• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like his rant was triggered by the awful netcode in PUBG where the tickrate is ~17. (source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwZ_NUruGTM) Netcode in itself is prone to imperfections like the one that got him killed while he was around the corner behind safe cover, but higher tickrates help to greatly reduce this phenomenon. Keep in mind that CSGO players complain about 64 tickrate on the official Valve servers and swear by 128 tickrate as what should be the gold standard and they can feel the difference, and CSGO is the kind of game where a frame can make all the difference in a match since anyone can pretty much die from like an AK headshot. Granted the high playercounts of PUBG makes it so that lower tickrates help reduce server strain, but given these facts, it's laughable that the developers think they can turn this into a competitive game when it's already heavily RNG-based. And just like CSGO, a frame can make all the difference in a PUBG match.

So really, he's sick of the developers taking so long to fix the issue if they are even trying to fix it at all (they, in fact, worsened the problem in a recent update), and he is financially motivated to keep playing the game with the issues that constantly aggravates him.

I dont play pubg, but I hear a this a lot about getting killed around corners, and if true that the tick rate is 17, bluehole should be ashamed of that, although according to what I read from players they got way more than just that as problems they need to deal with

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stop buying and supporting unfinished games?? Streaming said broken and unfinished game supports that game, rant if you want to rant but take action if you want change

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
That salt

I'm really getting tired of this myth that games 20 years where somehow less bug free than they are today. Play any game enough and you'll see the cogs breaks, that's just how software works. That being said getting shot around the corner doesn't have anything to do with bugs.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
I play a ton of PUBG, but I have 0 respect for the developer when his game is buggy and full of shit code and hes still pushing to make it an esport before its even ready. Thats just shitty.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago

Not too much substance but hey I feel him and thought I'd share.

In before who.gif

I think the crazy thing is right now popular streamers can't play much other than PUBG. Obviously, those who focus on a specific game don't have that issue but I've noticed a lot of big streamers who HAVE to stream PUBG. They have to do it because it's just irresponsible not to when they get so many views compared to other games. In 2017 the most popular game on Twitch is Early Access.

I watch Tim on the regular, he seems bored with current games besides WoW. He loses tons of viewers when he plays anything but Overwatch or PUBG. He isnt Lirik who gets 15k+ for any game, and I get his issues with it, but all he has to do is play something else. Vinesauce is a perfect example of playing whatever the fuck he wants and being entertaining while keeping a solid view count.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Variety streamers say you're wrong. I see many many streamers playing different games. CohhCarnage is someone I really admire and follow whenever I have time and he plays different games all the time.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
I dont play pubg, but I hear a this a lot about getting killed around corners, and if true that the tick rate is 17, bluehole should be ashamed of that, although according to what I read from players they got way more than just that as problems they need to deal with

Recently a player had to point out that many of the fences in the game were coded "one-way" shootable. That is, if we are on opposite sides of the fence and Im on the "good side", you can see me and shoot all you want, you will never hit me. I am completely safe from you for no visible, discernable reason.

That and vehicles still randomly crashing into invisible rises.

really, the list of bugs in this "esport ready game" is shameful

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Recently a player had to point out that many of the fences in the game were coded "one-way" shootable. That is, if we are on opposite sides of the fence and Im on the "good side", you can see me and shoot all you want, you will never hit me. I am completely safe from you for no visible, discernable reason.

It honestly feels pretty good to me for an early access title.

Kusanda

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand the anger in where he is coming from. If you're a full time streamer trying to maximize viewers then you are going to play whatever is popular, and in the past it has usually been bigger budget, more polished full releases. It just so happens that the hottest thing right now is an early access game with a lot of technical issues so you either deal with it or play something else and lose viewership.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

It's a game that's in full production. Bugs are expected. The esports part isn't tho that's strange. I suppose there's a lot of good players who play it which explains that part specifically.

Oct 25, 2017
He's not wrong about an industry that is reducing its standards to what *they* see as a practical standard, but seeing as how the game he is playing is Early Access it seems like a strange game to forward as proof when there are other far more "finalized" products that have come out and been far, far worse judging by the success of PUBG.

Ashandarei

Oct 28, 2017
He is currently streaming Overwatch for 17k viewers in a penguin costume, with a top daily donation of $500. I think his ranting about pubg is just to entertain his viewers.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's his job. It's okay to vent and we all do about ours jobs, but I don't post it on YouTube.

He didn't. People snip his twitch streams and post them. He's actually really popular and gets more viewers with his main game Overwatch.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand Tim's rant. I've seen him play other games and still maintain high views. He doesn't need to play PUBG if he isn't enjoying it. He's got a huge dedicated following that will watch whatever he streams. Max can play other fighting games he enjoys. He's not shackled to Street Fighter.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oooof course this thread is filled with "boo hoo like playing games for money is so hard".

Why is empathy so lost on people when it comes to streamers/youtubers. I don't get it.

Edit: Holy shit I didn't even catch the rage dab at first. 10/10.

Oct 25, 2017
Upstate NY
Sounds like a rant based on just dying lol.

Also, I don't think a streamer "only" being able to play PUBG is a problem. In my mind, a streamer should be the personality, and the stream should be about them, not the game.

I get playing what's hot right now, but if someone is good enough, they can keep their audience with other games.

Well, him dying in that game there was definitely the straw that broke the camel's back, but his complaints are entirely valid. His points here are ones that I've been making for a long, long time. The industry has changed, and while I understand video games are a business and their bottom line is to keep appeasing investors by making more and more money each year, this 'games as a service' stuff is bananas. And yet, as gamers, here's the conundrum we face: We either hold firm and not buy anything that goes against our consumer values, or we play the games we still think we'll have fun with and voice our opinion online, hoping the studios will hear it and do something about our complaints.

Microtransactions and DLC are here forever, and the reason why they are, is because yes, consumers have been conditioned for a long time to find these models acceptable. People are so up in arms over loot boxes now, they're at a point where they'll gladly take MC's and DLC... because that's the world we're living in right now.

However, this streamer also needs to realize something else: Video games have never been about charity, either. Arcade machines have been around longer than he's been alive, and their sole purpose was to keep sucking quarters out of us every 15 seconds. Getting more money out of gamers isn't anything new... its face just changes constantly.

We just have to pick our battles, I guess.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, BlueHole sponsored an Invitational. They spent money putting together a competitive event of their game. If thats not pretending to be esports ready Im not sure what is.
What better way would you have to test a game in a esports environment to know what to do to improve on that front?
From a interview after the invitational
The team are fresh from putting on an invitational event, raising $220,000 for charity Gamers Outreach. "We really wanted to do an invitational because raising money for charity is something I've done with Battle Royale since I started the game mode in the Arma series." said Greene. "We wanted to put on just to show off the game in a competitive setting."

The event came together in a little under three weeks. "It was really funny," said Greene, "people were telling us, "Oh, the spectator camera is crap." Stuff like this and all these kind of lovely comments that you get in Twitch chat, but they didn't realise the camera didn't exist three weeks ago, that they (Bluehole) kind of put everything that you saw in the invitational together in about three weeks."

Regardless of the push to get the game match-ready, Greene says that for he and the Bluehole team, esports isn't a priority.

"We really truly believe that for any esport to form around Battle Royale, the game, number one, has to be stable, it has to be competitive and we have so much research and work to do to get it to that state."

The team aren't going to be pushing esports just yet, because Battle Royale will need work to become a viable esport product. However, they've hired Chris 'Panky' Pankhurst as the team's esports product manager. "It's not to start doing esports straightaway but more for him to start planning, start figuring out what we actually need from the game for it to be a successful esport." said Greene "We're not jumping headlong into esports. We really want to make sure that we've got a great platform first and make sure we do everything in small steps so we're not rushing into it."

Battlegrounds_Bragging.png

Esports might be a far off destination, but Greene and Bluehole are already preparing for the journey. The Battle Royale genre does need some adjustments made to make it as competitive as it could be: many people have been critical of the RNG element to the game.

"Hearthstone is RNG based too, right?" said Greene with a laugh. "So, we're trying to do things to kind of reduce the RNG and you can see that in the game.

"If Battle Royale really was super RNG then you wouldn't have people at the top of the leaderboards but players that play the game that are consistently good because they know the right strategies to play during the game, how to play the game to win. While it is RNG, it's RNG with limits."

"We're working hard to ensure that there's good loot balance across the island. Yes, there will be certain areas that will be more high risk to go to to get better weapons, but you'll still be able to find those better weapons in low value loot areas, just the way the system's set up. So I believe Battle Royale can be an esport, but we just have to tune it a little bit just to reduce that RNG, because with 100 players, yes, the RNG can really play a part but if we take the player count down to maybe 64 players, it reduces less of the RNG because you can choose when to jump from the plane so you don't have to get into a fight straight away."

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
personally, I only watch streamers I like, and it's very rare that they play only one game for an extended period of time, they usually switch it up every now and again

though it is fun watching Tietuesday play Eternal when he plays draft

Deleted member 27647

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I know a handful of streamers who draw in an average of 400-500 viewers per stream but are still able to make a living off of streaming thanks to considerable fan support (Patreon, high percentage of subscribers among viewers, etc.) Most of these are variety streamers who stream whatever they feel like.

If playing something other than a single game isn't financially feasible, streaming might honestly not be a healthy source of income for you.

Oct 28, 2017
Well, like any other job, nothing crushes the soul as efficiently as doing a job you hate for hours on end. This what happens when your hobby crosses the free market.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That rage dab though. It never crossed my mind ever until now that streamers that want to maintain as many views as possible are somewhat held hostage by PUBG. I'm not saying streamers can't be successful by not playing it. But, PUBG has a gigantic portion of streaming viewership by the balls right now.

This game I can tell is absolutely not ready for the December release.

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't understand the appeal of the game in question but the guy has a point. Most popular games these days seem like unpolished betas or trojans horses for dlc.

Oct 27, 2017
The Ether
The game he is playing is very open about being in early access.

It's also very possible someone else shot him. Likely, even.

The rage dab was awesome though, haha.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
These big PUBG streamers play the game for 8-10 hours straight every day since the game's early access release, you can see them getting frustrated with the game and should take a break from it. I know why they don't and it's because over the months they've built a part of their audience (naturally as a result of streaming it so much) around PUBG and those people only want to see PUBG and nothing else.

That's why I've always thought that variety streaming on twitch is the most sustainable thing to do than just focusing on a single game forever or for a long period of time. I love PUBG too but I play it every odd day for 1-2 hours, there's quite a few frustrating things in the game that is hopefully fixed with release, dying like he did happens quite often and it really takes you out of the game and makes you want to go play something else.

Besides, the issue he describes with games nowadays is mostly an issue you find with big titles, way less prevalent on the side of mid range and smaller budget games. Take for example Divinity: Original Sin 2 as a RPG compared to big budget RPGs in recent years (TW3 being a notable exception), Larian is a much smaller budget studio than something like EA yet the quality of their game surpasses any big budget RPG in recent years.

Last edited:

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Really weird reading the start of this thread, where the discussion somehow immediately started off as "streamers have to play games they don't like" when the video seems much more focused on PUBG's jank-ness.

A game having frustrating bullshit doesn't preclude someone from continuing to enjoy the game.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does he know it wasn't someone off to his side that pegged him? Man just seems mad as fuck in the heat of the moment.

Have you played the game? Some firefights can be so random with hits not registering and what not.

https://youtu.be/KV1IDAkEXv4

The concept is great but all of the bullshit in the game make it really frustrating to play. I'll comeback once it officially releases to check out if they've ironed out all the issues...

Really weird reading the start of this thread, where the discussion somehow immediately started off as "streamers have to play games they don't like" when the video seems much more focused on PUBG's jank-ness.

A game having frustrating bullshit doesn't preclude someone from continuing to enjoy the game.

Yep, I agree.

Last edited: