• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
How exactly can the banks control what I can and can't buy or who can spend money? If they were to do that, the banks would just block any transfers from account to account, regardless of the existence of this payment app.

Besides being illegal in my country, and probably all countries with a functioning banking system, any bank that tried blocking transfers would immediately suffer a banking run after the word got out that it was happening.

Also, my credit card company already knows everyone I buy stuff from. All this app sees is money going from one account to another, they can't know exactly what you bought. In the end, this is just a simplified form of money transfer.

You seem to have a very dystopian view of something that's already common in a lot of countries and has caused near-zero problems. I honestly hate having to carry cash and rarely use it these days.

Credit card companies already sell your data, with cash not being an option, you now have no way to opt out of data collection.

If you use the app with a store they can tell where you shopped. If you use it to send money they can tell who your friends are. It's not hard to see how this could be used to harvest data for ads or just to sell.

Does the law affecting the banks affect payment apps? If not, then it's has huge potential for abuse.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I learned from GAF and ERA a large number of the US still use cheques to pay for their rent. I'm 30 and I've never used a cheque in my life.
That's news to me.

The only time I've ever had to pay with a check was because my apartment complex's payment portal wasn't working that month, so nobody do do it electronically.

And the only person I know that does pay their rent with a check does it because the house they live in is owned by a couple that lives down the street, rather than a management company.

Lyriell

Oct 27, 2017
I love it when Americans want to remind Europeans how big and sparse their country is..

Here you go, my American friends.

enhanced-buzz-5171-1388899762-22.jpg

Though to be fair, most of our population is centered in 3 places on the right hand side and one on the left.

Darknight34

Banned
Apr 29, 2018
I love it when Americans want to remind Europeans how big and sparse their country is..

Though to be fair, most of our population is centered in 3 places on the right hand side and one on the left.
It is a valid point, and population as well. Australia is insanely sparse though.

Lcs

Aug 9, 2018
Does the law affecting the banks affect payment apps? If not, then it's has huge potential for abuse.

Loosely translating the applicable regulations regarding payment arrangements and institutions in my country:

"Article 3 - The regulation and supervision of payment arrangements and institutions by "My country's Central Bank" has the following objectives:

I - Blablablabla
IV - Non discriminatory access to services and infrastructure necessary to the functioning of payment arrangements;
V - Catering to the needs of final users, specially freedom of choice, safety, protection of economic interests, non discriminatory treatment, privacy and protection of personal data, transparency and access to full and clear informations about the conditions of the service provided.
..."

The definition of final user is in another article and covers everyone using the services to receive or send funds.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
OP says there aren't any (I know he found out there are) and I'm over here thinking there are way too freaking many.

I have friends that use different apps....so I have PayPal, Cash, Venmo, etc...etc. I have like 5 or 6 apps that let me instantly send money to people.

I'd like just ONE that everyone has. I usually just use Venmo if the person needs to do an instant transfer to their bank. I'm sure there are 20349343 options, but I know Venmo will do it for .25 cents and they can then use the cash/card to their bank.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017

Looks like they didn't account for projection so this might not be super accurate. Here is a different version. Note that the land area of the contiguous US is 7,663,941.7 km^2 (wiki) while the land area of Australia is 7,682,300 km^2 (CIA World Factbook), so pretty dang close.

Australia-compared-USA.jpg

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't help that America seems to have 1000's of different banks and credit unions.. every time I see a news article on new banks supporting Apple Pay I'm shocked at just how many banks and credit unions there are.

I mean seriously, look at this list and that's only the ones supporting Apple Pay, there's likely 1000's more than don't support Apple Pay

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204916#brazil

Compared to this list

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT206637#Europe