• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
What sucks is Epic is absolutely the profile of developer to have power to push against Apple's policies that, yeah, should change. Small developers can't afford that fight.

But then all of that falls apart once you have to realize "oh, Epic sucks tho..." And everything about how they went about picking this fight feels gross and shitty and is falsely framed against some kind of altruism for the industry at large.

Yeah, Tim Sweeney had no standing to present himself as a man of the people--and Epic can't cast themselves as benevolent freedom fighters punching up at The Man. No amount of hashtags or hamfisted corporate propaganda will change that.

Having said that, though, Apple is full of shit for pretending to treat all companies equally too. There really aren't any heroes in this story.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It was in that email that Congress released. They're only taking 15 %. Tim Cook lied to congress, and the members were too feckless to call him out. https://www.macrumors.com/2020/07/30/apple-halved-app-store-fee-amazon-prime-video/
Maybe re-read that. The terms that Prime ended up getting were actually rolled out to the entire App Store and any service can use them. If Netflix wanted to copycat Prime, they could without issue. They did not give Prime anything that they weren't willing to give the entire App Store.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm genuinely surprised it's taken this long for someone to call out Tim Sweeny for blatantly bullshitting, but the revelation that, yes, Tim did indeed ask Apple for special treatment is not surprising at all.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
That 70% will probably look better and better the longer Fortnite is off of iOS and Android (it's still pulled from Android right? Or can you still sideload it like they used to do?).

I'd be curious to know just what percentage of their Fortnite purchases come from iOS. Must have been high enough for Epic to start this whole case in the first place in the hopes of getting that 30% extra (or special case reduced amount, if that's what they're really after).

ninezeroone

Oct 27, 2017
Sweeney email

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Lots of misunderstanding in here, this is literally the relief stated in the suit. Of course epic went to apple first before seeking legal action

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
An email so correct it shows Apple is the one that actually controls Android customers choice of app store and payment processing system.
Lots of misunderstanding in here, this is literally the relief stated in the suit. Of course epic went to apple first before seeking legal action
There were 2 emails before they were kicked out. One asking for a special deal and another telling Apple they willingly broke the agreement.

Edit: Second email when they broke the agreement:

unknown.png

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I think this specifically hurts Epic. If this case had more companies involved against Apple I think this would be a non-issue. But a judge is going to see this case, see that Tim tried to get special treatment and when Apple rejected he launched into this lawsuit. It won't hold much water.
You make an excellent point about other companies not being involved. It will be interesting to see whether the judge looks at this from the point of view of "yes, Apple is in fact a monopoly as Epic claims" or "Epic is just doing this because they were spurned and this is frivolous".

From a content standpoint, Epic's lawsuit remains valid, I think. But, as you are suggesting, at this point Epic and Apple are fighting a PR war that may bleed over in the courtroom.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This is getting good and we're only a week in!

Gotta wonder if Epic would've even pursued legal action if Apple cut them a deal. My guess is not.

Last edited:

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure there's a strategy to Sweeney's BS that doesn't make Epic look like dumb fuck amateur hour company whose collective culture never evolved beyond herp derp edgelord 90's land and just happened to have gotten lucky with Fortnite. Would love to see it some day.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Lmao at least now that they told his ass no he really cares about the smaller devs

Not only did they try to get a deal just for them but on top of that after they were told no they now are risking others development teams livelihoods to get a deal lmao and people are still defending Epic.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It contradicts Tim Sweeney's claimed intent, because his email specifically says Apple could send Epic permissions or a unique agreement if they aren't gonna change the rules. Tim Sweeney suggested they were doing this all along for all devs but actually sent a legally drafted notice interested in a side deal.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Apple will use these emails to proof that this whole lawsuit only exists because epic got denied a special deal and ask it to be thrown out.
Yes. But does that necessarily invalidate the validity of the lawsuit? In a general sense, I think I am asking if the motives of the plaintiff are grounds to disregard the content of the suit. I don't know the answer to that. Perhaps it will depend on how the judge will approach the case.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
An email so correct it shows Apple is the one that actually controls Android customers choice of app store and payment processing system.

There were 2 emails before they were kicked out. One asking for a special deal and another telling Apple they willingly broke the agreement.

unknown.png

Wait, but the email specifies opening it to all developers right after asking that Epic be allowed to do it? I don't know if this is as hypocritical as I thought it'd be.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017

There are two discussions here, and I think some people are mixing them up.

The legal one, which has merit.

And the PR one, which direct access to the email cast more doubt on.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
So Tim lied and it's documented that he lied?

Let me pretend to be shocked. Nope, I can't even pretend, this is just par for the course for him.

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, why are people surprised? I thought this was logic since they were complaining that Netflix etc already had special deals... They wanted the same, didnt get it and then did this whole thing. Not sure what's so surprising

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is getting good and we're only a week in!

Gotta wonder if Epic would've even pursued legal action if Apple cut them a deal. My guess is not.
Not that it makes Epic's case less important, but it's so transparently fueled by self-interest, counter to their entire white knight charade.
of course not. they would have kept quote and suddenly not care that random indie devs are getting only 70% of the profits. when they were denied, they decide to start this whole #freefortnite circus

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
It's the same bullshit he spouts when dealing with Valve...he's doing this for the developers and the gamers, at the same time creating a economy that features less competition and less value for the consumer.

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas

This. None of these emails constitute a "special deal" for Epic. They are all framed in the same way as the suit and public positioning against Apple's restrictions on app installation and payment processing on iOS.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, but the email specifies opening it to all developers right after asking that Epic be allowed to do it? I don't know if this is as hypocritical as I thought it'd be.
It specifies opening Epic own store to other devs. Not opening the loophole to other devs. Epic asked for an exeption to be made for them.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
As an app developer myself, I know how hard it is to work with Apple. Spontanious guideline changes, inconsistencies in the review procedures that can change per company and per app and the large app store cut, no easy way to speak to reviewers and reviewers that totally don't care what you have to say make them horrible to work with. They really need court intervention to change their ways as I know first hand how things have changed over the years. That said, I wish it wasn't Epic with Fortnite that made the case. I wish all the big companies came together and just made a big lawsuit out of this instead of Epic.
For real. Between the time of submitting an app/update for review and getting the approval notification, I live in pure anxiety lol

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020

unknown.png

has no effect on the law suit