• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
The fragility of the people who constantly state that SJWs are snowflakes is something that can't be understated. As well as the lack of self awareness/critical thinking skills. The biggest thing is their inability to do anything resembling introspection. You know what's funny is the attempt at self awareness by them, they're self proclaimed shitlords. When that really just means that they're an awkward loser in real life and have no identity and compensate for that online by doing everything in their power to be a piece of shit "for the lols." Like these motherfuckers are so bland and boring at the end of the day. All the same breed of awkward loser turned toxic piece of shit who spend day in and out constantly offended at the notion that actions have consequences and that other people can feel empathy. 🙄

Man, well said. Of course I can believe these people are out there. Kind of hard not to when they're literally ruining the fucking world and, you know, killing people. But whenever I get a peek into what passes as their thought processes--when I just get hit by an unfiltered, high-octane dose of stupid, hateful bullshit--I just don't know some times. It just burns me up. Literally, I feel my face warm up like the onset of second-hand embarrassment, except it's coupled with an overwhelming desire to slap the shit out of these people.

Fuck white supremacists.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Man, well said. Of course I can believe these people are out there. Kind of hard not to when they're literally ruining the fucking world and, you know, killing people. But whenever I get a peek into what passes as their thought processes--when I just get hit by an unfiltered, high-octane dose of stupid, hateful bullshit--I just don't know some times. It just burns me up. Literally, I feel my face warm up like the onset of second-hand embarrassment, except it's coupled with an overwhelming desire to slap the shit out of these people.

Fuck white supremacists.
Amen

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry, reality has already managed to out-ridicule you.

I like his music, but there's an Alice Cooper quote that's basically this satire for real. He was like "I didn't wanna hear about all that politics growing up, so I just put my headphones on and blasted the Stones or The Who."

Like, really?

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TheQuartering's real, and one of the biggest pieces of shit around. Dude's a massive chud who decided to get on the right-wing gamer outrage grift last year, but he got his start in Magic, where he's been banned by Wizards of the Coast from all Magic the Gathering events for harassing a cosplayer.

That said, nice to see Sky Williams - someone who too often tries to play the enlightened centrist card IMO - going off in his replies, pointing out that the only people would get mad at Tim's statement are people who feel that he's targeting them with it.

tolarian is such a good guy

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Fuck white supremacists.

The reactions to this little tidbid prove Schafer right in the first place. The really important bit he said is the safe space one. Gaming shouldn't be a safe space for racist queerhating sexists. And it's kinda awful that, right now, they think it IS their safe place.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017

Reminds me of the people crying "stop bringing politics to Persona 5" because people were pointing out the homophobic elements.

Because, like, politics should not be part of the game where the main Villian is a corrupt billionaire demagogue politician who is killing his political opposition in an attempt to grab power and promising to "make Japan great again", right?

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
It's because they only use a vaguely broad 'politics' as an umbrella because they don't want to make it too obvious what they specifically mean is that they're racists/bigots.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017

I was once posed a difficult challenge on Twitter dot com:

nW9pEf9.png

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
You know. I've been thinking of checking out Brutal Legend since it went BC.

Guess I'll get on that.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I like his music, but there's an Alice Cooper quote that's basically this satire for real. He was like "I didn't wanna hear about all that politics growing up, so I just put my headphones on and blasted the Stones or The Who."

Like, really?
You don't have to be smart to be a good musician.

Oct 28, 2017
United States
You know. I've been thinking of checking out Brutal Legend since it went BC.

Guess I'll get on that.
Brutal Legend has its flaws, but I fucking loved that game so much. The character, world, and story are great, and I actually liked the RTS parts.

Sidequests can get repetitive, but I don't think you really need to do a ton of them. Biggest issue for me was that it ended right where it seemed like a new section should start.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why does this even need to be said

When you play online games or browse gaming community / steam forums, or mostly any forums that aren't ERA, you get to sight of how ugly and awful fans of games (mostly white dudes but getting better) are and can be.

It's said so people can know that game developers don't tolerate that shit.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Agreed.

Even the fact that there's a mod here called Ron Paul is a little strange, given that the real life Ron Paul is more than merely a loopy idealist, what with sharing images with the racist/anti-Semitic phrase "cultural Marxism" and all.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017

nW9pEf9.png

Dark Souls - Why do selfish assholes think that suffering through militant trial and error is a better experience than choosing an effective difficulty to leverage your personal skill level?

Mario - Are the ideals of 'damsel in distress' plot conditioning an outdated concept?

Dragon Ball - Don't immigrants (illegal or not) posses the potential to become their new home countries greatest asset? If not the world?

Bayonetta - Could it be possible that religion has been swapped in ideals?

Nier Automata - Can a sentient AI actually begin to show signs of human conciousness?

Persona 5 - idk I haven't played it lol

Lol I tried

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, why is it bad to have "politics" in a game

Or are they just saying they don't want politics that they feel uncomfortable about? On general principle? What else are we not supposed to have? International borders? Economies? Genders? Airbags? I'm genuinely confused (about MGS too) as to why it's considered a no-no. If you took religion out of Japanese games, you'd strip about a third of themes and references - and more than that from JRPGs.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

nW9pEf9.png

giphy.gif

Like, three of those games (Persona 5, Nier Automata, Bayonetta) are extremely political. Christ, there's more to politics than fucking taxes, jobs, and social issues. We really should teach people fucking advance civics in classrooms.

Last edited:

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017

Or are they just saying they don't want politics that they feel uncomfortable about? On general principle? What else are we not supposed to have? International borders? Economies? Genders? Airbags? I'm genuinely confused (about MGS too) as to why it's considered a no-no. If you took religion out of Japanese games, you'd strip about a third of themes and references - and more than that from JRPGs.

It's the same "turn off your brain" nonsense of "my entertainment shouldn't have to make me think."

It's basically from the same vein of people who claim "comics have never been political." These are tended to be thought of as dumb, unsophisticated entertainment and having to face ideas and concepts outwardly presented in a game and asked to think about them is too challenging for some people. Or perhaps they're ideas they don't agree with/are uncomfortable with and demand for "simpler" narratives that don't challenge them in quite the way a game like say Spec Ops: The Line or the MGS series does or even Mass Effect for including LGBT relationships.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

Yeah their aversion isn't really about politics in games, it's about minorities in games (and otherwise).

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Cant really say anything about the others but Nier:Automata and Bayonetta definately have elements and themes in them which have political implications.

The bad guy in Persona 5 is a politician who assaults women and gets away with it because of his social status, for one.

Worth pointing out that this comment was on an article about HBomberGuy's DK64 charity stream, so three guesses what this dork was actually upset about

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
The bad guy in Persona 5 is a politician who assaults women and gets away with it because of his social status, for one.

Worth pointing out that this comment was on an article about HBomberGuy's DK64 charity stream, so three guesses what this dork was actually upset about
Haha at the Persona mention then. xD
Yeah, I can imagine what might have rustled his feathers...

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017

"Bloodlines 2 being made by SJWs" i know that its being said like its a bad thing but god, im so happy that hardsuit labs and paradox are making a firm stand about being political and lgbtq+ heavy. We desperately need more devs like them.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018

Like, really?
e64ec0198de79c67a52ac431e649c648a2873931v2_hq.jpg

Your quote reminded me of this, also.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Like, really?

Conversely, I'm not a fan or know much about him, but in his defense, for people of that age, especially back when they were young, "politics" typically meant politicians and what they do, and more often than not, conservative politicians and the estabilishment. It's only with the advent of the internet that most left-leaning young people were able to connect with each other and realize that counter-estabilishment beliefs and ideals are also politics. This, of course, was by design: the higher powers controlled a large share of the mass media, and they wanted to keep each of these young people isolated and powerless to challenge them. Under that lens, music was not just not political, but antipolitical.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
e64ec0198de79c67a52ac431e649c648a2873931v2_hq.jpg

Your quote reminded me of this, also.
I love this picture.

All I have to say is I think everytime I see something about Tim Schafer I wish I knew him personally so I could buy him a beer (or I guess... maybe a coffee). Ever since seeing how cool he was in the Double Fine Adventure documentary. I'm glad he doesn't disappoint and he continues to fly cool.