• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
mmx5-tidalwhale.png

He does not have four big green eyes.

He has two little normal eyes right above the beginning of his jaw!!!

WTF!!!

Any other characters whose designs you totally misread? I know there's a thread for 16-bit era sprites but this guy is from far past that.

Edit: Woops, the I in the title was not supposed to be lowercase

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to mention yet again, how awesome a name Duff McWhalen was. I don't really care for the rest of the GnR inspired names compared to the original Japanese ones, but this one never fails to crack me up.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I used to think Tidus's design from FFX was pretty great, had a good sporty vibe, a bit of armor, good stuff.

latest

But then I realized his hoodie was a crop-top, and I couldn't take it anymore, it ruined it for me. It's so unnecessary, it sucks so much.

Thankfully, Dissidia went back to Amano for a small redesign that buffed his outfit in small but key ways, and I think it looks fantastic in comparison.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not a video game, but the Magic the Gathering card Kraken hatchling has a sharp-toothed mouth that I originally thought was a big cute eye.

121.jpg

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
OP, I have never played the game but I totally just made the same assumption. Didn't notice the little eye til you pointed it out.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Insert Aganhim here.

even though it's ABSURD that anyone saw him that way.
His head in the sprite is three feet long. His forehead makes up 60% of his head mass. It's absurd. It's enough to make Vegeta's forehead blush. The "green hair, open mouth" look is the result of our human brains trying to make sense of insanity.

On Tidal Whale, no, I never saw it as "four eyes" for a few reasons. One, whales don't have forward facing eyes let alone four. Two, with the exception of BrightMan.EXE I can't think of any Mega Man character that has lightbulbs for eyes, especially these types of lightbulbs that have been generic design flair for the series since its infancy. And three, on the boss splash screen, there's a big zoom in of his face focusing on his eye that takes up 50% of the screen. More if you count the right side and how more pronounced it is in the sprite itself. God, what a terrible design. Even for joke bosses. And he's supposed to run a museum!

Whatever you do, don't look up the artwork of Magna Centipede or Neon Tiger. He has eyeballs on his fingers! =P

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
mmx5-tidalwhale.png

He does not have four big green eyes.

He has two little normal eyes right above the beginning of his jaw!!!

WTF!!!

Any other characters whose designs you totally misread? I know there's a thread for 16-bit era sprites but this guy is from far past that.

Edit: Woops, the I in the title was not supposed to be lowercase
I'm trying to work out his field of vision from this. So he must have a huge blind spot in the front.

1131.jpg

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The Agahnim confusion at least makes some sense if you're more familiar with Pokey. I just love that he either looks incredibly goofy or incredibly menacing depending on where your brain is at.

I still think one of my favorite moments on the internet was when everyone discovered Litwick had a honkin' nose rather than a cute smile

litwick.jpg

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
347.png

Anorith was one of my favorite pokémon until I saw it blinking on pokemon colosseum.
I mean, what do you mean his eyes are not the cool, red marks on its face? :(

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
Blame it on my youth, blame it on the fact it's on screen for 3 seconds or the fact it actually has an eye IN HER BOOB, but I used to think this was Jenova's head, not that her head was actually missing in Final Fantasy VII
eb6.jpg

I guess I saw it something like. one of the martian heads from Mars Attacks?
marshed.jpg

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Blame it on my youth, blame it on the fact it's on screen for 3 seconds or the fact it actually has an eye IN HER BOOB, but I used to think this was Jenova's head, not that her head was actually missing in Final Fantasy VII
eb6.jpg

In the spirit of this thread, I was trying to figure out what that tube thing in the lower center was. Turns out it's some sort of umbilical cord / tentacle thing, ew.

latest

latest

Then again Jenova is basically John Carpenter's The Thing, so...

Feb 15, 2018
Just here to thank you for making me aware of a character called "Duff McWhalen". I was aware of the GNR inspired Mega Man names, but as a massive GNR fan, this is the first time i have actually seen one of the said characters.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're talking about Litwick's top lip?

688.jpg

That ain't a nose.
If you look at the right one in the last pic you posted it's clearly a nose. the mouth is directly under the nose. I have seen cartoon characters drawn this way before. If it was a lip it wouldn't protrude so much or be that bulbous when looking at it from the side.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
The Agahnim confusion at least makes some sense if you're more familiar with Pokey. I just love that he either looks incredibly goofy or incredibly menacing depending on where your brain is at.

I still think one of my favorite moments on the internet was when everyone discovered Litwick had a honkin' nose rather than a cute smile

litwick.jpg
This makes it go from cute to creepy in a heartbeat.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
eb6.jpg
I had no earthly idea how to parse this image when I was a kid, especially because you don't really get a chance to just look at it for a while. It wasn't until I returned to the game as a near-adult that I actually realized what it was.

Man, Jenova's gonna be creepy as fuck in the remake and I'm gonna love it.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
His head in the sprite is three feet long. His forehead makes up 60% of his head mass. It's absurd. It's enough to make Vegeta's forehead blush. The "green hair, open mouth" look is the result of our human brains trying to make sense of insanity.
Joke post? he has no visible forehead and it's from a 3/4 overhead perspective.

Link's head is the size of the rest of his body combined, and you're over here trying to explain how the urkel ass agahnim with legs the size of a mountain is somehow more sensible.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
OP, we've been brothers in MMX fandom for quite a while now.....but I'm so angry at you for ruining that character design for me lol. I can't believe I never noticed those little eyes at the sides, the green orbs are so huge in comparison.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
OP, we've been brothers in MMX fandom for quite a while now.....but I'm so angry at you for ruining that character design for me lol. I can't believe I never noticed those little eyes at the sides, the green orbs are so huge in comparison.
I've played the first five X games almost religiously since they came out and I just now noticed it myself. The image on the the website I was visiting was so honking huge it made it impossible to miss. It was a huge revelation to me too lol.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Depending on the generation, I would get confused on whether zubat had eyes or ears on the top of its head

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
For a long time, I never looked that closely at the HAL Labs logo, and thought it was some type of three-eyed creature. Oh no, not even close. LOL