were sure he was black.

Tiger isn't a member of Era

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I'm am not about to police a Black person using that word, fully allowed. It's like if I said , "stop your nonsense you're being a "f****t" to one of my fellow lgbt folks,they would 100% get my meaning and not try and call me prejudiced or some nonsense

You just censored yourself in your post... so no.. I don't think you're going to call someone that on this forum and think you'll get a pass.. nor should you.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Don't call me brother plz. I get you, but some have reclaimed coon as well. I don't use it myself.

Yeah and neither do I, so I guess we are on the same page here.

I don't think that word being used in a hateful way (like it was against Tiger) is a reclaimation of anything though, I think it's just perpetuating the cycle of racism.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I was never a huge Tiger fan, and after all the shit that happened I liked him even less, but the man is the GOAT, and what he did was like 10 years ago let that shit go if you are still holding on to it and stop acting like you have never made a mistake in your life. Him winning a Major is massive for Golf and I hope he keeps doing it. Fucking amazing.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
We're taking a look at this situation and are temporarily locking the thread

With regard to reclaimed language

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
A lot of posters seem confused on a few points, so to explain:

The word "coon" has indeed historically been used as a derogatory slur to degrade black people. However, it has more recently gained a different meaning within the black community, where it is used to refer to black persons who willingly subjugate themselves to white supremacy. This is an example of reclaimed language and, when used by black people, is not a slur.

We have always provided some leeway for reclaimed language used by minority members on this board. The reason the contemporary usage of "coon" can be actioned at all is because it is always a negative term with the potential to inflame.

We look at context, apparent intent, and user history to make these judgments. These deliberations are always led by relevant minority staff. After further discussion we've upgraded the penalty in this case to a ban because the attack seems uncalled for, but there should be no misunderstandings about the meaning and connotations of the term in this context.

If you see a post with language you find concerning, you are encouraged to report it so that we can make an informed decision. If you have further questions you are welcome to PM a Mod Captain. In this thread however it is time to get back on topic; further derails will be moderated.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
His career could have been so much better had he not derailed it a decade ago.

Hopefully he maintains this form from now on.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Had to one up roger Federer in the "everyone thinks he's washed" but he comes back and proves them wrong.
This was way more impressive than what Fed did. Fed stayed healthy and just continued to work hard and evolve culminating in him solving Nadal at the Australian.

Tiger was playing like a bum 3-4 years ago and his resurgence last year was amazing. To come back from that to win at the Masters is just amazing from the shell he was previously.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I hope he continues this upward trajectory going forward now, it's great to see him back at his best.