• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I must have dreamed the existence of Windows S...
Windows S wasn't made for you. It was made for people who end installing 20 toolbars because an ad on a website told them to.

google are trash for the seven days thing btw
Google has done this before to MS over security bugs in Windows. They have an arbitrary timer and once that timer is up they publish the bug whether or not it was fixed. In many cases MS was working on a fix, but needed time to bug test the fix.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Tim hates the Windows Store, so surely that'd mean no iOS release of Fortnite, right? Of course not, because Tim likes money, and he'll set aside any reservations he has against a closed platform when he has no other means of reaching that platform. I mean, it's not like it'd make sense for Tim to uphold his strict standards and just, I dunno...release the game first on Android, the main competitor to iOS that happens to be a HELL OF A LOT MORE OPEN. Anyway, the Android release of Fortnite is where things get even more interested.
As side note, consoles are as much of a closed platform as iOS, so I'd guess they are just being treated the same for having the same single store restriction.

Last edited:

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
And this is scaremongering at this point, since it's extremely unlikely that either Android or Windows will become a closed ecosystem.

And yet, you can only buy Microsofts core games in the WinStore as a locked down and encrypted UWP app. Sweeney has stated many times that he doesn't want this to become the future of PC gaming, and I strongly agree with him on this matter.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And yet, you can only buy Microsofts core games in the WinStore as a locked down and encrypted UWP app. Sweeney has stated many times that he doesn't want this to become the future of PC gaming, and I strongly agree with him on this matter.
Did he ever say anything about why he doesn't seem to care about Linux?

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Google having such a short window between discovery of the vulnerability and open disclosure of the vulnerability is unprofessional if the reason they did so with such a short time period was purely to shame Epic and provide a warning to others thinking of "self publishing" on Android.
If the exploit had actually already been encountered in the wild by malicious actors independently of Googles vulnerability tests, then public disclosure was the responsible action.

I have no idea which of the two scenarios occurred, so I can't really say whether Google were pulling a dick move or not here.

Nov 12, 2017
What the news ? is clear that Tim Sweeney have a thing against Ms....at this point is impossible to take his words as unbiased

Norse

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Norway
If he really cared they would only release Fortnite on open platforms (PC and Android) to push people to open platforms. But, Epic cares more about money than the open/closed platform issue.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
What the news ? is clear that Tim Sweeney have a thing against Ms....at this point is impossible to take his words as unbiased

Why would he be unbiased? He hates the direction that windows is headed. That's not an unbiased opinion. It's a biased opinion based on what he knows.

So the next question is .. why does he have to be unbiased?

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Thoughts? Every since Tim came out against UWP, we've been having these kind of threads focusing on Tim specifically more and more. As if Epic is solely Tim.
And why would anyone other than MS support that hot garbage that is the current Windows Store? For the majority, it simply isn't worth the time and effort.

Nov 12, 2017
Why would he be unbiased? He hates the direction that windows is headed. That's not an unbiased opinion. It's a biased opinion based on what he knows.

So the next question is .. why does he have to be unbiased?

he must be biased indeed...and it's right this way...but clearly it can not be taken as someone who judges the thing above the parts.
On the opennes part of the problem is like a dog biting its own tail...
it is clear that releasing fortnite on iOS most of his excuses on why he does not want to release the game on google store and windows store go to bless..
but obviously it is their choice .. at the same time I do not see any problem when google ... makes a fool epic about the vulnerability
It is very true that operating systems such as windows and android have succeeded in establishing themselves on the market thanks to their openness, but it is at the same time evident that they have won not only thanks to that....I say, the biggest reason why windows is there ... is because on windows there was Ms office not because Epic or any other company who developed software for the platform (and to be clear saying this im not downplaying any contribution that all developers and software house have given and give to platforms such as windows and android)
Exploit the reach of an operating system like android and windows without ascertaining the fact that it is thanks to them that probably the epic is what it is today .... it is at the same time disappointing Tim sweeney has been spitting on the plate where he has eaten abundantly and that's why I stopped taking him seriously

if Tim wants to be taken seriously about it ... that it starts developing only for linux

Last edited:

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Sweeney has said making Windows closed would be bad for developers and bad for users. And Epic has...not supported the Windows store. Where is the contradiction?

If you want to point out any quotes of Sweeney saying no one should ever support any closed platform, feel free. Otherwise this is like saying someone who drives a car with a traditional internal-combustion engine can't speak about the dangers of climate change. They acknowledge the problem, but sometime allowances just need to be made to the realities of their world.
Technically not true since Shadow Complex Remastered was released there :P

Edit: I see someone else already said this, but I typed it as a joke anyways. Pretty sure I read Tim say that there was "prior deals" or something on why it's there...likely reaching back to something related to MS publishing it during the 360 days

Last edited:

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
(sigh)
Okay, here's an analogy for those of you that don't get it.

Netflix are pro-net neutrality. They want an Open internet.
They don't want "open internet" in the sense that you can right click download anything and keep your own copy.
They don't want "open internet" so if they invent and patent a new video compression algorithm everyone else can use it freely with no acknowledgment or payment.
They don't want "open internet" so you can FTP into a CDN with your free month trial username and password and download their entire content database for your own plex server.
They don't want "open internet" so you can stream you 'watching' all of the Netflix original marvels TV shows on Twitch and archive on Youtube.

They will try and stop all of those things happening, no mater how much you scream all of those things are "open".

They want an "open internet" so that the company that has a monopoly on the delivery of their service - comcast - cannot look at your internet use, see that its netflix, then throttle it down to a shitty 480p stream while trying to sell you their own 4k stream instead.

Plot twist.
Comcast are Microsoft.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he must be biased indeed...and it's right this way...but clearly it can not be taken as someone who judges the thing above the parts.
On the opennes part of the problem is like a dog biting its own tail...
it is clear that releasing fortnite on iOS most of his excuses on why he does not want to release the game on google store and windows store go to bless..
but obviously it is their choice .. at the same time I do not see any problem when google ... makes a fool epic about the vulnerability
It is very true that operating systems such as windows and android have succeeded in establishing themselves on the market thanks to their openness, but it is at the same time evident that they have won not only thanks to that....I say, the biggest reason why windows is there ... is because on windows there was Ms office not because Epic or any other company who developed software for the platform (and to be clear saying this im not downplaying any contribution that all developers and software house have given and give to platforms such as windows and android)
Exploit the reach of an operating system like android and windows without ascertaining the fact that it is thanks to them that probably the epic is what it is today .... it is at the same time disappointing Tim sweeney has been spitting on the plate where he has eaten abundantly and that's why I stopped taking him seriously

if Tim wants to be taken seriously about it ... that it starts developing only for linux

Ayy LMAO!

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
(sigh)
Okay, here's an analogy for those of you that don't get it.

Netflix are pro-net neutrality. They want an Open internet.
They don't want "open internet" in the sense that you can right click download anything and keep your own copy.
They don't want "open internet" so if they invent and patent a new video compression algorithm everyone else can use it freely with no acknowledgment or payment.
They don't want "open internet" so you can FTP into a CDN with your free month trial username and password and download their entire content database for your own plex server.
They don't want "open internet" so you can stream you 'watching' all of the Netflix original marvels TV shows on Twitch and archive on Youtube.

They will try and stop all of those things happening, no mater how much you scream all of those things are "open".

They want an "open internet" so that the company that has a monopoly on the delivery of their service - comcast - cannot look at your internet use, see that its netflix, then throttle it down to a shitty 480p stream while trying to sell you their own 4k stream instead.

Plot twist.
Comcast are Microsoft.
Except Comcast isn't demanding a 30% cut of Netflix sales made while using their service to buy more Netflix.

OP
OP
kubev

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
You are doing this to everyone on this thread that disagrees with you, saying that only those who agree are the ones who read everything.
I respond this way when people ask questions that're already addressed within the OP. I wouldn't expect everyone to read the entire thread, but the answer to that person's question was right in the OP. And appending various points I've made throughout the thread will only make the OP longer, meaning that fewer people would read the OP.

Because Epic has to give 30% to MS in that scenario. In addition it does harm users by locking down an open platform (PC) to a shitty closed storefront (Win Store with it's myriad associated issues)

OP's post doesn't make sense. Epic is consistent. If it's an open platform they will go their own way without engaging 3rd party storefronts. If the platforms are fully enclosed then they will use the platform's store such as PS4, Switch, Xbox and iOS.

So the premise is OP's post which clearly pushing Windows Store is simply either disingenuous or silly. Windows Store is not necessary and considering minuscule amount of customers it's not worth the effort (or the income cut).

Windows store is trash. Nobody should be supporting it in any way as long as it is trash. Good on Tim.

Oh, I agree. The OP's point doesn't make sense since the Windows store isnt owed any release from Epic or any other developer. makes financial sense to keep the 30%.

I really don't see the problem here. I never heard Tim Sweeney state that he was against iOS or "closed" platforms. I believe what he didn't want was Microsoft to change Windows so you could only install apps through the Windows Store. I do not think that is a controversial opinion and I think everyone (including everyone at MS) agrees that allowing non-Windows store apps is a good thing.

BTW, iOS probably got support first because iOS is a more profitable platform. I am confused about why you are outraged that Epic makes rational business decisions.

I'm totally cool with Epic using an actual open platform to do business as they wish. On iOS, and consoles too, they have no choice, those are locked down platforms, so your comparison is totally moot.
On PC and on Android, they make use of their own popularity and the freedom given to them by the platform to maximize their profits. Not every developer could do this, so having a centralized store (Google Play, or Steam and other clients on PC) is still good, but I appreciate that no one is forced to any one Store.

As for "security": I assume OP that you are not aware how often literal malware and spyware is shipped via the Play Store, until Google reacts? The fact that Epic fixed the vulnerability so quickly shows that they care about security.

All platforms have the possibility to be compromised in some way, including Google's very own Play Store (which has had malicious content in the past). However, Epic's decision to force users to sideload the game while disabling device security functionality (on Android), given the target audience of the game, is seriously irresponsible.

No one in their right mind would choose to make the primary content delivery service for their game the Windows Store. Its a buggy, broken, slow and ultimately not very popular piece of junk.

I strongly disagree with your post OP. There is no open platform on Apples devices, but there is on Windows and Android so it makes sense to support these. Also, I can't praise Sweeney enough to stand up against the Windows Store and Microsofts efforts to push PC gaming into a walled garden. If Microsofts ends up improving UWP and their store, it's thanks to people like him, and not thanks to people using the store in it's current state anyway.

Yeah my implication was that it will stop being trash once MS abandons their UWP nonsense (at least for games on it) as well as fixes its general usability and interface.

As said many times before in this thread: on PC and Android he has a choice, on Apple devices and consoles he hasn't. He never said that all closed ecosystems are bad. He just doesn't want to see the few open ecosystems left being closed, and I fully support him for this.

And that completely ignores the end point of this. And why Epic is right to refuse the Windows Store (for their own selfish reasons). If the Windows store does take off and become the standard way for gamers to purchase items, it'll be the end of all other platforms. UWP will become the default standard and lock everyone else out. Steam being the market leader has no effect on Ubi running Uplay. UWP becoming the standard does.

Thoughts? Every since Tim came out against UWP, we've been having these kind of threads focusing on Tim specifically more and more. As if Epic is solely Tim.
And why would anyone other than MS support that hot garbage that is the current Windows Store? For the majority, it simply isn't worth the time and effort.

It's crazy how many people are stuck on the Windows Store aspect of this conversation, given the fact that I only listed it first because it was chronologically the first thing relevant to my argument. The developer can still distribute an installer for UWP apps outside of the store. I'm aware that Epic doesn't owe Microsoft anything as far as Windows Store releases go, but I want to point out that UWP allows you to side-load apps, meaning that releasing an app on Windows Store doesn't mean that you can only install that game from the Windows Store. Lastly, I understand that releasing an app (or game) on the Windows Store doesn't make sense if you're developing exclusively for it, but adapting a win32 app for release on Windows Store isn't the ordeal that a lot of people think it is.

Wait, is Tim Sweeney calling ALL the shots as to where and how Fortnite is released?!

This. Unless this is true, OP is just shooting hyperbole out his ass.
No, but he's CEO, and I'd expect what a CEO says to even vaguely mirror the actions of the company for which he/she is CEO. Surely he has some say in the matter. I understand the aspect of him having to run a successful company, but to be so outspoken about your stance on something and run a company that doesn't adhere to your own personal beliefs seems like a bit of a conflict to me.

He is also totally fine with the Sony lock in.

Do what I say, don't do what I do.

He is a total hypocrite. As long as it makes them shitloads of money, he is ok with it.

Yeah, I didn't include consoles in my initial argument, but I have to wonder if Tim was aware of Sony's policy beforehand.

I must have dreamed the existence of Windows S...
I can't speak for Windows S (as I'm not sure if it can run/install win32 apps installed from the Windows Store), but Windows RT (Windows S' predecessor) was intended to only run UWP apps so the overall OS could take advantage of the improved resource management that UWP apps were guaranteed to support. Note that there was more of a tablet push with Windows RT (and Windows 8), though, so I can see where Microsoft was going there. I do know that Windows S has a similar goal, but I think Microsoft's come to accept that win32 isn't going away (especially since Microsoft itself still uses desktop applications for development...and even still has a lot of people using Windows 7 there).

Windows S wasn't made for you. It was made for people who end installing 20 toolbars because an ad on a website told them to.
Yeah, as someone who bought his dad a computer, only for that computer to gradually be overtaken by malware to the point that I couldn't even remote into it to fix problems anymore, I wish people would see the value in the existence of something like Windows S.

Actually, it is no more "Windows Store". It is "Microsoft Store" now and Fortnite is on Microsoft Store, but compatible for Xbox One consoles.
Yeah, I'm aware of the change. I find Microsoft's re-branding to Microsoft Store kind of confusing, as it matches the branding for Microsoft's own physical stores, and I feel as though I never really know which one I'm dealing with in some sense if I use the browser-based versions of Microsoft's storefronts.

If he really cared they would only release Fortnite on open platforms (PC and Android) to push people to open platforms. But, Epic cares more about money than the open/closed platform issue.
I don't think Epic should ONLY release Fortnite on open platforms, but nothing Epic's done since releasing Fortnite on Windows has indicated that Epic has any interest in giving open platforms any sort of advantage. Granted, when you look toward the future, what're you gonna do with that .exe or .apk when Fortnite goes under? It's not as though having access to it on an open platform is gonna restore the server-side stuff that you need to make the game work if/when Epic shuts everything down.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017
The fact that Sweeney (or anyone else) doesn't like some of Microsofts decisions, doesn't make him biased or a Microsoft hater. I hope you can see that one day.
Oh sure Ge0.....I was saying that is super okay to have a position ..but if it is hard and clear as it sounded from various Tim interview and tweets ..it put yourself in a position where ..people expect from your words nothing less than bias ....honestly the iOS/Android situation is laughable

Sorry double :(

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except isn't it akin to how semi trucks have to pay more for Diseil fuel as they use the road heavier and can be claimed they damage the road more. I personally think Netflix should come up with their own ISP if they aren't happy with Comcast.

Is downloading data a destructive process that requires constant repair?

The point of an analogy is not to nit pick the small ways an analogy is flawed, it is to think about the argument presented.

Jumpman64

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
OP doesn't understand how the world works apparently. Tim can do whatever he wants since he owns Epic. He doesn't owe anybody anything and is looking after his companies interest first " which he should since he is in charge of it" and will do what makes the most sense money wise for it.

And it's not like the decisions he is making are killing children or something terrible. They are related to games lol.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP doesn't understand how the world works apparently. Tim can do whatever he wants since he owns Epic. He doesn't owe anybody anything and is looking after his companies interest first " which he should since he is in charge of it" and will do what makes the most sense money wise for it.
To be fair a company can do things that are both for their own interest and for the interest of consumers. Like Linux support.

Or, hell, the lowered cut thing that Epic themselves did for their Unreal Asset store, even the backpays(is that the word?). You can say that it was in their interest and yadda yadda, but that was a net positive for the industry.

chobel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To the OP, you have some huge misunderstanding of the openness Tim Sweeney means. He's not exactly pro open platforms, he's pro open hardware/OS. By his own words

His motive isn't because he likes the openness, his motive is money. He wants to distribute his own software without having to give platform holders 30%. In other words he wants open platforms because he's pro developer (or publisher).

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His motive isn't because he likes the openness, his motive is money. He wants to distribute his own software without having to give platform holders 30%. In other words he wants open platforms because he's pro developer (or publisher).

And as saci pointed out, when those interests align its Win-Win (for everyone except the gatekeeper)

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I'm not sure I understand the issue. Why is it more of a security risk releasing it how they do on an open platform? I honestly don't understand the entire premise of the thread but I don't play mobile games, or even PC games really, and I own an iPhone. So must be missing something right?

chobel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the reach of windows os (and others) ..not from the store

Is this a joke? Tim Sweeney isn't "spitting" on Windows, matter of fact he loves Windows as it is now and how open it is.

His issue is with W10 Store, he fears that MS will change it to become like iOS.

And as saci pointed out, when those interests align its Win-Win (for everyone except the gatekeeper)

Yep, I totally agree.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Is downloading data a destructive process that requires constant repair?

The point of an analogy is not to nit pick the small ways an analogy is flawed, it is to think about the argument presented.
You do know that wires and wireless do have a shelf life right? Pushing data through them does take a toll on them. Your average hotspot has a lifespan about 18-24 months before the quality starts degrading. It is a really weird and interesting phenomenon.

I do understand what you are going for. Though why Fortnite isn't on Mac or some flavor of Linux.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

- Companies have no obligation to release their games on any platform of your choosing. They don't even need to give a reason.
- Publicly disclosing technical details of a vulnerability before notifying the developers and giving them time to react is kind of a shitty move. That said, a strong case can be made that Google is justified in retaliating for Epic bypassed their store and creating a vulnerability in the first place.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty obvious that if Epic could launch their own installers on iOS, Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo, they absolutely would.

Except isn't it akin to how semi trucks have to pay more for Diseil fuel as they use the road heavier and can be claimed they damage the road more. I personally think Netflix should come up with their own ISP if they aren't happy with Comcast.

That sounds insane. And this is all happening because there isn't enough competition among ISPs.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
No shit he's trying to make money

This is why in all these multiplayer and platform competition and versus play on console or pc is ridiculous

Literally everyone involved is inconsistent in some way and painting any member as open or closed is ridiculous

Unless you're doing these services for free on something like Linux and open sourced you're not a truly open platform anyway

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
It's pretty obvious that if Epic could launch their own installers on iOS, Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo, they absolutely would.

That sounds insane. And this is all happening because there isn't enough competition among ISPs.
And I want more competition. I am very happy that Comcast didn't buy up Time Warner's cable/internet operations. If they did then they'd be slicing fiber optics in my area to make my ISP of choice look worse.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Google having such a short window between discovery of the vulnerability and open disclosure of the vulnerability is unprofessional if the reason they did so with such a short time period was purely to shame Epic and provide a warning to others thinking of "self publishing" on Android.
If the exploit had actually already been encountered in the wild by malicious actors independently of Googles vulnerability tests, then public disclosure was the responsible action.

I have no idea which of the two scenarios occurred, so I can't really say whether Google were pulling a dick move or not here.

The window wasnt short from discovery to exposure, it was "short" from patch delivery to public exposure. The 7 days was *after* the patch was released by Epic

bishoptl

Remember
Oct 26, 2017
Vancouver
It is very, very hypocritical to criticise one closed platform and allow it on another just because it isn't Microsoft...
Hardly, when:

1 - There is no alternative on iOS, and
2 - Windows users are still able to play the game using other means.

Windows Store isn't owed Epic's content, people. Development support costs real dollars.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
So supporting open platforms is just a ruse?
No. Windows remaining an open platform is in Epic's (and in Sweeney's words, all developers') best interest. Largely that is because of financial reasons, but MS's creation of the Windows Store is also mostly for financial reasons.

$ is the main motivator for most actions any company takes. That's basically the point of them.