• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
This list sucks...

for my tastes anyways. Those games are definitely influential, but I wouldn't call them "the best".

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Remove the 2009 games Minecraft and LoL, replace with RDR and Last of Us. Otherwise good list.

Fortnite and Pokemon Go might not be in our list of the games of the decade, but we are just a small portion of the market. I also like there are no rankings inside these 10 games, we already have that and people only pay attention to the number 1 that way.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I changed it into a good list:
  • Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
  • Dark Souls (2011)
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011)
  • Disco Elysium (2019)

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Read that again, but slowly.
I mean, their release may've been 2009, but their cultural impact and popularity endured and peaked this decade. "They're not 2010s games" seems overly pedantic. They're games that defined the decade, regardless of when they were made.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
two 2009 games being on there is pretty weird. minecraft is in a lot of other lists too but they list it as 2010 since that's when it got out of beta.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Where is the last of us ?

(Btw, how do you guys pronounce the 2010s ? The twenty tens ?)

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Time Magazine - The 10 Best Video Games of the 2010s

• Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
  • Fortnite (2017)
  • Dark Souls (2011)
  • League of Legends (2009)
  • Pokémon Go (2016)
  • Minecraft (2009)
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011)
  • Portal 2 (2011)
  • Disco Elysium (2019)

This is the most coward list I've read so far.

Including Go, LoL and Minecraft despite specifying 2010s and lmao fortnite

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
For me personally there is only one game on there that I think would stand a chance to be on mine, thats Disco Elysium. I mean it's not an awful list but it's very... safe? boring? I don't know. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I can definitely see BotW, Dark Souls and Portal 2 even if they wouldn't make my list.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Seems like a mixture of what the people at TIME thought was good and influential.

Don't see anything wrong with it in general though. Even the 2009 picks - those games have been heavily updated since their initial release and are very different from their original version

There have also been a lot of 'safer' lists that I've seen. The Washington Post's one that's was posted here very recently, for instance.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting list.

There are maybe 3 games on it that I don't consider to be completely terrible.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like they nominated Fortnite over pubg for its popularity. But isn't Pubg actually far bigger Outside of the US ?

nny

Oct 25, 2017
How could they make a list so controversial and yet so brave?

(Love you, Portal 2)

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Disco Elysium is a great game and totally deserving of praise. That said it weirdly stands out on that list lol. It's as if the author wanted to include something both modern and unique, and this game fit both marks.

Otherwise this just looks like a generic 'most popular/influential' list.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Horrible list. Pokemon Go? Really? It's popular, sure, but it's a terrible game. I also like that there are two games from 2009 on the list.
It's easily one of the most popular games of the decade, and its' brief window of global domination alone is one of the biggest moments in gaming period. Absolutely deserves the spot.

Cut Disco, add RDR2.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
It's easily one of the most popular games of the decade, and its' brief window of global domination alone is one of the biggest moments in gaming period. Absolutely deserves the spot.

Cut Disco, add RDR2.
Popular or influential does not equal best to me. Best indicates quality. In the end quality is subjective, and so are these lists of course. But to argue that Pokemon Go is one of the 10 highest quality games of the last 9 years is lunacy.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Popular or influential does not equal best to me. Best indicates quality. In the end quality is subjective, and so are these lists of course. But to argue that Pokemon Go is one of the 10 highest quality games of the last 9 years is lunacy.
It captured national cultural attention in a way no game has ever done before. For a period of time, if you saw anyone with a smartphone out - you assumed they were playing Pokemon Go. It's a level of penetration no other game has managed before, and that achievement is itself indicative of quality. Pokemon Go is very good at being the kind of game it tries to be.