• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't come to the UK, eat at a Hungry Horse, then complain about British cuisine.

Outlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
USA.

I've noticed more people are against tipping these days, but I still do.

If the meal is under $40, I usually leave a $5. Same goes for Pizza deliveries. I hand the driver a $5, no more no less.

If over $40, I go by the 15/20/25% rule depending on how good the service was.

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
In France it's mostly included in the prices already (+ there's actually a minimum wage here), so tipping isn't so frequent. If I'm paying with cash I'll let them keep the change but that's about it.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You tip taxi drivers? No chance would I ever do that given their extortionate rates.
well i rarely ever do take a taxi. only if i'm going to the airport really. i just don't wait for my change. if it comes to £9.20 then i'll give a £10 note. last time i got a taxi it was because my car broke down and i needed to get to work quick (or nobody else would get in the building). it came to £6 so i just gave them £10.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
roughly 10%. There's no law against not-tipping but you're a jerk if you don't do it.

Waiters
Delivery Services
Taxi Drivers
Hairdressers and other Beauty Services

Edit: that's Germany of course

Last edited:

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
Finland: Basically no tipping culture. Some people tip in the really nice restaurants. I do not since they are super expensive anyways.

freeradical

Oct 27, 2017
Aussie.
Don't really tip anywhere. Keep the change is prob as far as I go.
I do struggle keeping track of percentage to tip when I travel to the US.
Always leave something for housekeeping though.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
In the US and tipping is essential. If you are against tipping, do not continue giving the multimillion dollar corporations money. Don't take it out on your server

Last edited:

Wilson

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well i rarely ever do take a taxi. only if i'm going to the airport really. i just don't wait for my change. if it comes to £9.20 then i'll give a £10 note. last time i got a taxi it was because my car broke down and i needed to get to work quick (or nobody else would get in the building). it came to £6 so i just gave them £10.

Ah right yeah, fair enough, I've left the change as well but never thought of it as a tip for some reason.

Zevenberge

Oct 27, 2017
In the Netherlands, tipping is optional and generally seen more as a compliment than as a reward. I barely ever tip, only when the service was excellent (at a restaurant). In the past, we always tipped in when eating with a group, but that has reduced over the years.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Spain here, people tip in restaurant if they feel like the service has been good, a lot of people do it YET it's not either forced or expected. Overall the tipping culture is minimal, especially compared to the US.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I work as a Waiter during my time a t university here in germany, and tips are in average from 5-10%. I wouldn never do the job if it werent for the tips, because most times you have to be everything to these persons, from psychiatrist, to mother and father, and it can be exhausting.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
From Ireland. Don't think I've ever tipped anyone in my whole life here. I would certainly never in a million years tip a taxi driver given the ridiculous prices. Doubly so when I travel to the UK as they have extortionate rates over there. A 15min trip from Old Trafford to the Airport spmetimes sets you back £50. I'm not even sure if the inflated prices after games is legal but they do it anyway.

As others have mentioned though, people often round up to the nearest note and do a "keep the change" sorta tip.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Only if waiter was exceptionally good, that's how it was always here.

vider

Oct 27, 2017
Slovenia
Slovenian here. People don't really tip here, except maybe in restaurants and bars. And even then it's more of a "keep the change" thing, than proper tipping. Like dosh above me said, I also feel that that used to happen more when I was a kid in the 80's, and happens way less nowadays.

Oct 27, 2017
Coming from the US, 20% rounded up to the next dollar (at restaurants).

Now I live in the UK. I don't do that anymore, but I never know what's appropriate or not...

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No tipping in Japan. I'm sure the pay is shit at a lot of places, but that is no excuse for subpar service.

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
Croatia

Tips in restaurants and nowhere else, even then they aren't seen as necessary and are just a nice bonus.
Service staff is actually paid here.

Currygan

Oct 25, 2017
England. Service charge is not mandatory, but it's certainly appreciated. Some top hat restaurants do require it, but I've never been in one of those

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
England, I'd tip 10% or so in a nice restaurant, unless they have a service charge in the bill. Never tipped in any other context.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
In the Netherlands we tip in restaurants when we are satisfied with quality and service. But you can also just pay the bill without a tip. Sometimes you tip people when the service is above avarage for their extra effort.

Forcing people to tip is dumb. Just pay them a better wage.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
UK here.

In no way is a tip expected. Tips must be earned. That means going above and beyond the essentials of the job.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
USA here. I still don't get why the customer pays out the ass for gratuity and tip charges, when the employer pays their workers jack shit per hour, and makes bank.

edit: in restaurants, bars, etc.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
It's not really common in Australia. Occasionally you might get a cafe/restaurant put a tipjar on the counter but it's very rare, and isn't up there too often. Only time it comesup is when I get Pizza delivered I might just tell the deliveryperson to keep the change.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
In Greece tipping happens mostly in restaurants and taverns. In some places they offer you fruits or dessert for free in the end.

Tips for pizza delivery are common too.

In cafés tips are less common. But unlike other countries, they offer you the water for free and if you order beer or cocktail, they bring you extras like peanuts, cucumbers or carrots spiced in vinegar etc.

Socrates

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tipping 10% or more would be standard in restaurants in the UK (its often included on the bill). I check if the staff receive the money, if they don't, then I remove it from the bill. People will also sometimes tip delivery drivers, barbers and taxi drivers.

I think it creates a very negative culture, where staff are over-friendly and fake because they want a tip. (As does shop-floor staff getting commission on sales) I always find it objectionable when I visit the states. It is probably my number one irritation when visiting as a tourist.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Canadian here. We tend to tip usually at restaurants. My rule is around 10 to 15% depending on how good the food and server was. Not tipping at a sit down restaurant is a bit of a faux pas.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the idea was pretty much non existent here in iran, but it's starting to be a thing, specially in fancy resturants.
i don't like it :|

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
Singapore, we don't tip as it goes to the restaurant and not the staff that was waiting on you

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK here

We don't have a tipping culture outside of expensive restaurants. I'm not about to give someone a tip for just bringing food from the kitchen to the table. That's their job

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
I almost always tip and tip a little more than I need to since I'm easy to please just keep the refills coming thats my only thing. I go to great clips for the occasional haircut or restyle they're pretty cheap and I always give the stylist a 5.00 tip.

I'm in the US I've never had to wait tables but I've worked food and I'm in retail those two industries are by far the worst to their employees so when I tip more than I need to I do it as a slient salute to the workers.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
No tipping culture in the Netherlands. It's more a case by case thing.

General rule of thumb is I don't tip when I'm alone, but I do tip in groups.