• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking forward to today for months. Mario Odyssey and Stranger Things 2 on the same day. My hype was off the charts.

But then...last night around 8ish, I started feeling warm. Throat a bit scratchy. By the time Odyssey was about to be unlocked at 11 p.m. CST, I was feeling like death. I had to gather all my strength to play the first hour or so before collapsing in bed.

And I just woke up. 101 degree fever. Feels like there's a cactus in my throat. I'll still play a bit later and watching Stranger Things on the couch won't be the worst thing to do on a sick day, but it just sucks to feel miserable on a day you were really looking forward to. And my wife and I are supposed to go out tomorrow night for our 9-year anniversary (which was Tuesday) so hopefully I'm feeling better by then.

Any similar experiences?

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Last NYCC I cosplayed with a fever. No way I was going to miss it considering having paid for the tickets and made my costume. But man, standing in that line in the morning really sucked. Every time someone asked for a picture, I just kept thinking "I feel like I'm about to collapse why do you want a picture."

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Happens to me a lot because I tell myself it's time to relax and I get sick. Apparently happens a lot to business executives. I just have that type-A shift when it comes to being busy...

Worst case was when I had to cancel a 2nd date cuz I got really sick (103 fever). I don't think she believed me and she would never see me again.

One in line with other posts: the Christmas I got my Genesis I got really sick. Could only make it up to Sonic 2's Chemical Plant Zone before I had to lie down. Ended up shitting myself on the couch and a friend came over hah. Wanted him to stay but he saw what was going on.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Christmas when I was a kid, the flu just hit me like a ton of bricks that morning, I could not sit up or keep my eyes open and I was desperate to open my stuff.

I even got a brand new Game Boy Advance with Pokemon Emerald, I remember playing it in bed upstairs under the covers with this light accessory that clipped onto the handheld, marvelling at the fact the Pokemon had animations which weren't in Ruby or Sapphire.

My family was understanding but man, felt like that day had been robbed from me slightly.

Hope you get better soon OP.

Rebetherick

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't missed an event but going to my first festival in 2014 (Tomorrowland) I had an atrocious cold in the days leading up to it. Damn summer colds.

We flew to Belgium for it and I assume the air con on the plane ruined my throat. Ended up with no voice for the first 2 days which sucked as we met loads of cool people but I couldn't talk to them and had to leave that to my mate.

It was also 38c so all in all I felt like shit. After it cleared up though had a great time on Saturday and Sunday.

l2iv6

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
earlier this year I visited Japan, and in the first day I could barely sleep because I was feeling so sick in the stomach. I'm still not sure if it was what I ate, or whether it was just really bad anxiety??

then when I was in Kyoto about two weeks later, one afternoon I got super ill and ended up almost fainting! When I got back to my hostel, I threw up too many times to count, and basically just laid there in agony for a day and a half. Saying "it sucked" is a total understatement

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
As a kid, ended up with severe gastro on Christmas Day. Entire family went away for the day, I spent it rotating ends on the bowl. In a positive twist, what little I spent away from my temporary home was spent in front of the PS1 with the newly acquired Spyro, so not all doom and gloom!

KaufLive

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I got sick on December 31st 1999.... At midnight, I spent 2 minutes standing outside and had to go to bed immediately afterwards. Had to cancel all my plans... Could have been worse, at least my PC didn't stop working!

loob

Oct 25, 2017
Minnesota
I got pneumonia in the middle of September this year and was out for a month. During that time I missed a concert with my girlfriend, missed out on the friend's party, missed the Zombie Pub Crawl and couldn't do anything but sleep on my birthday.

Good thing I'm feeling better now, got a Halloween party together. Gotta make up lost time.

Con Con

Oct 25, 2017
For me it was the Skyrim launch. Was at gamestop at midnight with a group of friends, and I had a raging headache and couldn't breathe out of my nose. Picked it up at midnight just to fall asleep when I got home

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
I was scheduled to go whale watching.
Threw up the night before.
Two separate times.
I've never been whale watching.

Damien1928

Oct 27, 2017
Last Christmas Eve, I caught a sickness bug and was vomiting all night and through the day of Christmas, was heartbreaking, I have two kids (at the time 2 and 8 years old) and I put so much effort into buying and thinking of their gifts, I spend all year planning Christmas and birthday presents and I was destroyed i didn't get to fully spend Christmas Day with the family, I've slightly made myself paranoid/anxious it's going to happen again this year.

I currently booked a week holiday off work and the second day I caught a bug, still Not recovered.

My immune system is getting a beating

Kelpie

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Virginia
I got chicken pox the day before a school field trip on a boat which included a trip through a canal lock. We usually got 2 trips a school year but that year we only had one so I was really looking forward to it..

I've still never traveled on a canal but I plan to do the Panama canal some time in the next few years.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I was homeschooled my junior year of high school because of illness. I'd say it sucked, but it was pretty awesome. Went back for my senior year, though.

Oct 27, 2017
I slept through the fall of the Berlin wall on November 9th, 1989 thanks to the flu. While I did watch the famous press conference in which GĂĽnter Schabowski announced that the borders between the GDR and the FRG/West Berlin would be opened 'effective immediately', I did not realise the significance of what he said.

Imagine my surprise when I woke up the next morning and my dad excitedly told me that the wall had essentially come down.

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
This year. I was looking forward to a bike ride event all year long. Got sick the week of the event and couldn't make it, I was very upset.

At least I'll get to do it next year.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One time I got ridiculously sick and I'm sure it was 100% psychosomatic. I had signed up to hang some photographs at an event, and in the meantime I had to work way more then I was expecting so when the day came I still had a bunch of work to do to get ready. I was schlepping myself all over town, and it was raining, and I kept missing busses, and when I started I felt fine but by the time the event came I had a headache and I was sweating and throwing up. Then afterwards I went home and felt fine. It was super annoying.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been looking forward to today for months. Mario Odyssey and Stranger Things 2 on the same day. My hype was off the charts.

But then...last night around 8ish, I started feeling warm. Throat a bit scratchy. By the time Odyssey was about to be unlocked at 11 p.m. CST, I was feeling like death. I had to gather all my strength to play the first hour or so before collapsing in bed.

And I just woke up. 101 degree fever. Feels like there's a cactus in my throat. I'll still play a bit later and watching Stranger Things on the couch won't be the worst thing to do on a sick day, but it just sucks to feel miserable on a day you were really looking forward to. And my wife and I are supposed to go out tomorrow night for our 9-year anniversary (which was Tuesday) so hopefully I'm feeling better by then.

Any similar experiences?
Sounds like strep

Lord Beerus

Oct 27, 2017
Christmas 1993. I woke up with the flu. We didn't go to anyone's house that day, but it was still a good day. My grandparents visited us and my brother and I got to play with our brand new Jurassic Park toys all day. Well, I played with mine when my fever broke.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I got a cold on Thanksgiving two years ago. Totally worth it, my mom's family sucks.

Marjorine

Oct 27, 2017
The Christmas when I got my Sega Genesis was particularly cruel.

The Genesis didn't work, so we had to return it the next day. Thankfully they had one to exchange it for. Then I got sick at the mall before we went back home, turned out to be the flu, was sick as hell for a week and then had like two days left of holiday break when I finally felt well enough to play.

Altered Beast wasn't worth all that.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Not me but last year my kitty was diagnosed with cancer three days before we were due to fly out for thanksgiving. It wasn't fun that year.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I often get sick on days I take off work for some reason

it's annoying :\

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One year I got so sick on Christmas morning that I couldn't even open presents, so I stayed in my room and watched all 5 Planet of the Apes movies in one go in a full fever state.

FelRes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CA
I had to miss the senior day trip to Knott's Berry Farm in high school. I was so mad that day.

Also got food poisoning while at Disneyland for an orchestra thingy.

MotherFan

Oct 27, 2017
In 2015 I had just gotten back from traveling for work. We had a couple co-workers get a really nasty flu. I ended up coming down with it on the 24th of Dec, and was sick for a few days (could not even make it through a whole movie). Felt bad delaying Christmas for my family, but my wife set up a mini tree on the living room table :)

Chet Rippo

Oct 26, 2017
Just this year while on vacation I got an acute case of pancreatitis and had to get my gallbladder removed. I spent more time in the hospital than at the lake!

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Had a sinus infection when I went to the final Motion City Soundtrack show before they disbanded and 3/4ths through their set, because of how loud, crowded, and hot it was, I felt myself getting more and more sick. Finally I ran out of the crowd to shove my way into the bathroom to vomit up water. I couldn't stop puking after that and had to leave so I sat outside the venue listening to the final songs being performed all while simultaneously crying + puking.

One of the most frustrating feelings ever because I knew I couldn't do shit about being sick. Plus I had anticipated going to that show for weeks. Im glad I at least got to see them perform many of my favorite tunes from throughout the years before they disappeared into adult life 4ever.

Oct 27, 2017
Two come to mind:

Missed a final for a Japanese class. Which made the whole class not count - your whole grade was based on it :( same illness as below, before diagnosis.

Very ill before a now defunct Jrock convention. I was too excited to miss it so I went to the con/concert anyway. Next day I was wrecked and sick plus a headbanging headache. Got diagnosed with colitis :(

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I recall as a child one of my first Christmas memories, must have been quite young, maybe 4 years old, include me laying on our old sofa oppsed to our Christmas tree resting my head on my grandmas lap. I had come down with a bad case of middle ear inflammation (I had that all the time as a child) but on Christmas? That was tough on me. I still recall that my 1-year younger sister was unpacking her presents entusiastically while I was just passively watching.

A few years ago one parent at work decided to send their sick child to kindergarten claiming she was okay again and not infectious. Two hours with said child got me an upset stomache for the holidays, due to which I couldn't eat anything of our delicious Christmas dinner. I sat there with a crappy soup instead. Oh boy, had I been mad. We were still celebrating and everything and it was fun, still to miss out on the selfmade food...

When I returned to work 4 days later, I gave them a talk about how irresponsible that was of them.