• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 2, 2017
For years (as a kid) I thought the line in Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger" was: "and the last known survivor's lost his wig in the night"

No, I know it doesn't make sense. I KNOW.

Also the Split Enz song "Six Months in a Leaky Boat" has the line: "Aoteoroa, a rugged individual" which I heard originally as "hey I'll tell your mama, a rocking individual" which I definitely like more.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Wrapped up like a douche is covered. thread is good.

That newest Maroon Song I keep hearing "Been doing shit for you" instead of "been wishin' for you".

My version is way better.

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
Do I ever cross your mind, intern?

This song came out around the same time as the Monica Lewinsky (white house intern) scandal, so the song sounded like bill Clinton pining over her to younger me.

Inturbulence

Oct 28, 2017
The bridge of Mariah Carey's Fantasy (1996).
She sings:

"There's no beginning and there is no end, feels like I'm dreaming but I'm not sleeping"

I always heard it as:
"There's no beginning and there is no end, feels like I'm dreaming when I masturbate"

dsigns

Nov 2, 2017
My friends little brother used to single along with Biggies verse in Mo Money Mo Problems and say "I talked to myself and I fell in the basement". Much better than "they tapped my cell and the phone in the basement"

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
For the longest time I thought the lyric in Nirvana's "All Apologies" was "sunburned, but free as a bird" and thought it was an Icarus reference, then learned it was "sunburned with freezer burn"

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All of my life I always thought Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin was about Norse and Vikings, and particularly about Thor. When they announced the first Thor movie, I assumed it would be featured in some way just because of the backdrop of the lyrics and it never happened. When watching Thor Ragnarok, it thought the song fit perfectly with the scenes. Today, when re-watching the movie I looked up the lyrics for the first time ever and I found out the part I thought said "Whispered tales of Thor" isn't the actual lyric but "whispered tales of gore" instead. That stings. I've been singing it wrong for about 15 years :/

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I was young, and always that this was "hot potatoes" lol. Gotta watch it on youtbe.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Going to quote myself from a previous similar thread, instead of typing it all out again

About "Momma" on TPAB:
I swear I was pondering a "headcanon lyrics" thread the other day. The following is probably my biggest recent example.

On my first few spins of To Pimp a Butterfly, I didn't follow along with printed lyrics. This is what I usually do for new releases. So after a few listens, my favorite verses start to coalesce. To anyone who likes the album, you're probably also a fan of verse 2 and verse 3 of Momma. They're up there with the best shit K-dot has written, in my opinion, and are among my favorite bars on the record, and some of my favorite modern hip hop bars in general.

Well, in verse 2, Kendrick runs through all the knowledge he has gained in his career as a setup to the end of the verse, where he arrives back in Compton and realizes that he doesn't know shit about where he comes from anymore, and thus all the other knowledge doesn't amount to much. The idea is that returning home is a humbling experience for Kendrick.

So anyway, when he's running through the knowledge he's accumulated over the years, around the middle of the verse, he says the following:

I know everything, I know history
I know the universe works mentally
I know the perks of bullshit isn't meant for me

But on my first few listens, before I followed with the lyrics in front of me, I heard it a bit differently:

I know everything, I know history
I know the universe works mentally
I know the perks of bullshit, is it meant for me?

I still absolutely love this verse, but I actually prefer how I misheard it, and still often hear it that way when I throw it on. The reason I prefer it is that one of the record's primary themes is the temptations of fame and money and the associated exploitation ("Lucy" is used as a device representing this throughout the record). So when Kendrick admits to knowing the perks of "bullshit," I think it's more in line with the rest of the record thematically for him to express doubt about whether to sell out and be a bullshitter, thus bringing more fame and success, or to eschew those perks and stay true to himself. This is something he struggles with in this very song. That's why I like the line as a question rather than a declarative statement that he knows those perks aren't for him. He wrestles with fame, exploitation, and guilt throughout the record, including in this very verse, where he doesn't realize how ignorant he is until he comes back to Compton, so it really fits perfectly as a question implying that he is still wrestling with those issues. In a lot of ways, "I know the perks of bullshit, is it meant for me?" is a perfect representation of that particular theme of TPAB.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I've just always found this interesting.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Something sightly different: I misinterpreted the meaning to "25 or 6, to 4" by Chicago
I always interpreted it as a criminal awaiting their sentence of 25-life, or 6-4 years, obviously ordering makes it sound off, but I thought it fit, and personally I enjoy my interpretation as it goes well with the lyrics.

As for actual misheard lyrics: Maroon 5 - Sugar
I heard as "Shut up, you're sweet" instead of "Sugar, yes please" I thought it was the person singing being bashful about a girl being sweet lol, like "aww, shaddup you cutie." lol.

Digimon.

Digital Monsters.

Digimon Garlic Champions.

For the LONGEST time, that's how I heard those lyrics. And having seen a recent meme with the singing bird, seems I'm not the only one.

I love this lol.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
2pac - hit em up. I always heard the woman say "make money" instead of "take money".

To this day i still say "make money" in the voice of the woman in the song when I'm getting money somehow or something is related to me saving money.

electristan

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Not me, but we have an Italian friend of the family who grew up singing:

Gonna jump down, spin around
Pick the bella cotton
Gonna jump down, spin around
Pick all bella day
Oh lordy, pick a bale of cotton
Pick the bella hay​

He said that is what they taught in the 70s in his school. Funny and sad that the innocence of it

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Alanis Morisette - You Oughta Know

"The cross I bear that you gave to me..." was heard as "The cross-eyed bear that you gave to me..."

I guess as a kid I assumed the boyfriend had really shitty gift taste.

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Map of the Problematique by Muse.

"And I feel like everything I sow
Is being swept away
Where I refuse to let you go"

It's actually

"Well I refuse to let you go"

I like my original interpretation a lot better. It adds an extra layer of meaning to the lyrics. Matt should have gone with that.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
For years (as a kid) I thought the line in Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger" was: "and the last known survivor's lost his wig in the night"

Also the Split Enz song "Six Months in a Leaky Boat" has the line: "Aoteoroa, a rugged individual" which I heard originally as "hey I'll tell your mama, a rocking individual" which I definitely like more.

Me too!! Up until I read that!

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Radioactive by Imagine Dragon's,

When they're screaming RADIOACTIVE!...RADIOACTIVE!, I always hear "Ready to wack you".

Just something about the way they enunciated it.

Yup. I still hear it, and I still love it, haha.

When I first heard it I thought it was "Ready to rock you". Not quite as funny as yours.

actthafool

Oct 27, 2017
Not really a missheard lyric as she knows the actual lyrics but my fiancee sings "Arse Face instead of "Arms Race" in Fall Out Boys "This Aint a Scene, Its an Arms Race". I cannot for the life in me unhear it now. Give it a go and you'll see what I mean.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

Before I knew the song title, I heard the chorus as "Contestants in a leaky boat."

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Just came across this video of a woman singing the song "Without You" by Mariah Carey without knowing english in singing talent show. That's some hilarious made up language "Ken Lee tulibu dibu douchoo".

munkymufin

Apr 11, 2018
This is a tiny difference, but in "Eugene" by Sufjan Stevens I thought he sang, near the end of the song, "What's left is only bittersweet/ For the rest of my life admitting the PAST is behind me."

He actually sings "the BEST is behind me" which seems a little on-the-nose. Singing "past" ruins a small rhyme, but seems more bittersweet and poignant than the maudlin "best."

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
For the longest time I heard the lyric "I am titanium" as "I am a dirty whore" and wondered why anybody would sing that.

I'm torn on which is better.

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
Remember "The Hot Boys?" For the longest I thought "Drop it like its hot" was "Drive it like a tracktor" because of their southern drawl.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nirvana - All Apologies

"I want my lasagna. I want my lasagna."

Don't care what the lyrics are. This is what I heard.

Stretch

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 21, 2018
Post Malone - White Iverson
Heard: "Cigarettes in heaven"
Actual: "Cigarettes and a headband"
2:12

Lil Yachty - Run Running
Heard: "Y'all niggas just run in circles"
Actual: "Young nigga just ran a sack up"
0:22

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT LIL YACHTY SONG. Seriously what in the fuck. That beat is just lazy trash. The lyrics....fuck me the lyrics.....I just....I can't.....

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
God of Wine - Third Eye Blind

Actual line: "Every thought that I repent, there's another chip you haven't spent"

I heard: "For every fault that I repent..."

ThankeeSai

Oct 25, 2017

Peter Gabriel "Games Without Frontiers"

What I heard - "She's so pop-ular"

Actual lyrics "Jeux sans frontieres"

Had been singing this wrong for decades and only discovered the real lyrics a few years ago.

*edit* video is unavailable for some reason, but works if you click the link to be taken directly to YouTube 🤔