• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The highly influential Chinese owned (of course) new social media service has banned LGBT content in countries where homosexuality isn't even illegal.

And an entire section of the rules was devoted to censoring depictions of homosexuality. "Intimate activities (holding hands, touching, kissing) between homosexual lovers" were censored, as were "reports of homosexual groups, including news, characters, music, tv show, pictures". Similarly blocked was content about "protecting rights of homosexuals (parade, slogan, etc.)" and "promotion of homosexuality". In all those guidelines, TikTok went substantially further than required by law.

The country-specific guidelines took on a new relevance following the Guardian's initial reporting on TikTok's censorship, in which ByteDance said that the guidelines had been retired in May in favour of "localised approaches, including local moderators, local content and moderation policies, local refinement of global policies".

The Turkey and Strict versions of the moderation guidelines suggest those localised approaches may not be less censorious than the previous centralised approach.

In a statement, TikTok said it was "a platform for creativity, and committed to equality and diversity".

"Our platform has experienced rapid growth in Turkey and other markets, and as we grow we are constantly learning and refining our approach to moderation. The referenced guidelines regarding LGBTQ content in Turkey are no longer in use, and we have since made significant progress in establishing a more robust localised approach. However, we recognise the need to do more and we are actively working with local third parties and independent advisers to ensure our processes are appropriate."

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...al-moderation-guidelines-ban-pro-lgbt-content

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Tiktok finally showing its true face after growing for the past three years. Disgusting.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
must be nice being straight and never hearing in the news that you're being directly targeted by companies or governments.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was about to download TikTok to see what the point was

Glad this post saved me 30 minutes and my dignity

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to become more and more a thing isn't it? ugh.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is going to become more and more a thing isn't it? ugh.

We're getting more and more examples of China's invasive and strategic use of capitalism bitting countries in the ass. The government of China knows exactly what they're doing; not that it is exclusively China but the combination of a disdain for human rights and their aptitude for this is concerning to say the least

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
Now, now OP, don't be a nasty Sinophobe
Sarcasm aside, this is why the democratic liberal consensus is the best model available. Even if China became a democracy tomorrow it would still have to deal with 2,000 years of Confucian poison running through the country's veins.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Somewhat an aside, but the rise of TikTok in the US itself was always...strange to me.

Granted, I'm definitely aged out of the core demographic. But as someone who frequently uses social media and with two younger sisters who are part of the core demo, I hadn't heard of TikTok until about 3 years ago when it was suddenly everywhere. There seemed to be a year long period when I couldn't get away from its ads. Then I downloaded it in its early stages and...I really couldn't figure out who it was for. It seemed like a clumsier, more complicated Vine.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just so we're clear no one will ever solve the moderation issue. You either moderate too much, too little or you're just plain inconsistent because everything is case-by-case (which doesn't scale to million of users and hundreds of moderators). All social media platforms have this problem.
Yeah can't risk moderating LGBT content too little, nothing can be done.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Just so we're clear no one will ever solve the moderation issue. You either moderate too much, too little or you're just plain inconsistent because everything is case-by-case (which doesn't scale to million of users and hundreds of moderators). All social media platforms have this problem.
What if we don't censor the gays enough? That would be just dreadful for reasons! Reasons I'm sure Somnid can elaborate on for me.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Tiktok seemed to pop up when music.ly was falling off, figured it was a rebranding.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i figure something changed in China when this youtube channel ( Chinesed based - Rela -- lesbian social app) i subbed to seemingly dried up in content 8 months ago

some might know it from this video from a few years ago

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Somewhat an aside, but the rise of TikTok in the US itself was always...strange to me.

Granted, I'm definitely aged out of the core demographic. But as someone who frequently uses social media and with two younger sisters who are part of the core demo, I hadn't heard of TikTok until about 3 years ago when it was suddenly everywhere. There seemed to be a year long period when I couldn't get away from its ads. Then I downloaded it in its early stages and...I really couldn't figure out who it was for. It seemed like a clumsier, more complicated Vine.
Yeah TikTok is my first real old guy moment.

I'm in my 30's, work in digital, but it seems complicated as fuck to me.

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
rela is still here (it's also a bit TERFy which is sad but that's another story), but yeah there are some level of tightening control of lgbt+ content.

i figure something changed in China when this youtube channel ( Chinesed based - Rela -- lesbian social app) i subbed to seemingly dried up in content 8 months ago

some might know it from this video from a few years ago

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
Now, now OP, don't be a nasty Sinophobe
Sarcasm aside, this is why the democratic liberal consensus is the best model available. Even if China became a democracy tomorrow it would still have to deal with 2,000 years of Confucian poison running through the country's veins.
confucianism has very little to say about homosexuality. there's lots of gross shit around gender dynamics around confucianism and neo-confuciansm but please don't spout dumb shit like this

china fwiw was actually fairly tolerant of homosexuality up until the jesuits came in and fucked stuff up. so uhhhh, maybe consider that before you pin every regressive idea that exists in china on china's historical culture

so guess i should say, don't be a nasty sinophobe!