• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 44122

not a lot of confidence for other games to widely support it then :/

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
The easiest way would be putting Fortnite on Steam, it's never happening. Can't blame them either.
I imagine almost all Steam games will work somehow or another. It's just going to be your other launchers that probably won't. They have no incentive to.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
That reason in the second tweet sounds like bs lol.
"We are unsure the anticheat solution that we are selling and saying it would work great in Linux would work great to our standards" (our standards still have cheating right now)

I mean, Fortnite is not on Steam so they have 0 desire to support anything that would make a Steam branded device better lol.
Even their original implementation of Proton support for EAC was basically a "good luck actually supporting it" as it required you to use the newest version that had to run with Epic Online Systems (not EAC standalone)

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising given that Fortnite isn't on Steam. I imagine if you're gonna play it, you're either gonna have to fiddle with Proton/WINE, or install Windows on the Steam Deck to run non-Steam games.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, Fortnite isn't on Steam or Linux for that matter.
Considering Tim Sweeny's track record when tweeting, I presume the actual reason is the belief that Proton support would require listing the game on Steam. I'm doubtful this is accurate (Proton is open source, I'm not sure there's anything that would prevent Epic from implementing it into the Epic Games Client), but this is Tim Sweeny we're talking about, so who knows.

Also, nice job burying your own subsidiary, Timmy.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Fortnite isn't on Steam, I don't see why they'd rush to put it out on Steam hardware

Because it's Linux. An open source OS with zero royalties. But closed platforms are better. So fuck making their software tools work properly with it. We all know closed platforms provide the superior option for gamers.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
But he has confidence that EAC will be able to combat cheatign on Linux in other non-Fortnite games? That second tweet doesn't make any sense to me unless Fortnite is doing some extra anti-cheat things beyond EAC (or he's just making excuses).

Last edited:

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
Didn't Tim Sweeney approve of the steam deck because it wasn't locked down and gave users choice?

"no not like that"

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Sounds like his usual BS. I'm sure they'd get the game working just fine if they were currently supporting Steam.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Considering Tim Sweeny's track record when tweeting, I presume the actual reason is the belief that Proton support would require listing the game on Steam.
I think he just plainly doesn't want his cash cow appearing on Steam or even Steam branded devices. I'm not sure what sort of blackmail Valve used to get Epic actually do shit in regards of EAC lol. His statement about cheating is most likely bs tho.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Tim always has big problem with Linux. He has on multiple occasions crapped on Microsoft and Windows but he has always been 100% loyal to that platform and has taken a stand not to support Linux as if Linux did something to him or something. Way back in the day they use to support Linux with games like Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 but then he completely cut support for Linux and has been cagey about Linux support ever since.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The cognitive dissonance is so intense it's melting his brain

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Couldn't you just install windows and play it that way?
Yep. Whether that's a good idea remains to be seen (there's a bunch of customisations being added to the Steam OS to make the handheld experience better, which likely won't be officially replicated in Windows), but if you absolutely want Fortnite on Deck (and don't want to use Geforce Now or streaming from another gaming PC) installing Windows will be the way to go.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Makes sense. In other threads we call all developers who don't solve cheating "lazy developers", and cross-play with platforms where cheating hasn't been solved as "game-ruining", so as much as it sucks his opinion here fits right in with the general consensus.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Considering Tim Sweeny's track record when tweeting, I presume the actual reason is the belief that Proton support would require listing the game on Steam. I'm doubtful this is accurate (Proton is open source, I'm not sure there's anything that would prevent Epic from implementing it into the Epic Games Client), but this is Tim Sweeny we're talking about, so who knows.

Also, nice job burying your own subsidiary, Timmy.
That would require Epic's client to support Linux at all, which it currently doesn't sadly.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
But he has confidence that EAC will be able to combat cheatign on Linux in other non-Fortnite games? That second tweet doesn't make any sense to me unless Fortnite is doing some extra anti-cheat things beyond EAC (or he's just making excuses).

EAC isn't one thing, it's a collection of tools that a developer can use, and they can tolerate certain levels of risk factors in certain areas.

He's saying that the EAC framework is having compatibility work done on it, but that doesn't mean it will tell developers the answers they require about a given system, because some features are missing on a linux kernel.

It is exactly the same as how Netflix limits streaming on Chrome to Windows to 720 but permits 1080 on Chromebooks. They both use Widevine DRM, but the DRM system provides information to Netflix about what security features are available on that device (such as encrypting the video path) and the provider makes decisions about which of those things they're willing to tolerate the risk on and which they are not.

So the EAC framework will function, but there are certain things that Epic believes it needs to support for Fortnite that will come back as unsupported when the framework runs.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
The original question was supporting the Deck through Linux. I'd imagine that had they been asked just about supporting the Deck they'd have suggested to install Windows 10/11 on it and play that way. Doesn't really make sense to make that kind of commitment to Linux just for Deck support. Then again if the Deck takes off and sells enough units they'll probably sing a different tune.

The thread title is kind of misleading since he's talking specifically about supporting the Deck through Linux. Who knows what they'd do for Windows support if anything. I'd imagine that Epic has to be doing at least something Deck related since a lot of their partners will want sell their UE games for Deck use.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm assuming that a Windows OS install on a Steam Deck wouldn't have any unique incompatibility, this is just a question for native support under Linux/SteamOS/Proton?

collige

Oct 31, 2017
EAC isn't one thing, it's a collection of tools that a developer can use, and they can tolerate certain levels of risk factors in certain areas.

He's saying that the EAC framework is having compatibility work done on it, but that doesn't mean it will tell developers the answers they require about a given system, because some features are missing on a linux kernel.

It is exactly the same as how Netflix limits streaming on Chrome to Windows to 720 but permits 1080 on Chromebooks. They both use Widevine DRM, but the DRM system provides information to Netflix about what security features are available on that device (such as encrypting the video path) and the provider makes decisions about which of those things they're willing to tolerate the risk on and which they are not.

So the EAC framework will function, but there are certain things that Epic believes it needs to support for Fortnite that will come back as unsupported when the framework runs.
Well then my next question is what specific EAC features is Fortnite using that aren't going to be ported to Linux and what other non-Fortnite games use them? Because regardless of how it's being implemented, he's clearly positioning Fortnite's use case as being unique from other games that use EAC's framework in a (soon to be) Linux compatible way.

Like, it's weird to say that Linux prevents them from providing a good experience with their flagship game then turn around and say that other similar games that do use EAC "at scale" like R6 Siege and Apex will be fine. What makes Fortnite so special?

Edit: Valve's post about EAC/Proton support also says that "adding Steam Deck support to your existing EAC games is now a simple process, and doesn't require updating game binaries, SDK versions, or integration of EOS" without mentioning any specific feature exceptions, which definitely makes it seem like like they are treating EAC support like one thing.

Last edited:

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Yep. Whether that's a good idea remains to be seen (there's a bunch of customisations being added to the Steam OS to make the handheld experience better, which likely won't be officially replicated in Windows), but if you absolutely want Fortnite on Deck (and don't want to use Geforce Now or streaming from another gaming PC) installing Windows will be the way to go.
Yeah that's probably the route I'm taking, but not for Fortnite. I'm making the deck my Gamepass handheld.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
I mean, Fortnite is not on Steam so they have 0 desire to support anything that would make a Steam branded device better lol.
Imagine a world where Epic starts shipping hardware to compete with Steam, and what that'd do to their legal arguments against Apple. Potentially miss out on an emerging market, or shoot your legal campaign in the foot.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Regardless of the reason *cough excuse*, this was expected. Epic aren't putting their bread and butter aka fortnite onto a rival platform.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
Tim is consistently an idiot, I don't know how so many folks consistently buy into his bullshit.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Imagine a world where Epic starts shipping hardware to compete with Steam, and what that'd do to their legal arguments against Apple. Potentially miss out on an emerging market, or shoot your legal campaign in the foot.
As badass as I think the Steam Deck is, I don't think its wise for other companies to follow. It's not going to sell tens of millions. It makes sense for Valve, they already were working on the software to get games on Linux.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, them turning around and going "look, we can support a hardware ecosystem with a 12% cut" would unironically be one of their better legal arguments (even if said hardware ecosystem cribbed heavily from what Valve is doing).

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Do they want to do their own EPIC DECK where cheating won't be a problem, and the only way to buy games is the epic store?

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
People could always dual boot Windows. The Steam Deck is just a PC.

I do hate that they are going out of their way not to support the Steam Deck. I feel the reasoning they gave is somewhat disingenuous. My general understanding is limited, but I'm curious how they are going out of their way to make sure EAC is compatible and functional in Linux, but then argue that people having the freedom to choose kernels makes anti cheat support difficult/impossible in Fortnite? Isn't the to tool with kernel level permissions EAC itself?