• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Remake the world, Greta.

I hope she represents the ferocity with which generation Z will fight for what's right. I suspect it will be too late to prevent the coming dramatic changes on this planet, but I'd at least rather have them in control than the fucking baby boomer generation.

Island

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Weird, thought I saw a poll recently where the HK protestors were way in the lead. How does TIME chose the winner? Is it by open poll?

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Weird, thought I saw a poll recently where the HK protestors were way in the lead. How does TIME chose the winner? Is it by open poll?
The online poll does not decide who is Time's Person of the Year and never has. It's strictly just an online poll to see what the generals population thinks.

It's the choice of the Time Magazine editors.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
For those who have concerns about trees and paper, isn't there an upswing of people reading magazines digitally?

With Apple News+, I get all of these Time magazines.

It's certainly a concern of mine, especially when you consider all the acres of rainforest we lost in Brazil this year due to fire (not that it was necessarily going to paper production).

Hopefully move to digital consumption of media continues to be a trend, certainly not only among video games and movies, but also print media so we can reduce our reliance on things like plastic and wood used to create these products and to keep them out of our landfills especially given the current issues we're having with recycling due to China no longer taking as much unsorted recyclables.

In 2011 something like 16% of trees used to make paper products came from renewable paper tree farms. The other 84% had to come from somewhere.

One of the biggest environmental sins the computer industry ever did was invent the computer printer. Instead of using less paper, it became so easy to print things out that we ended up using more paper than ever before.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
She's done a remarkable job as a spokeswoman by keeping public focus on and vitalizing environmental causes through the attention she generates from world leaders to private citizens, supporters and detractors. Excellent choice.

Dec 2, 2017
It hurts to see the Hong Kong protesters passed over for anything, but Thunberg is obviously addressing an issue that affects everyone on the planet. I've really pleasantly surprised by how widespread the response to environmental issues has been this year. I really thought it would take until the middle of the next decade and some serious disasters causing the deaths of elderly white people to wake people up and get them to act.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's a great choice overall but the braver choice would have been the HK protesters but that shit is still too hot for pretty much every major publication. Hopefully we don't have to wait for the mass murdering of HK civilians for them to get a large public spotlight.

Don't get me wrong obviously Greta is incredible I just maintain that China's CCP will be the most frightening thing we will all have to face in our lifetime and if we don't put the public shame on them hard now we will have another Nazi threat on our hands. I don't even think it's that far off either.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Personally, I would have picked HK protestors (although I do admit I don't know a name that has stood out), but Thunberg is a good choice.

Oct 27, 2017
She is a good choice for getting people to pay attention to the problem. Hopefully, in a few years' time (approximately 5 to 10 years from now), the people who wind up mitigating climate change via the paradigm-shifting technology that's on the horizon will get their due, as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Tri-State
She doing better job at being a climate activist, trying to solve a problem that neurotypical's created and could have been avoid. Amazing

Last edited:

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NBC News reports that she first learned about climate change at 8 years old, immediately became very concerned about climate change that she entered into depression over climate change:

"She became the biggest voice on the biggest issue facing the planet this year, coming from essentially nowhere to lead a worldwide movement," Time editor-in-chief Edward Felsenthal told the show, adding that Thunberg is the magazine's youngest choice ever to be named Person of the Year.

Thunberg, who has Asperger's syndrome, first learned about climate change at 8 years old and said she became instantly concerned to the point that she plunged into depression over it.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It's certainly a concern of mine, especially when you consider all the acres of rainforest we lost in Brazil this year due to fire (not that it was necessarily going to paper production).

Oh buddy if you think that was even remotely related to paper production then have I got some tree farms to sell you

Her entire message is "don't praise me, fix the world already you idiots". You can both 1) like that she's getting this reward and 2) comprehend the basic point that "time spent focusing on it/on her is time spent not focusing on fixing the world you've doomed", and it's a completely correct point so it's unsurprising it's hard for a lot of people to comprehend

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Greta is a great choice. Would have been cool with the HK protesters as well. Her being on the cover isn't a slight to them at all. Hilarious that the right are pushing that narrative with their comic-like villainy.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
I think it's a great choice overall but the braver choice would have been the HK protesters but that shit is still too hot for pretty much every major publication. Hopefully we don't have to wait for the mass murdering of HK civilians for them to get a large public spotlight.

Don't get me wrong obviously Greta is incredible I just maintain that China's CCP will be the most frightening thing we will all have to face in our lifetime and if we don't put the public shame on them hard now we will have another Nazi threat on our hands. I don't even think it's that far off either.
lol braver choice, the HK protests is like the only protests the majority of people seem to care about this year. There are plenty of ongoing protests against authoritarian governments, one of which was installed after a literal fascist coup, across the globe that have had even more violent responses from the government but they get almost no coverage by media in comparison to HK. Like HK would have also been a good choice but can people stop pretending that HK is the only important protest in the world and that none can possible compare to it just cause they waved the US flag and people hate China

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
lol braver choice, the HK protests is like the only protests the majority of people seem to care about this year. There are plenty of ongoing protests against authoritarian governments, one of which was installed after a literal fascist coup, across the globe that have had even more violent responses from the government but they get almost no coverage by media in comparison to HK. Like HK would have also been a good choice but can people stop pretending that HK is the only important protest in the world and that none can possible compare to it just cause they waved the US flag and people hate China

What an embarrasing post.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
I think you are picking a very strange fight here. Just move on.
I don't find wanting people to give a shit about other protests, such as in Chile and Bolivia for example, other than solely HK to be strange. Especially because the response to the HK protests shows alot of hypocrisy considering many will support it even after a dude got lit on fire yet hated BLM the moment they named themselves. Again the HK protests are good but people put it on a pedastal and act as if no other protest is as important or as ethically run

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Time will tell if those who use her as a symbol will actually heed her words, or if they will continue to take no action or little action and just point to their vocal words of support to her as "proof" they're doing something. I hope they will. At any rate, she does deserve it.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Agree.

I feel like the hong kong protesters are probably the bravest out there. They are dealing with China, a regime that bulldozed thousands of youngsters and students, and continue to violate human rights in a large scale while having every country by the balls with their economic crap.

I like Greta as a symbol for awareness of climate change, but she's a white european girl, privileged and protected from everything. In hong kong they don't have anyone in the world to rely on, because no one dares to touch China or oppose them with anything. That's truly a desperate situation.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Can we stop with the narrative that this goes against what she stands for. Yes she wants action on climate change rather than personal accolades but her being on the cover of time draws more attention to the issue.

Not sure why people are trying to spin this as a bad thing.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Eh I wouldn't put the HKers over the native Brazilians opposing Bolsonaro facing their homes being set on fire in that respect

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Agree.

I feel like the hong kong protesters are probably the bravest out there. They are dealing with China, a regime that bulldozed thousands of youngsters and students, and continue to violate human rights in a large scale while having every country by the balls with their economic crap.

I like Greta as a symbol for awareness of climate change, but she's a white european girl, privileged and protected from everything. In hong kong they don't have anyone in the world to rely on, because no one dares to touch China or oppose them with anything. That's truly a desperate situation.

There is no doubt that the Hong Kong protestors deserve a lot of praise and are doing a brave thing but let's not turn that into an insult against Greta. Your post is bordering on being sexist too.

Sure as a white person she sees less discrimnation than others but have you seen the vitriol leveled towards her both for being a woman and having mental health issues? Death threats, rape threats and constant insults from across the world (including from world leaders).

Calling her 'privileged and protected from everything' is pretty offensive IMO and totally ignores the struggles that both women and people with mental health face today.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There is no doubt that the Hong Kong protestors deserve a lot of praise and are doing a brave thing but let's not turn that into an insult against Greta. Your post is bordering on being sexist too.

Sure as a white person she sees less discrimnation than others but have you seen the vitriol leveled towards her both for being a woman and having mental health issues? Death threats, rape threats and constant insults from across the world (including from world leaders).

Calling her 'privileged and protected from everything' is pretty offensive IMO and totally ignores the struggles that both women and people with mental health face today.

She has access to the best health systems, education and safest places on earth. She has a tribune to talk with world leaders in the UN... Compare that to, Hong Kong where they are shooting protesters with real ammunition.

The harassment from internet dumbfucks is way different i think, to what young people are dealing with in hong kong, again, with minimum media support or awareness because China.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Agree.

Greta is fantastic but I think she has gotten a ton of publicity already for the cause and is already very prominent. This doesn't do much for her except anger idiotic climate change deniers. The HK protesters could have really used a headline grabbing moment like this.