• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Well when you announce your new engine with marketing deal speak of course there will be people who get confused

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
People actually believing, even now and here, that the demo can't be done on XSX or PC due to PS5 SSD speed and "secret sauce" are genuinenly cringey to read, and there's not much to add or reply to them at this point.

Yea it's weird.

1: XSX SSD is plenty fast for what you saw on the demo.

2: There's no way that 6 months before launch the PS5's SSD speed is close to being maxed out to the point where that demo couldn't run on XSX.

3: Marketing deal. And this is purely speculation but I smell something brewing between Epic and Sony. Sweenie debuts UE5 on PS5. Sony puts some of it's games on the Epic store. We all know that's an inevitability.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand chinese, but if that's what he said it's thread worthy
I don't understand it either but it does makes sense considering a mobile 2080 is in the range of a desktop 2070, which is similar in terms of GPU performance to a PS5. And as speculated, a normal NVMe SSD will be fine considering PC still has DRAM to make up for the lack of SSD bandwidth.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Well maybe it's a more nuanced difference, it's hard to state definitively or they just don't know how it would look on XSX as this was specifically developed to PS5. Sony's strategy this time definitely isn't to take jabs at the competition.

We will find out in due time, and until then it's impossible to say.
Because it has two big PS4 games to sell. You think there is no reason that the PS5 wasn't properly revealed yet? The Cerny talk wasn't for consumers
Well that does make a lot of sense to me.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Very interesting:

www.reddit.com

r/XboxSeriesX - UE5 tech demo on a RTX 2080 & 970 EVO Plus notebook is 1440p40

140 votes and 542 comments so far on Reddit
Epic China engineers' interview, if you know Chinese you can confirm it by yourself.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1kK411W7fK

• 53:00, he said his notebook could run at 1440p 40fps+, optimization target is 60fps for next-gen.
  • 2:08:00, SSD bandwidth (for the flying part) isn't as that high as ppl said, not need a stricted spec SSD (decent SSD is ok).
  • Someone at TGFCer forum said, the engineer just confirmed to him: RTX 2080 GPU notebook but forgot the exact SSD model, maybe 970 EVO Plus. (http://club.tgfcer.com/thread-8307013-7-1.html 94th post)

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
People actually believing, even now and here, that the demo can't be done on XSX or PC due to PS5 SSD speed and "secret sauce" are genuinenly cringey to read, and there's not much to add or reply to them at this point.
that's where I'm sitting right now. The next gen console wars this time around are unbearably weird and petty

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I don't understand it either but it does makes sense considering a mobile 2080 is in the range of a desktop 2070, which is similar in terms of GPU performance to a PS5. And as speculated, a normal NVMe SSD will be fine considering PC still has DRAM to make up for the lack of SSD bandwidth.
The information is great and really provides further evidence that something was off. I wish developers would show these demos on many devices and make them publicly available like Crytek did with their RT demo on PC.

Wether the dodging was, because of a marketing deal or not is up in the air. But as someone buying multiple consoles and a PC it's interesting to see how these devices can run a demo and I am frustrated when demos of all things are used for marketing or many details kept secret.

armadillopoke

Banned
May 14, 2020
that's where I'm sitting right now. The next gen console wars this time around are unbearably weird and petty
When the performance delta between the next-gen hardware is smaller than it's ever been and the hardware is virtually standardised parts in most respects, console war battlelines have to be drawn on the most esoteric lines. :)

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This part is very interesting:

"The Unreal Engine 5 demo on PlayStation 5 was the culmination of years of discussions between Sony and Epic on future graphics and storage architectures."

So Epic has contribuited to the PS5 Development and UE5 has been developped with the PS5 in mind. 🤔
It doesn't sound at all as a only-marketing deal to me.
In your quote it says UE5 demo, not UE5. And Epic speaks to all platform holders and GPU manufacturers. And has done for many years. And of course Microsoft too given UE has to run via DirectX on both PC and Xbox, and will need to leverage DX12U features for UE5. It does sound like an agreed soundbite as part of a marketing deal. It was clear as day that the showcase only mentioning PS5 was a marketing deal.

UE5 has been developed with every platform in mind. The reason why engines like UE4 and Unity are so popular is because of their scalability to multiple platforms.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The removal of bottlenecks both consoles worked on wasn't shown in this demo and we won't know until PS6/Xbox Next arrive what their bottlenecks were.

This is the same cycle all over again. PS4 and Xbox One had no bottlenecks aswell and we know how that turned out. I think those consoles are stunning and well above PS4/Xbox One during their launch respectively, but you aren't designing a 500$ console without bottlenecks entirely.

For now we know the demo runs at dynamic 1440p on PS5 and according to Epic it scales with compute..
Agree and I'd like to know the requirements for the demo.
Not the brute force bullshit again :(
Umm... No. Sorry, we ALWAYS knew even before release the garbage Jag cores were obselete and would be the source of major bottlenecks. I remember that being discussed on the old place and alot on Semi Accurate where it was put that devs will have a problem unless they leverage GPGPU because this was a generation of GPUs on a stick. What we didn't know was the HDD was the biggest bottleneck after that.

This time.. yeah, this time I think we hit jackpot with SSDs, but especially the PS5 SSD.

But yes, we always knew Jag cores will be a problem, but that garbage was all Sony and MS had within budget.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The bigger news from that Chinese devs interview is that they want this demo running at 60fps
Yep that's incredible. 60FPS with that fidelity is insanity.
This time.. yeah, this time I think we hit jackpot with SSDs, but especially the PS5 SSD.

But yes, we always knew Jag cores will be a problem, but that garbage was all Sony and MS had within budget.
The jaguar were shit and we knew this, but my point was that developers talked about removing bottlenecks with PS4 and Xbox One, too. I think the XsX and PS5 are the most balanced consoles yet, but I am sure developers will still hit bottlenecks which will be erased with PS6 and Xbox Next.

What about the small RAM increase for example? What about the RAM bandwidth or RT capabilities? What about machine learning?

Last edited:

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
Very interesting:

www.reddit.com

Thank you.
Finally something tangible so that this can be put to rest. I was scared we'd see this baseless speculation continue endlessly.
When the performance delta between the next-gen hardware is smaller than it's ever been and the hardware is virtually standardised parts in most respects, console war battlelines have to be drawn on the most esoteric lines. :)
Yeah.

Fahro

Oct 27, 2017
The bigger news from that Chinese devs interview is that they want this demo running at 60fps

yeah, if it's possible to have Games with similar quality on the new consoles at 60fps I'm really impressed.
that will take some time though.

I hope that well get some stunning games like Killzone or infamous at launch or soon after like last time

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Very interesting:

www.reddit.com

giphy.gif

Not remotely surprised either. But what about the secret sauce!?

Deleted member 65994

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 14, 2020
Umm... No. Sorry, we ALWAYS knew even before release the garbage Jag cores were obselete and would be the source of major bottlenecks. I remember that being discussed on the old place and alot on Semi Accurate where it was put that devs will have a problem unless they leverage GPGPU because this was a generation of GPUs on a stick. What we didn't know was the HDD was the biggest bottleneck after that.

I guess the jaguar cpu where chosen (beside budget reasons ofcourse), because there were no plants for a ps4 pro on xbox one x at the moment. I think in the end that the ps4 did a solid job as a 1080@30 machine.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being able to run on a 500MB/s SSD would fit with the engineers saying it gets awesome performance on a pcc

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where is this nonsense about this possible deal coming from?

Couldn't it just as easily be possible that as usual Cerny shopped around developers (and obviously engine makers) while picking what needed to be focused on and towards the end with near-final hardware Epi approached sony and said, hey, we want to make a demo for thePS5 to show off our new Unreal engine?

This is a multiplatform engine demo for crying out loud. Why would sony be making some sort of deal for it? Are peopelforgeting tat Epic and sony has a very long history together? Like Unreal tournament released on the PS2 but not on the Xbox, Unrealengie 3 was revealed on the PS stage even though epic was making a game for Xbox.

Ths deal mongering has to stop lol.

Peek the Xbox thread for your answer. They been wildin' in there.

xKLpno2.gif

May 10, 2019
I'd like to know what people thought in that demo couldn't be possible on the X?

Going by this thread alone, the last 40s of the demo. The flying & building destruction and how fluid it all was. People now saying because of Sonys SSD/IO that XSX might not/couldn't achieve the same results.

For me, as it's been said many times by others, I need to see the games in all their glory running on both systems with actual real gameplay as well before I comment on either system

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Ignoring all the Series X talk, if only PS5 could run that demo Epic, Sony or both would have said as much.

The idea that Epic would make a demo that no current PC can run is one I can't really get my head around. That they'd use that demo to try and convince devs to leverage the technology is even harder for me to believe.

No one knows yet where the bottlenecks are going to be in these new systems. Sony have done a lot of impressive work to ensure storage is rarely, if ever, a bottleneck, but I'm not taking more away from it than that.

The PS5 isn't bottlenecked at 1440p and 30fps in this demo by its ssd speed. From what Epic have said, it's limited to that by its GPU.

PS5 will certainly have faster loading times. We may even see advantages in titles that rely on streaming in assets, but it's unrealistic to think the GPU and CPU can process that data quickly enough that you can be continuously loading at full bandwidth.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Very interesting:

www.reddit.com

Given that the source of the info is /r/XboxSeriesX, I'd like an independent translation and verification that the streamer in question is indeed high up in the Epic's engineering division. However, if we can establish that the info is accurate, and that the demo is runnable as-is using a Samsung 970 Evo, then it's 100% threadworthy, as it would mean that the Xbox Series X would absolutely run the demo as shown.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The idea of forcing PC players to NVMe SSD never really made sense to me. I believe this tech will scale across a wide different of hard drives. You see HDDs are still common and only SATA SSDs get traction right now, NVMe not so much.

From the PS5, to Xbox Series X, to PC PCIe Gen 4 to PCIe Gen 3 to SATA SSD, I believe it will look amazing and much better than anything we have current gen, regardless of what SSD you have. That is the purpose of a multiplatform engine feature, to scale.

However, this tech is just impossible to scale to regular HDDs, so PC players should definately upgrade.

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously some people still denying the implications of super fast I/O configuration advantages on PS5 are going to have rough generation ahead.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Going by this thread alone, the last 40s of the demo. The flying & building destruction and how fluid it all was. People now saying because of Sonys SSD/IO that XSX might not/couldn't achieve the same results.

For me, as it's been said many times by others, I need to see the games in all their glory running on both systems with actual real gameplay as well before I comment on either system
Yeah, time will tell.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think some people in this thread appear not to understand the concept of scaling (which is ironic because that's something many have been talking about a lot lately). Of course the demo is going to run on lesser devices. It has to. Unreal is a multiplatform engine that has to scale with hardware, otherwise how else is Epic supposed to promote it as a flexible and accessible game engine?

The question isn't whether lesser hardware CAN run it, but what sort of scaling takes place when it does, eg what impact a slower SSD has on asset streaming density, draw distance, visuals etc if any, and what sort of performance difference lower hardware gets too. The cutbacks to get it running on lesser hardware could be dramatic, and likewise they may not be. That's what remains to be seen.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
But its a lot lot slower compare to the ps5. Like a lot
Both are probably far past the point where the difference is going to be noticeable.

To make a garbage analogy (it's not an Era thread without one), it doesn't matter what the top speed of your car is if you're always stuck in traffic. PS5 games aren't going to be reading/writing at 5GB/s frequently. The rare times that it will be likely can be optimized around on the Xbox port (whether that means 1s loading screen turns into 2s, or a handful of assets get compressed).

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
So it'd make even less sense? You where clearly trying to downplaying it as nothing more than secret sauce, a "/s" would imply the opposite.

You're taking way more from this than you need to be. It was a joke about how much people hype up the SSD as this almighty component that will be the savior of game design and make games unplayable on other platforms. It's a great SSD, but the amount of fear-mongering since its announcement has been utterly laughable.

But go ahead and keep making this about something it isn't. I won't be responding anymore.