• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo develops their own hardware ecosystem which means a lot of fixed costs and risk. So do Microsoft and Sony. Valve builds on the existing PC ecosystem. If anything your question proves my point. They are charging developers the same as Nintendo without creating their own hardware ecosystem.

Also, Nintendo has a monopoly on the Switch store, so them charging 30% shows that this is probably the equilibrium monopoly pricing (they can't raise it any further without hurting demand for their store). So yeah, this comparison doesn't put valve in the best light.
Did you seriously ignore the well thought out post of someone who knows how these things work so that you could do some armchair economics 101 speculation about equilibrium pricing?

Here's the post again for you.
It's not. I have more experience here than basically anyone on this forum TBH.
I have both worked with Valve/Steam for close to a decade and also spent 5 years running an independent digital store (playism)

Valve offers an absolute great value at their 30% cut because compared to other digital stores it is not a goddamn headache to release a game and
actually has easy to access data and marketing features. Not to mention the fact that you get unlimited keys (within reason) basically for free, which is not the case on any other platform.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Steam is an amazing company and they have an amazing product, by far the best. I love them and use them all the time. It's not about me though, it's about the entire ecosystem. We need more competition in distribution because as far as I know, Steam is extremely dominant.

I bet e.g. GoG is doing so much better now that Epic denies their exclusively bought titles to be sold there!

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how many indie devs seem to take issue with Steam's lack of curation and storefront management over the past few years, I would say that does in fact pose a problem to me - as somebody who enjoys indie games, and would prefer if the people who developed them could easily afford to do so full-time.

This isn't to say EGS' solution is perfect. But part of being a responsible consumer means considering how the market reflects all individuals operating within it - not just your individual perspective. Epic has a long way to go if they want to make EGS a more sustainable alternative to Steam. But right now, I'm just interested that somebody is trying. If the pressure Epic can supply forces an industry-wide shift, that's a good thing.
Despite all the articles with references to this over the years, I have yet to see an indie dev behind it that's actually put out a solid game recently that deserved more sales than it received.

Also, how does EGS solve this exactly? An indie dev creates a game, has a publisher, Epic reaches out to them or they reach out to Epic, they sign a deal, now the publisher potentially receives more money upfront. At what point does the indie dev get more money? When the lackluster platform scares away customers they would have had elsewhere?

Oct 25, 2017
Steam is an amazing company and they have an amazing product, by far the best. I love them and use them all the time. It's not about me though, it's about the entire ecosystem. We need more competition in distribution because as far as I know, Steam is extremely dominant.
Did you know that you can buy Steam keys in many different places and those places have different prices from one another and compete with each other for sales?

It's almost as if Valve being the dominant launcher is only one part of the picture when it comes to discussing monopolies and competition, yet it seems to be the only part people focus on much of the time.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Back then, indie devs sold their games themselves and took all the profits.

https://twitter.com/spiderwebsoft/status/901195552989171713

"All the profits" minus credit card transaction fees (which are going to be WAY higher for a small indie business than they are going to be for a massive corporation), you have to handle all the customer service (I love that our customers can get refunds on Steam and I don't have to personally handle each one), and there's the huge issue of no visibility. There have been indie success stories outside of Steam, but the idea that Valve is taking 30% of gross revenue and not providing anything in return is ridiculous.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Then show us what Epic did for those small struggling studios? I can show you what Steam did.
I already noted in my post that I support Epic's policies because of the hypothetical change they could represent for the industry, not practical.

But your implication that Steam has done so much for these indie devs vocalizes a deeply toxic belief. The notion that because Steam was the platform that launched various indie hits (namely because it's damn hard to be an indie hit without being on Steam) - that these devs now owe Steam a sort of life debt. That to take an offer that better serves them would be amoral, and 'unfair'.

Meanwhile - Steam can open the floodgates of their storefront to shovelware, trading card schemes, toxic communities, and more - but of course that doesn't sully the deal.

Steam can do better. And if they don't, somebody else will. That's all this is.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I era basically mad at this guy for buying exclusives? What's the big deal here?

Buying exclusives is a ok in my book. I don't get the controversy.

Just because console manufacturers have trained you to believe this over the years it doesn't make it right.

Ok so what this boils down to is "competition is good"?

Is said competition still good when it reduces consumer choice and forces consumers to use products that lack features that are now considered to be standard?

Is said competition good when things like card processing fees are being passed on to the consumer?

Is said competition good when it means games are releasing without certain planned features enabled because the storefront is incapable of supporting them?

If all we care about is developer splits then all storefronts in existence need to be looked at, not just steam.

Oct 25, 2017
Old definition. Digital monopolies control demand, not supply. See Facebook and Google, maybe Amazon down the line.

Ah, so we're just making up our own definitions for things while arguing in bad faith now.

giphy.gif

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
He's just holding these games hostage to get greedy Valve to change their ways, guys. Don't you believe him?

He only says this because he knows 12% is barely sustainable for Epic Games Store let alone a platform that offers as much as Steam. He knows Valve can't afford to have that split across the board in all territories.

How fucking blatant can you be with taking people's complaints about your business practice and try to make it about your competitor. They need to get him off Twitter. It's one foot in mouth moment after another.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I already noted in my post that I support Epic's policies because of the hypothetical change they could represent for the industry, not practical.

But your implication that Steam has done so much for these indie devs vocalizes a deeply toxic belief. The notion that because Steam was the platform that launched various indie hits (namely because it's damn hard to be an indie hit without being on Steam) - that these devs now owe Steam a sort of life debt. That to take an offer that better serves them would be amoral, and 'unfair'.

Meanwhile - Steam can open the floodgates of their storefront to shovelware, trading card schemes, toxic communities, and more - but of course that doesn't sully the deal.

So all the problems you think Steam has are fixed by an unsustainable and non-standard cut?

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't been following this shit closely enough to understand why people hate Epic. Is it because they're money hatting exclusives to get people to onboard with their service? While that's not ideal, it seems like competition would be a good thing and moves like this are at least an effort to benefit devs. Letting Valve do whatever the fuck it wants, whenever it wants with no one to seriously check them seems like the bigger issue.

Is there a tl:dr about this posted somewhere?

Competition is only good if it spurs everyone to improve. Money hatting isn't going into the direction of that, and has in fact resulted in some negative consequences so far.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden

"All the profits" minus credit card transaction fees (which are going to be WAY higher for a small indie business than they are going to be for a massive corporation), you have to handle all the customer service (I love that our customers can get refunds on Steam and I don't have to personally handle each one), and there's the huge issue of no visibility. There have been indie success stories outside of Steam, but the idea that Valve is taking 30% of gross revenue and not providing anything in return is ridiculous.

Yes, I know. I was being slightly sarcastic.

Emiya777

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I'm not trying to come off as uninformed or blunt as a console gamer but like why are people so upset over this. Like all people have to do is just download the Epic store app. They are giving a bigger cut to devs and providing Valve with competition. This all just feels like early 2010s console wars to me.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
that 88/12 cant last ether, they just want a foot in the door, my gues it becomes 80/20 by end of next year.
My prediction is as they introduce new client features they will have devs opt in by giving up more of their cut. For example they can increase Epic's cut to, say, 15% to enable cloud saves for their game. That way they can continue to advertise a 12/88 baseline split for the absolute bare bones service tier.

DOA

Oct 26, 2017
You know, I'm old enough to remember PC gaming before Steam. Back then, indie devs sold their games themselves and took all the profits. The PC is still a free platform and nothing has really changed. You can still do that. You don't have to go through a digital client like Steam or GoG. If you have faith in your game, then put it up for sale on a website and go your own way.

What is more interesting (and probably worth keeping an eye on) is where these unfounded anti-Steam sentiments really come from and who is fueling them.
i'm old enough to remember PC gaming before steam also.
indie devs actually needed publishers to get the games into the brick and mortar stores, so they actually didn't take all the profits.
you forget that if a dev wants to keep the profit for its game on steam, all he needs to do is sell the steam key through its own site. Valve gets 0% on keys that sell from other places, than their store

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
My prediction is as they introduce new client features they will have devs opt in by giving up more of their cut. For example they can increase Epic's cut to, say, 15% to enable cloud saves for their game. That way they can continue to advertise a 12/88 baseline split for the absolute bare bones service tier.
that seems like a smart move tbh. devs are paying for steamworks wether they use it or not, so a move like ths makes sense.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to come off as uninformed or blunt as a console gamer but like why are people so upset over this. Like all people have to do is just download the Epic store app. They are giving a bigger cut to devs and providing Valve with competition. This all just feels like early 2010s console wars to me.
Moneyhatting exclusives is inherently anti-competitive.
Also while giving a bigger cut to devs is nice, the devs it helps the most (small, self publishing devs) are by and large not the ones they're moneyhatting. Giving the devs more of a cut sounds nice, but in actuality in most cases it'll be going to the publisher, and not the people actually working on the game

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
What about the three console maker storefronts? Is it because they make the hardware that they get a free pass on the 30% cut?

It's just not convenient to address for Tim and the EGS narrative. He needs his games on those platforms so the 30% is a-okay there. Again, Tim is anything but intellectually honest.

This hostage twitter post is a stunt in response to the Polygon article to go back to a narrative he likes more.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

What is toxic about my statement? I can give you two examples of games released in last 20 days that were even released not to mention success tnx to Steam policy not to curate everything and their features like Steam Reviews. Those games are Supraland and Forager. Go and look how many outlets covered those games and then go and look how many reviews those games have on Steam. As I said before Valve can improve their cut I don't know how much they can lower it but for sure that is not 12% Tim is asking for. And Valve and Steam does improve and it improved over the years without "competition".

Deleted member 30887

User requested account closure.
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Guys, we just want to make everything better for everyone. Our end goal isn't trying to make money, overtake everyone else and become a monopoly, that's not it at all. We're not a business, we're your friend.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've generally been unbothered by most of EGS's antics but this comes off as really childish

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm old enough to remember PC gaming before steam also.
indie devs actually needed publishers to get the games into the brick and mortar stores, so they actually didn't take all the profits.
you forget that if a dev wants to keep the profit for its game on steam, all he needs to do is sell the steam key through its own site. Valve gets 0% on keys that sell from other places, than their store
I think he was being sarcastic.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
There's a line in "Uniform" by Bloc Party that goes, "Commerce dressed as rebellion," and goddamn, is it applicable here. Epic isn't any less scummy and exploitative than Steam because it passes its savings onto the publishers while the developers keep getting ground into dust nor is the cut justified to the consumers when they're offered an objectively bare-bones platform that didn't even have a search function or a shopping cart at launch.

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
I can feel "its just an icon on your desktop" post coming soon.
Ask...

And ye shall receive

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Valve don't care. They are just going to keep doing their own thing, for better or worse. Childish bluff by Sweeney.

Oct 27, 2017
You didnt try but you surely nailed it.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia

To add on to this; his 2018 GDC talk also brings up Steam a couple of times. The whole thing is VERY WORTH a watch but the most relevant bit starts around 26:50.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I suggest reading the thread....

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
the one massive advantage steam has is if you a mid teir dev or smaller making a mp game, epic doesnt have a steamworks replacement.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Considering how many indie devs seem to take issue with Steam's lack of curation and storefront management over the past few years, I would say that does in fact pose a problem to me - as somebody who enjoys indie games, and would prefer if the people who developed them could easily afford to do so full-time.

This isn't to say EGS' solution is perfect. But part of being a responsible consumer means considering how the market reflects all individuals operating within it - not just your individual perspective. Epic has a long way to go if they want to make EGS a more sustainable alternative to Steam. But right now, I'm just interested that somebody is trying. If the pressure Epic can supply forces an industry-wide shift, that's a good thing.

If you enjoy indie games, then you should probably know that Epic states that they have a more curated policy than Steam. Which means lesser chance of indie devs getting on to EGS. In addition, Epic isn't going to have forum, so if you want to find someone else to talk about the games, you are pretty much s.o.o.l because mainstream general places like reddit doesn't talk about niche indie games.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
As usual, I'll just post this. I wish it was stickied or something lol -
The Great Epic Store FAQ

Oct 27, 2017
Or maybe using a definition that leaves out monopolies like Google is wrong? Because they are already subject to anti-trust fines in Europe.
Yeah, by actively hindering competition.

Valve has never, ever hindered competition with Steam. Devs and publishers are free to put the games elsewhere AND Steam, without repercussions from Valve.