• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I hate the song "Congratulations" by Post Malone. I think it's obnoxious and droning. But I used to think I liked this line in the song:

Sunset don't change, ever since we was young

Because it seemed like an almost poetic reflection on life and growing up, on reminiscing on youth and how fame has or hasn't changed us over the years but simple aspects of life, such as the sun setting every evening, remain the same day after day. I even gave him a pass for rhyming "young" with "young" because of this.

But apparently the line is:

Said shit done change, ever since we was on

Which just sounds like some dumbass bro reflecting on how fame has changed him in a somewhat shallow way. Probably because that's exactly what's happening here.

Deleted member 412

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any concrete examples, but this happens to me all the time, to the point where I have stopped reading lyrics. I rather not have my poignant interpretations crushed.

Oct 27, 2017
'I'm Stevie Nichols, smiling, I feel no disgrace'.

The Verve, Bittersweet symphony. The real lyrics are 'stood here naked' I think.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
My darling I
Can't get a viola player
I don't know, I don't know whyyy
Can't get a viola player

tenor.gif

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I have the perfect example.

The Black Panther trailer used the Run the Jewels song Legend has It which has a line that I heard as "step into the spotlight, woo!" Which was a perfect line considering the context of the movie. But the actual line is "step into the spot like woo!" Which I don't like as much.

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The Black Panther trailer used the Run the Jewels song Legend has It which has a line that I heard as "step into the spotlight, woo!" Which was a perfect line considering the context of the movie. But the actual line is "step into the spot like woo!" Which I don't like as much.
I am now burdened with this knowledge

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Give me the Beach Boys and free my soul, I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away.

-Dobie Gray - Drift Away.

I grew up listening to the Beach Boys and similar music and for the longest time I thought that was how the song went. Then I found out it was "Give me the beat boys" and was disappointed.

lil jetski

Nov 1, 2017
Post Malone - White Iverson
Heard: "Cigarettes in heaven"
Actual: "Cigarettes and a headband"
2:12

Lil Yachty - Run Running
Heard: "Y'all niggas just run in circles"
Actual: "Young nigga just ran a sack up"
0:22

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil

What the fuck man

Even in the context of the RTJ music video spotlight makes more sense

I wish I'd never entered this thread

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Give me the Beach Boys and free my soul, I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away.

-Dobie Gray - Drift Away.

I grew up listening to the Beach Boys and similar music and for the longest time I thought that was how the song went. Then I found out it was "Give me the beat boys" and was disappointed.

WHAT?!!

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ARE WE HUMAN... OR ARE WE DENSER?

Actual lyrics: Are we human, or are we dancer?

"Human" by The Killers

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking about my doorbell
When ya gonna ring it, when you going to ring it
Yeah, I'm thinking about my doorbell
Yeah, I'm thinking about my doorbell
Yeah, I been thinking about my doorbell

My friend used to hear it as

I'm thinking about my dog, Bill
When ya gonna bring it, when you gonna bring it.

I kinda like that.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I feel like I've misheard every Fallout Boy song in ways that seem to make more sense, and it seems like that might be on purpose?

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
As a kid that happened a lot to me since I'm not a native speaker.

"I want love on mountains"

instead of

"I want love on my own terms"

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
What I thought it was

"Drink cider from a LOO a LOO a LOO..."

Actual

"Drink cider from a LEMON LEMON LEMON..."

at 1:20.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
The "She gets high" part of Break On Through by The Doors.

She gets high,
She gets high,
She gets high
She gets hiiiiiiIIIIIGGGGGHHHH, YEAH

I never heard the first highs except for the last one, so it made for a cooler build-up and release than what actually was in the song.

[EDIT]
Now that I look, it seems to be how it was performed live. Guess the band agreed. :>

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
From Radiohead's True Love Waits

"I'll drown my beliefs
To have your babies"

What i originally heard it as was
"I'll drown my beliefs
To have you be in peace"

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You've got another think comin'.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
There's a song that has "put up a parking light" but I couldn't figure out that was parking for the longest time and so it sounded like "put up a fucking light" to me.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
There was a whole book about this my wife picked up years ago, whose title became my new favorite:

613tkZbAbpL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
If you're talking about Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell, it's "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot."
Oh... damn, I misheard a whole lot of that. Come to think of it I thought I heard "gay paradise" too. So I guess the misheard version was about sending the fucking signal in gay paradise.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
OMD, "Joan of Arc":

Misheard: "She shouldn't oughta promise. Christ, it's just pretend."
Actual: "She shouldn't oughta promise, 'cause it's just pretend."

I enjoyed the casual religious swear in a song about the horrible sway of religion and the feeling of being rejected by Joan of Arc. The real lyric still has some of that blasphemy, but is comparatively ambiguous and boring.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I'mma BUY you a drank
OOOOuuuuuEEEEEuuuuuoooo
I'mma take you home with meeeee

wsS0Gov.gif

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Digimon.

Digital Monsters.

Digimon Garlic Champions.

For the LONGEST time, that's how I heard those lyrics. And having seen a recent meme with the singing bird, seems I'm not the only one.