• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's an empty statement because he knows that a storefront with all the payment methods that Steam has (many of which are necessary for the international market) can't drop their cut to 12% and still remain profitable.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
The situation with Tim Sweeny becomes similar to Trump's, not sure there is much to gain from monitoring his twitter and putting much weight on everything these people say on there.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
So do people not believe Sweeney would keep his word, or that Steam would change their revenue cut?

Without exclusives Epic Store doesn't have a chance. So I personally don't believe him. But that's not the point. Point is that he is asking Valve to do something that would destroy big part of why Steam got successful.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
He's probably telling the truth. It's got to get old giving someone 30% for practically zero reason.

Try selling your own game on your own website/store for 100% cut and you'll suddenly see dozens of reasons. (Edit: Well, unless you're EA, Ubisoft, or Blizzard)

PROTIP: You can sell steam keys of your game on your own website/store for 100% cut

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't really matter if people believe it or don't since Gabe would never call this bluff.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Steam will hedge eventually, once Epic's platform is up-to-par and also serving up cross-platform functionality, but I can't imagine it'll ever get close to 88-12%.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Why are people mad at Epic instead of Steam and their unsustainable monopoly pricing of 30%? I thought Era was pro-developers?

Valve can't lower their cut to 12%, that is not enough for them to run Steam at the current level. That is why people are calling out Tim on this one.

Vatrak

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
I doubt most consumers use every feature if steam. Both can be relevant and true.
How is that relevant to what I said? Unless you are suggesting that Valve should remove features to give publishers a better cut?
Should they stop paying the processing fees and let consumers pay them like the EGS does?
Should they make consumers pay $1-2 more for Steam Wallet Cards instead of absorbing the retailer's fee?
Really, what feature that currently cost them money should they remove?

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, bullshit.
I can't consider this even as a pr move, since saying "EGS is only there to show Valve the way" is too big of a lie.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Steam will hedge eventually, once Epic's platform is up-to-par and also serving up cross-platform functionality, but I can't imagine it'll ever get close to 88-12%.

Yeah, Epic's 12% cut always came off as a sort of promotional deal to me. I fully expect once they have enough ground gained in the PC landscape, that cut gradually increases. Likely not to Steam's levels, but still - it goes up.

Doesn't change the fact that Valve should be decreasing their own cut to compete, rather than continuing to coast on market share.

Oct 27, 2017
Xy7OWdZ.gif

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
I mean, because they can't. Not without leaving their international market in the dust, as demonstrated by Epic's poor treatment of Non-Tier 1 regions. Even if Valve is still able to turn a viable profit at only 12%, they've amputated a significant chunk of their non-US/EU sales.

Sweeney literally just wants to hurt Valve no matter what.
What would hurt the other regions if Valve only took a 12% cut universally?

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people mad at Epic instead of Steam and their unsustainable monopoly pricing of 30%? I thought Era was pro-developers?
As long as it doesn't inconvenience them at all in any way, then yes they are.

I don't think he's lying at all but he knows Valve ain't giving up a penny.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
What about that is unsustainable? Why are you more pro-publisher (not developer) than consumer, who winds up bearing the extra transactions fees that Epic tacks on? Why do people who come in with these silly drive by posts never know that Steam *already has* variable revenue share?

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
After Sweeney defeats Valve he's going to shame console makers to lower their rates to 15-20%.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah you'd stop because you'd have to spend a lot more money to lock up those deals. Tim's a real prick. I wonder how long until Epic raises their cut. Maybe when one day Fortnite is no longer brining in as much money.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck off. If any of the executives at Epic give a shit about developers then they'll stop working their Fortnite people to the bone.

This isn't about developers. It's about trying to cripple Valve. That's why he didn't name any other storefronts. It isn't about providing a better service, better customer relations, or any value at all to consumers.

Regardless, the same people that don't play games on PC will be out in droves to tell us all why this is good, and that we need to stop getting upset over launcher wars.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
What would hurt the other regions if Valve only took a 12% cut universally?

Have you seen the payment info from emerging markets in Asia? Over 80% of purchases are made with valve cards bought in physical stores, Valve eats the retailer cost on these so the consumer gets 1 to 1 on their money, stuff like this is where that 30% cut goes.

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017

My hidden gem last year was a small hockey game made by a independent finish developer. The game is Super Blood Hockey. I could not buy that game on my favourite store, GOG, due to curation lucky I could buy it on Steam. I don't think I can buy it on the EPIC store as the EPIC store is only pro already known developers.

It seems that steam also is better at expanding the global market than EPIC store. Which also is pro developer.

What I am trying to say is that it is not as easy to day that 12% is pro developers and 30% is anti developers.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
100% serious, 30% for a digital store is ridiculous. Have they lowered that?

It's not. I have more experience here than basically anyone on this forum TBH.
I have both worked with Valve/Steam for close to a decade and also spent 5 years running an independent digital store (playism)

Valve offers an absolute great value at their 30% cut because compared to other digital stores it is not a goddamn headache to release a game and
actually has easy to access data and marketing features. Not to mention the fact that you get unlimited keys (within reason) basically for free, which is not the case on any other platform.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
You got a big mouth when you know valve is completely harmless. They're not going to say anything. Not going to do anything.

So fuck yeah party diarrhea mouth.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

First of all, you should probably learn what a monopoly is. Second, if 30% is unsustainable the video game industry should be ending sales of physical copies as soon as possible since publishers get less from that than a digital sale. Being you're so pro-developer I'm sure you're hoping that the next generation of consoles are online digital sales only.

spinalscratch

Nov 2, 2017
LOL this guy is delusional. When all business are shifting into being completely customer oriented, this guy is telling them what to do. Like if we don't have enough games in Steam to buy XD.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
Who cares what app the games are sold on, honestly. I have games across Origin, the Microsoft Store, Steam, and others.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they say the 12% cut thing was an initial deal too? Or did I dream that up
The initial deal was that they would also pay for the 4% for the influencers cut, after a 1 year launch window for the store, the devs would pay it from their hand (and would start competing with other devs for them). The 12% is supposed to be there forever.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Er, could you define "unsustainable" for me? How long past a decade of domination, wild sales, and high customer satisfaction does it have to go to earn the apparently elusive "sustainable" designation?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
How do we know they can't?

It is simple Valve supports over 100 payment methods where fees range from 2% up to 15% or even more. Also Steamworks has way more features and it is constantly updated. And now Valve offers anticheat and DDoS protection for free with dedicated servers for developers incoming (probably for free) on their private network (Valve has their own global server and infrastructure, they are not using AWS like Epic). And Steam has much more features that cost money because they operate truly global store that adapts to the different markets.

Epic operates global store based on US/Western Europe standards and wants all markets to adapt to them.

That is why Valve can't lower their cut that much.