• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Wait. What are "Gamers' Rights"?

Like, what does that even mean? Do gamers have a separate set of rights from everyone else?

Contrary to popular opinion, I think the internet has actually made people dumber and less informed.

Rather than just being uninformed, people are actively misinformed now. This is a dystonian nightmare.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Isn't this the same as saying "Games should not have stories?" Unless all of your characters are paragons of virtue or sinister mustache twirling villains, any game that makes an attempt at a "living world" will have politics shaped by human experience.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
I like what Sweeney is saying to be honest. The industry should be accepting of both conservative viewpoints and liberal viewpoints. No need to polarize the space
hcay34nls0n21.jpg

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
"Companies should divorce politics from games. Entertainment should take a neutral stance"

1. A thousand years too late.
2. dangerously close to censorship
3. Might be the "Respect China's government" money from Tencent.

StarBot

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I like what Sweeney is saying to be honest. The industry should be accepting of both conservative viewpoints and liberal viewpoints. No need to polarize the space

Your name and icon is a form a "reclaimed" character form a trans webcomic artist that has been used to harassed her and flase positively

The exact type of person who says this kind of crap

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

Like, what does that even mean? Do gamers have a separate set of rights from everyone else?

Contrary to popular opinion, I think the internet has actually made people dumber and less informed.

Rather than just being uninformed, people are actively misinformed now. This is a dystonian nightmare.
That really is what it sounds like right? "Gamer rights" should be considered first and foremost in his mind but he doesn't then realize that "Gamers" also include many marginalized, brutalized and oppressed groups who share the same space, enjoy the same media and yet aren't treated as though their issues, ideals and rights matter or should even be considered by people within the industry beyond if they have enough storefronts/distribution platforms to shop at.

The most charitable way I could see it is as a plea for general consumer rights but that's kind of rich coming from an industry plagued with decades of gross anti-consumer and anti-worker attitudes and practices on top of the general gatekeeping adherence to the status quo that excludes marginalized people that so many media industries in general still have issues with.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

I will forever remember his conversation on h3h3 podcast where he blame Anita from FeministFrequency for the girl's death in Charlottesville. And then fucker went onto say that gay marriage rights should have been postponed for a decade or so until ppl were more accepting.

I despise people who apologize and excuse bigotry as a valid alternative more than actual bigots (and I hate bigots). At least with bigots and non-bigots things are predictable but these centrist motherfuckers stand for nothing and troll for the sake of creating chaos and making a buck. Vile fucking filth.

Oct 27, 2017
That really is what it sounds like right? "Gamer rights" should be considered first and foremost in his mind but he doesn't then realize that "Gamers" also include many marginalized, brutalized and oppressed groups who share the same space, enjoy the same media and yet aren't treated as though their issues, ideals and rights matter or should even be considered by people within the industry beyond if they have enough storefronts/distribution platforms to shop at.

The most charitable way I could see it is as a plea for general consumer rights but that's kind of rich coming from an industry plagued with decades of gross anti-consumer and anti-worker attitudes and practices on top of the general gatekeeping adherence to the status quo that excludes marginalized people that so many media industries in general still have issues with.
I agree with you on everything you've said there. I was more stating what I said rhetorically since it is so absurd on its face.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't put it past Tim Sweeney to try and make his own half-baked smartphone OS and suddenly make Fortnite exclusive to it or whatever.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe if he explained what he meant by gamer rights, we might get a clearer picture.
Maybe it's stuff like:
  • Not using shady techniques to get them to spend more
  • No Pre-order exclusives
  • No Pay-to-Win BS
  • Overall respecting the players' time and money
  • Not being EA
*remembers they use the first of those on Fortnite with kids*
Oop.

StarBot

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Get in line, I'm still waiting on Dragon Quest discussion to be banned. Neither will happen, of course.
Banning DQ discussion because the composer is a racist clown?
kotaku.com

Politician Made Anti-LGBTQ Comments On Dragon Quest Composer's TV Show

Japanese politician Mio Sugita has made international news due to her anti-LGBTQ comments on a television show. The program is co-hosted by Koichi Sugiyama, who composes music for the Dragon Quest games.
He's little more than racist clown. He's funding organizations of war crime denials.
Then ban the discussion of the soundtrack then? I'm not entirely sure why bring down the whole series over something that can be easily replaced

Druida

Nov 22, 2017
Well, I think similar to him or it depends on the case.
For example, if I play GT SPORT or Horizon 4, I don't want to see in the game how serious the contamination of cars is for the human being, let me drive my Ferrari F40 in silence.

I have a job, a family, let me disconnect for two hours.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a Gamer (tm) it's good to have my rights taken care of. Thanks Tim.

We forgive you, King.

/s

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
On the topic of banning discussion of Dragon Quest because of the composer, at that point we might as well ban discussion of almost everything. Dante's VA in DMC V is a transphobic piece of shit, no talking about that game. There's probably dozens of game developers who are awful people that we don't know about. It just comes off as absurd.
Maybe if he explained what he meant by gamer rights, we might get a clearer picture.
Maybe it's stuff like:
  • Not using shady techniques to get them to spend more
  • No Pre-order exclusives
  • No Pay-to-Win BS
  • Overall respecting the players' time and money
  • Not being EA
*remembers they use the first of those on Fortnite with kids*
Oop.
Yeah, I don't think Sweeney is in any position to talk about "Gamer Rights", given both how Fortnite is monetized, and how the Epic Games Store has been handled.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I like what Sweeney is saying to be honest. The industry should be accepting of both conservative viewpoints and liberal viewpoints. No need to polarize the space.
Mods
Come on
Like be serious
Are you really going to look at this post, look at this persons posting history and look at this person's literal username and just sit on it until they inevitably say something extremely heinous? Like there's gotta be a rule for obvious troll accounts right? If there isn't then maybe there should be

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
It's always straight white men that don't want politics in media, despite all media being infested with their viewpoint.

Exactly. Their political view point in having has been the default and standard since forever and they're the ones who scream the loudest about "keeping politics out of gaming" which is to say they don't want minority characters, women, LGBTQ in their games.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I think similar to him or it depends on the case.
For example, if I play GT SPORT or Horizon 4, I don't want to see in the game how serious the contamination of cars is for the human being, let me drive my Ferrari F40 in silence.

I have a job, a family, let me disconnect for two hours.
No one is saying that every game needs a political message, but saying that all games shouldn't have (or shouldn't be marketed on, or whatever other trollish skating someone wants to do) is the issue.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Oh right, that too. Horrible person.

But no reason to ban the entire DQ discussion. That's going overboard.

Welcome to ResetEra gif.

Luckily the mods and admins chimed in quickly that there will be no censorship of DQ discussions. While their are a lot of dicks in the video game industry, Sugiyama does indeed take it to new level though. But that doesn't warrant a complete ban on a frachise. Otherwise we'd be banning a lot of shit here.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will forever remember his conversation on h3h3 podcast where he blame Anita from FeministFrequency for the girl's death in Charlottesville. And then fucker went onto say that gay marriage rights should have been postponed for a decade or so until ppl were more accepting.

I despise people who apologize and excuse bigotry as a valid alternative more than actual bigots (and I hate bigots). At least with bigots and non-bigots things are predictable but these centrist motherfuckers stand for nothing and troll for the sake of creating chaos and making a buck. Vile fucking filth.
Its not bigots and non bigots. Its bigots and the uncaring (because they benefit from the status quo).

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
The manifestation of the desire of straight white men to be oppressed.
It's funny how much this is the source of so much modern bigotry. The people with the privilege are so fundamentally against just changing their behavior to treat the disenfranchised equally and with respect that they desire instead to invent a false reality of their own oppression to justify never having to change for the better. "No one else is oppressed! In fact, oppression ended with Martin Luther King's death! Actually it's us that are oppressed and the real issue is that minorities aren't listening to our demands to be treated humanely!"

Feb 24, 2018
Like the loot box bit is sound and surprised to hear anyone top of the game industry say that or draw attention to the fomo used in selling stuff.

The rest though? Like what?! Making political statement and respecting gamer rights (what does that even mean exactly?) and then say not to be political?

Also isn't Fortnite on iOS and Android?

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Also isn't Fortnite on iOS and Android?
Do as I say, not as I do, I guess

Imagine someone saying this about movies or books or music.
Hell there are already people who do. People who rant about the "SJW agenda" in regards to films led by minorities or efforts to diversify books and TV. All across different forms of media there are people just like Sweeney who think catering politically to anyone but themselves is heresy and impurity and an entire cottage industry is built around it. It's just all the more sad when the people pulling the levers at the different industries make it clear that they have the same regressive mindset around their own medium.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The manifestation of the desire of straight white men to be oppressed.
It's funny how much this is the source of so much modern bigotry. The people with the privilege are so fundamentally against just changing their behavior to treat the disenfranchised equally and with respect that they desire instead to invent a false reality of their own oppression to justify never having to change for the better. "No one else is oppressed! In fact, oppression ended with Martin Luther King's death! Actually it's us that are oppressed and the real issue is that minorities aren't listening to our demands to be treated humanely!"

It's always great when a series of posts frames a topic in a way you hadn't considered before and gets you to sit up and say "well, damn, there it is." Just wish the reality of it wasn't so depressing.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Some people will focus on the fact you're the "fair" one and the "intolerant left" are telling you to fuck off for it.

When right-wing views are about the suppression of minorities, classism, feeding the rich, etc...and the far-right ultimate view is genocide... "fuck off" is a kind way to put it.

If you read the quoted post and thought "hey, good point! Era is so extremist and intolerant!", google: the paradox of tolerance.