• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
this is such a fucked up mentality when tips simply bring pay up to minimum for many people.
rewarding bad service with good tips goes against the whole point of tips in the first place.
if they can't give good service, then why are you working in a job reliant on tips?

I think the whole tip system is terrible, it's a problem that needs to be fixed.
but giving these employees a guaranteed 20% tip is NOT the solution.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
rewarding bad service with good tips goes against the whole point of tips in the first place.
if they can't give good service, then why are you working in a job reliant on tips?

I think the whole tip system is terrible, it's a problem that needs to be fixed.
but giving these employees a guaranteed 20% tip is NOT the solution.
Unfortunately some people end up in situations where they all but have to work a tipping-paid job due to lack of skills, experience or even just environment. This argument about "get a better job" is one I will absolutely never agree with, even though the logical conclusion, bereft of context, is correct.

Tip system is absolutely terrible, however. It's gotten worse, lately, with even people who don't traditionally get tipped have tipping on their POS machines or have karma jars or other such horse manure. Those are the ones I hate most, but I have a real problem with expecting a tip for a job that required minimal effort but is somehow affected by how much I should tip solely by the cost of what I bought.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Unfortunately some people end up in situations where they all but have to work a tipping-paid job due to lack of skills, experience or even just environment. This argument about "get a better job" is one I will absolutely never agree with, even though the logical conclusion, bereft of context, is correct.

Tip system is absolutely terrible, however. It's gotten worse, lately, with even people who don't traditionally get tipped have tipping on their POS machines or have karma jars or other such horse manure. Those are the ones I hate most, but I have a real problem with expecting a tip for a job that required minimal effort but is somehow affected by how much I should tip solely by the cost of what I bought.

I'm not sure this is exactly what you're saying, but what I'm hearing is that absolutely servers should be tipped 20% even if they can't give good service because they may be stuck in that job and need to pay the bills, but if someone else also making minimum wage wants a tip, it's offensive? Because of the perceived level of effort?

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was a server/bartender for years, and made BANK because I was good at it. People who "didn't make a livable wage" belonged in a different job and would usually wind up there before long.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I'm not sure this is exactly what you're saying, but what I'm hearing is that absolutely servers should be tipped 20% even if they can't give good service because they may be stuck in that job and need to pay the bills, but if someone else also making minimum wage wants a tip, it's offensive? Because of the perceived level of effort?
No, I'm saying a baseline tip level is ridiculous to begin with, but saying "get a better job" as a counter argument to it is also a bad argument. If you give good service you, well, did your job. I just personally find all of these tip jars in places that didn't used to have them, even places like goddamned Chipotle, is asinine and turns me off.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No, I'm saying a baseline tip level is ridiculous to begin with, but saying "get a better job" as a counter argument to it is also a bad argument. If you give good service you, well, did your job. I just personally find all of these tip jars in places that didn't used to have them, even places like goddamned Chipotle, is asinine and turns me off.

I'm saying is that a waiter has absolutely no right to complain about a bad tip when they give you bad service.
it's literally part of their job description. It's like a restaurant complaining about bad reviews when they make shit food.

So what i am saying is "give better service, or get a better job"
you can't give bad service and expect good tips.

pxleyes

Oct 25, 2017
Why? Because you say so!
Why should top up someone's wages with my own hard earned money because the system is broken?

10% is more than enough imo and if everyone tipped that amount servers would hit minimum wage and more no problem.
Because you are stiffing the staff, and you know it.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funniest part is seeing the tip culture spread to other jobs, instead of people fighting back. I think there were even some threads about that here, probably months ago.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The % thing never made sense to me. Are waiters at a high-end place bringing you your food better than a more affordable restaurant? Not really. Then why is the amount you tip dependent on the price of the food?

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
I tip based on the experience. I tip more--and in cash--if I enjoyed the whole package. I tip less, and written on the receipt--if the experience was bad. Then everything else falls between those options. I've tipped well past 50% on phenomenal experiences in cash.

I'm more sympathetic to restaurant employees though since I used to be a busboy for a seafood restaurant that had a max capacity of 400 people.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
The % thing never made sense to me. Are waiters at a high-end place bringing you your food better than a more affordable restaurant? Not really. Then why is the amount you tip dependent on the price of the food?

well the servers at high end restaurants actually do a bit more. But even by fixed percentage they make a lot more simply because of the cost of food alone

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wish we would just do away with tipping and pay servers standard rates. Like I don't care if food prices go up. Tipping is an unfair wage.

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
Because you are stiffing the staff, and you know it.
Get out of here with this shit.

When you receive the check, you are responsible to pay for the food you ordered.

Tipping is a bonus that is earned with good service. Don't guilt people because of this fucked up cultural tipping bullshit that exists in America. The customer is paying the restaurant. It's the restaurants responsibility to pay an employee's wage, not the customer's.

Raise dine in restaurant pries across the board. I wouldn't blink an eye if all restaurant prices went up 20% to cover this nonsense.

pxleyes

Oct 25, 2017
Get out of here with this shit.

When you receive the check, you are responsible to pay for the food you ordered.

Tipping is a bonus that is earned with good service. Don't guilt people because of this fucked up cultural tipping bullshit that exists in America. The customer is paying the restaurant. It's the restaurants responsibility to pay an employee's wage, not the customer's.

Raise dine in restaurant pries across the board. I wouldn't blink an eye if all restaurant prices went up 20% to cover this nonsense.
No, tipping is not 'additional' in America. You're literally not paying your waiter by not providing a tip.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
You know what you're getting into by eating out in America. This isn't optional.
Actually? Yes, it is. The only time it's not is when it's clearly printed in a menu that parties of a certain size have automatic gratuity, which I'm better with if only because dealing with large groups is worth it imo.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Is eating out a basic human right? Should Bernie add it to his platform?

Get real. Eating out is a luxury. Factor tipping into your budget if you're going to do it, or don't eat out.

The hostility is insane over this.

I think that someone should be able to eat out if they want to. If tipping isn't in their budget sure maybe it isn't as good of an idea, but they can still do it. Not much you can do to change that.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Who knew "the people who bring you food to consume deserve more than $2/hour even if they're having a shitty day" was controversial. Huh.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Please stop playing semantic games when you understand the issue at hand.
What is the issue? That the laws allow restaurant owners to pay their workers really, really low pay? That they prop up a system where it benefits white, good looking, and individuals in populated metros? Yeah, that seems like the problem. Do you think that old woman waiting at 10 tables in a Denny's in the middle of nowhere Kentucky is making the same as someone in New York City?

You know what the issue is but you prop up a system to help only those fortunate of receiving those good tips. Like, you're not wrong, but you're not exactly helping. Do you contact your state's politicians to forward a system that benefits everyone?

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly hate tip culture. Servers should be paid a normal amount and tipping be OPTIONAL. The fact its okay to pay them less than the minimum is beyond fucked and the fact you push the cost onto the customer is insane. A tip should be a BONUS to a good job. Not a mandatory "social" extra that you feel obligated to do because that person isn't even being paid decently. Its fucking stupid.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it unfair and who is it unfair to?

I've read a lot of horror stories about servers being stiffed or given little in tips. Also, the idea of making less money an hour and having to require on the chance that they get good customers doesn't feel right. Maybe it comes down to personal preference I would rather get a straight wage as opposed to a smaller wage and a chance to make more.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I've read a lot of horror stories about servers being stiffed or given little in tips. Also, the idea of making less money an hour and having to require on the chance that they get good customers doesn't feel right. Maybe it comes down to personal preference I would rather get a straight wage as opposed to a smaller wage and a chance to make more.
It's weird but a lot of folks will want to keep the tip system because they make really good tips even though they know it affects others badly.