• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Summer and fall are often the worst time to be a video game fan. Publishers often hold their best stuff til the end of the year, and it's worse this year, because Microsoft and Sony are hanging on to their biggest games until the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 are out this holiday season.

Still, 2020 has already offered an embarrassment of riches for gamers.

List:

Doom Eternal
Half-Life: Alyx
Final Fantasy VII Remake
The Last of Us 2
Animal Crossing
Ghost of Tsushima
Carrion
Kentucky Route Zero TV Edition

time.com

The Best Video Games of 2020 (So Far)

Gamers have gotten plenty of great options for a last hurrah on their Xbox One or PlayStation 4

This years has been so good for games at least.

Last edited:

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
One of the better years this generation, no doubt.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Surprisingly good year considering that it's the end of the PS4 and Xbox1 gen. Going out with a bang.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
"Here's some of the highest profile games of 2020, please pretend that indies don't exist."

Oh, I guess they have Carrion and KRZ TV. That fixes it I guess.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
FF7R, ghost of tsushima and streets of rage 4 are my top picks for this year so far. Been a good one honestly

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
It makes me sad how few of those games I've played so far. Once I get a PS5 I'll go through all those 2020 Sony releases.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I think most people's lists would look basically the same. Apart from Kentucky Route.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would take Paper Mario or Oi over Doom Eternal honestly, that game was a massive letdown for me.

EDIT: I completely forgot about Dreams.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Dreams getting no respect is heartbreaking.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
List needs more Ori. Would have liked to see a bit more attention thrown at Streets of Rage 4 and Dreams too

Surprised to see Carrion there, thought it was pretty good but I really didn't find it *that* interesting despite the concept

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Great list, though I'd replace DOOM Eternal with Paper Mario. Then it's perfect.
Persona 5 Royal is missing, but Ghost of Tsushima redeems it.
List in the OP is also just the list of the 6 biggest games of the year so far.

Also Streets of Rage 4.
Dreams and Ori and the Will are missing. Weird omissions considering Carrion is on the list.
All of this

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
Been one of my favourite years for games ever tbh. Particularly with TLOU2, Ghost and Ori. Truly exceptional games.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Is it wrong that I still have the Last of Us 2 and Got still in their sealed packaging? Too many games to play right now...

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Ori and the Will of the Wisps is my GOTY so far. Don't think there will be many games in my favorite genres that will launch this year.. so not my favorite year in gaming. (Which is fine, I understand why this year is fucked)

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Where the hell is Ori and the Will of the Wisps? It's like everyone forgot about it.

Otherwise I agree with a lot of those games. Carrion is my Indie of the Year for sure.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
My GOTY so far is Nioh 2, but I'm still playing FF7R, Tsushima, Trials of Mana, Deadly Prem 2, and many more titles.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Miles Morales will come swinging out of left field, astounding everyone and then Genshin Impact, a F2P no one had on their radar, will win GOTY. :)