• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I was once posed a difficult challenge on Twitter dot com:

nW9pEf9.png
Dragon Ball is literally all about an illegal immigrant who overcomes the negative stereotypes and cultural baggage of his race to become a family man and his adopted planet's greatest defender.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Not that it matters for the topic here, but no funds were squandered. Everything promised in the kickstarter, and more, was delivered to backers.

They delivered, but not before putting the game into Early Access and charging for it in order to finish it. Double Fine took the profits, got excited that they had more money than they anticipated, then overdid it and had to ask people for even more money than they'd earned. I heard the game itself ended up good, and I'm not disparaging Double Fine's games or creativity or anything. Just sayin' that I personally don't seek out their games after watching all of that happen.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
They delivered, but not before putting the game into Early Access and charging for it in order to finish it. Double Fine took the profits, got excited that they had more money than they anticipated, then overdid it and had to ask people for even more money than they'd earned. I heard the game itself ended up good, and I'm not disparaging Double Fine's games or creativity or anything. Just sayin' that I personally don't seek out their games after watching all of that happen.
You speaking about Broken Age? You can't entirely blame them. They asked for very little money, got millions, overshot the aim with the game a little so it took longer than anticipated and had to be released in two parts. No one was scammed, the scope just grew with the, like, 10x budget they got vs. what they initially asked for.

But it wasn't "put in Early Access" nor did they "make people pay even more". They released the game in two parts but anyone who had paid for the game once through Kickstarter got both parts for that price. Kickstarter backers got the whole game and late-comers knew that Act 1 was just Act 1 when they released it so it's not like they tried to hide that and people were surprised they only got one half of a game. Like, again, what's the problem?

What a weird take on the whole situation.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
You speaking about Broken Age? You can't entirely blame them. They asked for very little money, got millions, overshot the aim with the game a little so it took longer than anticipated and had to be released in two parts. No one was scammed, the scope just grew with the, like, 10x budget they got vs. what they initially asked for.

But it wasn't "put in Early Access" nor did they "make people pay even more". They released the game in two parts but anyone who had paid for the game once through Kickstarter got both parts for that price. Kickstarter backers got the whole game and late-comers knew that Act 1 was just Act 1 when they released it so it's not like they tried to hide that and people were surprised they only got one half of a game. Like, again, what's the problem?

What a weird take on the whole situation.

I didn't say they were scammed, so idk where you're getting that: I said I don't really seek out their games after seeing that. What I think is that they were irresponsible. Like, I literally was reading news articles when all of this was going down. They made way more than they initially asked for, got excited, decided to implement even more features and more of the game in general, and then later on ended up having to ask for more money via sales of Act 1. My bad--I missed that it did indeed skip Early Access, though they had planned on putting it there.

I'm not saying they hid that Act 1 was only Act 1; I'm not saying nobody got the game. You're putting words in my mouth; what I said, and the only thing I've ever said, is that I personally steer clear of them due to seeing them have to ask for more money after making multiple times their initial ask/budget.

Like. I'm literally not insulting Double Fine, their work, or Schafer. I posted saying I'm glad he spoke up given that he's a huge figure in the industry, with a side-note about not following them much because of what happened with Broken Age. I don't know why you're trying to make it seem like I have a massively strange, unreasonable, or insulting take.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say they were scammed, so idk where you're getting that: I said I don't really seek out their games after seeing that. What I think is that they were irresponsible. Like, I literally was reading news articles when all of this was going down. They made way more than they initially asked for, got excited, decided to implement even more features and more of the game in general, and then later on ended up having to ask for more money via sales of Act 1. My bad--I missed that it did indeed skip Early Access, though they had planned on putting it there.

I'm not saying they hid that Act 1 was only Act 1; I'm not saying nobody got the game. You're putting words in my mouth; what I said, and the only thing I've ever said, is that I personally steer clear of them due to seeing them have to ask for more money after making multiple times their initial ask/budget.

Like. I'm literally not insulting Double Fine, their work, or Schafer. I posted saying I'm glad he spoke up given that he's a huge figure in the industry, with a side-note about not following them much because of what happened with Broken Age. I don't know why you're trying to make it seem like I have a massively strange, unreasonable, or insulting take.

I think most companies/people would take someone saying they "squandered money" as an insult.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
I think most companies/people would take someone saying they "squandered money" as an insult.

ok, and...? Schafer isn't here to be the one insulted by it, I've made it clear that I think his work is charming even if I don't closely follow him, and I also made it clear that my actual point was that I think it's really nice such a well-known industry figure is actively speaking out against white supremacy, which we (sadly) need more visible industry people to talk about. I'm not sure why my offhanded comment that immediately refocused on Schafer's comments is getting people irritated. It's not the topic at hand.

Dark Souls - Why do selfish assholes think that suffering through militant trial and error is a better experience than choosing an effective difficulty to leverage your personal skill level?

Mario - Are the ideals of 'damsel in distress' plot conditioning an outdated concept?

Dragon Ball - Don't immigrants (illegal or not) posses the potential to become their new home countries greatest asset? If not the world?

Bayonetta - Could it be possible that religion has been swapped in ideals?

Nier Automata - Can a sentient AI actually begin to show signs of human conciousness?

Persona 5 - idk I haven't played it lol

Lol I tried
Persona 5's entire premise is basically Youth Counterculture Simulator: The RPG. Almost every single story arc of the main plot involves your party confronting a high ranking member of society that has been abusing their power at the expense of innocent people. The intro cutscene involves the main character being abused during an interrogation. One of the main antagonists is also a literal politician. It's the most blatantly political game on that list.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

Yes, and I feel that's a really weird thing to do. Their "initial ask" was for a much smaller game. They got almost 10 times the initial ask so they expanded the scope of the project by quite a lot. Eventually a bit too much perhaps, but they delivered the full game to everyone. So, again, what's the problem? I don't see what's so bad about doing it in two parts. Game projects are living things, sometimes they take longer and cost more than you initially think. What's SO BAD about that that you'd completely abandon a developer? If you think that is mishandling money to the degree that you refuse to ever buy anything from Double Fine again, then I don't see how you can buy any game from almost any developer because similar kinds of overshoots of budget/development happen all the time. Rare if non-existent are the games that stay within the budget/development timeline thought about before the game even enters production (and it usually shows in the game's quality if they do).

And hat Endgadget article is embarrassingly bad.

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
I'm baffled that someone would still hold a grudge against Double Fine for the Broken Age thing. The fact that they decided to release Act 1 first is completely the opposite of mishandling the money, at least from the perspective of a player. They could have delivered a "finished" game for the budget of Act 1, and if they had done so, all of the post-release sales of the game would have been pure profit. Instead, they decided to increase their ambitions and the scope of the game dramatically, and they accomplished that by re-investing the sales back into the development of the game itself. It's absolutely the best thing they could have done for their fans under the circumstances.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Reminder: when the "anti-sjw" crowd complains about things being "political," they're using that term through a lens of privilege. To them, politics can be discarded. It's a hobby, a thing some people are interested in, but they don't have to be.

Yet, when they say "political" in reference to games, they don't mean as in "relating to government."

They don't want their games to have any kind of social commentary or "agenda," at all. Which we know is ridiculous because all art says something. For example, if your game has a male protagonist, that's saying something. If it has a female protagonist, that choice, again, is saying something.

The fact of the matter is that all of the games they like are political, they're probably just serving up the narrow-minded politics that they like. They're exploding now because people dissimilar to them have a larger voice than ever and it's growing every day.

Schafer is right and gaming cannot continue to be a safe space for hateful bigots.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and I feel that's a really weird thing to do. Their "initial ask" was for a much smaller game. They got almost 10 times the initial ask so they expanded the scope of the project by quite a lot. Eventually a bit too much perhaps, but they delivered the full game to everyone. So, again, what's the problem? I don't see what's so bad about doing it in two parts. Game projects are living things, sometimes they take longer and cost more than you initially think. What's SO BAD about that that you'd completely abandon a developer? If you think that is mishandling money to the degree that you refuse to ever buy anything from Double Fine again, then I don't see how you can buy any game from almost any developer because similar kinds of overshoots of budget/development happen all the time. Rare if non-existent are the games that stay within the budget/development timeline thought about before the game even enters production (and it usually shows in the game's quality if they do).

And hat Endgadget article is embarrassingly bad.

I never said I completely abandoned them, dude--you're coming after me for simply saying I tend to avoid them, and I've repeatedly mentioned that I like their games. Hell, I bought Costume Quest after the entire Broken Age thing. All I did was offhandedly mention that I tend to avoid them but I like the game and appreciate Schafer. That's it. I linked the Engadget article as a source to show that they overexpanded on what they could do; that's it.

I'm baffled that someone would still hold a grudge against Double Fine for the Broken Age thing. The fact that they decided to release Act 1 first is completely the opposite of mishandling the money, at least from the perspective of a player. They could have delivered a "finished" game for the budget of Act 1, and if they had done so, all of the post-release sales of the game would have been pure profit. Instead, they decided to increase their ambitions and the scope of the game dramatically, and they accomplished that by re-investing the sales back into the development of the game itself. It's absolutely the best thing they could have done for their fans under the circumstances.

idk, I'm not holding a grudge--I just don't tend to look out for their stuff after all of that. I don't like the thought that they decided to put one part out for profit instead of keeping to their actual budget, but at the same time, it's great that people that were super excited for it got at least a part of it! If they absolutely couldn't finish the game, that's definitely better than them not delivering at all. I just think it's also an issue of mishandled finances lol.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
e64ec0198de79c67a52ac431e649c648a2873931v2_hq.jpg

Your quote reminded me of this, also.
Lol, that image.

Although to be fair, that's partly Gundam's fault. Those shows go on and on about how war is terrible, but then turn around and are like "look at this new Gundam Death Machine Robot! It has Newtype super duper trans am omega system and big laser guns and shit! Buy all model kits now!"

"Wow cool robot" is also one of the show's messages, because it needs to sell toys.

Last edited:

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Glad everyone is coming back around to realizing how amazing Tim and his games are (for a while it felt like most of the gaming community was sleeping on him)! He's definitely not a jerkass, and it comes through in his works! If anyone hasn't played his stuff yet, make Psychonauts your introduction and become acquainted with the charming characters and the Super Mario meets Tim Burton/Nicktoons/Inception-style concept (and several years before Inception no less!).

May 26, 2018
Lol, that image.

Although to be fair, that's partly Gundam's fault. Those shoes go on and on about how war is terrible, but then turn around and are like "look at this new Gundam Death Machine Robot! It has Newtype super duper trans am omega system and big laser guns and shit! Buy all model kits now!"

"Wow cool robot" is also one of the show's messages, because it needs to sell toys.

Could you make Gundam in an entirely peaceful setting where the main characters are engineers & pilots who are competing against each other to make/pilot the coolest robots that beat the hardest challenges and it's like "dude, humanity is AWESOME also check out this sick laser arm"

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Glad everyone is coming back around to realizing how amazing Tim and his games are (for a while it felt like most of the gaming community was sleeping on him)! He's definitely not a jerkass, and it comes through in his works! If anyone hasn't played his stuff yet, make Psychonauts your introduction and become acquainted with the charming characters and the Super Mario meets Tim Burton/Nicktoons/Inception-style concept (and several years before Inception no less!).
How did Tim Schafer become overlooked, anyway?

Could you make Gundam in an entirely peaceful setting where the main characters are engineers and pilots who are competing against each other to make/pilot the coolest robots that beat the hardest challenges and it's like "dude, humanity is AWESOME also check out this sick laser arm"
There's a show about kids competing against each other with animated model kits in some weird AR/VR playspaces and how cool and awesome that is.

It just cuts out the war setting middleman and goes straight for pushing toys.

May 26, 2018
There's a show about kids competing against each other with animated model kits in some weird AR/VR playspaces and how cool and awesome that is.

It just cuts out the war setting middleman and goes straight for pushing toys.

nah it can't be VR though

it's gotta be real teams of super talented peeps making real-ass mobile suits and pushing themselves to the limits of human performance

and if someone makes a bad suit the pilot for that team's gotta be like "what is this trash? I EXPECT THE BEST YOU FOO- oh shit sorry susan I didn't know you built this part, oh god, oh no"

and then the bad guy is like "let's use all these suits in a war" and then the teams have gotta unite to stop him

I'd watch that show

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

That's a very cynical and reductive way of looking at it.

1. They started the project, and built a vertical slice of the game, and the tools required for it.
2. After that slice, they could judge the pace they would have going forward with the rest of the scenes that were now planned.
3. They decided after that to either cut content, or find a way forward with the planned content.
4. They decided on the latter.

Nothing of this is squandering money, nothing of this is irresponsible, nothing of this is bad management. It's just software development.

If you want to use that as a reason to buy and play their games anymore, that's your loss and your choice, but you ought to at least be aware that things are not as simple as you seem to think there.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019

Not by the industry so much as by audiences playing video games, at least it seemed that way for a while. Probably because the core design in most of the stuff he worked on (point and click adventure games with abstruse puzzles, the bait n switch of Brutal Legend going from action game to RTS, etc) isn't something that resonates with most players. That's why Psychonauts is such a perfect starting point because it's a solid platformer with accessible and fun gameplay as much as it is a memorable Tim Schafer story concept.

Last edited:

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Sort of hijacking the topic, but as I was so happy to hear this from Tim, (I've met him a few times in person, and chatted once or twice on Twitter), I wanted to support him.

The issue was, I already own most of Double Fine's games, aside the ones that aren't on platforms I generally play on. (And hey, I own 7 copies of Psychonauts!) I was trying to think of another way I could support him.

I ended up remaking the entire 90s Full Throttle trailer with footage from Full Throttle Remastered. Maybe people will dig that, and buy the game, thus supporting someone speaking out against evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlVY-xa59cY&feature=youtu.be

If you haven't played a Tim Schafer game, I suggest starting with Psychonauts. Full Throttle and Grim Fandango are some of the best games ever made though.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
Lol, that image.

Although to be fair, that's partly Gundam's fault. Those shows go on and on about how war is terrible, but then turn around and are like "look at this new Gundam Death Machine Robot! It has Newtype super duper trans am omega system and big laser guns and shit! Buy all model kits now!"

While the original author didn't do so well in that regards either, but back when it was show first, sell gunpla second, he at least tried to stay on message. Take Z Gundam for example, there were only two Gundams and most of the MS in the show weren't sold as model kits until the surge of gunpla.

The shift towards full-on "sell gunpla" happened when the rights of the show was sold to Bandai or something(can't remember all the details), was right when we started seeing G Gundam and likes, shows that feature all the Gundam in the universe for no apparent reason. The author knew that this would happen and went into depression, leading him to create V Gundam the way he did, allegedly.

I mean sure, as children, most of us watched the shows for the cool robots, but the author was consistent in his message, at least until the direction went "sell gunpla" for the show. It's not his nor his story's fault that were easily distracted by shinies.

We're on topic, right?

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
That's a very cynical and reductive way of looking at it.

1. They started the project, and built a vertical slice of the game, and the tools required for it.
2. After that slice, they could judge the pace they would have going forward with the rest of the scenes that were now planned.
3. They decided after that to either cut content, or find a way forward with the planned content.
4. They decided on the latter.

Nothing of this is squandering money, nothing of this is irresponsible, nothing of this is bad management. It's just software development.

If you want to use that as a reason to buy and play their games anymore, that's your loss and your choice, but you ought to at least be aware that things are not as simple as you seem to think there.

Again: I never said I don't buy their games at all or play them, and I never said it's that simple. I know costs go over in development all the time, that vertical slices are different from the actual game development itself, and so on.

What I saw when this all went down is that they planned the game, planned enough for the budget they asked for, and went for it. They got way more, thought "whoa, this is cool! we can do more than we thought we could!", which is great: they got extra money! The issue came when, whether due to lack of publisher/executive oversight or overeagerness or whatever, they realized that all the ideas they came up with after they got the extra money were undoable without even more money. They even said it themselves: "we designed too much game".

It's totally normal to realize that they needed a different budget; my issue with it was that they planned what they could do with $300,000, saw they got $3,000,000, and instead of doing something along the lines of Costume Quest (~$2mil budget), went bigger. It was a miscalculation, which is fine, but imo it was an instance where budget oversight would have been a good thing; they did something similar with Massive Chalice (although they did legit get extra money then put it on Steam Early Access). It's a little hard to really get into numbers outside of Kickstarter given that most companies are super quiet about planned budgets (instead only ever mentioning final development costs, and even those are tough to find). This has happened a few times, but when I watched it be announced in real-time with Broken Age, I found it really interesting and disappointing given how everything was so public. I appreciated them being transparent, given that we need more of that in game development from higher-profile studios, but I also felt it was weird that they expanded the game so much instead of focusing on making the game they'd originally planned, adding extra features from there, and then using the budget to work on really polishing the game (especially with Act 2 having been received less fondly than Act 1).

What does this all boil down to? My opinion is that Double Fine makes some really cute games (I loved Costume Quest; I didn't finish Psychonauts but loved what I played; I have Grim Fandango Remastered and am super excited to get around to playing it). My opinion is also that Double Fine is known for overshooting budgets and timelines (Broken Age wasn't the only time), so I don't tend to follow them closely and I pick up their games after they're finished. I'm not insulting Double Fine or Schafer; I'm not ignorant to the realities of games development; I recognize that there are plenty of issues we generally just don't see. I don't think it an unfair opinion to see a studio's games and think "eh, I'll pick it up later", but frankly, the number of responses I'm getting to something that was literally just an aside makes me think that DF's fans can't take even the mildest critique of the studio. Like I've been saying this entire time, I'm not insulting the studio, I don't dislike its output, and continually trying to invalidate my opinion on the matter strikes me as incredibly odd considering none of this is even on-topic.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Sigh, I hate the internet.

For your own sanity - especially if you're a minority (or double minority like myself) do not look at the mentions of Double Fine or Tim Sweeney on Twitter.

Also, some weird parallels going on here that are insanely off topic.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It blows my mind that this is a potentially risky thing to say for anybody in 2019. We took a weird turn somewhere down the line.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Could you make Gundam in an entirely peaceful setting where the main characters are engineers & pilots who are competing against each other to make/pilot the coolest robots that beat the hardest challenges and it's like "dude, humanity is AWESOME also check out this sick laser arm"
Isn't that just Gundam Build or something?
there's like 3 Gundam shows like that I think and they're like the most recent trend of Gundam shows literally.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Sigh, I hate the internet.

For your own sanity - especially if you're a minority (or double minority like myself) do not look at the mentions of Double Fine or Tim Sweeney on Twitter.

Also, some weird parallels going on here that are insanely off topic.

God, it's hard to look at ANYTHING on Twitter surrounding this kind of stuff. Already any mention of Tim Schafer is a total shitshow; throw in the other things that have been going on in gaming lately (like Pewdiepie's stuff) and things that are even tangentially-related are getting messy. I'm used to gamers being particularly hyperbolic, but any responses to retweets/things positively covering Schafer's comments are swarmed with bad faith comments and outright racism. Ugh.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Again: I never said I don't buy their games at all or play them, and I never said it's that simple. I know costs go over in development all the time, that vertical slices are different from the actual game development itself, and so on.

What I saw when this all went down is that they planned the game, planned enough for the budget they asked for, and went for it. They got way more, thought "whoa, this is cool! we can do more than we thought we could!", which is great: they got extra money! The issue came when, whether due to lack of publisher/executive oversight or overeagerness or whatever, they realized that all the ideas they came up with after they got the extra money were undoable without even more money. They even said it themselves: "we designed too much game".

It's totally normal to realize that they needed a different budget; my issue with it was that they planned what they could do with $300,000, saw they got $3,000,000, and instead of doing something along the lines of Costume Quest (~$2mil budget), went bigger. It was a miscalculation, which is fine, but imo it was an instance where budget oversight would have been a good thing; they did something similar with Massive Chalice (although they did legit get extra money then put it on Steam Early Access). It's a

But this is again you not fully understand how projects like these works.

For you to be able to properly scope your product, and judge product pace, you need something to compare with.

And the pitch of this project was that "we will do everything from scratch, and document the process". That didn't change because they got more money.

And for you to get something to compare with, when you start without the experience of this particular project (P&C adventure, wildly different from Double Fine's other games) and without tools, you need to build the tools and a part of the project.

When you have that, and you have plotted out all of the scenes, you can predict how long it will take.

You can wish that they aimed much smaller from the beginning, but in no way was this mismanagement, and there's nothing in this that would have been different with publisher oversight. What would have made it different was if preproduction had been done before the kickstarter campaign, but it hadn't been done, it was part of the pitch, and part of what everyone bought into.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I think there's atleast two factors I can point to, traditionally a PC developer (that's where his best work was originally developed for) and he doesn't do AAA. And also for a long time, point & click adventures haven't had similar prestige like they did in the late 80's and early/mid 90's. It's not quite the same as being the granddaddy of first person shooters in example, which probably is still the most popular genre.
I ended up remaking the entire 90s Full Throttle trailer with footage from Full Throttle Remastered. Maybe people will dig that, and buy the game, thus supporting someone speaking out against evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlVY-xa59cY&feature=youtu.be
This was cool, thanks for making it. I quite like how they upgraded the look of the game, I know not everyone is a fan. But I'm real happy with the remaster.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, that image.

Exactly what I was going to say.

The image makes it seem like the consumer is being dumb by buying into the image that the franchise is trying to push.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Dragon Ball is literally all about an illegal immigrant who overcomes the negative stereotypes and cultural baggage of his race to become a family man and his adopted planet's greatest defender.
I mean, that's not incorrect per say, but when said immigrant can blast your damn planet at will, I'd say being a little bit worried about more of them coming over is fairly legitimate :P

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I mean, that's not incorrect per say, but when said immigrant can blast your damn planet at will, I'd say being a little bit worried about more of them coming over is fairly legitimate :P
If Arale and Neko Majin Z exist on Dragon Ball's Earth I wouldn't be that worried. Let's also not forget that Cell was made on Earth so it's not like the planet is incapable of producing its own world ending threats.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't played a Tim Schafer game, I suggest starting with Psychonauts. Full Throttle and Grim Fandango are some of the best games ever made though.

There's something missing here, and it makes me angry. It makes me feel like I could... Like I could... Like... I... could...

Take on...

jMdiTs6.png

Mar 18, 2019
I was once posed a difficult challenge on Twitter dot com:

nW9pEf9.png
Dark Souls - Medieval politics (like Berserk).
Mario - About a working-class plumber rescuing a head-of-state who is constantly targeted and held hostage.
Dragon Ball - About an illegal alien from an enemy territory who becomes his adopted home's greatest defender against Nazis and other threats.
Bayonetta - Religious politics.
Nier Automata - Environmental politics.
Persona 5 - Political corruption, and Gen Z rebelling against older generations.