• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fidgit spinners were also super popular.
It's just a fad.
This won't last much longer.
I just don't see the lasting appeal outside of it being "new" so to speak.
Search and Destroy has been a thing for a while now.
Nobody liked it. Now it's all the rage.
For the moment...

People have been saying this for at least 6 months now.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Have we ever seen a video game penetrate the market on such a grand scale?

Um yeh, Pokémon Go pretty recently.

I'll never understand why World Cup and Olympics - off the top of my head - refuse to allow video clips from competition. Trying to find actual video of it and...nothing. Slideshows. The first link says it's video, but it's not available here and I'd bet it's like other video, just a slideshow of stills.

I know, I know...someone will be pedantic enough to point out EVERY video is a series of stills...

Have you tried FIFATV on YouTube? That's the official channel. Should have highlights of every World Cup game.

Edit:

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Antagonizing other users, history of similar behavior
I was catching 40 winks on the sofa this afternoon when i was woken by an eardrum-bursting scream. What happened? Did England score again? Well, yes they did, but it wasn't Lingard's goal that excited my son so much. It was his celebration. "He just did the Fortnite dance!"

379234.jpg

Have we ever seen a video game penetrate the market on such a grand scale? Global audiences don't come any bigger than the World Cup and Epic had just profited from the kind of free advertisement no amount of cash can ever buy.

I see it's making the news already.

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/video/1262848579807
http://www./sport/esports/article-5...es-England-World-Cup-goal-Fortnite-dance.html
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...ration-Fortnite-England-Panama-sportgalleries

And this is just the start. I wouldn't be surprised to see more Fortnite-style goal celebrations in the later rounds, and imagine this, the final. Epic must be rubbing their hands with glee...
Get this shit off my computer games forum. Neymar did the pubg punch when he scored for psg months ago. Is this thread worThy? Is it fuck. Get your england bullshitt out of here

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
People saying "but those dances exist before fortnite" are ignoring the fact that the reason those players are doing those dances are specifically because of Fortnite. Fortnite's a monster of a game.
It's funny that you argue this point (which I agree with), when you spent so much time on something similar when it came to Motion Matching tech, where you kept downplaying TLoU Part II's trailer use of it by saying it was Ubisoft that started it. Yes, Ubisoft started it but the E3 trailer from TLoU Part II made a looooot more people aware of the tech. This is a very similar scenario.

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
That's the "shoot shoot shoot" dance blockboy not fortnite won't be surprised if it made it way to fortnite though

Edit: James harden who play for Houston Rockets NBA use to do this dance in his warm up routine while their playing blockboy JB song in the background.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Get this shit off my computer games forum. Neymar did the pubg punch when he scored for psg months ago. Is this thread worThy? Is it fuck. Get your england bullshitt out of here

It's thread worthy because it's at the world cup. A competition seen all over the world. Thanks for disrespecting a country, very toxic of you.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny that you argue this point (which I agree with), when you spent so much time on something similar when it came to Motion Matching tech, where you kept downplaying TLoU Part II's trailer use of it by saying it was Ubisoft that started it. Yes, Ubisoft started it but the E3 trailer from TLoU Part II made a looooot more people aware of the tech.
RFiJNyN.gif

It's funny that you choose this thread to try a gotcha when there were a ton of articles written two years ago about motion matching and even last year at gdc we had devs talking about researching the tech but please tell me more about how this situation is even remotely comparable. Good grief, lmfao. It's nice to have a fan I guess.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
That is pretty interesting. It has really taken off. Reminds me of Gangnam style popularity. Also, thank you OP for writing in a comprehensible manner. At times I can barely make out the subject matter on posts these days.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
RFiJNyN.gif

It's funny that you choose this thread to try a gotcha when there were a ton of articles written two years ago about motion matching and even last year at gdc we had devs talking about researching the tech but please tell me more about how this situation is even remotely comparable. Good grief, lmfao. It's nice to have a fan I guess.
Yet it's just now that everyone's talking about it and making a buzz about the tech, but you do you, it was just interesting to point out how bias works, the irony was just a bonus. This is a similar scenario, most people playing Fortnite are being exposed to these dances because of the game, it doesn't make sense to be mad because they don't know where they originated from.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yet it's just now that everyone's talking about it and making a buzz about the tech
My dude there were barely any articles written about it after the e3 buzz, the thread itself wasn't picked up, if you search for motion matching the most relevant results are related directly to Ubisoft Toronto and For Honor, if you think that MM is associated with ND at this point then maybe you're the one who needs to self reflect and examine whether or not your have a bias as the e3 buzz, including that tidbit, is essentially over. Don't @ me kthx.

DAREALGUMMY

Oct 25, 2017
You must have never played a terrible game in your life if Fortnite is terrible. Terrible is Superman 64, not fortnite. But you can all continue to be extra salty about it while epic cries all the way to the bank.
We really doing the "THEY MAKE MORE MONEY THAN YOU!" defense here?
I mean, Japans Prime Minister dressed up as Mario for the Olympics. It's pretty safe to say gaming is huge all over the world.

and yes, Pokemon GO had everyone going nuts. I don't think it'll get crazier than that.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
They're gonna add a two step then someone is gonna be like, "I just came back from a retirement village and they were playing Barry Manilow for the old folks. Everyone and I mean everyone was doing the Fortnite dance.

Has there ever been a videogame with this level of penetration with the elderly demographic?
Aie6GvL.png
"

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, I'll be the first to admit I've never heard of this dance outside of Fortnite. I've never even heard of the rapper before it was mentioned in this thread (I don't listen to rap). So if I've seen it, I would have said it was from Fortnite.

Also, who cares if someone else made the dance? I'm sure the guy knew the dance well before, but that's irrelevant because he said he did it because of Fortnite.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
People saying "but those dances exist before fortnite" are ignoring the fact that the reason those players are doing those dances are specifically because of Fortnite. Fortnite's a monster of a game.

Yep!
I dare to say that it might already be the most "popular" game I ve seen in my entire life.
Fortnite is that kind of title that surpass the gaming sphere.
Shit is everywhere.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
There is no point in bringing LoL numbers, this game is Era ultimate blindspot.

It's quite strange really. League is far bigger than Fortnite and its been around for nearly a decade, let's see where Fortnite is 10 years from now. I'm not sure why most of Era doesn't seem to know of its existence.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I was gassing up my car today and there was a video screen on the pump talking about Fortnite. Never seen anything like it.

It's like if Flappy Bird was popular for more than a few days. I've never seen another game have this much mainstream appeal for this long.

Not trying to belittle Fortnite's success, because I do consider it a phenomenon, but Pokemon dominated pop culture and mainstream for years. Granted it wasn't just the games of course, but still.

Like Pokemon was everywhere between 1998-2002.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.