• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
It's what I do, and I don't necessarily dislike it more than I think it's a shitty system that places the social onus of paying a livable wage to the wait staff almost entirely on the customers.

If service was absolutely inexcusable in some way, I still tip 20 percent and either talk to management, or never patronize that business again. I don't begrudge others who stiff on shitty service though.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Pay them well enough so that we don't have to hold the fate of their monetary wellbeing in our hands maybe.

You have to truly, really fuck up for me to not tip you. But I reserve the right.

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
We get reprimanded or fired if we do a bad job at work. What bubble is this author living in?

Oct 25, 2017
15 is the default, but I tip more if we ordered cheap. Like, if my wife and I both get water and split a plate of enchiladas (which we often do) you bet I tip more. I try to imagine what the cost would have been if we both ordered individual meals and tip 15% of that.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Some folks tried, and it didn't work so well. Customers didn't want to pay the higher prices.

www.newyorker.com

The Limitations of American Restaurants’ No-Tipping Experiment

Earlier this month, Claus Meyer became the latest restaurateur to abandon the so-called hospitality-included model. His reason: losing tips meant losing customers.

Which is a damn shame. Servers need tips to live as is.
Customers don't like the higher price because they are dumb and can't think 90 minutes in advance. Another big part of those experiments failing is because servers want to keep the tipping system in place because lots of them can make good money doing it.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Who leads the charge to reform? Successful servers can make extremely good money on the broken tip model. Restaurant owners don't want to lose customers. Customers don't want to be forced to pay more.

Its a fucked system. I've worked in the industry my whole life. I assumed these places in NYC, SF and the like would lead the charge to change, but it turns out to largely be a failed experiment.

But as it stands, if I chose to eat out I tip. If I can't afford to tip I can't afford to eat out.
That's more discussion than I am ready to have with you. lol.

I just think a baseline of a living wage is neither unreasonable or warranting of paragraphs of discussion. That feels like...basic shit. If people can make more on top of their living wage via tips, outstanding. Great wait staff should be rewarded if customers want to thank them beyond the base bill. I'll leave it to those who are in a position to facilitate and legislate that kind of change to do so in an amicable and proper way that retains the positives of tipping being an option while ensuring financial security at a basic and fundamental level for an employee.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Sure I just tip money, whatever. I've been exposed to too much service work/ers in my life to not tip. I know how much they rely on those tips and since people raise a fucking stink and have a conniption fit if you raise the price of a goddamn cup of coffee or the price of a burger, that's just the system and how it is. I'd gladly pay more money if I knew the service workers who sometimes don't even live in the city they work their job(s) in would be seeing more money without tips required, but until then, fucking tip.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
America please pay your service workers a proper wage instead of kicking the bill over to regular customers.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In Ontario servers make $12.20 an hour minimum. I tip 12%, which works out to about 15% pre tax.

Tipping system here is stupid, since they already make close to normal minimum wage.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
They usually only offer 12%, 15%, and 17% on the receipts here so I go with the highest one.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah he's wrong on the reasoning - it's the industry that's fucked up, not whether people are obligated to tip. I tip all the time but if the service is particularly bad I drop it down below 20. It's rare but I'll do it. A lot of restaurants here in LA already have service charges tacked on and still want that 20%, and I give it but not going above.

That being said, having just got back from Europe, tipping in itself is trash. The end of a meal shouldn't feel like a rush to figure out who owes what and how much to tip. Just put it in and if people don't like it then they won't eat out and can have their garbage fast food.

Another big part of those experiments failing is because servers want to keep the tipping system in place because lots of them can make good money doing it.

You can make some nice cash but as a former server I would have taken a guaranteed wage and benefits any day over whether or not it was a busy or slow week determining my income.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
470912e787.png
okay so what if I want to tip 40%

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Because the relationship between a server and the customer is extremely complicated and if a server is tending to your every need you should attempt to be empathetic towards just how difficult it is. Many states do not pay servers a proper living wage, the servers don't receive benefits. Often servers have to tip out support staff meaning your money also goes towards the team working hard to enhance your experience. If somebody is giving you impeccable service and you top out at 10% you shouldn't go out to eat.

Even poor service deserves a tip, 10% communicates bad service in the restaurant industry/America. If you live elsewhere it's understood that there will be little to no tip, but if you're America follow the guidelines and don't be a dick.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
He's wrong, tip whatever you're comfortable tipping. It's your money, spend it how you want. Reap the social consequences.

Full disclosure: I tip 20% or more 99% of the time. I tip 20% mostly because it's fucking easier math.

You can make some nice cash but as a former server I would have taken a guaranteed wage and benefits any day over whether or not it was a busy or slow week determining my income.

I go either way on that. I, personally, liked the hospitality business because it was good hard work for ~4 hours, but the harder I worked, the more money I made usually... and I made much more in 4 hours than I could have in another line of work for someone with little to know experience, like retail. Even working at crappy chains, I'd bring home $150-$200 on a Thurs/Fri/Sat night usually working 4-6 hours a night, but only working *hard* for 2-3 hours of that night... And this was in the early 2000s when i was 18, so it was a good amount of money for a relatively small amount of hours of work. It was a good fit for a young person in high school/college, IMO.

Of course, there were nights where I'd be "at work" and only bring home $50 or $60 too, but they were less often and I never felt like i was working hard those nights. If the norm was $50 or whatever then I wouldn'thave stuck around, the norm for me was usually much better than that... It would have been tough to earn that, in that period of time, in another line of work like retail or w/e, where I'd be lucky to make $7/hr back in the early 2000s.

As a teen/early 20s, going to college, I liked the restaurant industry. It's high stress though, hungry people are fucking assholes. And a lot of the people in the industry long term are fuckin dirtbags. No offense to those in the hospitality industry who aren't dirt bags, but FFS, a lot of your colleagues are dirtbags.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's more discussion than I am ready to have with you. lol.

I just think a baseline of a living wage is neither unreasonable or warranting of paragraphs of discussion. That feels like...basic shit. If people can make more on top of their living wage via tips, outstanding. Great wait staff should be rewarded if customers want to thank them beyond the base bill. I'll leave it to those who are in a position to facilitate and legislate that kind of change to do so in an amicable and proper way that retains the positives of tipping being an option while ensuring financial security at a basic and fundamental level for an employee.
I'm not arguing against anything you're saying. Read the articles I posted if you wanna read some nitty gritty on why it didn't work for them.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It really bugs me that restaurants aren't all made to pay a living wage. It can't be one or two as an "experiment", because people will go to places where the food's cheaper.

At the same time, I feel like most servers want you to tip, not to be paid $12-15/hr. They get paid way more that way, which while I respect, doesn't really sit well with me lol.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
I think I only tip below 15-20 if the server just sort of never comes back. Like if I have to physically go find someone for a drink refill it's not a good sign.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Whats crazy is that the US' tipping culture spilled over to here in canada where there is no server wage. So servers make the same $15 minimum wage + 15-20% tip.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. If the service is so so I ain't doing more than 15. Hell if it's really bad I'll give nothing (these are some really rare circumstances though).

Usually 20 to 25 is my top for good service.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I generally tip 20% (it's easy to move the decimal over, and multiple the amount by 2).

But I also don't eat out too frequently and I already consider my tip when I'm budgeting eating out.

But not everyone is in their bag like me.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
15% is pretty much my minimum. I tip 20% or better for good service or if my bill is higher.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Because the relationship between a server and the customer is extremely complicated and if a server is tending to your every need you should attempt to be empathetic towards just how difficult it is. Many states do not pay servers a proper living wage, the servers don't receive benefits. Often servers have to tip out support staff meaning your money also goes towards the team working hard to enhance your experience. If somebody is giving you impeccable service and you top out at 10% you shouldn't go out to eat.

Even poor service deserves a tip, 10% communicates bad service in the restaurant industry/America. If you live elsewhere it's understood that there will be little to no tip, but if you're America follow the guidelines and don't be a dick.
I'm not paying extra just because you did a competent job. Similar to me not paying extra to a taxi because i got to my destination alive. Tipping culture is so weird.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I'm surprised Americans are willing to put up with tipping. They will sell their souls for a $5 income tax cut but they are fine with having to add 15-20% to the cost of their food when dining out. It's pretty weird.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they're right. I always tip around 15% minimum as I see zero reason to hurt someone's income by just being cheap

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Oh God, a tipping thread

Someone pull the fire alarm. It's every person for themselves

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
I agree completely, and do it. I'm by no means rich, just have basic respect for humans working in food service, and I even do it at salons when I get haircuts. If you can afford the service you're pursuing, you can afford to be a good person. If not, by all means cook for your own shitty self and take scissors to your own hair

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
My usual stance is 15 to 20% and I understand that sometimes bad service isn't the fault of the wait staff.

However, if I'm going to tip solely because the government allows servers to make below minimum wage, in CA that means I don't have to tip at all.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
I usually tip 20%, but I still don't buy that it's the standard. 15% is the default and always has been. You don't need to up the percentage as the food prices rise. That's why it's a percentage. 20% is just easier to calculate.
This article is a painfully transparent attempt to set 20% as the absolute floor so the next article can come out claiming that 25% must be the standard.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Tipping percentage going up never made sense. Food costs went up with the price of inflation at the same rate everything else did. What was worth 10 percent 20 years ago isn't suddenly worth 20 percent now.

You don't get a fucking dime from me if the service is bad. If it is mediocre you get 10-15. If it's great you get 20.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
15%-20% as a baseline, then go lower if your service is poor. I've said this before in tipping threads, but it's always interesting seeing members on a relatively progressive/liberal board get all "fuck you, got mine" when it's time to put their money where their mouth is.

it's also crazy seeing people people blame some nebulous, corrupt "restaurant industry" yet fail to realize that their regular participation in said industry perpetuates it.