• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Now here is something really interesting. Epic Games' CEO, Tim Sweeney, has just stated that if Steam commits to a permanent 88% revenue share for all developers and publishers without major strings attached, Epic Games will hastily organize a retreat from exclusives and consider putting its own games on Steam.

Sweeney claimed that 30% store dominance is the number 1 problem for PC developers, publishers, and everyone who relies on those businesses for their livelihood, and that Epic Games is trying to address this issues with its own store.

well then...i just dont believe him lol

anyways, SOURCE

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Eh, I believe him and that'd be good for devs while letting gamers play and buying from the PC store they want.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Bulllshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

But it makes him look (somewhat) more like the 'good' guy in this situation, so I can see why he'd go this route.

Especially when he knows Valve won't call his bluff.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
Bulllshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

But it makes him look (somewhat) more like the 'good' guy in this situation, so I can see why he'd go this route.

Especially when he knows Valve won't call his bluff.

And why shouldn't Valve? If Valve is the benevolent company that so many gamers make it out to be, why couldn't it?

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I-dont-believe-you.gif

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
lmao putting the screws on valve i see.

next goalpost should be, "we'll stop making exclusive deals when Valve finishes Half-Life 3"

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
This pretty much confirms to me he's a scumbag. I mean there was a lot before, but yeah.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
He knows Steam won't call.

I mean, because they can't. Not without leaving their international market in the dust, as demonstrated by Epic's poor treatment of Non-Tier 1 regions. Even if Valve is still able to turn a viable profit at only 12%, they've amputated a significant chunk of their non-US/EU sales.

Sweeney literally just wants to hurt Valve no matter what.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I believe him.

But Valve won't budge.
88% may well be a bridge too far. Should have gone with a more modest goal like 82% or so.

I don't think the EGS is as big a trouble to Valve to force them to change, so this feels
Premature.

Vatrak

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
Why would he even say something like that when only a few weeks ago, he said that it would be impossible to have all of the features that Steam has at such a low cut.

Does he seriously think people have that short of a memory?

Uraizen

Oct 26, 2017
Even if in some alternate universe(s) valve did do this, every Sweeney would be a liar and backpedal.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The 30% cut is absolutely not the biggest issue facing PC devs/pubs. What a silly thing to say.
Especially when you take into account how well developed and robust Steamworks is as a delivery platform.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
He's probably telling the truth. It's got to get old giving someone 30% for practically zero reason.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Gabe: "Valve will lower their cut to 12% if Epic stops overworking their employees permanently."

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to paint the exclusive deals they've been making as some sort of altruistic endeavour is some next level shit.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Why would he even say something like that when only a few weeks ago, he said that it would be impossible to have all of the features that Steam has at such a low cut.

Does he seriously think people have that short of a memory?
I doubt most consumers use every feature if steam. Both can be relevant and true.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
His other tweets in that thread are top tier sniffing his own farts nonsense. He really thinks we're all stupid enough to believe his 'saving pc gaming' line.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
So he wants Valve to remove majority of payment methods or transfer fees to customers, remove all features that are not necessary and stop doing everything else and just focus on Steam Store.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
So do people not believe Sweeney would keep his word, or that Steam would change their revenue cut?

Epic already said they don't plan to do exclusives forever and just by looking at Sony and Mircosoft, those moneyhats can't be spent endlessly forever.

Johnny

Oct 28, 2017
Why are people mad at Epic instead of Steam and their unsustainable monopoly pricing of 30%? I thought Era was pro-developers?

Edit: Era showed me some good reasons to be upset at EGS, so consider this position conceded.

Last edited: