• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
UHHHH WHAT ABOUT WHAT ABOUT WHAT ABOUT WHAT ABOUT...ugh...nauseating
It's like yeah what about "school shootings"? Tim didn't say "fuck white supremacists and also I love that school shootings happen". Only thing they posted that was relevant is that people believe anything they want to. Which is right, bigots really do love to believe that marginalized groups are set on a campaign against them. Straight white men love to believe feminism and diversity is white male genocide. And idiots like themselves love to believe that we're stupid enough to think they have any actual empathy for anyone.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Btw, I'll post this again. It should be mandatory in every game

unknown.png

Where is this from?

Oct 25, 2017
I know you just want reactions but I'll bite. With the rise of anti-intellectualism (don't like something? call it "fakes news"), facism, and racism in America, particularly from the highest office in the land, it is important to be vocal about not supporting those dangerous ideas.

I think it says something you think I'm looking for reactions when I'm actually kinda serious (I don't have a venue but I like the idea of shouting obviously truths to make a statement they are still truths). I guess when we feel threatened everybody looks like an enemy like some sort of internet trolling PTSD.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The good thing about people being offended by this is that it easily exposes the pieces of shit.
But that's all it does. If nobody actually acts on top of that, they just keep going like the shit is alright. Hopefully Tim coming on the way he did is the big wakeup call/inspiration people need to rally.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I think the only reason he said "I hope this isn't controversial" was because he said the fuck word on stage, not necessarily because of his statement.

I disagree. Yes, he's acknowledging the bluntness of the statement, but he's definitely referencing the fact that the rise of white supremacy/misogyny/fascism (especially in gaming) has been re-normalized and emboldened in recent years. It has become, like, a topic of debate, rather than a secret kind of bigotry that was communicated via dog whistles and celebrated privately. To be clear, systematic racism and misogyny never went anywhere and, as a cornerstone of this country's foundation, flourished past the civil rights movement, the information age, and the current era of woke marketing.

But with it so viciously out in the open again, quiet racist monsters are able to radicalize ignorant teens and young adults much more efficiently, giving them the confidence and numbers to commit a near constant onslaught of terrorism on the population, knowing that no consequence will come to their movement.

We need to be screaming "FUCK WHITE SUPREMACISTS" every single day as (metaphorically) loud as we can specifically because it is controversial. We need to hammer them until it's no longer controversial and the Hateful go back to being publicly ostracized. Then we need to dig deeper, de-radicalize and educate the broken youth it's not too late to save, and purge the rest from their place in society, politics, institutions, etc., however we can. And we can't go back to the status quo. Dog whistles need to identified and people held accountable, and we need to drastically restructure the institutions that perpetuate systematic bigotry and build safeguards to prevent an easy return the moment there's a power shift.

Can this happen before Climate Change ravages the earth beyond repair? I'm not hopeful but it's possible. We're kinda making a little progress with some of the proper leftists that have come into power in congress and local governments, but the inertia of hate and self-destruction is near insurmountable. Fingers crossed.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I think this is something everyone can agree with. People who really mock other people because of their skin color have a lot to learn in life.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Tim is the man. Wish more game devs and well, people in general could just say it.

It's like yeah what about "school shootings"? Tim didn't say "fuck white supremacists and also I love that school shootings happen". Only thing they posted that was relevant is that people believe anything they want to. Which is right, bigots really do love to believe that marginalized groups are set on a campaign against them. Straight white men love to believe feminism and diversity is white male genocide. And idiots like themselves love to believe that we're stupid enough to think they have any actual empathy for anyone.
Well it's the exact same as the people who respond to "black lives matter" with "no, ALL lives matter" Like no, you fucking dumbass, we know. You heard "ONLY black lives matter" when we meant "black lives matter TOO."

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
LOL! I know that but given I have never played the game, I am wondering whether it is from an article covering the game. From your response it sounds like this is actually seen in the game. If so then where and when in the game does it appear?
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is a video game.

Vampire: The Masquerade is a tabletop roleplaying game, part of the World of Darkness setting, and is where the games take place. I don't know the source of the image myself, but it's probably from a sourcebook related to the tabletop game. They're filled with rules and lore.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Right? I just love that white supremacy can't be acknowledged without having to acknowledge a bunch of other shit too...

"I think nazis are bad"

"YEAH WELL REMEMBER THAT TIME A BLACK GUY ROBBED A STORE IN THE BRONX BACK IN 2011!"

"bro...I'm just saying nazis are bad...you fragile fucking cave troll..."

I have zero empathy for my own kind saying the stupid shit that they do...

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is a video game.

Vampire: The Masquerade is a tabletop roleplaying game, part of the World of Darkness setting, and is where the games take place. I don't know the source of the image myself, but it's probably from a sourcebook related to the tabletop game. They're filled with rules and lore.
You're right. It's from the Vampire The Masquerade 5th edition Corebook, the latest book in the tabletop line.

Dijital_Majik

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing controversial about condemning any hateful ideology at all.

Good on Tim for saying what needed to be said in this industry.

Oldhand

Oct 28, 2017
Here's an idea. A massive AAA release where you start the game in a random character - skin tone, sex, sexual orientation and belief system. You then have to play the game in that character with character appropriate dialogue as you go along.

One way to encourage tolerance if well written.

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should bring him out at every press conference for every company at every show this year just to say those 3 words.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
Why would anyone besides white supremacists aka ignorant assholes be offended by this?

My favorite part about this is those same people would deny being a white supremacist. Like, they know being a white supremacist is something to be ashamed of, and that's why they deny it, but they continue to be one anyway.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
If I ever get on stage I'm going to yell "Earth is round motherfuckers!" as we now need to bravely state obvious things because groups of awful people exist.
Earth is round would be an offensive idea to a certain group of people. We have to let other people know what we believe in to help standardize cultural norms. Being vocal about your viewpoint is something that helps that viewpoint spread and become accepted.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Well, yeah, white supremacists are, funnily, the most fragile people on the internet. :"")
So much for these people talking about "culture outrage" when they get upset at the slightliest thing.

Trust me. There'll be.
5c0.php
You know, Boogie is often an idiot, but I've seen this comic more than a few times and I think its a pretty unfair portrayal. He has said on many occasions as recently as a few days ago, that his "centrist" take was a bad take and regularly says fuck nazi's and white supremacists on twitter. I'm not saying he deserves a cookie or anything and I wont go to bat for the entirety of his character, I just think that this version of Boogie is kind of an obnoxious strawman caricature.

with all of that said.

Reading the initial headline, I thought to myself

tumblr_inline_p1brmcd9Dk1rr08jv_500.jpg

I think its really sad that we have gotten to a place where "Fuck white supremacy" could ever be considered a controversial statement.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Tim Schafer: Fuck scum of the earth

Scum of the earth: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?! How DARE you?!

Oldhand

Oct 28, 2017
Earth is round would be an offensive idea to a certain group of people. We have to let other people know what we believe in to help standardize cultural norms. Being vocal about your viewpoint is something that helps that viewpoint spread and become accepted.

It's an oblate spheroid.

There's always one..

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Is This person even real? How painfully unaware can you be? Unless he is a proud white suprematist then it makes total sense.
TheQuartering's real, and one of the biggest pieces of shit around. Dude's a massive chud who decided to get on the right-wing gamer outrage grift last year, but he got his start in Magic, where he's been banned by Wizards of the Coast from all Magic the Gathering events for harassing a cosplayer.

That said, nice to see Sky Williams - someone who too often tries to play the enlightened centrist card IMO - going off in his replies, pointing out that the only people would get mad at Tim's statement are people who feel that he's targeting them with it.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
Here's an idea. A massive AAA release where you start the game in a random character - skin tone, sex, sexual orientation and belief system. You then have to play the game in that character with character appropriate dialogue as you go along.

One way to encourage tolerance if well written.
It's not AAA, but if I remember right the popular online survival game Rust randomly selects your skin tone and sex using your Steam ID number as a seed. A lot of assholes were livid that their character was black or female, and the only way to get a different character appearance is to buy the game again on a different account. I'm not sure it encouraged tolerance, but it was fun to watch.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
can we fucking please keep politics out of games, jesus christ

anyway i'm going back to playing my favourite game, Metal Gear Solid 2

No joke I had a Twitter argument with someone who said Japanese games weren't ruined by politics then asked me to point out the politics in Persona 5...a game where the main bad guy is a literal fucking politician