• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
kotaku.com

Halo Infinite Creative Director Leaves Company

Tim Longo, creative director for the upcoming Halo Infinite, left developer 343 Industries this week, Kotaku has learned. It’s part of a leadership shakeup that arrives late in the development of the next Halo game, which is scheduled for release in fall 2020.

When reached by Kotaku, Microsoft confirmed Longo's departure and sent over the following statement:
Roles and responsibilities of various team members regularly evolve to meet the needs of a game, throughout development. We have recently had two changes to the Halo Infinite development team. Our Executive Producer, Mary Olson will now take charge of the Campaign team on Halo Infinite as the Lead Producer, utilizing her many years of experience at 343 to help craft a great campaign for fans.
Additionally, Tim Longo has recently departed our team and we are truly thankful for his many contributions to our games, our studio and the Halo universe. We wish Tim nothing but the best in his future endeavors.
The overall creative vision and production of the game remains led by Chris Lee, Studio Head of Halo Infinite.
We have a word-class team building Halo Infinite and the overwhelming positive response by fans has us energized, more than ever, to create the best Halo game to date, alongside Project Scarlett in holiday 2020. These changes have no impact to the release date for Halo Infinite.

Oct 27, 2017
This is Microsoft's most important game in a long time and they need to nail it. Hope this isn't indicative of wider issues it's facing with development.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is Microsoft's most important game in a long time and they need to nail it. Hope this isn't indicative of wider issues it's facing with development.
It's not a safe assumption that it's a sign of issues. Turnover happens every single week at large companies. Admittedly it's less common with Directors, but even so the change could be for any number of reasons.

While it's neat to appreciate the individuals working on games, I wouldn't be able to draw anything meaningful from this information.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh im more scared about the fact that halo infinite has the drag along the original xbox one with it to the finish line.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
It's not a safe assumption that it's a sign of issues. Turnover happens every single week at large companies. Admittedly it's less common with Directors, but even so the change could be for any number of reasons.

While it's neat to appreciate the individuals working on games, I wouldn't be able to draw anything meaningful from this information.

The Creative Director first getting assigned a new role and then leaving the company a few weeks later, with one of the executive producers assuming a bigger role in the development is absolutely a sign that things are not going as planned. This could be negligible or even beneficial in the long run, but the Director of a game he already worked on for close to four years doesn't just lose his position and then leave the company if development goes smoothly.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this is for the best.

Would we have known any specifics in terms of his duties and role? From the outside, "Creative Director" doesn't mean much to me.

Oct 26, 2017
The Creative Director first getting assigned a new role and then leaving the company a few weeks later, with one of the executive producers assuming a bigger role in the development is absolutely a sign that things are not going as planned. This could be negligible or even beneficial in the long run, but the Director of a game he already worked on for close to four years doesn't just lose his position and then leave the company if development goes smoothly.

There could be personal reasons. We don't know. Any assumptions at this point are leaps of logic.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
That's the strangest part of it all to me.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
There could be personal reasons. We don't know. Any assumptions at this point are leaps of logic.

Actually, you're right. I don't see many situations where a Director would choose to first get moved to another position and then choose to leave a few weeks later (it seems a lot more likely that the first was something he was asked to do, with the second being a consequence of that) but it's absolutely a possibility I didn't think about, yeah.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to jump to conclusions, but I'll join the chorus of people saying they hope it's not a bad sign for the game at all. Hang in there everybody! I'm rootin' for ya! Really, really excited for this game.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow creative director replaced a year out? Not inspiring... I know people point to Uncharted 4 but I think that game is a mess and suffered greatly because of the shakeup.

Status
Not open for further replies.