• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Jack Nicklaus was on young tigers wall for a reason, I think even Tiger has said Jack is goat.

Yeah, Jack is and always will be #1. I'm not sure anyone is going to dominate the way Jack was able too. I'm a huge Tiger fan too.. but I grew up watching Jack and he was an amazing player.. and had personality that Tiger lacks.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Jack is and always will be #1. I'm not sure anyone is going to dominate the way Jack was able too. I'm a huge Tiger fan too.. but I grew up watching Jack and he was an amazing player.. and had personality that Tiger lacks.

Tiger dominated the game more than Jack ever did, despite Jack winning more majors. 2000 US open was the best golf ever played by anyone.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
This was way more impressive than what Fed did. Fed stayed healthy and just continued to work hard and evolve culminating in him solving Nadal at the Australian.

Tiger was playing like a bum 3-4 years ago and his resurgence last year was amazing. To come back from that to win at the Masters is just amazing from the shell he was previously.

Well, to be clear.. Tiger was physically in bad bad shape... there was a question whether he could even play again.. not be competitive.. but play.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Whew lads.

I remember my mom calling me into the living room in 1997 to see Tiger put on that green jacket. At the time I was like "Okay, cool...?" and then she told me it was an important moment, and I'd remember it for the rest of my life. You were right mom!

Great job, Tiger

MrPoppins

Oct 27, 2017
Silicon Valley - CA
Tiger dominated the game more than Jack ever did, despite Jack winning more majors. 2000 US open was the best golf ever played by anyone.
This is the truth. Watching him win by 15 freaking strokes in shitty weather was the most amazing domination of competition I have ever seen. So glad I got to watch that live. Even though he had it won going into the final round it was still mesmerizing because everyone else was disintegrating and Tiger was playing in his own vacuum unfazed by anything.

Wombat_Lover

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 20, 2019
This is a little off topic. In Australia, the word Coon is a cheese brand named after the american creator Edward William Coon due to him patented a method, known as the Cooning process for fast maturation of cheese via high temperature and humidity.

So for aussies saying coon, we automatically think of cheese.

EA executives on the phones as we speak acquiring the Tiger Woods license

They can't HB Studios has the rights with 2K being the Publisher releasing The Golf Club series with it's first games came out this year.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
This is a little off topic. In Australia, the word Coon is a cheese brand named after the american creator Edward William Coon due to him patented a method, known as the Cooning process for fast maturation of cheese via high temperature and humidity.

So for aussies saying coon, we automatically think of cheese.

They can't HB Studios has the rights with 2K being the Publisher releasing The Golf Club series with it's first games came out this year.

That's the PGA license. Players have to be licensed separately I believe, so EA (or anyone else) could technically create a Tiger Woods game, though Im not sure it'd be worth it.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
This is fucking incredible. What a story.

People were telling him up hang it up for the longest. Happy for him.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just remember the injuries were very likely self inflicted because he had delusions of becoming a Navy Seal so he put himself through their ridiculous training regime.

This story always makes me laugh:

Then there's the story of the lunch, which spread throughout the Naval Special Warfare community. Guys still tell it, almost a decade later. Tiger and a group of five or six went to a diner in La Posta. The waitress brought the check and the table went silent, according to two people there that day. Nobody said anything and neither did Tiger, and the other guys sort of looked at one another.

Finally one of the SEALs said, "Separate checks, please."

The waitress walked away.

"We are all baffled," says one SEAL, a veteran of numerous combat deployments. "We are sitting there with Tiger f---ing Woods, who probably makes more than all of us combined in a day. He's shooting our ammo, taking our time. He's a weird f---ing guy. That's weird s---. Something's wrong with you."

Oct 25, 2017
Jack finished 2nd 19 times in majors and was top 3 FORTY EIGHT times. Also came from behind to win 8 times. Tiger has certainly had dominating moments but for his career Jack was more dominant.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
UwedcZq.png
Dear lord please after that horrible Rory shank.

Jack finished 2nd 19 times in majors and was top 3 FORTY EIGHT times. Also came from behind to win 8 times. Tiger has certainly had dominating moments but for his career Jack was more dominant.
Counterpoint- plop tiger into the 1960s Augusta course which was 500 yards shorter and I'd think he'd dominate. Conversely, force jack to play on a course 500 yards longer, and I don't think he'd be able to compete.

rb1121

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Chicago

Counterpoint- plop tiger into the 1960s Augusta course which was 500 yards shorter and I'd think he'd dominate. Conversely, force jack to play on a course 500 yards longer, and I don't think he'd be able to compete.

Devils advocate: A lot of that has to do with increase in the quality of equipment.

Shlice

Nov 6, 2017

Plop Tiger against Arnold Palmer, Tom Watson, Gary Player, Johnny Miller, etc?

Yea No.

Tiger was stomping majors over Chris DeMarco and Ritief Gooson.

Edit. Tiger was dominating on shooter courses. Go back and watch his earlier Masters wins. He was driving it 330yds and had less than 150yds into every par 4. In a lot of cases less than 100yds.

The story now is Tiger beating this current gen where everyone is driving >300yds and stacked with muscles.

Dec 13, 2018
I have no argument for tiger against jack, but watching tiger in is prime was a hell of a show and it's hard to imagine anyone doing it better. All stats and the competition does point to jack being the goat though.

Boze Man

Oct 27, 2017
Bozeman, MT
Reading this thread, maybe it's time to revisit having a separate Politics area of Era? I did not expect a thread about this historic win to almost immediately become yet another Trump thread.

OP
OP
Soliloquy of a Dogge
Oct 27, 2017
Tiger's golf at his zenith in the early to mid 2000's was vastly superior to Jack's best golf. And I'd also argue that Tiger's personality has shaped the generation we're seeing much more than Jack's did. Tiger has brought more excitement and emotion to golf than anyone.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
I still play Tiger PGA Tour 12: The Masters on Ps3, and i don't have the DLC's. My favourite Golf game.
I have tiger woods 14 historic masters edition on ps3 with face mapping tech so my ugly mug is wrapped around the players face like a saw movie.

When I get home I'll see if I can Sim a jack vs tiger match play round to see who's really the best.

Oct 25, 2017

Sure put him in the 60's without modern day player conditioning, course maintenance, equipment, and facing better competition, etc... Put young Jack in today's game with modern benefits, etc... I'll take Jack with that switch too.

Dec 13, 2018
I have tiger woods 14 historic masters edition on ps3 with face mapping tech so my ugly mug is wrapped around the players face like a saw movie.

When I get home I'll see if I can Sim a jack vs tiger match play round to see who's really the best.

I'm surprised history channel didn't already make a show called "Who's The GOAT" where they spend 37 minutes and 23 minutes in commercials hyping a showdown in their state of the art simulator ( a 2 years out of date sports game with create a player ) to help answer who's the greatest to ever play _______. Most of the show is two fat guys arguing about what stats to put for each player in the game and settling their arguments with unrelated and unscientific tests that they act really surprised at the results for.

What crap do they even air now a days?

Last edited:

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
I'm surprised history channel didn't already make a show called "Who's The GOAT" where they spend 37 minutes and 23 minutes in commercials hyping a showdown in their state of the art simulator ( 2 years out of date copy of a sports game with a make a player ) to help answer who's the greatest to ever play _______.
I'd watch that.

Smitty2NC

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Unbelievable day. So happy to see him win a major again and for his kids to get to experience it. Big congrats to Joe LaCava for getting one with him as well. He stuck with Tiger though the dark ages, even though Tiger told him it was okay to get on another bag. That loyalty paid off big-time.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Devils advocate: A lot of that has to do with increase in the quality of equipment.
Yeah Jack was a long hitter for his time. He would just as good today IMO.

Tigers peak is the best golf has ever seen though. His 2000-2001 is untouchable. Especially the 2000 US Open. No one has ever played that well.

Jack was definitely more consistent, though some of that definitely has to do with health.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017

Tiger won against an overall better field a much higher percentage of the time he teed it off, plus his very best is clearly better than Jacks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
This is actually wild, dude was a complete washout with a gut and on some "I was great, and I'll do it again, you'll see!" type shit. This is like Lamar Odom coming back to the league and winning finals MVP.

OP
OP
Soliloquy of a Dogge
Oct 27, 2017
How many people in jacks day were capable of winning any given tourney? Nowadays almost anyone in the field can play their brains out and win any given week. It's definitely harder to win nowadays
Yep, the depth today is insane and much deeper than anything Jack ever had to deal with. Realistically, 30-40 guys can win any tournament any given week.