• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I was talking to my grandma who has been taking care of my great-grandma (Her name is Francis) since she broke her ankle a couple months ago. She has been in a senior rehab center in Oklahoma while she waits for the Doctor to say that it okay to remove the boot that shes had on her foot. And I call every few days to say hello and make sure they are taking good care of her and today my grandma let slip that my Great-grandma has had a new person that takes care of her on a daily basis for the past week or two. His name is "Hubert" and he is a really nice guy according to everyone I have talked to, but grandma Francis didn't like him at first. She didn't want a male nurse to take care of her which I thought was understandable, but then my grandma let slip that Hubert was an african american and grandma Francis didn't want a "black nurse" so she wasn't happy with the change.

Which absolutely floored me. I have known Grandma Francis for as long as I remember. I have NEVER heard anything remotely racist or even hateful come out of her mouth. She has been a devout christian her whole life. Volunteering whenever she could, donating whenever she could, helping anyone and everyone whenever she could. One of her closest friends at church when I was young was an african american woman that I called "Dottie". They were friends for DECADES until sadly Dottie passed away about 8 years ago. So to hear my grandma act that way just blew me away. And to be 100% clear my grandma is not in the best of mental health sometimes. She is there most days, but some days she just....isn't. Not entirely anyway. So maybe that could be the reason? Or at least part of it?

So I started asking alot more questions obviously, but apparently it was all for nothing because now here we are 2 weeks later and my grandma loves Hubert by all accounts. He calls her grandma and she calls him Huey. My grandma won't let anyone else take care of her during the day. She insists on waiting for Hubert to be able to help her get around and help her with all the things she needs.

But still this is someone I have known my whole life and to find out that she might of had that kind of prejudice inside her the whole time is kind of messing with my head. I am not sure how to handle it. I mean she is 97yrs old. She barely remembers who I am on her best days and just knows that I am a "nice young man" on her bad days. So I know I obviously can't say anything to her about it, but do I say something to the rest of my family about it? Or am I just supposed to pretend it never happened and attribute the behavior to old age? I am not sure what to do here to be honest.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your grandma is 97 and is very likely going to die soon. You said youself that she's happy with that same person helping her now, so let it go. Just enjoy what little time you have left with her.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
She was born in 1921. I can't wait when I'm 97 and my grand kids and great grandkids laude the shit I found progressive and understanding.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Ignore it, she's 97 and it sounds like she suffers from dementia, that can change a person's personality, nice people can turn really nasty or the other way around. A single racist comment is nothing in the big picture, not at that age with mental deficiencies.

HarshSalad

Alt-account
Nov 26, 2018
Understand you were born in to this family. You had no choice in the matter. So you owe them nothing.

People need to stop coddling outright racists, using family bonds as an excuse.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, you're really thinking this through huh.

My parents (or at least my mum) are definitely racist - that's obvious from what she says and acts. Does it bother me? Yes. Does it embarrass me? Yes. But I'm not going to do anything about it. She's my mum and I love her. Even with her faults. Older generations are very different from us. That's no excuse - but they had different experiences from us, and very different views. Christ if they had a baby out of marriage they usually gave them up from the 'shame' factor. It's a very different world we live in now - much for the better.

So I tend to just ignore my mum. I've challenged her in the past but it got nowhere. So I just accept it and ignore her bigotry. Life isn't worth any aggro mate - and no point worrying over something you can't influence if the person is so ingrained in their views. Just my view.

It's amazing your great grandma is still alive mate. I'd love to have interacted with my grandparents (all died when I was a teenager). Just enjoy the time you have left with them. You may not agree with their views - but that's what make us all human.

Just my take on it.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
giphy.gif

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
What difference would it make If you spoke to her or your family about it? I'm going to guess none at all, she's 97 she won't be around forever just forget about it.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
97 and not racist in some way? I would be shocked

Edit: Oh, and dementia too. Old memories and prejudices can come back

Dec 12, 2017
There's prolly worse examples than this littered through her life, seeing as how she is 97.

I wouldn't go venturing too much further down this rabbit hole unless you are ok discovering new information that might make you uncomfortable.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
She was born 100 years ago. Imagine how racist her grandmother was in the 1860s or w/e. I don't mean that as an insult because that's just the way things were back then.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Leave it be, it's not born from malice just 'ignorance' times have changed, got better but it's not easy for people to be brought up with certain norms to have things change.

My grandma is similar, my sister came out 10 years or so ago and whilst she's accepting of it she's never been really comfortable with it and doesn't fully understand it. She recently asked me if my niece would be brought up gay as she has 2 mums.

She has some outdated views about things and I don't always agree but think it's best to leave it be, my sister is more outspoken with a need to try and educate and it ended up in a debate recently about some #metoo stuff and my grandma ended up upset at the end of it.

My grandad was my hero and a genuinely great man but I'm sure he would have held some views that are very outdated now

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Understand you were born in to this family. You had no choice in the matter. So you owe them nothing.

People need to stop coddling outright racists, using family bonds as an excuse.

Ironic coming from a person with a RBG avatar, a Justice who spent the last 20+ years being best friends with Scalia.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I am mainly just perturbed by her initial reaction. This is someone who I thought I knew inside and out. And to hear that it just threw me for a loop.

Of course this may not apply to your great-grandma, but many people who are 90+ may not always mean everything they say. You said she barely remembers who you are sometimes and isn't at perfect mental health. She could have just heard a racist reply on TV or heard a racist comment and gotten affected by it. She may not have meant it at all. Sometimes old people just say random things that they don't even believe in.

If she's never said anything racist before, I'd say this is one of those situations.

Karasseram

Jan 15, 2018
You clearly need to break all bonds with your family and friends cause you never know who the racist is. /s

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Uhhh... she's 97... what did you think she thought?

To be perfectly honest it never EVER even crossed my mind. I mean I guess logically speaking it SHOULD Have, but it just never did. She is my grandma. She made me my cereal and my waffles whenever I came to visit. I never thought of her that way.

She has just always been "grandma". And now I feel like a fool for making this thread. It obviously something I should have seen as a possibility given her age and the fact that she was born in the relative south.

Hassel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you think you need to do something about it? She is 97...

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
time to pull a Bad Lt 2 but never stop crimpin'

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ironic coming from a person with a RBG avatar, a Justice who spent the last 20+ years being best friends with Scalia.
ay what was she supposed to do, smother him in his sleep? her brittle ass bones would shatter and it looks like he was pretty shitty at breathing anyway cmon

Status
Not open for further replies.