• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Metal Gear Solid, Bioshock, Final Fantasy VII, Deus Ex. All games that would be objectively worse without their very obvious political slants. It's funny how people (white dudes) didn't whine about politics in mah vidya gaemz with these releases.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
gamers rise up but only if you have no political messages or opinions

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Honestly never hard him say anything political; but it puts some context around some of his other shit that makes it all worse lol
Just in general. Dude has some of the worst takes and opinions in the industry and thinks he some kind of tech God because Fortnite exploded. He's a walking foot-in-mouth machine, somehow more than Magic Randy Pitchford.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Solid, Bioshock, Final Fantasy VII, Deus Ex. All games that would be objectively worse without their very obvious political slants. It's funny how people (white dudes) didn't whine about politics in mah vidya gaemz with these releases.

Using his actual example of politically leaning with a company, I'd say there is a fair bit of difference between a game having political themes that can reflect to real world adjacents and then something like chic fil a openly bring against gay marriage and using the companys stance to fund those efforts.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I totally get what you mean but this prompt opens the doors for some funny answers. Try doing the politics of Pong or Tetris!
I mean Tetris is pretty damn political, at least in its creation and its commercial life. Made by someone in the USSR, copied and sold in the West. As for any political statement it is making, it's not a massive leap to see how someone in the USSR could come up with the concept of seemingly disparate shapes and having them all come together to form something that is uniform and structurally sound.

Yeah, that's a little tongue-in-cheek, but just because a game is abstract doesn't mean it can't be political. Plenty of abstract art has had political impact, and made political statements based on the context of the time.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
There's a pattern of people with power and wealth, obviously not affected negatively by 'politics', pushing to for politics to stay out of everything.

Clown shoes.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Using his actual example of politically leaning with a company, I'd say there is a fair bit of difference between a game having political themes that can reflect to real world adjacents and then something like chic fil a openly bring against gay marriage and using the companys stance to fund those efforts.

But their anti-LGBT funding is not advertised anywhere, its only came out in financial disclosure and investigative journalism.. So it doesn't even count in Sweeney's "comparny marketing vs content" divide

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
What a tool. Respect their freedom but like don't respect gamers (and game creators) right to make games that include politics? Lol. He's probably profiting off crunch at Epic so of course he doesn't like politics in games.

if game creators don't make games that represent real life, that would be awful. He's literally asking people to not include real life. if you're a minority, why wouldn't you want to see representation of the issues you face in your games?

On the subject of ppl protesting brands because of politics, maybe don't donate money to awful, cruel things and people won't protest your brand?

Dalcop

Nov 28, 2017
Ultimately, if you feel like laser-focusing on the specific topic of "is everything actually political though" when this thread involves a dismissal of issues revolving around the very existence and basic human rights of a minority groups, it kind of makes me wonder if you aren't missing the forest for the trees here. As politics as being discussed here, the state of being apolitical is just a reframing of the silencing of minorities.
But I already conceded I understand arguing against it from a difference in moral perspective. It's the everything is political argument (a position echoed in many similar threads, including this one) that I don't understand. That comes from a difference in logic, not morality or rights. If you don't have an answer for that particular question, that's fine, but I'm not missing the forest for the trees by asking about a very common rebuttal in these kinds of discussions.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Fuck that, FUCK THAT. In this day an age, being "apolitical", "both sides", "neutral" is an statement in itself saying that you just don't care about politics damaging other people, such a Trump's administation actions , white supremacy and any other kind of bigotry.

This guy is a fucking asshole, as anyone screaming to lave politics "out of...."

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Hj6siEbh.jpg

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Honestly I can't even parse what he is saying.

It sounds lhe says it's fine if it's from a genuine place but then goes on to say games should be divorced from politics entirely?

I.. obviously disagree but like.. I don't even get what he's trying to say?
What games specifically is he referring to? Legion? I do not think that's a marketing move by the dev team.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
On the subject of ppl protesting brands because of politics, maybe don't donate money to awful, cruel things and people won't protest your brand?

He wants the marketplace to decide what's good or bad, unless people are deciding based on things he thinks they shouldn't be using as criteria, such as political views or shitty business moves like paying for exclusivity.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I can't even parse what he is saying.

It sounds lhe says it's fine if it's from a genuine place but then goes on to say games should be divorced from politics entirely?

I.. obviously disagree but like.. I don't even get what he's trying to say?
What games specifically is he referring to? Legion? I do not think that's a marketing move by the dev team.
He is trying to have it both ways, talking out of both sides of this mouth.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Platforms should be open, says person who bought off publishers and devs for exclusive deals, made an ivory tower of a store, had the client for said store slurp local steam data, and stoked system war bullshit. Also, his comparison of credit cards to platforms is disingenuous as credit cards interchange fees are just one part of income than all of it with stores.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Political comments aside, I don't believe for a second what he said about Google Play. Epic didn't want to fork over 30% and only internal docs will convince me otherwise.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Nah I get it, if it's a part of the story or a part of the key narrative of the game or represents those creating it or their ideas then it's great and encouraged but if the marketing team is just like "put in a girl or a gay guy to score some points with the woman rights activists or lgbtq community" then it's wrong and is just taking advantage of the current political climate.

Basically it needs to be genuine. But I stilldon't fully feel Sweeney is 100% right herebut in this one example I agree
Lame takes like these are the definition of giving an inch taking a mile. Shitheels will twist any form of representation to not be genuine as it suits them regardless of whether it is or not. This sort of thinking doesnt help bolster representation, it helps bolster arguments against it because determining if rep is "genuine" is difficult and spinning a yarn its "just for woke points" is easy.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
I always wonder why these people word things so poorly when it's easy to explain.

Look at Nintendo. They likely think the exact same thing about politics. That doesn't mean fire emblem or something will never have political concepts and real world analogies. It just means Nintendo won't say "china deserves full rights to the South China Sea and any gamer who disagrees should feel bad".

That's how most companies operate and it's not some bizarre controversial stance. We just often hear them word it in a way that sounds more like games won't have ideas about the environment or racism or such topics when most have for decades

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of putting politics in your game, how about you just put some dances in it.

I always wonder why these people word things so poorly when it's easy to explain.

Look at Nintendo. They likely think the exact same thing about politics. That doesn't mean fire emblem or something will never have political concepts and real world analogies. It just means Nintendo won't say "china deserves full rights to the South China Sea and any gamer who disagrees should feel bad".

That's how most companies operate and it's not some bizarre controversial stance. We just often hear them word it in a way that sounds more like games won't have ideas about the environment or racism or such topics when most have for decades

"Game companies shouldn't put politics in games" is not even remotely the same as "the game we made is not political"

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Fine the next Grand Theft Auto, BioShock, any RPG game worth a damn, Call of Duty, or Tom Clancy game is never touching Epic.

Go back to your hole Timmy

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Remember, whenever anyone talks about "taking politics out of games", here's the "politics" they don't want to deal with:

LGBTQ+ Rights and Issues
Minority Rights and Issues
Police and Government Corruption/Human Rights Abuses

Tells you a lot about those people.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
So its like please respect freedom but also please no politics on your games/company

Also, everything is politics.

Everything.

Remember, whenever anyone talks about "taking politics out of games", here's the "politics" they don't want to deal with:

LGBTQ+ Rights and Issues
Minority Rights and Issues
Police and Government Corruption/Human Rights Abuses

Tells you a lot about those people.

Exactly.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington

I'm actually very confused about what he's trying to say. It's unfair to Chik-fil-a employees because the company has a history of funding human rights abuse? Or that it's unfair to drag the company because of the people in the restaurants who have no say in the funding of those abuses?

Regardless, decrying a company for expressing itself or supporting a cause just because it's "not in the mission" or whatever is complete horseshit, because lots of companies will do for social justice/basic human rights purposes. Yes, they do it because it's sensible and good PR, but I still like to see it even if it is cynical and has nothing with whatever they actually sell.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
translation: Please don't speak out against China or our Tencent masters will be mad.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Are the phrases "gamer rights" and "gamer freedoms" dogwhistles?

Also, why should games be apolitical?? That's like saying "keep politics out of movies, music, plays and novels".

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
My favourite parts:

He's positioned himself as a champion of "gamer rights and freedoms".

He's said it's critical the industry moves away from "adversarial models.

"[we need to] give up our attempts to create our own private wall guarden or private monopoly".

Etc.

He uh... He knows he's the head of Epic right?

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
My gamer rights to witness anime tiddies unfettered from the evils of game localization and censorship must never be infringed. Thank you, Mr. Sweeney, for fighting for my gamer freedoms.

Shurp

Nov 29, 2017
venturebeat.com

Tim Sweeney: Android is a fake open system, and iOS is worse

Tim Sweeney, CEO of Epic Games, called on the game industry to be more open and liberate it from the monopolistic practices of platform owners

Android is more dumb open, because it has the play store, and also is completely open.

IOS was never open, he is an idiot for claiming that.

Also should we liberate the industry of other anti-consumer practices while we are at it, like paying publishers for exclusivity for your shitty distribution service?