• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it seems TikTok has some questionable moderation and algorithm policies.

https://netzpolitik.org/2019/discrimination-tiktok-curbed-reach-for-people-with-disabilities/

Leaked documents reveal how TikTok hid videos of people with disabilities. Queer and fat users were also pushed out of view. The Chinese company says the rules were meant to protect vulnerable users.
TikTok, the fast-growing social network from China, has used unusual measures to protect supposedly vulnerable users. The platform instructed its moderators to mark videos of people with disabilities and limit their reach. Queer and fat people also ended up on a list of "special users" whose videos were regarded as a bullying risk by default and capped in their reach – regardless of the content.
People with disabilities were kept away from the big stage
For users that were considered particularly vulnerable, TikTok had even further-reaching regulations. When their videos popped up on the screens of the TikTok moderation teams in Berlin, Beijing or Barcelona – after 6,000 to 10,000 views – they were automatically tagged as "Auto R".
As a result, if these videos exceeded a certain number of views, they automatically ended up in the "not recommend" category. Such a categorization means that a video no longer appears in the algorithmically compiled For-You-Feed, which the user sees when opening the app.
Strictly speaking, such videos are not deleted – but in fact they hardly have an audience.
The guidelines also gives examples of users for whom this applies: "facial disfigurement," "autism," and "Down syndrome". Moderators were supposed to judge whether someone has these characteristics and mark the video accordingly in the review process. On average, they have about half a minute to do this, as our source at TikTok reports.
One source familiar with moderation reported that staff repeatedly pointed out the problems of this policy and asked for a more sensitive and meaningful policy.
However, their comments were dismissed by the Chinese decision-makers. The rules were mainly handed down from Beijing. This is largely in line with what the Washington Post learned from former TikTok employees in the USA.
A list of "special users"
In addition to the above rules, TikTok moderators maintained a list of "special users" who were considered especially vulnerable to bullying. These users were generally rated as a risk and their videos were automatically capped with the "Auto R" mark so that they did not exceed a certain number of views.
The list names 24 accounts, including people who post videos with hashtags such as #disability or write "Autist" in their biographies. But the list also includes users who are simply fat and self-confident. A striking number show a rainbow flag in their biographies or describe themselves as lesbian, gay or non-binary.

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
China? Discriminating against people with disabilities?

375747801260228609.png

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
If they really were trying to limit bullying (which I'm skeptical of), I sorta get their intent, but it seems like the much shittier and lazier solution when they should be banning the bullies instead of limiting the voices of those groups.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
The world traded its ethics and independence for cheap mass produced garbage

We've given an oppressive government with oppressive corporate interests unprecedented control on a global stage

We're fucked

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They were also called out for banning that teen speaking out against the treatment of Uyghurs right? Which they gave a weak ass response for

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why the US doesn't just ban Chinese services like China bans US ones.

Europe being shit at the internet has no dogs in the fight.

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
there are some really messed up trends on that thing thing too, that dancing to exes/moms voicemails one in particular is just like holy crap, tik tok is such a weird place and not for the good

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
That's terrible.
I'm sharing this to my friends who are always trying to show me TikTok crap.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember the other thread where users were calling out the fact that TikTok is essentially funded by the Chinese gov't and others were like, so what...?

yeah, this.

OP
OP
CDX

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
They were also called out for banning that teen speaking out against the treatment of Uyghurs right? Which they gave a weak ass response for
Yep. They did.

Though they did unban her like a week later after the ban and their supposed reason got reported in the news.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Between this and Snapchat and WhatsApp and all that I'm starting to feel REAL fuckin' old.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised creeps make up a large portion of their user base. This has been a problem for decades and every single platform is alarmingly slow to do anything about it.
It's so weird. My wife has been into TikTok lately, mostly for animal videos. She'll show me one, and then on the up next or whatever will be all teenage looking girls doing dances and stuff. Feels wrong.

Also I've noticed that it only surfaces young, attractive people, well off looking people. There's definitely a "TikTok Look". I don't know if that's just what's popular and gets shared a lot so it surfaces itself to the top or of it's by design.

The article in the OP is making me think it's by design.

Oct 30, 2017
Does Tik Tok even really offer anything that other platforms don't? I just see Tik Tok videos uploaded to IG/FB/Twitter anyway.